Sali Hughes #14 Went to the pub during a pandemic, for real! Never mind, feel as you feel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Cooking and at home exercise is where the money is now. I can see a load of gushy articles about how spin and sriracha save my sanity during the corona crisis.

Reactions: 8
I’m probably overthinking things, but to me that makeup-free exercise pic has echoes of the photos that some HCPs have posted of themselves after 12+ hours working in PPE. The indentation marks on her face especially. Not suggesting that it’s intentional at all, but it’s certainly a turnaround from all the airbrushed perfection she’s been posting. She seems to be trying various approaches to find a new niche in the (suddenly vastly altered) market.

Reactions: 14
Well at least she has realised that wearing makeup for exercise isn’t a great idea. I would ditch the necklaces also, though.
You just know she’s one of those ones who never take their jewellery off, ever. There’s one in every Pilates class, jangling away like their entire personality is in six crappy silver necklaces they got in their gap year, or whatever.

Cross-posted with @SqualorVictoria 😀!

Yes, the marks on her nose seemed odd.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Cooking and at home exercise is where the money is now. I can see a load of gushy articles about how spin and sriracha save my sanity during the corona crisis.
Yes - I think you've hit the nail on the head.
'My lockdown exercise journey - thoughts from a workout dodger'.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I looked at exercise bikes when lockdown was in its second week . Argos had sold out in my neck of the woods of the less expensive ones and they’re not back in stock , bastards!😉

Our old one broke and I didn’t replace it , fool that I am.

Sali is mocking me with her #peloton

Reactions: 2
I've got a basic exercise bike (none of your fancy peloton stuff) but I can't be arsed to get it out from the cupboard under the stairs. Which doesn't bode well for motivation. About a year ago I used it a lot and the results paid off in a relatively short amount of time. It's just getting started again.
A few people told me years ago that 46 was the age your body turns against you and I poo pooed it, but omg they were spot on. Something happened almost to the day. I don't *think* I was even perimenopausal then. Possibly I was. But I was eating the same amount and putting on weight which hadn't happened before. To stay 'normal' (for me) now requires so much bloody effort. Eat less, do more exercise just to achieve what had been normal in the past. Plus coupled later with an inexplicable craving for carbs which came out of nowhere.
Obviously this isn't the same for everyone - but it was a shock. Sort of like going through puberty again with the wierd body changes.

Reactions: 9
I have a basic exercise bike that I use on days I can’t be arsed to walk outside or it’s raining. The biggest difference I’ve seen in my 40s from doing HIIT or kettlebells as both seem to spur on metabolism like nothing else. However a 2-month no exercise spell due to bad knee and wrist coupled with lockdown snacking has NOT been great overall.

Reactions: 4
A few people told me years ago that 46 was the age your body turns against you and I poo pooed it, but omg they were spot on. Something happened almost to the day. I don't *think* I was even perimenopausal then. Possibly I was. But I was eating the same amount and putting on weight which hadn't happened before. To stay 'normal' (for me) now requires so much bloody effort. Eat less, do more exercise just to achieve what had been normal in the past. Plus coupled later with an inexplicable craving for carbs which came out of nowhere.
Obviously this isn't the same for everyone - but it was a shock. Sort of like going through puberty again with the wierd body changes.
The same happened to me. Having always been skinny, I put on a stone almost overnight at 46 - despite then running almost daily - and would probably have carried on gaining weight if I hadn't started to control what I ate.

The thing that's worked for me is 16:8 type of diet, where I only eat within around an 8-hour period. I don't restrict what I eat within that time. I find it easy to stick to - and if feels quite good giving your body a rest from constantly digesting.

The same happened to me. Having always been skinny, I put on a stone almost overnight at 46 - despite then running almost daily - and would probably have carried on gaining weight if I hadn't started to control what I ate.

The thing that's worked for me is 16:8 type of diet, where I only eat within around an 8-hour period. I don't restrict what I eat within that time. I find it easy to stick to - and if feels quite good giving your body a rest from constantly digesting.
I do this as well. Never been a breakfast person so I don't find it hard at all.

Reactions: 4
A lot of trouble to go to for someone who has never worked out
I think the trainers are from when she was given a place on the great north run, then given loads of gear and a room etc and then didn’t bother training or running

(I remember because I could never get in on the ballot and was hacked off that she didn’t appreciate it)

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 10
Slightly off topic but if you like spin classes but don’t want to pay a million pound for Peloton, I would recommend the MotionTraxx app. You still have to pay after your free trial but it’s cheaper, it’s good for bikes and treadmills (I use it for sprint intervals).

No sweaty pic because I workout for myself not to tell people I had a workout.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Slightly off topic but if you like spin classes but don’t want to pay a million pound for Peloton, I would recommend the MotionTraxx app. You still have to pay after your free trial but it’s cheaper, it’s good for bikes and treadmills (I use it for sprint intervals).

No sweaty pic because I workout for myself not to tell people I had a workout.
Leaks Mills online also have spin classes online. They are showing loads of classes for free atm because of the old ‘rona.

Reactions: 3
I listened to Fortunately (why did I do it to myself??)
I think she came across ok. Was desperate for more of a probe on the "tweakments" too. And did laugh when Jane Garvey thought she might know about how whales are attracted to each other. Don't think Sali laughed though. Not sure she laughed at all.

She does talk with confidence though, especially when quoting herself. Lolz.

At the start she said something like - yes I've got two teenagers - then few minutes later said one was 12, almost 13. I know, I really know that this isn't a deadly sin but it's a microexample of exaggeration and a white lie that just rolled off her tongue.

Moving on, I'm totally fed up of the Salis (and Fis and Janes) of the world going on about how we all have so much free time now. The kind of free time where you can go and drink champagne in the garden at 3pm cause you've had a stressful day. I don't begrudge Sali being stressed by the way, everyone is stressed albeit for hugely varying reasons. I just hate the assumption that we all have time to read, or not read, books all the time.

My partner and I have a toddler and are both working from home. We literally don't have a spare minute in the day (except right now, I'm making a cup of tea while partner is with child). Our day is far busier than it was before. I'm extremely grateful that it is btw, we're so so lucky and privilidged to be able to work from home and keep our family safe.

And I can easily say that I'd rather not have the "free" time because it would mean that I was furloughed, laid off, ill or.... an influencer. Which is worse?

That's my rant for today. Hope you are all well, especially you @AmberSpyglass . Love to your dad.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Agree re the lack of free time. I’m working much more now - and everything takes that little bit longer remotely and needs additional thought. - can’t just go up to someone and discuss something.

My husband is working stupid hours in finance working out how to keep an international company afloat.

And 2 teenagers at 15 and 17 to deal with - possibly the most impacted ages due to exams and just generally them being crap ages for navigating life anyway (I know this is rubbish for all ages - but I’m glad I’m not a late teenager in this).

I do not have extra time!!! Despite losing 2 hours of commuting.

Edit. - sorry. Selfish rant there. But people like sali have no empathy.

• Sad
Moving on, I'm totally fed up of the Salis (and Fis and Janes) of the world going on about how we all have so much free time now. The kind of free time where you can go and drink champagne in the garden at 3pm cause you've had a stressful day. I don't begrudge Sali being stressed by the way, everyone is stressed albeit for hugely varying reasons. I just hate the assumption that we all have time to read, or not read, books all the time.
Yes, this was exactly what I thought listening to it. Someone said something like "the one thing we could all be doing now is reading more ". It's like they can't conceive of anyone's outside of their circle of mates in the media and "creatives". They know they exist but the conversation they were having certainly didn't take them into account.
As you say people trying to do their usual job and childcare at the same time, proper jobs which have targets and performance indicators which still have to be met, which have service users depending on them being completed. Not writing some bollocks on a weekly basis in front of daytime tv. 9 - 5 (or whatever shift pattern) jobs which still need to be done, just at home. And that's without mentioning carers (both paid and unpaid) and health care workers. I'm sure they're struggling to fill their time! The recently bereaved or those who are ill. And lots of others I haven't thought of whose lives have changed and are struggling, suffering, exhausted. It was a cliche of everything people moan about re out of touch medja types.

And best wishes to @AmberSpyglass, thoughts with you and your father.

My teenagers are in their element, I have 14 and 16 yo sons who spent most of their time out of school in their rooms chatting to friends online and gaming, so little has changed for them. I appreciate I, and they, are very lucky in this regard and sympathise with those who are struggling with it. I thought my sons were the best age for lockdown but clearly not. That'll be me not thinking beyond my media bubble! 🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.