Sali Hughes #14 Went to the pub during a pandemic, for real! Never mind, feel as you feel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wonder if sales really are that high? Or is it just spin? I understand they’ll be a massive increase in home hair dye stuff but why is anybody buying makeup when we’re mostly all stuck at home.
I suspect it's spin. If you tell us everybody else is "treating themselves" (still bothering with makeup), it normalises it, doesn't it? Oh, I thought it was a bit tasteless to be buying things I don't need, but everybody else is, so it's ok.

I don’t get the appeal of Charlotte Tilbury products. I’ve tried a few in the past and they’re average at best (eye shadow, the bronzing and illuminator powder and the mascara), only my opinion of course.
Me neither. Even if she wasn't [alleged to be] such a bleep, I'd still think her whole ethos was tacky as duck.

I don’t like her take on makeup as creating this super sexualised female image curated for the observer (she’s says her husband has never seen her without makeup on). And the silly adjectives she uses to describe products.
Agreed.

Reactions: 7
As for new thread title, I liked the suggestion a while ago for 'A shining beacon of light in the beauty industry' - which was how a SH admirer had described her.

Could combine it with something about her trademark shiny face glowing complexion, as in 'A shining beacon of light in the beauty industry - could try a mattifying powder'.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
My box predictions are:

Tan Luxe
Dennis Gross acid pads ("I love an acid")
both of these DE C Firma, the Biossance eye cream, Ordinary Squalene cleanser, plus a moisturiser Inkey List?

possibly a make up product, CT Pillow Talk or mascara?

the Ugg slippers? Did she call them fake fur in that video? Sali is one of those people who only does nice things/charitable things if she can publicly broadcast it. Like the slippers for the friend who lives alone. Unbroadcast, that would be quite a nice thing to do, but it turned into an I AM A GOOD PERSON promo.

My take is, there are the George Michaels of the world, literally nobody knew about the huge, massive charitable things he did until after his tragic death.....and then there are those, like Sali who either do the massive PR cheque thing/a gazillion photographs/publicise it so much it turns into self promotion.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
both of these DE C Firma, the Biossance eye cream, Ordinary Squalene cleanser, plus a moisturiser Inkey List?

possibly a make up product, CT Pillow Talk or mascara?

the Ugg slippers? Did she call them fake fur in that video? Sali is one of those people who only does nice things/charitable things if she can publicly broadcast it. Like the slippers for the friend who lives alone. Unbroadcast, that would be quite a nice thing to do, but it turned into an I AM A GOOD PERSON promo.

My take is, there are the George Michaels of the world, literally nobody knew about the huge, massive charitable things he did until after his tragic death.....and then there are those, like Sali who either do the massive PR cheque thing/a gazillion photographs/publicise it so much it turns into self promotion.
Yeah why even mention the friend (she mentioned the friend by name and by location too) and her being alone? No need to mention any of these things at all

Reactions: 8
Thank goodness there's only one of its kind!
Like a Dutch clog had a baby with an alpaca. Dr Moreau's slipper line.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
OMG! On your tip off, @skronkywildcat, I did a deep dive into the horror that is @grlpwrgang.

They don’t move without shilling an Ugg slipper. And the fatuous infantilism of it all. It’s like some amazing Chris Morris parody:

Link:

The Grl Pwr Gang could well be the source of SH’s new business plan though...

877EF24F-6868-48FC-8DE5-C9F60242A8FA.png

B7093768-737C-415C-BDB2-0AAF18DDC0E2.jpeg

8B028252-CDCA-4E20-A1A1-401A7B4F8BAB.jpeg

3F40854C-E9D3-458E-BE50-415E87D8D4E8.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
I wonder if sales really are that high? Or is it just spin? I understand they’ll be a massive increase in home hair dye stuff but why is anybody buying makeup when we’re mostly all stuck at home.
Or some sleight of hand where bars of soap and hand cream are being counted as general beauty sales.

If the government can count a single glove as a unit of PPE then I figure everyone’s at it.

Or some sleight of hand where bars of soap and hand cream are being counted as general beauty sales.

If the government can count a single glove as a unit of PPE then I figure everyone’s at it.
I think it's spin. In her latest video she talks about skincare so we don't come out of this looking grey and indoorsy. I mean, that probably is everyone's greatest fear right now....

I'm still doing skincare and don't care if others do or don't. But it is in her professional interests to suggest beauty sales are high. It suggests everyone else is buying stuff and no-one wants to be the only one coming out of this looking grey and beefy.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
  • Sick
Reactions: 1
I think it's spin. In her latest video she talks about skincare so we don't come out of this looking grey and indoorsy. I mean, that probably is everyone's greatest fear right now....

I'm still doing skincare and don't care if others do or don't. But it is in her professional interests to suggest beauty sales are high. It suggests everyone else is buying stuff and no-one wants to be the only one coming out of this looking grey and beefy.
This 100%. Creating a hype and a fear of missing out are classic marketing tricks to generate interest and new sales. I work from the point that everything influencers post on social media is somehow calculated towards more sales- they are not our friends or informed ‘experts’ providing kindly advice for charitable reasons. Also, such a simple trick, but mention Ugg slippers 2-3 times in close succession and lots of people are prob thinking, well yes, I want some for myself now, they seem like a sensible treat in lockdown! Advertising at its best, people!

• Heart
Reactions: 14

This 100%. I can't speak for anyone else but I'm worried about future income and the absolute last thing I'm thinking of is "spendy treats" of any kind. It's kind of sad and paradoxical because her earlier, more honest incarnation would have pointed out that you can get perfectly decent skincare from high street pharmacies and don't have to spend a fortune. Her current influencer self is totally caught in a bind though, flailing around trying to think of ways to make people part with their money. Not this beef-face though ***reaches for Superdrug cleanser***

• Haha
Reactions: 15
This 100%. Creating a hype and a fear of missing out are classic marketing tricks to generate interest and new sales. I work from the point that everything influencers post on social media is somehow calculated towards more sales- they are not our friends or informed ‘experts’ providing kindly advice for charitable reasons. Also, such a simple trick, but mention Ugg slippers 2-3 times in close succession and lots of people are prob thinking, well yes, I want some for myself now, they seem like a sensible treat in lockdown! Advertising at its best, people!
100%. Always always bear in mind that an influencer is out to influence ie get you to buy something they recommend. Nothing mentioned is by chance. No matter how casual and slipped in it may at first seem. That oh so casual approach is their USP. All very carefully calculated and discussed with the vendor.
Esther Walker did an exposé of this when she attempted to be an influencer (she gave up as she hated it). But each IG image put out is discussed beforehand. Pressure put on the IGer to achieve sales and engagement. Very cynical.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Why yes. As an essential keyworker my biggest fear is not looking perfect when the world goes back to normal. I’m positively losing sleep over it. Eye roll.
Don’t get me wrong, I use my days off to try and do a face mask or whatever, to make me feel a bit better about myself. But I wouldn’t go out of my way to get new products, and if I was on lockdown I am not sure I’d have washed my hair for 38 days. It’d probably be self-cleansing at this point!

OMG! On your tip off, @skronkywildcat, I did a deep dive into the horror that is @grlpwrgang.

They don’t move without shilling an Ugg slipper. And the fatuous infantilism of it all. It’s like some amazing Chris Morris parody:
There isn't an emoji capable of expressing my response to this.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Completely agree with everyone who's saying that a 'spendy treat' is the last thing on their mind at the moment.

Both my husband and I are still working (me from home, he's a key worker so out in the thick of it unfortunately) so in one way we're probably a bit luckier than a lot of people in that our income hasn't been reduced, but we don't know what the future holds.
I don't want to get too into it, but basically his job will be safe. Mine is okay at the moment, but harder to know what will happen down the line.

Because we don't know what will happen in the future, we're being cautious with spending. Aside from the regular bills and (thankfully small) mortgage, our only other spend at the moment is the supermarket shop, but I'm not going to go spending stupid money on cosmetics etc, especially when with the exception of my husband, no one is going to see me.

I have a Zoom meeting twice a week though, so I do put make up on for that because I don't want to frighten the rest of my colleagues 😂

Reactions: 11
Completely agree with everyone who's saying that a 'spendy treat' is the last thing on their mind at the moment.

Both my husband and I are still working (me from home, he's a key worker so out in the thick of it unfortunately) so in one way we're probably a bit luckier than a lot of people in that our income hasn't been reduced, but we don't know what the future holds.
I don't want to get too into it, but basically his job will be safe. Mine is okay at the moment, but harder to know what will happen down the line.

Because we don't know what will happen in the future, we're being cautious with spending. Aside from the regular bills and (thankfully small) mortgage, our only other spend at the moment is the supermarket shop, but I'm not going to go spending stupid money on cosmetics etc, especially when with the exception of my husband, no one is going to see me.

I have a Zoom meeting twice a week though, so I do put make up on for that because I don't want to frighten the rest of my colleagues 😂
I can occasionally work from home (manager perks) but am otherwise in the thick of it like your hubby. Wednesday was a working from home day and I was so excited to be in my pyjamas with no makeup, till I realised I had two zoom meetings. Fail!
My job is ‘sadly’ all but guaranteed to be safe, too (I obviously don’t want to lose my job, but I’m sad that my job will absolutely definitely have to exist). My husband is furloughed and it’s a bit uncertain for him, so we are likewise being careful.

I have found it interesting how much less money I fritter away on stuff though, with there being so few shops open, and with me wanting to avoid going to the shops unless I have to. I put myself in charge of buying cleaning products because I’m fussy so I top up on them but not much else. Have saved a fortune on taking lunch in every day and not popping out to the shop for a drink or a bar of chocolate though. Or an accidental raid of Superdrug! Although I’m grateful for previous raids, I’ve got all the skincare I need for months.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.