Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
"speculated wrongly that I engage in secret product placement"

She doesn't get it, does she? Every bit of her 'journalism' is about product placement. Take the products away, and there is....nothing. She doesn't write anything without product placement. She's not a freelance journalist who does a bit of product placement, she's a freelance advertiser who (sort of) does a bit of journalism. She doesn't like to admit that and it's where she's blind to herself.

As an advertiser, she has to comply with the law. She doesn't think she does, because she thinks what she writes is journalism, but without the product mentions, her writing doesn't make sense. That alone speaks to the balance of what she's doing.

Her Guardian column is just one long advertisement (one which the Guardian are probably happy to go along with as they pocket the cash from the affiliate links and pick up beauty advertising in the paper/magazine). It's only beauty, and the income covers her fee and makes them a bit of money. The beauty department wipes its face financially, so they keep it going despite it being long superseded by the selling power of social media.

It's interesting that there is no column this week. I'd love to know whether it was written and submitted but pulled, or whether the break was already arranged.

• Heart
Reactions: 17

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
If Sali really wants to support Hershehons or however you spell it, maybe when this shit is over she should put her hand into her pocket and stop accepting #presstreatments
How fucking dare she preach at us in an attempt to guilt trip. Fuck her

• Heart
Reactions: 17

Baroo11

Are you fucking kidding me? Have I travelled back in time to April 1st?

The last thing I want after a day at work of trying to support seriously mentally unwell people is make up advice by smug people who haven’t got the faintest clue about actual life.

• Heart
Reactions: 16

AmberSpyglass

VIP Member
I’m a cynic too, it’s all about the cosmetic industry and the influencers role in supporting that industry and keeping themselves relevant.

Disillusioned

VIP Member
No column? No ‘extend that pedi with careful camera angles’ tips? No insider info on how to use the dregs of that third bottle of Champers in a Lockdown Glow-boosting Facial? Some of us are sitting here with half an avocado and and a desperate desire to hear more from Mr Hersheshon...

• Haha
  • Heart

Jade Mitzi

VIP Member
Sali, give it a rest.

Discussing her sex life🙄, please.

Who mentioned maintenance shags in the first place , who put it in the public domain ,was it us?
so the impartial observer just got the whole Sali liefest thrown at her. Sali’s biggest lie of course being she doesn’t read here but can quote criticism of her almost verbatim. The criticism that isn’t quite brutal enough to fit her narrative is passed off as a list like this tweet.

Sali, go back and reread your own writing, you know, those vanity pieces on The Pool your friends commissioned you for. You spill it all in them, don’t bring it up if it’s not for discussion.

• Heart

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
Here comes another dose of that old Sali charm
Oh dear...this did make me laugh. Assume her intention with the 'reductive twats' comment was to convey how marketeers view women, except she manages not only to apparently call women reductive twats but also to pour contempt on 'tat manufacturers' who produce 'thoughtless guff'...assume this tat is different from the tat dear Sali markets (to, er...reductive twats). Did any of her followers rush in to defend her right to speak up?!

If only she was good with words...oh.

• Haha

rosemarina

VIP Member
I skimmed through, had to laugh at her holding up the slipper and saying how it was fake fur... erm, more like sheepskin upper, sheepskin inner and rubber sole.
Ah, FFS, what’s the POINT of being the only “vegetarian” in the village if she’s going to wear - and shill- the skin of dead sheep? They don’t die peacefully of old age, Hughes.

• Haha

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
The only reason for the change is there is a bandwagon to jump on...

Another thing I find odd about BB is that their site is very geared up to donors (you can print out your pretty poster, blah blah), but if I was suffering hygiene poverty there isnt anything on how to access their services. There is a single FAQ which says we don't help individuals, only charities but there is nothing to help individuals to locate their nearest charity, nor any answers as to how 'charities' can cobtact BB to get themselves added as a recipient. There's also no information on how much stuff or how many charities or individuals they have helped. I'm not saying anything is fishy, but if you donate, your donation goes into a black hole. You hear nothing and there is nothing on their site.

J4n0Z

Chatty Member
Spotted on twitter that the neighbour in question has sent photographic evidence of said individual to The Times.

• Haha
  • Wow

Aude

VIP Member
Regarding the Cult Beauty blurb, I'd also like to take issue with the assertion that she helps 'her community...avoid wasting money on the 'so-sos' and the 'no-gos''.

One of my main peeves about SH - even before she transitioned from beauty writer to influencer - is that that is simply not what she does. She doesn't says 'this product is a waste of money' or even something like 'there are better products doing the same job'. She only ever(1) gives positive reviews, makes recommendations, encourages spending.

She acknowledges herself that she only gives positive reviews, with the justification that a) she only has limited space and would rather use it to talk about good products and b) even if a product doesn't suit her it might suit someone else. As for (a), she has all the space she'd like on IG and other media/social media. As for (b), why give an opinion on anything then?

(1) I know she once gave a fairly negative IG review to a no-brand supposedly miracle face mask but the whole post seemed designed solely to boost her 'honesty' credentials.

• Heart

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Sali said that Tattle didn't stop, they just doubled down. No, what actually happened was that your Friday rant sent many more people here.

• Haha
  • Heart

Inspired to go and have a nice wedge of Caramel dairy milk.

The language of sin and naughtiness around food is diabolical.

slugella

VIP Member
It is interesting that brands are purely focusing on NHS staff with their discounts and freebies and not other key workers. Is it because it's something the public are more likely to praise them for and therefore give them better PR? I think the NHS are amazing and deserve all the recognition, but it is sad to see other key workers rarely mentioned through the corona crisis. I know a lot of people still having to work in the supermarkets, post office, construction, plumbing etc who are not getting any benefits, recognition, or most importantly any extra protection from the virus.