Jack Monroe #568 Things Jack doesn't understand - Gaslighting, Gas heating, Gastronomy

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had to find this article in its entirety (no Torygraph paywall for me) and it's here:

I understand the points ninnies are making with regard to Jack. Xanthe Clay is an accomplished food writer with many years' experience and she has a better attitude to research and recipe testing than Jack, for sure.

However, my hackles were raised immediately by the blurb for this piece saying you could eat healthily and maybe lose weight for £26/ week.

A very clickbaity approach that, when you read on, is just more of the same claptrap about budget cooking that so many other middle class food writers spout.

For one thing, she claims this is a full 7-day mealplan but the economics don't quite add up.

For breakfast, she suggests baking your own bread but then she doesn't cost any other ingredients like the eggs she recommends you eat it with.

Likewise, she suggests making your own yoghurt -- okay, that's fine at a push -- but then doesn't cost the fruit and toppings she suggests to make it more interesting.

Also, the £26 is supposed to be for one person but all the recipes are for 4 people. So, if you're one or two people in a household, these costings don't work. Unless you bake one loaf and only eat a quarter of it over a week's breakfasts and lunches. Really?

A lot of what she's proposing involves making things from scratch -- bread, yoghurt, stocks etc -- which isn't great for people who are time poor or who have limited cooking facilities (like I do, in crappy temporary accommodation). And, while she loves organic homemade yoghurt, she wants us to all give up meat except for turkey legs because organic, free range is too costly. You have to run your oven a lot to bake bread, roast turkey and beetroot too.

There's nothing much here for harassed family cooks catering for fussy eaters. No suggestions about how to swop out ingredients that are increasingly unaffordable (like butter or olive oil). No sweets or snacks at all. Just a lot of overnight oats, lentils and abstemiousness. No convenience foods like baked beans that really help to stretch budgets and fill tummies.

Her point about weight loss? This isn't supported at all by what she's recommending here -- just clickbait to lure you into the article.

She's not giving Monroesque absurd economics of costing half an onion and a teaspoon of spice but there's no real substance here and little understanding of what it takes to eat well on very little money.

This is just one more middle class foodie telling the povs to eat turkey legs and lentils every day. I'd lose weight too if I had to face that.

Sorry, Xanthe, I'm out.
hey, I’ve successfully lost 10kg this year on the stress and poverty diet.

I wouldn’t recommend it and your mileage may vary. I’m super happy to have started a job last week and the first thing I’m doing when I get paid is going out to eat. A lot.

• Heart
Reactions: 69
hey, I’ve successfully lost 10kg this year on the stress and poverty diet.

I wouldn’t recommend it and your mileage may vary. I’m super happy to have started a job last week and the first thing I’m doing when I get paid is going out to eat. A lot.
Comgrats on your job LobsterStem! Here’s to an upward turn in your fortunes now 🍾

• Heart
Reactions: 32
The problem with our pumbling pixie is that because she tries to elevenrife everything, she forgets that usually there is always someone who knows more.... ( normally its tattle tbf) she seems to live under this impression that she is the most clever, well read, lived person that ever lived and feels like by sharing her 'vast' knowlege that she is somehow improving the country/ world. Someone needs to sit her down and tell her that clever people normally admit they are always learning.

Reactions: 28
I hope it's going as well as her lasagne.

View attachment 2878972
4 years later and still burst out laughing when I saw the picture.
---
Pleeeeeaaaase tell me this is photoshopped.
You can see it in all it's technicolor glory in episode 6 (I believe) of DKL in the Wiki. As unbearable as she is to watch I would recommend braving it. Her absolute ineptitude, her rudeness and unprofessional manner and of course poor Matt with the colour draining away from his face.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 35
I had to find this article in its entirety (no Torygraph paywall for me) and it's here:

I understand the points ninnies are making with regard to Jack. Xanthe Clay is an accomplished food writer with many years' experience and she has a better attitude to research and recipe testing than Jack, for sure.

However, my hackles were raised immediately by the blurb for this piece saying you could eat healthily and maybe lose weight for £26/ week.

A very clickbaity approach that, when you read on, is just more of the same claptrap about budget cooking that so many other middle class food writers spout.

For one thing, she claims this is a full 7-day mealplan but the economics don't quite add up.

For breakfast, she suggests baking your own bread but then she doesn't cost any other ingredients like the eggs she recommends you eat it with.

Likewise, she suggests making your own yoghurt -- okay, that's fine at a push -- but then doesn't cost the fruit and toppings she suggests to make it more interesting.

Also, the £26 is supposed to be for one person but all the recipes are for 4 people. So, if you're one or two people in a household, these costings don't work. Unless you bake one loaf and only eat a quarter of it over a week's breakfasts and lunches. Really?

A lot of what she's proposing involves making things from scratch -- bread, yoghurt, stocks etc -- which isn't great for people who are time poor or who have limited cooking facilities (like I do, in crappy temporary accommodation). And, while she loves organic homemade yoghurt, she wants us to all give up meat except for turkey legs because organic, free range is too costly. You have to run your oven a lot to bake bread, roast turkey and beetroot too.

There's nothing much here for harassed family cooks catering for fussy eaters. No suggestions about how to swop out ingredients that are increasingly unaffordable (like butter or olive oil). No sweets or snacks at all. Just a lot of overnight oats, lentils and abstemiousness. No convenience foods like baked beans that really help to stretch budgets and fill tummies.

Her point about weight loss? This isn't supported at all by what she's recommending here -- just clickbait to lure you into the article.

She's not giving Monroesque absurd economics of costing half an onion and a teaspoon of spice but there's no real substance here and little understanding of what it takes to eat well on very little money.

This is just one more middle class foodie telling the povs to eat turkey legs and lentils every day. I'd lose weight too if I had to face that.

Sorry, Xanthe, I'm out.
No mention of any special equipment to make these things either I take it?

Guest's next misfire with expensive items (such as Doc marten spoon holders) is this!
FB_IMG_1713292422002.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 31

Sorry, Xanthe, I'm out.
My hackles were raised by the fact Xanthe Clay was one of the first to promote the person whose costing technique she’s deriding here.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
My hackles were raised by the fact Xanthe Clay was one of the first to promote the person whose costing technique she’s deriding here.
Quite. She's apparently the Telegraph's "thrift expert" but this probably just means shopping at Waitrose instead of ordering hampers from Harrods on the regular.

I hate myself for being so judgy but she definitely looks like she votes Conservative, has a second home in France and a nanny for her children while she has expensive highlights and entertains her banking hubby's corporate clients.

1713298784910.png

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 40
I made it for the slopalong.

If you’re of a delicate disposition and don’t want to relive my traumatic experience, it was so bad that even my dog wouldn’t eat it
She actually has a talent for transforming edible food into something that a dog wouldn’t eat, and they eat poop.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Hence she gives me heartburn all the time. No amount of saving and scrimping is going to fix a system that's stacked against the poorest.

Nor does working hard makes things better when 6th January is when "the earnings for the typical FTSE 100 CEO will have surpassed the total annual wage for a full-time worker in the UK".

No one can say the cleaners, nurses, teachers, etc, don't work hard but they're not adequately compensated. Or MPs consistently give themselves higher wages, subsidised food and drink, expenses, and so on whilst doing the bare minimum, as proven by how broken this country is at the moment.

But sure, I'll pick up crappy, watery tinned tomatoes and make sure to not enjoy life. You bloody lying, repugnant bellend.

thing is there’s such little substance behind anything she says, that she can just as easily parrot the above if it will score her “cOsT oF CoSeRvATiVe CrIsIs” Twitter points (that she can translate into Paterson/paypal paypigs*).

Almost like her experiences of poverty aren’t based in reality.

*I had to type that out SO many times because my thumbs were determined to type paypugs and yeah thumbs, I get it

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
Was just going to post this
March 2013, so this is absolutely foundational for the Jack myths, including the legendary £5 book token.
Yeah, if she’d had the guts to actually say “I was wrong, that 49p lunch was a false reality, my eyes have been opened” but instead she doubles down by creating a whole new false reality as @muriesnark has pointed out

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Is the horsey lasagna among the choices here? Esp if Xanthe is determined to diss on guest.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 32
bleeping hell. I’ve somehow managed to escape listening to the LBC thing before, and tit. My mother was an alcoholic, and I became very adept at working out exactly how much she’d had to drink over the phone. That performance would have ranked as a bottle of gin and some Toilet Duck for good measure sort of day.
That aside, now she’s back I am suspicious of motive and praying for a chaos.
It’s awful, and she’s absolutely fucked off her chump, slurring with nothing to say. When that came out in Jan 2022 she’d been claiming sobriety since June 2021. Here’s where it came up in the threads last time.
For those who can’t face the whole thing, @Yel captured the maniacal slurred cackling about apples being smaller.
About 4 seconds that sum up perfectly what a complete liar and charlatan she is.

• Angry
  • Wow
Is the horsey lasagna among the choices here? Esp if Xanthe is determined to diss on guest.
Just piping in here after a few vinos:
1) do foodies usually eat lasagne with a spoon?
2) why leave it in the packaging if you’re going to put it on a plate?
3) why has she only eaten out of three or four? Waste food, much?
4) why has she not put wallpaper on the table ffs
5) no shots of her taking photos with her tongue? 🤦
This is performative Jack in a nutshell. It’s pasta joke to be honest

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.