Jack Monroe #382 Any thicker she’d set (unlike her white sauce)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
For the TLDR amongst you, my speed-read gives me "she's being accused of inauthenticy by the right-wing media because she's not traditionally feminine"
Criticism of her is apparently undermining understanding between the classes. Given that the author is clearly stating / wilfully pretending JM has never claimed to be Working Class I’m not really buying much of this

ETA: academic rigour? My Aunt Fanny

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Really want to know how many people were on the publishing team.
Imagine a fresh faced intern tagging along to go the house of a famous food writer for brunch only to be served
View attachment 1542820

"these cherry tomatoes taste...interesting" you say weakly.

"Ah that'll be because I fried them" Jack grins like a Cheshire cat as you eye them dubiously.

"In cheese"

<camera pans into horrified pupil of eager intern before fading fully to black>
I just don’t understand why there are so many ingredients and flavours, and all in a confusing order too? Why avo (smashed) AND spinach (creamed)? Why radishes (pickled, aged) AND tomatoes (chilli cheese fried, wtf)? Why egg damply combined with bread?

A better combo that contains many of the original flavours but in a less unhinged way would be regular toast (buttered), avo with chilli flakes, tomatoes sautéed in olive oil and balsamic, with a scrambled or poached egg. No aeons old radishes needed. If she’s desperate to include the cheese and the spinach, you could wilt it down with a bit of parmesan, salt and pepper, but you really don’t need to.

She truly is the insane bunger-inner of all who dare to call themselves a cook.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 64
I wonder if this is the first time the publishing team have eaten any of her abominations.
It must be slowly dawning on them just what they have done.
Like John Hammond at the end of Juarssic Park.
I have 0 sympathy for the publishing team. If they've read her books and still accepted food from her they deserve all they get imo.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 114
Also interesting that she only posts any content featuring Content when SB is visiting. Rly makes u think.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 96
Dr Rs academic paper which was not written by her is very dry and diificult to read. It talks about austerity and how that’s basically Monroes USP. It also looks at her middle class background and the barrier that raises between her and the working class. The inferences are more interesting than the conclusions for me.

“Monroe utilises a form of feminist anger, affect and irreverent rage (Wood, 2019) in her personal testimonies which is politically productive and can be understood as having the potential to enact change”

Not that she is saying that Monroe could enact change but that she utilises the forms that could. That I do find interesting.
Her platform, which she has never used to anything like it’s full potential, is a springboard that could enact real change in the hands of actual working class women. I’m sure of that. The potential is there, just Jacks too thick and lazy to use it. Although probably she just doesn’t care enough.
It doesn't mention her dodgy dealings at all. i don’t think that was its purpose.
Id be interested to know what other better educated Fraus think. Mine is an academically uninformed viewpoint
Ill read it a couple of times more because I’m sure I missed a lot of nuance

• Heart
Reactions: 41
The cutlery gives me the boak more than anything else. I’m really picky about it for some reason. Can’t be too big or too small and it really needs to be as plain as possible. (Also I insisted on eating afters with a teaspoon until I was quite an embarrassing age.)

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Meanwhile TD is passively posting about the difference between eggy bread and French toast whilst probably grinding their teeth - bless her

• Haha
Reactions: 58
For the TLDR amongst you, my speed-read gives me "she's being accused of inauthenticy by the right-wing media because she's not traditionally feminine"
Not traditionally feminine. Jack of the filler face, stunt hair, 77 lipsticks is not traditionally feminine? Yeah she’s had some short haircuts and occasionally had styles that are gender non-conforming, but overall she’s very much into the girly stuff. A couple of tat sleeves don’t make you unfeminine.

Also I’m posting some vintage Jack because lol.

5EC2AF25-A588-4C6A-8239-60BD8B8B28B3.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 65
I'm still grunking because the chaos just never seems to end these days! But that claim about her secret consultancy work for big food chains is an absolute whopper. Not the burger.

There are thousands and thousands of trained chefs out there who companies could go to for consultancy who are far more qualified than Jack who (correct me if I'm wrong) has had no formal training. Literally the only thing she would have had going for her would have been her name recognition. So it makes absolutely no sense that these companies would hire someone totally underqualified who is only a thing because of her profile, but then demand that her involvement is secret.

Idiot.

Reactions: 56
Not traditionally feminine. Jack of the filler face, stunt hair, 77 lipsticks is not traditionally feminine? Yeah she’s had some short haircuts and occasionally had styles that are gender non-conforming, but overall she’s very much into the girly stuff. A couple of tat sleeves don’t make you unfeminine.

Also I’m posting some vintage Jack because lol.

View attachment 1542922
Sisterwife Jack gives me the creeps honestly

• Haha
Reactions: 56
The cutlery gives me the boak more than anything else. I’m really picky about it for some reason. Can’t be too big or too small and it really needs to be as plain as possible. (Also I insisted on eating afters with a teaspoon until I was quite an embarrassing age.)
I’m really picky about cutlery too. Hate anything that has that metallic taste. I just feel like those old spoons probably taste like licking an old doorknob (insert OH joke here).

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 50
I'm still grunking because the chaos just never seems to end these days! But that claim about her secret consultancy work for big food chains is an absolute whopper. Not the burger.

There are thousands and thousands of trained chefs out there who companies could go to for consultancy who are far more qualified than Jack who (correct me if I'm wrong) has had no formal training. Literally the only thing she would have had going for her would have been her name recognition. So it makes absolutely no sense that these companies would hire someone totally underqualified who is only a thing because of her profile, but then demand that her involvement is secret.

Idiot.
“Yes OK we’ll add ground up Doritos to the burger patties. Just don’t TELL anyone ok?”

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.