Jack Monroe #382 Any thicker she’d set (unlike her white sauce)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Veronicaaa said this too - I think in that instance it’s someone who is acting on behalf of a community group so doesn’t have access to the email used therefore the Patreon account itself, but idk why this person isn’t just cancelling the pre-approved payment via their bank? 🥴 You’d hope for the majority of cases where it’s the original subscriber with access to their email & phone number for 2FA it’ll be relatively manageable? :/ we shall see!
Because Jack hasn't updated and sent stuff out, when you go to cancel, it says unable to cancel subscription due to pending transactions apparently. However Patreon can override that issue if you keep on at them.
Also found out, when you cancel there's an anonymous survey (see below). The more people who say content isn't delivered the more likelihood that the Patreon creators account will be suspended. However Patreon support really push people to talk issues over with creators and with Jack it seems impossible.

Am subscribed to some excellent creators on there who are very engaging, hence knowing a bit about it.

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 56
Avocado and egg is a great combination. Personally I would have just stuck to that. All the other things just make it look a mess (and could be used for other meals, for people who are genuinely skint).
I’d of just stuck with the egg 🥚 not 'cooked' by mackie of course

• Haha
Reactions: 16
When you think about food poverty and budgeting this also shows an utter disregard to the issue.

She could have just made eggy bread. Then saved the other ingredients for a salad; with some of the freezer fish to create another meal. The greens, tomatoes, avocado and cheese would be lovely with some protein. We know she has chicken in her freezer. It is so wasteful.

Not to mention that the team probably would have been happy with a coffee and a biscuit!
Agreed. It's all so incredibly wasteful. Like Jack thinks she really is some god given, mercurial wonder cook because she threw all that together, and the thing stayed together long enough for the photo op. Plus she didn't set the kitchen alight. But just because you can scrape some leftovers out of the bin and fry them up doesn't mean it will taste or resemble anything fit for human consumption. She must know this right? Right?

Reactions: 27
Of Jack's 811 patreon members, how many do you think are regular twitter users?
I would be interested in knowing how many patrons aren't seeing the train crash that is unfolding

Reactions: 25
Dr R just put up this link
For me that was a painful read (not in a good way). And ill-informed at that. Contrary to what this piece states, she’s claimed to be working class on numerous occasions across the years. There are swathes of this piece that could be seized upon by Jack as a “gotcha” to any criticism of her (and not solely the compare and contrast with bad Jamie Oliver). And there are parts that are just nonsensical.

I am not coming from a position where I want or expect everything about her to be critical and get a thrill out of anything critical published. I thought that newer piece by Katie Roache (I’m making that name up I think-the one in past couple of days on the PDF download) was poorly written, inaccurate on even some basic facts and added nothing for eg. But particularly in the case of a press article or as here, academic research, I do expect it to be based upon rigorous (ie more accurate) research rather than, as here, cherry-picking to fit a predetermined academic thesis/argument. Some of this is so contorted to fit that thesis as to be nonsensical.

Also, and I say this as a former ‘academic’ with an actual Doctorate, but duck me, academic writing can’t half be dry as duck while being as overblown as duck- a bit like the writing equivalent of a hoop skirt made of radiator orange peel on a rollercoaster on a particularly windy day.

PS I’m also irritated that it takes no issue with her Jeremy Kyle shite- almost lauds it as JM being clear she’s MC in fact

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 63
Because Jack hasn't updated and sent stuff out, when you go to cancel, it says unable to cancel subscription due to pending transactions apparently.
Oh, is that what it is? Talk about Catch-22. Wanting to cancel because you're not getting the goods, can't cancel because you're not getting the goods.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 40
Really want to know how many people were on the publishing team.
Imagine a fresh faced intern tagging along to go the house of a famous food writer for brunch only to be served
View attachment 1542820

"these cherry tomatoes taste...interesting" you say weakly.

"Ah that'll be because I fried them" Jack grins like a Cheshire cat as you eye them dubiously.

"In cheese"

<camera pans into horrified pupil of eager intern before fading fully to black>
This looks revolting and I like avocado on toast 🤢 why has she put so many different tasting elements in one dish why??

Reactions: 18
I'm waiting for a meeting to start so doodled a 'speshshull' Jacksie Monroe flow chart 😁...
Edit to add: sorry about my crap handwriting. X
20220831_154304.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 112
"Tonight, on Can't cook, Shan't cook...Ainsley, I, Jack Monroe self professed saviour of the poor will be cooking...

Peaceful oat goblins, with ready brek and a light vinaigrette. Topped off with mushed avocado and capers.

For the main- Authentic Greek pizza, with a base made out of flour and blended, mushed, spaghetti hoops. Sauce made from tabasco and ground tobacco. And the topping being half a tub of lard mixed with powdered cheese and pickled herring.

For dessert I present to you...Warm ice cream, defrosted, refrozen and then heated in the mee crow wah vey, with prunes and foccacia bread. And a sprig of parsley."

• Haha
Reactions: 49
@Veronicaaa said this too - I think in that instance it’s someone who is acting on behalf of a community group so doesn’t have access to the email used therefore the Patreon account itself, but idk why this person isn’t just cancelling the pre-approved payment via their bank? 🥴 You’d hope for the majority of cases where it’s the original subscriber with access to their email & phone number for 2FA it’ll be relatively manageable? :/ we shall see!
I wonder if community group squig even has access to the bank account yet?

I'm a director of a small charity and every single grant we've ever applied for has had the condition attached that we must have a bank account that only allows money to be paid out with two signatures minimum. That means no debit cards and no online banking, payments made by cheque only or by writing to the bank with two signatures on the letter, for which they charge us a £20 processing fee, it's an absolute pain in the behind. We have three signatories, but one stepped down nearly a year ago and I still haven't managed to get the other signatory to go through the electronic validation process to confirm removing the third from the bank account and putting two other committee members onto it - they forget to do it and the whole thing times out after 30 days and I have to fill the form in again.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
I remember when twitter first started kind of becoming popular I must have been around 17/18, and everyone was leaving school and starting uni ect... People would tweet things like "just completed my assignment, took the poodle for a walk and now coming home to cook some spicy pasta" basically narrating everything they had done in their day that no one actually cared about. Past the age of 20 people stopped tweeting things like this as they realised no one actually cares what they had for tea or how their operation went. Jack hasn't moved past the teenage tweeting stage of realising no one actually cares to hear you narrate your day on twitter. She's stopped taking tramadol for her shoulder but yet she still takes ritalin which some dealers actually bash up and use to sell to addicts. She won't touch tramadol but will pay 150 a month, in her own words for ritalin. ADHD is debilitating yes, but there are so many non stimulant options, the fact she's gone private suggests the NHS Dr has obviously told her no in the past. She's the definition of histrionic personality disorder. No one has experienced autism like Jack has, or arthritis or ADHD. I can guarantee that a lot of people on this thread actually suffer with a lot of mental health and physical issues but don't document it 24/7 to try and one up other people. It's so infuriating, lmao the list of everything Jack's tried for arthritis pain, why bloody bother asking anyone when you've literally exhausted all options. Oh there won't be a pain medication or solution that works for Jack's arthritis, it's just much more severe than anyone else's we couldn't possibly relate. She does realise there's an abundance of non opiate based pain medication, it's just pointless attention seeking.

• Heart
Reactions: 77
For me that was a painful read (not in a good way). And ill-informed at that. Contrary to what this piece states, she’s claimed to be working class on numerous occasions across the years. There are swathes of this piece that could be seized upon by Jack as a “gotcha” to any criticism of her (and not solely the compare and contrast with bad Jamie Oliver). And there are parts that are just nonsensical.

I am not coming from a position where I want or expect everything about her to be critical and get a thrill out of anything critical published. I thought that newer piece by Katie Roache (I’m making that name up I think-the one in past couple of days on the PDF download) was poorly written, inaccurate on even some basic facts and added nothing for eg. But particularly in the case of a press article or as here, academic research, I do expect it to be based upon rigorous (ie more accurate) research rather than, as here, cherry-picking to fit a predetermined academic thesis/argument. Some of this is so contorted to fit that thesis as to be nonsensical.

Also, and I say this as a former ‘academic’ with an actual Doctorate, but duck me, academic writing can’t half be dry as duck while being as overblown as duck- a bit like the writing equivalent of a hoop skirt made of radiator orange peel on a rollercoaster on a particularly windy day.

PS I’m also irritated that it takes no issue with her Jeremy Kyle shite- almost lauds it as JM being clear she’s MC in fact.
Yes, I’ve read it again and I do agree the facts have been cherry picked probably to fit the argument she was trying to make. Id bet my last tenner the author was middle class.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Yes, I’ve read it again and I do agree the facts have been cherry picked probably to fit the argument she was trying to make. Id bet my last tenner the author was middle class.
Yep, no doubt in my mind either. For those of you who can’t face ploughing through the whole thing.
I argue that this thesis is simply incorrect

877AF60C-F337-4B31-804E-56F23C38A534.jpeg

i also disagree with the “argument” about JMs intentions re this. Like duck is she doing it to “reframe the cultural understandings of welfare”. And she’s “perhaps” othering?! 😡

Still, at least if Jack sees this today she can drop “a journalist made me say it” and grab onto “I was reframing the cultural understandings of welfare”

0A3968EE-9FA1-4158-AAC7-A128DEF4CD41.jpeg

42960833-E023-485A-946D-805FEA17D63E.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 36
Grunking but after however many weeks of me chatting about her and assuming my husband wasn't listening, I told him about what she was feeding the publishing team and he replied "She obviously hates food and has a few screws loose."

• Haha
Reactions: 33
On a mega-grunk so apols if another mithering ninnie has said this but why does she have thinly-sliced arseholes on her ‘food’?

BFA3B8E1-255F-4875-85D0-75D3FE053D9A.jpeg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 72
Grunking but after however many weeks of me chatting about her and assuming my husband wasn't listening, I told him about what she was feeding the publishing team and he replied "She obviously hates food and has a few screws loose."
I think Jack Monroe is a very dangerous woman Especially when she is cornered

• Heart
Reactions: 46
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.