Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

cee-bee

VIP Member
Interesting video that @LadyMuck posted in last thread about his wife.
It did make me wonder if he was 30 when he met his wife was it a marriage of convenience on his part as he was aware that he was homosexual?
I’ve spoken to a friend who knows a guy who had sex with Huw

• they hooked up during the first lockdown. The guy in question is younger (but definitely legal age!) and an actor.
• the wife knows and is happy with the arrangement (according to the guy who hooked up with Huw). She has a good life, they have 5 kids etc. apparently she sees other people too.

• Wow
Reactions: 24

stardust21

VIP Member
opinion on the sun aside…

don’t you think it is a story that was in the public interest?

on the basis that
1. Huw is essentially paid by the taxpayer. He receives a very generous salary from the BBC.
2. As such, he is held to a certain standard of behaviour. To act lawfully, truthfully, with integrity. It really does not seem like he bas been adhering to those principles.
3. Journalists and reporters have a code of ethics as a profession anyway. Even if he wasn’t paid by the taxpayer - he’s in a position of responsibility and he appears to have completely disregarded that.

the homosexuality angle is largely irrelevant. IIRC the Sun in the original story largely avoided referring to the young person as “he”. The above would apply if this young person was male, female or whatever.

if it was the case that Huw realised after many years, that he wanted to explore his sexuality, that was absolutely his prerogative. If he wanted to do that privately and covertly that was also his prerogative - but it would also mean that choice would be incompatible with his chosen profession.

he could’ve stepped down as news anchor, god knows the BBC have given plenty of opportunity and have wanted to get new talent in to replace the old timers for a while now. He could’ve accepted a generous redundancy, stood down with his career and reputation intact and have been free to pursue whatever relationships he wanted without comprising that.

but Huw made the choice to continue in his role despite (allegedly) breaking lockdown, despite the fact it meant breaking the codes of conduct for that profession. Huw made that choice.he wanted to have his cake and eat it it seems.

I think it was in the public interest to report on it, and I think the fact more people have come forward since is further confirmation that it was in the public interest.
No, I don’t think it’s of interest tbh. He reads the news, he doesn’t make laws.

He will forever be accused of being a pedalo and I honestly think that’s disgusting because he isn’t. We shouldn’t live in a society where a newspaper can accuse someone of being a nonce without any proof. That shit sticks and it ruins lives.

I don’t particularly care that someone who reads an autocue for a living broke lockdown laws. It’s completely different to Downing Street workers, who were literally setting laws and forcing everyone to stay in their houses, having parties. He reads the news, he doesn’t make laws and I do not hold him to the same standards that I hold the Prime Minister. Do I think he should have broken the lockdown rules? Of course I dont. But it’s not comparable to Boris and co in my opinion.

And While I think it’s unsavoury for such an age gap between people, frankly, it’s none of my business as long as everyone involved is a consenting adult.

Honestly the Suns story whiffs of homophobia and trying to publicly out a gay man and to shame him. I would have hoped that as a society we were past that.

Reactions: 22

cee-bee

VIP Member
I didn’t see my elderly grandmother during lockdowns. I was too scared to visit her even outside of lockdowns in all honesty (she lives a big distance away so it would inevitably involve plane travel or long exposure to other members of the public).

turns out those were the last few years of her life. She died in 2020 and I didn’t get to see her. I didn’t get to throw her a funeral. I didn’t get to say goodbye. She became increasingly lonely and worried about getting covid and dying alone. In her dying days, I couldn’t go to hospital to say goodbye to her.

so frankly, I find it disgusting that someone who held responsibility on reporting on these lockdowns - who used their influence and responsibility to report and ask compliance from the rest of the U.K. - for them to have broken it for a quick shag..? That’s disgusting (and I don’t care if that was a same sex shag or not). It’s utterly contemptible. I find it abhorrent and worthy of being removed from that well paid position of influence and responsibility. Anyone who could do that was never worthy of the role to begin with.

what I also cannot abide is people who shrug it off as not a big deal. You didn’t lose a loved one during covid? Lucky you. But at least have some empathy for those of us that did and endured our pain for the greater good.

I didn’t break lockdown once. Not once.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 21

Whiffy McBiffy

Am I the only one who's caught a huge whiff of misogyny from both Huw Edwards' and Philip Schofield's falls from grace? Schofield betrays his wife, then hides behind a huge song and dance of coming out. Huw Edwards does the same to his wife, and it's up to her to face the music from the press. For saying what left leaning organisations the Beeb and ITV both are, they certainly don't give much thought to mothers and housewives. The only role they seem to play here is having dog shit smeared in their faces by their chickenhawk husbands, and keeping a stiff upper lip in the process

Reactions: 21

flowerawh

I'm from the Llanelli area and have some intel from a school friend of HE that he's currently home with his mum and apparently has been for a few weeks now, and the cherry on the cake is he wants to go back to reading the news.
well well well, a man can dream

• Wow
Reactions: 19

stardust21

VIP Member
Ya know, that just cements my belief the Sun are scum. The reason this story got traction is because they essentially accused him of being a nonce. By all accounts it sounds like he’s actually gay, has come out to his wife who is supportive but was too scared to come out publicly.

The Sun trying to out him in the way they did sits incredibly uncomfortably with me, especially considering the young person st there heart of their story didn’t want the story to be told.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

cee-bee

VIP Member
Doesn't surprise me at all..I'm sure Huw and his wife have an arrangement which worked for them up to the point where he got exposed.
yes… that makes sense. But the disparity in wealth/age/influence/power between Huw and the young person still makes me uncomfortable.

I think if Huw had continued with their arrangement, it would’ve stayed between him and his wife. It became of interest to the general public when the power imbalance came into play, and the ethics of a grown middle aged man essentially sexting a teen.

the fact it happened over lockdown is also a bit of an uncomfortable aspect. Huw was leading the news during that difficult time. He was entrusted to report on it. It feels wrong and hypocritical if he wasn’t isolating while reporting on how we should all be self isolating.

there seems to be a trend/arrogance with high level media types who, for some reason, think rules don’t apply to them. From Naga Munchetty and her NatWest promo deals, through to Beth Rigby and Kay burley.

the news isn’t just a light entertainment. It’s the cornerstone of democracy, having a media that holds governments to account. How can reporters do that while behaving like they are above the rules themselves?

it seems like such a closed off industry, a bit of a circle jerk and with those reaching the top letting it go to their heads. It really points to broader issues IMO

Reactions: 16

neroli

VIP Member
I predict that he'll .emerge in "Movember" to do an exclusive with the BBC about the stigma of men's mental health and the bad choices that can be made when it comes to coping mechanisms and self-medication.

How The Bottom Fell Out Of My World..by The Huw Edwards. #BeKind...or else.

• Haha

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
I mean I’d say that I can’t imagine Huw having a threesome, but this time last year I couldn‘t imagine him dropping his pants and showing his arse on zoom so who knows?

• Haha

cee-bee

VIP Member
Ya know, that just cements my belief the Sun are scum. The reason this story got traction is because they essentially accused him of being a nonce. By all accounts it sounds like he’s actually gay, has come out to his wife who is supportive but was too scared to come out publicly.

The Sun trying to out him in the way they did sits incredibly uncomfortably with me, especially considering the young person st there heart of their story didn’t want the story to be told.
opinion on the sun aside…

don’t you think it is a story that was in the public interest?

on the basis that
1. Huw is essentially paid by the taxpayer. He receives a very generous salary from the BBC.
2. As such, he is held to a certain standard of behaviour. To act lawfully, truthfully, with integrity. It really does not seem like he bas been adhering to those principles.
3. Journalists and reporters have a code of ethics as a profession anyway. Even if he wasn’t paid by the taxpayer - he’s in a position of responsibility and he appears to have completely disregarded that.

the homosexuality angle is largely irrelevant. IIRC the Sun in the original story largely avoided referring to the young person as “he”. The above would apply if this young person was male, female or whatever.

if it was the case that Huw realised after many years, that he wanted to explore his sexuality, that was absolutely his prerogative. If he wanted to do that privately and covertly that was also his prerogative - but it would also mean that choice would be incompatible with his chosen profession.

he could’ve stepped down as news anchor, god knows the BBC have given plenty of opportunity and have wanted to get new talent in to replace the old timers for a while now. He could’ve accepted a generous redundancy, stood down with his career and reputation intact and have been free to pursue whatever relationships he wanted without comprising that.

but Huw made the choice to continue in his role despite (allegedly) breaking lockdown, despite the fact it meant breaking the codes of conduct for that profession. Huw made that choice.he wanted to have his cake and eat it it seems.

I think it was in the public interest to report on it, and I think the fact more people have come forward since is further confirmation that it was in the public interest.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

carriebooboo

VIP Member
Looking at the mocked up messages again it really was nothing if this is everything they said to one another. A handful of polite messages over a two year period. Ok so we don’t know how it escalated from 2020 but by then the 17 year old was an adult and it’s not like there was as extensive communication between them or Huw initiated it again after two years with no contact.
I feel sorry for everyone involved that it got so blown up
View attachment 2891074
I'm 40 and I can't think of anything less interesting than texting with a 17-year-old (and I'm sure the reverse is just as true). Creepy old p-er-v. :sick:

I don't think he is necessarily 'milking the system' with his disappearance. Mental health is very complex and entirely non linear, so you can go for periods where you feel a lot brighter and then the slightest thing can set you back. I am not excusing any of his behaviour, but I personally believe (and yes it is just an opinion) that he attempted to take his own life and is recovering in the aftermath. In any case, none of us can really know the truth and all of this is just speculation. But I'm not personally comfortable with dismissing his illness just because it's not a wholly physical disorder.

Schofield can get in the bin mind, with all that passive aggressive bullshit about knowing how Caroline Flack must have been feeling.

• Heart
He should be a bit better by now, so why not a word. Why hasn't he issued a statement through his wife or legal team. He's hoping this is all going to go away.

Man up and face the music!

Mental illness is not linear. He may well have had periods where he felt he was a lot better, feeling stronger and then something might have floored him and back to square one. Impossible to quantify how someone's recovery is going, especially in a high profile case like this and if it involved a suicide attempt (that has been speculated), that adds a whole new dimension. You wouldn't say about a cancer patient 'they should be feeling better now' when half way through throigh treatment so why not extend the same courtesy to someone with complex mental health issues.

• Heart
Reactions: 14

Tofino

VIP Member
Oh I’ve worked with plenty of people who have “resigned” but have done so because the only alternative was to be sacked. Or they came to some sort of settlement agreement. We may never know the truth here but Huw resigning “for medical reasons” was definitely the easiest way out of this mess on both sides. I would lean towards a settlement agreement here where bbc allowed him to say he resigned. I doubt he would wait this long to just walk away from them with nothing.

You can't fault his advisors though. He's reacted perfectly. Disappear, don't offer a comment. Have a loved one do it. Then hide away and wait for it all to blow over when someone else gets to be on the front pages. I wonder if the BBC were feeding the Times and Channel 4 info about Brand to help the public forget about Huw.

*adjusts tin foil hat to a jaunty angle*

• Haha

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
‘I’ve spent so many years sitting on it I thought viewers might like to see it for a change‘.

• Haha
Reactions: 13