Huw Edwards #14

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
New thread in case anything should come up

All quiet at the moment while the BBC investigates and Huw is recovering

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Birthday boy 🥳. Twitter post from last year:

EDA52BA7-FB1D-4EAA-AC11-A66639855A2C.jpeg

---
Our old friend Edward Coram-Jones, PR Expert is back experting in an article comparing Huw’s crisis to that of Phil Schofield and James Martin:

Edward Coram-James, from Go Up, believes that ITV and best pal Holly "threw Phillip under the bus", while Huw Edwards' wife's response 'saved' his career, and that James Martin learned 'cues' from Flind that saw him escape further public scrutiny…
"None of them should have resulted in permeant damage to their careers. Feathers lost? Absolutely. Lives destroyed? Absolutely not," Ed began. "In my opinion, when looking at the three different crises, Martin's is the most serious, followed by Edwards, followed by Schofield.
"None of them should have resulted in permeant damage to their careers. Feathers lost? Absolutely. Lives destroyed? Absolutely not," Ed began. "In my opinion, when looking at the three different crises, Martin's is the most serious, followed by Edwards, followed by Schofield.

"This might seem like an odd statement. If you asked any punter on the street to rank these three men based on the seriousness of what they did, almost universally people would claim that it was Schofield, followed by Edwards, followed by Martin. However, this perception is not based on the facts surrounding the crises, but on the fallout from those crises: how they were reported and how the principals reacted. There is a significant disparity between the on-paper scale of the actual crises, and the scale of the crises as they were reported."

When it comes to what happened with Phillip Schofield, Ed argues there was a degree of homophobia with the public outcry. But what didn't help was those around him, he says, with Holly admitting on national TV that she had been left "shaken, troubled, let down and worried" amid the scandal.

"You only have to look at the fallout from the Schofield saga and the double standards in terms of society's response to, say, Huw Edwards, to see that Schofield had every reason to fear the potential for unfair and inflated scrutiny of his private life…" Ed continued. "He was also a well-loved and famous television personality, and thus even more open to unbalanced criticism.

"Most ordinary folk would have lied about having an affair, and he had much more to lose in his affair than most ordinary folk. He was abandoned and thrown under the bus by his protegee and friend, Willoughby, abandoned by his employers, fired by the talent agency that he had remained loyal to… was the affair inappropriate? Yes. Affairs are always inappropriate. Aside from his wife, his younger colleague and himself, was it anyone else's business? In my opinion, absolutely not."…

"I don't believe that, from a crisis comms point of view, there was any good reason for Willoughby not to close ranks around her old friend and mentor. Doing so would have had the same cooling effect as Flind's statement had about Edwards." Ed claims that when the speculation was mounting against Edwards, it looked as though his world was about to implode on him. But the way his inner circle responded was his saviour.

"Social media was awash with rumours about who the BBC presenter was. A witch hunt, in the truest sense, had begun. However, even when the engine was seeming to be gaining more and more momentum, Edwards' inner circle closed ranks around him quickly and decisively. His wife, Vicky Flind, who one could argue is one of the only people whose business her husband's alleged behaviour actually is, defended him vociferously.

"In one short and sharp but human and balanced statement, she underlined his struggles with mental health, reminded the world that it was no one's business, and demanded privacy for him and her family. It worked. Celebrities and colleagues jumped to his defence, setting

"The public and media reacted accordingly. The public is often very empathetic when it comes to human struggle and very compassionate when it comes to the mental health issues of others. By humanising Edwards, Flind turned him from being an object of fair game attack to an object of sympathy that people wanted to rally around and defend.

"Had Flind not come to Edwards' defence in a calm, collected but precise way, Edwards' career would be in tatters. Hers was a crisis communications masterclass that defanged social media and The Sun, allowed the BBC to react in a balanced way and paved the way for others to come out and defend him. On the other hand, ITV and Willoughby's handling of the Schofield saga was, in my opinion, the decisive factor in his downfall."

---
Those were supposed to be two separate posts but alas, I can’t edit them.

here’s the article:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
Interesting video that @LadyMuck posted in last thread about his wife.
It did make me wonder if he was 30 when he met his wife was it a marriage of convenience on his part as he was aware that he was homosexual?

Reactions: 3
What has happened at those schools is terrible but I don’t think Vicky Flind, on the board of directors, could have known what random, depraved employees (a canteen worker that she had likely never met) were doing online in the seedy privacy of their homes?

She and Huw live in Dulwich and their sons attended Dulwich College, so I don’t think it’s necessarily unusual that she’s involved with the school, or that Huw gave a talk there.

I think one of the most shocking things about this is the video’s comment section and the number of people who are shaming her for her appearance. I’ve also seen hoards of similar comments on Twitter and Facebook which is just awful really.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Reactions: 2
Huw's wife just used the mental health card which is very effective in these "#be kind times". Schofield tried to do the same in that interview but it didn't have the same effect as a wife trying to protect her poor husband who apparently had been hospitalised and was to be kept away from the world at all costs in order to work on his recovery..

Reactions: 5
Yeah, I think that article is a leetle bit over the top when it comes to describing Huw and Vicky’s situation:

His wife, Vicky Flind, who one could argue is one of the only people whose business her husband's alleged behaviour actually is, defended him vociferously.

"In one short and sharp but human and balanced statement, she underlined his struggles with mental health, reminded the world that it was no one's business, and demanded privacy for him and her family. It worked. Celebrities and colleagues jumped to his defence, setting Twitter ablaze with statements of support and solidarity.

"Had Flind not come to Edwards' defence in a calm, collected but precise way, Edwards' career would be in tatters. Hers was a crisis communications masterclass that defanged social media and The Sun, allowed the BBC to react in a balanced way and paved the way for others to come out and defend him.

1. she didn’t defend him at all, let alone ‘vociferously’.
2. I haven’t seen a lot friends and colleagues jumping to his defense either. Definitely Jon Sopel and maybe Piers Morgan saying he was a “stand up guy”. Who else? Nor was Twitter really ablaze with support, more with shock.
3. The “crisis communication masterclass” was probably by Andy Coulson but very kindly Vicky put her name to it. She did do Huw a solid there.
4. So far his career is in tatters and we’ll have to see if it can be untattered 😰

Yeah, I think that article is a leetle bit over the top when it comes to describing Huw and Vicky’s situation:

His wife, Vicky Flind, who one could argue is one of the only people whose business her husband's alleged behaviour actually is, defended him vociferously.

"In one short and sharp but human and balanced statement, she underlined his struggles with mental health, reminded the world that it was no one's business, and demanded privacy for him and her family. It worked. Celebrities and colleagues jumped to his defence, setting Twitter ablaze with statements of support and solidarity.

"Had Flind not come to Edwards' defence in a calm, collected but precise way, Edwards' career would be in tatters. Hers was a crisis communications masterclass that defanged social media and The Sun, allowed the BBC to react in a balanced way and paved the way for others to come out and defend him.

1. she didn’t defend him at all, let alone ‘vociferously’.
2. I haven’t seen a lot friends and colleagues jumping to his defense either. Definitely Jon Sopel and maybe Piers Morgan saying he was a “stand up guy”. Who else? Nor was Twitter really ablaze with support, more with shock.
3. The “crisis communication masterclass” was probably by Andy Coulson but very kindly Vicky put her name to it. She did do Huw a solid there.
4. So far his career is in tatters and we’ll have to see if it can be untattered 😰
Spot on! A lot of people seem to have misunderstood her statement, thinking that she used “mental health” as an excuse for his behaviour and not recognizing that it was actually just an explanation for why he wasn’t making the statement himself at that time. I mean it might have planted that idea in people’s minds but she never actually said it or even referred to his alleged behaviour.

There were also a lot of people who actually said that she threw Huw under the bus by naming him, which is bizarre really. It was obviously very carefully planned damage control.

Twitter was definitely more ablaze with his arse than it was with support 😂

• Haha
ITV’s boss has warned against media pressure to end people’s careers after the resignation of Phillip Schofield from This Morning…

…He said it is always worth taking the time to fully establish facts when dealing with accusations against individuals. “I know these things can be frustrating. The most important thing is you get the facts and truth,” he said. “There’s enormous pressure from the press and social media saying, ‘You’ve got to decide’ and ‘Why didn’t you fire him?’ We don’t know what the truth is yet. You can ruin people’s lives by acting too quickly.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 1
ITV’s boss has warned against media pressure to end people’s careers after the resignation of Phillip Schofield from This Morning…

…He said it is always worth taking the time to fully establish facts when dealing with accusations against individuals. “I know these things can be frustrating. The most important thing is you get the facts and truth,” he said. “There’s enormous pressure from the press and social media saying, ‘You’ve got to decide’ and ‘Why didn’t you fire him?’ We don’t know what the truth is yet. You can ruin people’s lives by acting too quickly.

Very interesting. That’s the fallout from the Jimmy Savile scandal and Operation Yewtree, the fact that people now tend to be condemned very quickly, before they’ve even been investigated. I think people are very afraid of sitting back and unwittingly allowing another Savile-type incident. It’s all great if the person is actually guilty but overall, it’s obviously very dangerous and questionable.

Reactions: 3
Interesting video that @LadyMuck posted in last thread about his wife.
It did make me wonder if he was 30 when he met his wife was it a marriage of convenience on his part as he was aware that he was homosexual?
I’ve spoken to a friend who knows a guy who had sex with Huw

• they hooked up during the first lockdown. The guy in question is younger (but definitely legal age!) and an actor.
• the wife knows and is happy with the arrangement (according to the guy who hooked up with Huw). She has a good life, they have 5 kids etc. apparently she sees other people too.

• Wow
Reactions: 24
Doesn't surprise me at all..I'm sure Huw and his wife have an arrangement which worked for them up to the point where he got exposed.

Reactions: 13
Doesn't surprise me at all..I'm sure Huw and his wife have an arrangement which worked for them up to the point where he got exposed.
yes… that makes sense. But the disparity in wealth/age/influence/power between Huw and the young person still makes me uncomfortable.

I think if Huw had continued with their arrangement, it would’ve stayed between him and his wife. It became of interest to the general public when the power imbalance came into play, and the ethics of a grown middle aged man essentially sexting a teen.

the fact it happened over lockdown is also a bit of an uncomfortable aspect. Huw was leading the news during that difficult time. He was entrusted to report on it. It feels wrong and hypocritical if he wasn’t isolating while reporting on how we should all be self isolating.

there seems to be a trend/arrogance with high level media types who, for some reason, think rules don’t apply to them. From Naga Munchetty and her NatWest promo deals, through to Beth Rigby and Kay burley.

the news isn’t just a light entertainment. It’s the cornerstone of democracy, having a media that holds governments to account. How can reporters do that while behaving like they are above the rules themselves?

it seems like such a closed off industry, a bit of a circle jerk and with those reaching the top letting it go to their heads. It really points to broader issues IMO

Reactions: 16
Oof, the fact (if true) he broke lockdown to have sex with a stranger I find really unpalatable. Not the sex with a stranger part, but doing it during lockdown!! Just like I find Boris’ office parties absolutely unacceptable.

And yes, although he wasn’t in government and he didn’t make the rules, he did report on them almost every night so judging his general intelligence and his position as the “nation’s newsreader”, I can’t give him a pass for that.

Damn, I think Huw also had COVID in March 2020, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
Oof, the fact (if true) he broke lockdown to have sex with a stranger I find really unpalatable. Not the sex with a stranger part, but doing it during lockdown!! Just like I find Boris’ office parties absolutely unacceptable.
it’s also a little uncomfortable that he was in essence leading a double life. Ok so his wife knew… but it looks as if this was going on for years.

probably a lesser issue but I guess if you’re in a position of influence/responsibility - leading that double life could potentially open you up to blackmail? I feel as a public figure in that capacity… as a respected news reporter… you need to have integrity and to be reasonably open about your life?

It’s definitely a really tricky tightrope of what is OK and what isn’t.

I have a lot of sympathy for Huw but … he’s been living a lie on a couple of different levels.

his behaviour has been totally and utterly in contempt of the Canons of Journalism. A code of ethics Huw will be VERY aware of and has shown total disregard towards.

a sad end to an enviable career and for what? I can only presume his arrogance in his position made him feel like he could disregard those ethics. I’m so disappointed in him. I really hope the young man he was in contact with is ok.

Reactions: 8