Huw Edwards #14

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Dan Wootton has been sacked. Hurray! Huw and mum are probably having a celebratory tipple šŸ„‚

eta: oops, only by the Mail. Still employed by GB News šŸ˜«

Reactions: 6
I think he might? It would be a good way of getting back into the public eye and into peopleā€™s good books again while also reinventing/relaunching himself. He would probably have to make some sort of statement beforehand though to be ā€œacceptedā€ again (šŸ™„), because most people are probably going to feel like they need an explanation of some sort.

I was watching Strictly last night and the Channel 4 newsreader taking part made me think of Huw.
the trouble is, this isnā€™t just a closeted gay man in the public eye who has been outted. It goes a lot deeper than that;

1. the accusation that the young person whose parents went to the sun was underage AND vulnerable . This is maybe wrong, maybe the police havenā€™t been able to establish any evidence of this. And the youth in question is unwilling to cooperate. But itā€™s definitely an uneasy set of circumstances that border on being very, very unsavoury.

2. the accusations that emerged of inappropriate behaviour at work. Not a small thing, given that Huw held a very high up and public position within the BBC.

3. The allegations that he broke lockdown. Again, no small thing given Huwā€™s role in reporting and encouraging compliance with lockdown rules. No small thing given the lack of integrity here.

all of those emerged before any internal BBC investigation which makes me concerned about what further digging would actually reveal. My guess is there are a lot more skeletons there.

none of the above are small, trivial things. As a society we should absolutely hold our press and our public figures up to a fair standard of integrity. It isnā€™t something we should gloss over because we are fond of a persona. A robust and free press is essential to a functioning democracy and when we have news anchors undermining public policies, they open themselves up to coercion and political bias. Thatā€™s the reality of it.

my feeling is that the moment Huw leaves his medical treatment facility, the floodgates open on a lot of other bad behaviour. If he knew there was nothing else, surely heā€™d have been able to issue some form of statement claiming his innocence? The silence is deafening IMO.

i donā€™t wish Huw badly, I think this could be a case of a decent person doing bad things. But as a consequence of doing bad things, he shouldnā€™t have a return to public life. He should accept the consequences of his actions and retire from public life.

the weasel that is Matt Hancock has some reality TV gigs, but heā€™s become a mockery. He is constantly derided on social media. People see through his rehearsed PR lines ā€œI fell in loveā€ and his pathetic attempts at redemption. No one sympathises with him. Heā€™s become a mockery in his attempt at changing public perception of him and trying to stay in the public eye.

Huw was more respected that Matt Hancock and had a longer, more illustrious career. Surely he would owe it to his career to bow out as gracefully as he can at this point, instead of reducing himself to some tacky stint on strictly?

Reactions: 12
You put your fingers right on the pain points, @cee-bee. Itā€™s complicated.

Even though Iā€™ve mentioned it here as a possibility, I actually hope he doesnā€™t go the light entertainment route. I think Matt Hancock is showing us loud and clear that desperation is not a good look. Iā€™d prefer Huw does something like maybe a railway travel thing like Michael Portillo or obviously some geeky documentaries.

But I also see that he canā€™t ā€˜justā€™ go and do those, heā€™d need to come clean on all the messy stuff that has lead to this moment. Iā€™m still super concerned about the lockdown allegations. And I guess weā€™d need to know whether deep down heā€™s just a huge ******* and everything is par for the course or whether heā€™s not a huge ********* but a troubled person who made some very bad choices. So far, from what weā€™ve seen of him over the years, my guess is number 2.

Reactions: 10
the trouble is, this isnā€™t just a closeted gay man in the public eye who has been outted. It goes a lot deeper than that;

1. the accusation that the young person whose parents went to the sun was underage AND vulnerable . This is maybe wrong, maybe the police havenā€™t been able to establish any evidence of this. And the youth in question is unwilling to cooperate. But itā€™s definitely an uneasy set of circumstances that border on being very, very unsavoury.

2. the accusations that emerged of inappropriate behaviour at work. Not a small thing, given that Huw held a very high up and public position within the BBC.

3. The allegations that he broke lockdown. Again, no small thing given Huwā€™s role in reporting and encouraging compliance with lockdown rules. No small thing given the lack of integrity here.

all of those emerged before any internal BBC investigation which makes me concerned about what further digging would actually reveal. My guess is there are a lot more skeletons there.

none of the above are small, trivial things. As a society we should absolutely hold our press and our public figures up to a fair standard of integrity. It isnā€™t something we should gloss over because we are fond of a persona. A robust and free press is essential to a functioning democracy and when we have news anchors undermining public policies, they open themselves up to coercion and political bias. Thatā€™s the reality of it.

my feeling is that the moment Huw leaves his medical treatment facility, the floodgates open on a lot of other bad behaviour. If he knew there was nothing else, surely heā€™d have been able to issue some form of statement claiming his innocence? The silence is deafening IMO.

i donā€™t wish Huw badly, I think this could be a case of a decent person doing bad things. But as a consequence of doing bad things, he shouldnā€™t have a return to public life. He should accept the consequences of his actions and retire from public life.

the weasel that is Matt Hancock has some reality TV gigs, but heā€™s become a mockery. He is constantly derided on social media. People see through his rehearsed PR lines ā€œI fell in loveā€ and his pathetic attempts at redemption. No one sympathises with him. Heā€™s become a mockery in his attempt at changing public perception of him and trying to stay in the public eye.

Huw was more respected that Matt Hancock and had a longer, more illustrious career. Surely he would owe it to his career to bow out as gracefully as he can at this point, instead of reducing himself to some tacky stint on strictly?
Oh absolutely and heā€™s no angel - far from it -by all accounts. At the VERY least, heā€™s been very irresponsibleā€¦but people can also be incredibly fickle when it comes to people in the public eye. If you think of someone like Michael Barrymore, who was completely ā€œcancelledā€ at one point, and who was (still is?) suspected of being involved in the actual death of a person, and who is now receiving a weird amount of support on social media, and seems to be relaunching himself through different avenues. A lot of people have very short memories and I think if Huw gets a hint of encouragement down the line, being the type that he is, he wonā€™t be able to resist being back in the spotlight, one way or another IMO.

Reactions: 3
Oh absolutely and heā€™s no angel - far from it -by all accounts. At the VERY least, heā€™s been very irresponsibleā€¦but people can also be incredibly fickle when it comes to people in the public eye. If you think of someone like Michael Barrymore, who was completely ā€œcancelledā€ at one point, and who was (still is?) suspected of being involved in the actual death of a person, and who is now receiving a weird amount of support on social media, and seems to be relaunching himself through different avenues. A lot of people have very short memories and I think if Huw gets a hint of encouragement down the line, being the type that he is, he wonā€™t be able to resist being back in the spotlight, one way or another IMO.
I donā€™t think many people support Michael Barrymore thoughā€¦ I donā€™t feel like he has a big fan base per se.

he employed pretty aggressive PR tactics at the time of Stuart Lubbockā€™s death, and was able to exploit prejudices and biases in his favour (so many people disregarded the incident as some guy getting high and drowning and still do). A lot of the misinformation about Stuartā€™s death, still believed to this day - was a result of Michael Barrymores interviews and press intervention. Channel 4 did a brilliant documentary examining the events surrounding Stuartā€™s death and MBā€™s response to it, back in 2020. Id throughly recommend if anyone hasnt watched it.

his career ended then, but because heā€™s such a raging narcissist he canā€™t bring himself to stay out of the spotlight, so he pays for favourable PR and is relentlessly trying to claw his way back onto TV. His career is done I canā€™t see him ever getting a lucrative steady gig ever again. The big brother gig was the best heā€™s ever done. Because heā€™s funny, heā€™s able to win people on side. But his humour hasnā€™t aged well and always punched down. That man is finished, and rightly so. If he had a shred of decency in him, heā€™d have shrunk away and told the police all he knows and faced the consequences. Iā€™ve not interested in seeing scum like MB on TV, personally.

I donā€™t get the same raging narc vibes from Huw to be honest. I think heā€™s maybe very entitled, very naive and maybe very lacking in character and integrityā€¦ but I donā€™t think heā€™s narcissistic enough to try and cling onto public life the way the likes of Michael Barrymore and Matt Hancock have.

in fact, the opposite so far. A narcissist wouldnā€™t have laid low the way Huw has, and wouldā€™ve tried to control and spin the narrative in their favour. Huw hasnā€™t done that.

Reactions: 7
I donā€™t think many people support Michael Barrymore thoughā€¦ I donā€™t feel like he has a big fan base per se.

he employed pretty aggressive PR tactics at the time of Stuart Lubbockā€™s death, and was able to exploit prejudices and biases in his favour (so many people disregarded the incident as some guy getting high and drowning and still do). A lot of the misinformation about Stuartā€™s death, still believed to this day - was a result of Michael Barrymores interviews and press intervention. Channel 4 did a brilliant documentary examining the events surrounding Stuartā€™s death and MBā€™s response to it, back in 2020. Id throughly recommend if anyone hasnt watched it.

his career ended then, but because heā€™s such a raging narcissist he canā€™t bring himself to stay out of the spotlight, so he pays for favourable PR and is relentlessly trying to claw his way back onto TV. His career is done I canā€™t see him ever getting a lucrative steady gig ever again. The big brother gig was the best heā€™s ever done. Because heā€™s funny, heā€™s able to win people on side. But his humour hasnā€™t aged well and always punched down. That man is finished, and rightly so. If he had a shred of decency in him, heā€™d have shrunk away and told the police all he knows and faced the consequences. Iā€™ve not interested in seeing scum like MB on TV, personally.

I donā€™t get the same raging narc vibes from Huw to be honest. I think heā€™s maybe very entitled, very naive and maybe very lacking in character and integrityā€¦ but I donā€™t think heā€™s narcissistic enough to try and cling onto public life the way the likes of Michael Barrymore and Matt Hancock have.

in fact, the opposite so far. A narcissist wouldnā€™t have laid low the way Huw has, and wouldā€™ve tried to control and spin the narrative in their favour. Huw hasnā€™t done that.
I agree, I donā€™t think Huw is a narcissist at all; I canā€™t see him sitting idle for long though *if* he has that option to do something eventually, even if itā€™s an independent project.

That Channel 4 documentary was hard to watch. Itā€™s amazing to go through Barrymoreā€™s social media though and see the amount of people who want him back on tv, and these are people who are definitely old enough to remember the death of Stuart Lubbock. šŸ™

Itā€™s also very weird that Barrymore still gets tv appearances/interviews at all. He recently directed a play in the West Endā€¦I wonder if Huw has any acting/directing skills? šŸ¤”

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I would respect him more if he took responsibility and addressed the situation even via via other persons such as his wife or lawyer.

This total silence seems to me like he's hoping it's all going to go away. Which it's not

Reactions: 8
I would respect him more if he took responsibility and addressed the situation even via via other persons such as his wife or lawyer.

This total silence seems to me like he's hoping it's all going to go away. Which it's not
I agree. I can sympathise that this has blindsided him, heā€™s been outted before he could do it on his own terms, he had pre-existing mental health issuesā€¦ I can get that from a legal perspective heā€™s maybe been told to say nothing.

but itā€™s been two months now.

he was a trusted news reporter for years. Out of respect to the general public who 1. Paid his salary and 2. Put their trust in him, surely he should issue some sort of statement if even just to acknowledge the suspension and internal investigation?

as time goes on.. itā€™s just starting to make him look like a weak man who canā€™t face up to the consequences of his actions.

Reactions: 5
Maybe HE should come back to read the news in a variety of disguises šŸ˜„šŸ˜˜ xx ..

Resizer_16961443195359.jpg

Resizer_16961443116647.jpg

Resizer_16961443017593.jpg

Resizer_16961442963271.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I agree. I can sympathise that this has blindsided him, heā€™s been outted before he could do it on his own terms, he had pre-existing mental health issuesā€¦ I can get that from a legal perspective heā€™s maybe been told to say nothing.

but itā€™s been two months now.

he was a trusted news reporter for years. Out of respect to the general public who 1. Paid his salary and 2. Put their trust in him, surely he should issue some sort of statement if even just to acknowledge the suspension and internal investigation?

as time goes on.. itā€™s just starting to make him look like a weak man who canā€™t face up to the consequences of his actions.
I donā€™t think issuing a short statement would do him any favours at this point. We already know he is suspended and there is an investigation he is subject to. He could acknowledge that but it leaves him open to questions of ā€œwell if he can issue a statement to say that why isnā€™t he issuing a denial or addressing any of the accusationsā€ it doesnā€™t gain him anything
And then in another two months will people want another update statement, where does it end when there is nothing to actually say?

Reactions: 6
Article on that BBC Mission Statement video that was posted a few weeks ago.

ā€œMyrieā€™s prominence on the video was not lost on some BBC staffers who tuned in for the all-hands digital meeting on September 12. With few now expecting the suspended presenter Huw Edwards to return to the corporationā€™s screens, Myrie is seen by many as the next ā€œfrontmanā€ of BBC News.

ā€œIn a sense itā€™s already out there, isnā€™t it?ā€ said one rival presenter. ā€œClive Myrieā€™s presenting the News at Ten.ā€

Any announcement about Myrie becoming lead presenter of the BBCā€™s flagship television news programme will not be made until Edwardsā€™s fate is known. A fact-finding investigation by the BBC is said to have been completed, but it is not known when a resolution may be reached.ā€

Thereā€™s an episode of Panorama tonight at 9pm on BBC1 that has no further info on what it could be about. :unsure:šŸ˜Ø

• Wow
Jeez what a let down! And the sneaky, secretive marketing. I wonder if Huw thought it could be about him? :unsure:

• Wow
Huw and Hugh šŸ¤Ŗ Maybe they could share a Panorama special so that they could at least coordinate dress codes.

ā€œDisgracefully dressed down: a Huw Edwards and Hugh Bonneville investigationā€

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Huw and Hugh šŸ¤Ŗ Maybe they could share a Panorama special so that they could at least coordinate dress codes.

ā€œDisgracefully dressed down: a Huw Edwards and Hugh Bonneville investigationā€

Two infamous butts on the same stage. šŸ˜‚ Huw is so naturally camp! šŸ¤­

• Haha