Huw Edwards #14

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Makes you wonder how Huw felt reporting on the Boris partygate inquiry?? Holy crap, there are so many layers to this! 😵💫

Reactions: 6
Ya know, that just cements my belief the Sun are scum. The reason this story got traction is because they essentially accused him of being a nonce. By all accounts it sounds like he’s actually gay, has come out to his wife who is supportive but was too scared to come out publicly.

The Sun trying to out him in the way they did sits incredibly uncomfortably with me, especially considering the young person st there heart of their story didn’t want the story to be told.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Ya know, that just cements my belief the Sun are scum. The reason this story got traction is because they essentially accused him of being a nonce. By all accounts it sounds like he’s actually gay, has come out to his wife who is supportive but was too scared to come out publicly.

The Sun trying to out him in the way they did sits incredibly uncomfortably with me, especially considering the young person st there heart of their story didn’t want the story to be told.
10000000% this. Even if he were to sue the Sun and “clear“ his name over those (presumably) false allegations, they totally stick. He’s being called a p**o everyday on Twitter. Try living with that.

Reactions: 9

The parents are also at fault by thinking they could resolve any issues by going to the Sun!

• Sick
Reactions: 12

opinion on the sun aside…

don’t you think it is a story that was in the public interest?

on the basis that
1. Huw is essentially paid by the taxpayer. He receives a very generous salary from the BBC.
2. As such, he is held to a certain standard of behaviour. To act lawfully, truthfully, with integrity. It really does not seem like he bas been adhering to those principles.
3. Journalists and reporters have a code of ethics as a profession anyway. Even if he wasn’t paid by the taxpayer - he’s in a position of responsibility and he appears to have completely disregarded that.

the homosexuality angle is largely irrelevant. IIRC the Sun in the original story largely avoided referring to the young person as “he”. The above would apply if this young person was male, female or whatever.

if it was the case that Huw realised after many years, that he wanted to explore his sexuality, that was absolutely his prerogative. If he wanted to do that privately and covertly that was also his prerogative - but it would also mean that choice would be incompatible with his chosen profession.

he could’ve stepped down as news anchor, god knows the BBC have given plenty of opportunity and have wanted to get new talent in to replace the old timers for a while now. He could’ve accepted a generous redundancy, stood down with his career and reputation intact and have been free to pursue whatever relationships he wanted without comprising that.

but Huw made the choice to continue in his role despite (allegedly) breaking lockdown, despite the fact it meant breaking the codes of conduct for that profession. Huw made that choice.he wanted to have his cake and eat it it seems.

I think it was in the public interest to report on it, and I think the fact more people have come forward since is further confirmation that it was in the public interest.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
opinion on the sun aside…

don’t you think it is a story that was in the public interest?

on the basis that
1. Huw is essentially paid by the taxpayer. He receives a very generous salary from the BBC.
2. As such, he is held to a certain standard of behaviour. To act lawfully, truthfully, with integrity. It really does not seem like he bas been adhering to those principles.
3. Journalists and reporters have a code of ethics as a profession anyway. Even if he wasn’t paid by the taxpayer - he’s in a position of responsibility and he appears to have completely disregarded that.

the homosexuality angle is largely irrelevant. IIRC the Sun in the original story largely avoided referring to the young person as “he”. The above would apply if this young person was male, female or whatever.

if it was the case that Huw realised after many years, that he wanted to explore his sexuality, that was absolutely his prerogative. If he wanted to do that privately and covertly that was also his prerogative - but it would also mean that choice would be incompatible with his chosen profession.

he could’ve stepped down as news anchor, god knows the BBC have given plenty of opportunity and have wanted to get new talent in to replace the old timers for a while now. He could’ve accepted a generous redundancy, stood down with his career and reputation intact and have been free to pursue whatever relationships he wanted without comprising that.

but Huw made the choice to continue in his role despite (allegedly) breaking lockdown, despite the fact it meant breaking the codes of conduct for that profession. Huw made that choice.he wanted to have his cake and eat it it seems.

I think it was in the public interest to report on it, and I think the fact more people have come forward since is further confirmation that it was in the public interest.
No, I don’t think it’s of interest tbh. He reads the news, he doesn’t make laws.

He will forever be accused of being a pedalo and I honestly think that’s disgusting because he isn’t. We shouldn’t live in a society where a newspaper can accuse someone of being a nonce without any proof. That tit sticks and it ruins lives.

I don’t particularly care that someone who reads an autocue for a living broke lockdown laws. It’s completely different to Downing Street workers, who were literally setting laws and forcing everyone to stay in their houses, having parties. He reads the news, he doesn’t make laws and I do not hold him to the same standards that I hold the Prime Minister. Do I think he should have broken the lockdown rules? Of course I dont. But it’s not comparable to Boris and co in my opinion.

And While I think it’s unsavoury for such an age gap between people, frankly, it’s none of my business as long as everyone involved is a consenting adult.

Honestly the Suns story whiffs of homophobia and trying to publicly out a gay man and to shame him. I would have hoped that as a society we were past that.

Reactions: 22
If he wanted to do that privately and covertly that was also his prerogative - but it would also mean that choice would be incompatible with his chosen profession.
Having a private life where you may be coming to terms with your sexuality is not incompatible with being a journalist in my opinion

He is not flaunting his family life in some fly on the wall tv show or all over IG as some do (looking at Schofe here) whatever agreement he had with his wife was not incompatible with reading the news

Reactions: 7
He didn't choose to keep his private life private though..He chose to portray himself as a Christian and a family man but was quite prepared to take risks online until he was caught out by unforeseen circumstances beyond his control for once.

Having a private life where you may be coming to terms with your sexuality is not incompatible with being a journalist in my opinion

He is not flaunting his family life in some fly on the wall tv show or all over IG as some do (looking at Schofe here) whatever agreement he had with his wife was not incompatible with reading the news
having a private life isn’t incompatible with being a journalist.

having a private life that is at odds with a public image being portrayed, I think, becomes very much at odds with being a journalist. Especially a highly paid and well respected one.

and that’s disregarding the allegations of inappropriate behaviour at work etc.
---
whatever agreement he had with his wife was not incompatible with reading the news
That’s what I keep stressing. News readers don’t just “read the news”.

the news isn’t some light hearted flimsy entertainment. It’s integral to an open and fair democracy. Indeed, Huw himself has done substantial reporting on elections.

i find it baffling that people can be so dismissive of this reality. He isn’t a run of the mill TV presenter, he’s a journalist. It’s an entirely different kettle of fish, and carries much more responsibility.

Reactions: 8
Huw easily put in 8+ hour workdays on days he presented the 10 o’clock news. Definitely there’s a large chunk of editorial input into the final program. Check this video from about the 28:25 mark where he explains it:

---
Ok, that clip doesn’t explain the nature of the job but either elsewhere in this program or in other interviews, he’s explained that he attends editorial meetings, he prepares for interviewing people live on air and he writes headlines, etc.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
I don’t particularly care that someone who reads an autocue for a living broke lockdown laws. It’s completely different to Downing Street workers, who were literally setting laws and forcing everyone to stay in their houses, having parties. He reads the news, he doesn’t make laws and I do not hold him to the same standards that I hold the Prime Minister. Do I think he should have broken the lockdown rules? Of course I dont. But it’s not comparable to Boris and co in my opinion.
This is an important point. Remember that a group of Sky News journalists/reporters/anchors were caught breaking lockdown rules. They were suspended and are now back at work.

Reactions: 3
Honestly the Suns story whiffs of homophobia and trying to publicly out a gay man and to shame him. I would have hoped that as a society we were past that.
the sun didn’t even reference the teen being male. Please explain to me how it “whiffs of homophobia” when they didn’t reference the gender or sex of the teen in question?

which parts of the article read as being homophobic to you…?
---
what have politicians and their conduct got to do with this situation though…? That’s a total whataboutism, straw man argument. It’s irrelevant. We aren’t discussing Boris and co. We are discussing Huw and his conduct. How huw conducted himself has *nothing* to do with Boris Johnson.

does someone have to be in the highest office in the country and making laws before you think they should be held to any sort of ethical standard? What a baffling stance to have.

teachers, doctors, paramedics, police officers, barristers… none of them make laws but they are all professions with code of ethics and an expectation of integrity. Journalism is in the same vein. They have a higher expectation in their conduct because of the unique position/responsibilities they have within society.

Also worth nothing that Huw hasn’t been criticised solely for breaking lockdown rules. He currently has multiple allegations levied against him,
1. Communication of a sexual nature with a vulnerable teen
2. Inappropriate behaviour at work towards junior staff
3. Breaking lockdown
---
This is an important point. Remember that a group of Sky News journalists/reporters/anchors were caught breaking lockdown rules. They were suspended and are now back at work.
yes I remember that well.

Beth Rigby was a very brusque journalist during the press events being held daily during the first covid lockdown. She asked probative and robust questions - which was her job. To hold the political class accountable and seek answers on behalf of the general public, that’s why she was there. And during a unique crisis, that job was more important than ever to establish what the hell was going on.

she was caught out breaking lockdown rules when she attended Kay Burley’s 60th birthday party and it completely changed the tone of her questioning. After she was allowed to return - she couldn’t be as probing. After all, she’d done the same thing. Her line of questioning completely changed after that. Her tail was firmly between her legs. She wasn’t as effective at her job and to me, I’m surprised she was allowed to return to it at all.

the scandal about Matt Hancock’s affair broke and Beth was covering elements of it. She probed him about breaking lockdown and of course, he subtlety pointed out the hypocrisy, “you’re a fan of parties, right Beth?” Or something to that effect, was mentioned by Matt Hancock and it instantly stopped Beth in her tracks. She should have demanded answers from him, held him accountable for what he’d done. Made him answer to the general public. But she couldn’t - because he could simply point out she’d done the exact same thing.

And this illustrates *exactly* why journalists need to have integrity. especially high profile ones. Beth couldn’t effectively question or probe politicians - a crucial part of her job - because she was guilty of doing something she shouldn’t have and they were able to turn it around and use it against it.

it removes the ability of a journalist to be impartial. It means they can’t probe to the full extent that they need to. It opens them to blackmail and coercion.

Beth Rigby and breaking lockdown is a perfect example of why integrity is necessary.

Last edited:
  • Heart
He didn't choose to keep his private life private though..He chose to portray himself as a Christian and a family man but was quite prepared to take risks online until he was caught out by unforeseen circumstances beyond his control for once.
To be completely fair, he *is* a Christian and a family man, but as it turns out a Christian and a family man who isn’t 100% heterosexual. Should be no problem but to some people it is. And that’s, dare I say, his cross to bear/issue to come to terms with. Apparently it’s something he’s sorted out with his wife but was not comfortable sharing with the wide world. Personally I’m fine with that (just my opinion) because I feel it’s none of my business and it’s none of anyone’s business except those it affects (his family and partners).

For some reason, I (again my own opinion) find the breaking of lockdown a much harder pill to swallow because of his position as one of the very top newsreaders/journalists employed by the BBC entrusted to report to the British public on the dangers of the coronavirus and what the lockdown entailed. Also, he’s tweeted more than once on his personal Twitter account how important lockdown was and how important he felt it was to wear a mask etc. He made a whole thing about not seeing his mum for months because of lockdown and how that was awful but had to be done.

Turns out all along he was shagging strangers??! What the actual duck?

I feel hypocritical myself for judging him as I myself broke lockdown (not in the UK but in an EU country) but then, I wasn’t on TV and on my personal Twitter telling you how important lockdown is to keep the country safe.

I still like Huw because I can’t help myself but I can say “look, that was wrong and there should be consequences”. 🤷‍♀️
---
eta: he’s a lucky boy that his almost 40 years on the job has created so much good will with so many people. I know for me that if this had been a rightwing creep on GB News, I would’ve condemned him completely. However, if this all comes out, I’m sure that good will will shortly be in sparse supply.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Just for illustration, here are some of those tweets:

99FD08C5-D230-41D8-BB3A-730D2B4471E6.jpeg

87E17CD5-58D1-4234-8225-1D12F9CBEBAF.jpeg

Still, I suppose it’s nice he stayed away from his elderly mum 😬🤝🙄

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I didn’t see my elderly grandmother during lockdowns. I was too scared to visit her even outside of lockdowns in all honesty (she lives a big distance away so it would inevitably involve plane travel or long exposure to other members of the public).

turns out those were the last few years of her life. She died in 2020 and I didn’t get to see her. I didn’t get to throw her a funeral. I didn’t get to say goodbye. She became increasingly lonely and worried about getting covid and dying alone. In her dying days, I couldn’t go to hospital to say goodbye to her.

so frankly, I find it disgusting that someone who held responsibility on reporting on these lockdowns - who used their influence and responsibility to report and ask compliance from the rest of the U.K. - for them to have broken it for a quick shag..? That’s disgusting (and I don’t care if that was a same sex shag or not). It’s utterly contemptible. I find it abhorrent and worthy of being removed from that well paid position of influence and responsibility. Anyone who could do that was never worthy of the role to begin with.

what I also cannot abide is people who shrug it off as not a big deal. You didn’t lose a loved one during covid? Lucky you. But at least have some empathy for those of us that did and endured our pain for the greater good.

I didn’t break lockdown once. Not once.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 21
Me neither....I'm not surprised you are so furious, cee-bee and I'm sorry about the loss of your grandmother and the isolation she experienced.

HE was a sneaky, sleazy hypocrite...He deserves his fall from grace imo. Actions have consequences for everyone including those in the public eye who should have standards of behaviour to uphold.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Having tried therapeutic gardening, Huw decided to take part in a session of art therapy 😌

EE94C3D7-DB1F-4DC7-8043-CC9159E29893.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10