Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

bennna

120k managing large team (1.6k of people). 28 y/o no life and burn out is real! I would honestly say a salary of 40k is enough anything beyond that is just a trade off vs social life and wellness.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 57

MissTeddy

VIP Member
Wow this thread has made me see how many people earn more than me - £25,000 at nearly 40 years old and no hopes of any higher wages for my type of job and abilities
please don’t feel bad. Comparison is the thief of joy and your salary is not a reflection of your worth or your value x

• Heart
Reactions: 56
Am I the only one who regrets having read the posts on this thread? I have realised that a) I’m beyond poor because I don’t even make the minimum wage b) some people are criminally underpaid in their demanding jobs and it both angers and saddens me.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 48

Glittery1

VIP Member
I didn’t go to uni and I have worked my way up to now earning £50k per year (I remember when this thread started I was on £26k and dreaming about £30K).

I never give myself credit but this has made me reflect and I’m so fucking proud of myself 🎉

• Heart
Reactions: 41

MancMum

Just wanted to say thanks to this thread it made me realise I was very underpaid (graphic designer) Loved my job but got a family to support and now found another with a 7k payrise

• Heart
Reactions: 37

Nolongerjustalurker

Chatty Member
I work in the charity sector which no one joins for the salary and I’ve been on the same money since I started nearly 4 years ago. I’ve just been told I’m getting a pay rise of nearly 3k, taking me up to 30,000 (I’m a dept head) I’m so excited, I’ve worked so hard for this and it’s so nice to see that it’s been recognised.

• Heart
Reactions: 36

NorryC

£135k plus 20-40% bonus per annum. Financial Controller for a large construction group. Early 30s. Work min. 50 hrs pw and don't really switch off but I love it.

Mediocre grades and didn't go to university, did my AAT & ACA after my a-levels and worked my arse off.

There was an element of luck - good mentors and good opportunities to progress but I would not have been given those chances without a good work ethic and attitude.

Downside, I missed out on travelling, uni, nights out other experiences in my 20s as I was studying and i regret taking life so seriously.

I've got major imposter syndrome as I don't have a degree and I'm a woman in a very male industry.

I haven't got a wealthy family so whilst it seems an insane salary to many, it's what I need to afford to live in London (where I'm from) and help my family.

Top tip: be more "masculine" in approach to job hunting, i.e. knowing your worth and being bolder with salary expectations. Your current salary sets the base for all future roles.

Reactions: 33

Ummasad

Forgive me if I sound stupid here as I'm not completely educated on the subject. Obviously as a single mother it would be different, but I just can't understand why, as a woman still with her partner, I would bother working at all with those childcare costs. When I have kids I fully intend to be a SAHM because why would I pay most of my salary to spend all my time at work and not see them 🤣 might as well have a little side hustle and make the extra few hundred quid out of that. Fine by me I hate working anyway.
1. Because I worked hard to get where I am in my career and don't want to give that up
2. Because as much as I love my children, I don't want to be at home full-time with them
3. Because I have seen friends become SAHMs and then struggle to get back into employment after a few years
4. Because I don't want to be financially dependent on someone else
5. Because by doing something I want (going back to work) I believe I am setting a good example for my children
6. Because I earn more than double what my husband earns and we wouldn't be able to maintain our current lifestyle if I didn't work
7. Because I don't like to confirm to gender stereotypes
8. Because I genuinely don't know what I would do with my time if I was at home (maternity leave bored me to tears, quite literally)
9. Because I receive excellent benefits associated with my job that I didn't want to give up (health insurance, school fees, flight allowances etc)
10. Because I want to have a part of my life where I am recognised and respected for being something other than 'X's mum'

No judgement on SAHMs by the way. These are just my personal reasons.

• Heart
Reactions: 31

MissTeddy

VIP Member
My parents never charged me rent and I still became a responsible human who pays my mortgage etc. It really doesn’t matter- there’s no right or wrong, just personal preference.
I will never charge my children money to live in our family home, just my personal preference and I don’t expect it to have much impact on the overall people they will become.

• Heart
Reactions: 26

xx3221

VIP Member
Our opinions on this are a mile apart so I'm going to leave it there.
Dad that grew up with nothing that wanted to give his children everything and there is nothing wrong with that.
I will do the same for my children for as long as I need to or can. I often get this exact reaction but I would like you to know there isn’t a single thing wrong with it. I still choose to work and invest my money correctly though I do not need to.

• Heart
Reactions: 26

grannypants

Chatty Member
Love this thread!

I work in Marketing, was being paid 19k (hugely underpaid for how qualified I am - I have a degree and been out of uni 3 years, mainly took the role to build up experience)
But I recently got a great new job offer, 30k per year plus bonuses, really proud of myself!! 🥳

• Heart
Reactions: 25

veryfondoftea

VIP Member
I thought the OP did a typo and it should be pa not pcm? That would also make the comment about pay vs childcare flexibility make more sense?
Oh god MASSIVE typo, I bloody wish hahahaha that's per YEAR not month :LOL: works out about £1500pcm after tax etc

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22

MissTeddy

VIP Member
All these young people earning mega bucks and I'm sat here wondering where did I go wrong with my life :ROFLMAO:

• Heart

Homebird44

VIP Member
Wow this thread has made me see how many people earn more than me - £25,000 at nearly 40 years old and no hopes of any higher wages for my type of job and abilities
Youre younger than me and earn more than I do. I don't care tbh. My quality of life is more important than my salary or work stress.

• Heart

Loveit17

£12 ph for 15 hours per week, we have 2 young kids in school which is why I work part time, my husband earns £115K a year, I get a lot of comments from family and friends along the lines of “why do you work if you don’t have to technically?” (They don’t know my husbands earnings but guess from knowing his job) the answer is always because I want to, I like knowing I’ve earned my own money

• Heart

Allthatglitters666

Chatty Member
I find this thread so inspirational. It's motivated me to finally apply for a course to gain a qualification I want and to also apply for a promotion. Thank you to everyone who has shared their story ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 21

Chocolateorange67

I’m actually contemplating asking if I can go down to 4 days a week. I earn £56k and as I’m single, no kids, no debt, I can easily afford to reduce salary to 4 days. I think living life is more important! I’d love Fridays off :)

• Heart
  • Haha

Synthetic

I'm a 30 year old single mum earning 45k as a civil servant (don't all boo me at once!).

5 years ago I was battling cancer, I then became a mum and returned to my career earning just enough to pay the bills and eat very basic meals.

I have worked my backside off to get to where I am now but I often feel defeated because what I earn seems to go nowhere.
The cost of living is worrying and I dread to think how much worse it will be by the end of this year.

• Heart

Glittery1

VIP Member
My company gave 3% this year for a payrise. Massively below inflation rates however im still grateful as I’ve worked for companies who never uplifted workers wages.

Also feeling very proud - when this thread originally started during one of the original lockdowns I was on 26K, I now earn 52k 🥳

With the same company, within the same team but I’ve developed through the ranks. Mostly dare I say it due to the positive effect covid had on our industry.

• Heart
  • Wow