How Much Do You Earn? #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
what do you think of 28k as a starting salary?(entry level marketing related). This was converted from CAD. Finishing uni soon and just trying to stay motivated
Given that I started on about £13k as a new graduate (albeit nearly 15 years ago) and four years later was only on £19.5k, I think it's pretty good assuming you aren't in London

Reactions: 4
what do you think of 28k as a starting salary?(entry level marketing related). This was converted from CAD. Finishing uni soon and just trying to stay motivated
Pretty bloody good!!
My starting wage after i had graduated with my MA and my first job as a qualified social worker was £25k.
I really did choose the wrong thing in life. haha

Reactions: 5
I'm a 30 year old single mum earning 45k as a civil servant (don't all boo me at once!).

5 years ago I was battling cancer, I then became a mum and returned to my career earning just enough to pay the bills and eat very basic meals.

I have worked my backside off to get to where I am now but I often feel defeated because what I earn seems to go nowhere.
The cost of living is worrying and I dread to think how much worse it will be by the end of this year.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Given that I started on about £13k as a new graduate (albeit nearly 15 years ago) and four years later was only on £19.5k, I think it's pretty good assuming you aren't in London
thank you and no not in london, that gives me a better idea of whether i should be happy with it or not.

Pretty bloody good!!
My starting wage after i had graduated with my MA and my first job as a qualified social worker was £25k.
I really did choose the wrong thing in life. haha
thanks, you know im also envious at the people capable of doing a lot of school, i just knew i wasn't fit for that.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
We've been sent our pay review. £400 a year pay rise, better than nothing. We are on a low pay band and we have been shown the increments for that band. We're all on increment one and have been told that we are staying on increment one as they can't afford to pay more. I've been working for them for six years and anybody new that starts now will be on the same yearly salary as me.

Reactions: 1
Roughly 1500 a month with tips. 30 hours a week. I'm abroad working for quite an expensive restaurant. They've now made me sign a kinda non disclosure so I don't actually know how much I can talk about my job 😅

An NDA for a restaurant??
This time round I had to sign a lot more papers and that was one of the few papers. (New job same company). The law might be a bit different where I am I'm not certain tbh. But I just assume I can't discuss clients out of work 🤷🏼‍♀️

This time round I had to sign a lot more papers and that was one of the few papers. (New job same company). The law might be a bit different where I am I'm not certain tbh. But I just assume I can't discuss clients out of work 🤷🏼‍♀️
Its unusual for that area of work! Or maybe the nda's are so watertight, you just dont know its a done thing 😂

thank you and no not in london, that gives me a better idea of whether i should be happy with it or not.

thanks, you know im also envious at the people capable of doing a lot of school, i just knew i wasn't fit for that.
Dont get me wrong, my CV looks impressive and i do love learning and being in a uni environment, but i did quite a generic (usless!!!haha) BA in History/Criminology, and then a really specific MA in Social Work so my options were kind of limited for employment.
I am always jealous of people who either didnt go to uni and they have good well paid jobs, or people who studied business. I always imagine people who have gone into marketing and/or recruitment as the 'cool' kids who get to work hard and play hard in funky London offices. :)

• Heart
Dont get me wrong, my CV looks impressive and i do love learning and being in a uni environment, but i did quite a generic (usless!!!haha) BA in History/Criminology, and then a really specific MA in Social Work so my options were kind of limited for employment.
I am always jealous of people who either didnt go to uni and they have good well paid jobs, or people who studied business. I always imagine people who have gone into marketing and/or recruitment as the 'cool' kids who get to work hard and play hard in funky London offices. :)
My daughter (25 yrs)did an HR degree ( got a First) and briefly worked in recruitment ( but during lockdown so didn’t get to experience office culture in the city- but it would have been crazy!)….
She ditched this job last September to follow her first love ( fashion) and is now working in sample development with a fashion company and is based in Bali ( earning £25k) but has a villa with pool ( cleaner and pool boy x3/week)- the team frequently hire a villa for the weekend- this weekend they took a sunrise boat trip to go dolphin spotting
Her boyfriend is a software engineer and joined her last December as a “digital nomad” and earns in excess of £60k
I feel I’ve got nothing to show for my 35 years in the NHS other than poor health and can’t wait to retire!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I have been meaning to post this for a while, but I forget everytime.

America is now offering a green card to nurses and their families, on arrival. The pay is also very good.

So any nurses wanting a change, it might be worth a look.

America is now offering a green card to nurses and their families, on arrival. The pay is also very good.

that's so crazy in canada especially quebec they're looking for nurses as well!

Just got a payrise up to market rate 🙌 for software implementation with some line management responsibilities- £33k. At the bottom rung of this department I was on £17k, what a shitshow.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I'm a 30 year old single mum earning 45k as a civil servant (don't all boo me at once!).

5 years ago I was battling cancer, I then became a mum and returned to my career earning just enough to pay the bills and eat very basic meals.

I have worked my backside off to get to where I am now but I often feel defeated because what I earn seems to go nowhere.
The cost of living is worrying and I dread to think how much worse it will be by the end of this year.
Yup, I’m a single mum earning 47k as a public sector manager and it doesn’t seem to go far!

Reactions: 2
I previously commented on this thread about studying HNC Admin & IT and was unsure about what I wanted to do next such as go on to HND or degree. I’m curious, and am sorry to be derailing the thread slightly, but does anyone know if online IT certifications actually mean anything here in the UK? By that I mean certifications offered by Microsoft, Google, Coursera etc. I see a lot of people online rave about these courses and how you can get into ‘high paying careers’ with them, but that just seems far too easy to be true?

The reason I ask is that there is VERY limited IT on my course (even though it’s called Admin & IT..) and I would love to learn more and potentially open doors for a new career. I’d be looking into basic, introductory courses first and then possibly move into a more specific area if I found I enjoyed it. Would these certifications mean much alongside my HNC, without a degree in an IT subject? Or are these certifications more for those already in the IT field?

There’s very little room for me to grow in my current job in the NHS unless I wanted to move into management, which I definitely do not want. I can’t stay on the wage I’m on now as I’m really struggling and don’t want to jump from boring job to boring job just for a little extra cash. I want to find something I actually enjoy AND pays well.

This thread seems to have a lot of reach in the IT/techy side so I’m hoping someone can offer some advice, but feel free to ignore me if it’ll derail the thread too much.

Quick update

My wifes cousin and his nurse wife got a nursing job in Florida. She qualified years ago, but did not work, she brushed up on her skills and is on $1000 per day.

I still can't believe she gets so much, but they have no reason to lie.
So any nurses here, it might be worth a look.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I previously commented on this thread about studying HNC Admin & IT and was unsure about what I wanted to do next such as go on to HND or degree. I’m curious, and am sorry to be derailing the thread slightly, but does anyone know if online IT certifications actually mean anything here in the UK? By that I mean certifications offered by Microsoft, Google, Coursera etc. I see a lot of people online rave about these courses and how you can get into ‘high paying careers’ with them, but that just seems far too easy to be true?

The reason I ask is that there is VERY limited IT on my course (even though it’s called Admin & IT..) and I would love to learn more and potentially open doors for a new career. I’d be looking into basic, introductory courses first and then possibly move into a more specific area if I found I enjoyed it. Would these certifications mean much alongside my HNC, without a degree in an IT subject? Or are these certifications more for those already in the IT field?

There’s very little room for me to grow in my current job in the NHS unless I wanted to move into management, which I definitely do not want. I can’t stay on the wage I’m on now as I’m really struggling and don’t want to jump from boring job to boring job just for a little extra cash. I want to find something I actually enjoy AND pays well.

This thread seems to have a lot of reach in the IT/techy side so I’m hoping someone can offer some advice, but feel free to ignore me if it’ll derail the thread too much.
Did you get any further on this? Are there any IM&T training opportunities at your NHS trust? Can you approach someone in the business/information management teams to see what they work on?

If you want an IT job you can work your way up quite quickly from an entry level role (IT customer support) to an average wage in certain public sectors but it would involve managing small teams. It also depends on what IT work you enjoy.

Online courses are good if you’re into analytics/coding and can create projects with the skills you’ve learnt to prove your capability to employers. Project management courses are also sought after.

£56k a year - flood risk management consultant at an engineering firm.

Reactions: 3