How Much Do You Earn? #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Did you get any further on this? Are there any IM&T training opportunities at your NHS trust? Can you approach someone in the business/information management teams to see what they work on?

If you want an IT job you can work your way up quite quickly from an entry level role (IT customer support) to an average wage in certain public sectors but it would involve managing small teams. It also depends on what IT work you enjoy.

Online courses are good if you’re into analytics/coding and can create projects with the skills you’ve learnt to prove your capability to employers. Project management courses are also sought after.
Not really, no. I started the free Google course in Digital Marketing which I do enjoy, but it’s not pulling at my interests enough to pursue it further once I’m done.

We don’t have ‘trusts’ here in NHS Scotland and there’s not really much training opportunity unless you’re in the healthcare side like HCA or support worker. Admin always get left out and shoved to the side. I could put myself forward for a secondment if one came up but I already know I would get turned down because I’m the only person in the department that does my job and they wouldn’t hire anyone else to replace me even if it was short term. Really my job is a 2 person job but I’ve been told they’re not hiring anyone else because it’s ‘not needed’ and there’s ‘no money in the budget anyway’. Tbh I kinda want away from the NHS now, it’s not what I thought it would be when I applied and now that I know there’s no room for progression plus it’s tit pay, there’s really no need for me to stay.

I’ve been eyeing up another job in the Scottish Government so think I’m gonna apply for that and see what happens. It’s in HR which is another area I’m interested in and is somewhat related to my HNC. It’s also £5k more than I earn now which is a bonus.

Reactions: 1
I'm a plumber for the local authority earning 29k a year, 33 days plus bank holidays now and do 37 hours a week. I imagine I could earn double that if I went in to the private sector but to be honest I like knowing I'll be home by 16:30 Monday to Friday. I could do call to increase it slightly but there's more to life..

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I work full-time as a product designer and I mostly work from home, I sometimes go into the office (usually twice a month). I have 28 days of annual leave plus bank holidays.

In 2019, I started off on €38,000 when I barely had any experience, and was the only designer in the firm (it's a start-up). I got a small raise in 2021, went up to €40,000. Now the team is growing and we finally have a junior designer so I got a promotion last week to lead designer and I'm on €46,500.

Sometimes when I feel like reaching my salary goals is impossible (€60k), I have to remind myself that up until 2018 I was in a horrific minimum wage job, doing 40 - 60 hours a week and bullied by a power-tripping, egotistical manager. I was even doing the managers job as this prick was so incompetent, but paid €9 an hour. I think he was jealous of me because I was just finishing up my masters degree at this point and on my way to becoming a product designer. He had done a few graphic design/film/photography evening courses but he never really got anywhere with it. But yeah, I've come a long way :)

Side story:
I bumped into my ex-boss a month ago, and turns out he's unemployed (or "freelancing" as he put it lol). It felt SO good to tell him that I'm the head of the design department in my firm.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
£135k plus 20-40% bonus per annum. Financial Controller for a large construction group. Early 30s. Work min. 50 hrs pw and don't really switch off but I love it.

Mediocre grades and didn't go to university, did my AAT & ACA after my a-levels and worked my arse off.

There was an element of luck - good mentors and good opportunities to progress but I would not have been given those chances without a good work ethic and attitude.

Downside, I missed out on travelling, uni, nights out other experiences in my 20s as I was studying and i regret taking life so seriously.

I've got major imposter syndrome as I don't have a degree and I'm a woman in a very male industry.

I haven't got a wealthy family so whilst it seems an insane salary to many, it's what I need to afford to live in London (where I'm from) and help my family.

Top tip: be more "masculine" in approach to job hunting, i.e. knowing your worth and being bolder with salary expectations. Your current salary sets the base for all future roles.

Reactions: 33
£135k plus 20-40% bonus per annum. Financial Controller for a large construction group. Early 30s. Work min. 50 hrs pw and don't really switch off but I love it.

Mediocre grades and didn't go to university, did my AAT & ACA after my a-levels and worked my arse off.

There was an element of luck - good mentors and good opportunities to progress but I would not have been given those chances without a good work ethic and attitude.

Downside, I missed out on travelling, uni, nights out other experiences in my 20s as I was studying and i regret taking life so seriously.

I've got major imposter syndrome as I don't have a degree and I'm a woman in a very male industry.

I haven't got a wealthy family so whilst it seems an insane salary to many, it's what I need to afford to live in London (where I'm from) and help my family.

Top tip: be more "masculine" in approach to job hunting, i.e. knowing your worth and being bolder with salary expectations. Your current salary sets the base for all future roles.
Tbf even for London, 135k with those bonuses is still pretty insane! Well done, love to see women doing well in male-dominated fields. My organisation has a lot of women in senior roles and more are stepping into leadership roles within the finance and construction areas, love to see it.

Reactions: 21
I am very proud of the fact i am a social worker and the positive work i do. However the money is not great; especially for the responsibilities i have. I personally think im worth more than my salary- as are all the other social workers, nurses, teachers etc. But generally people dont go into these professions for the money. I even have a mug that says "Social Worker: In it for the outcome not the income".
I could always have a career change, and its my dream to go on and do my Phd and i would love to work in a University but thats for the future.
Hello fellow SW! We're also in the industry where we can't ever request a payrise. It's not awful pay, but definitely not worth the risk & accountability (and daily abuse which in every other industry is not accepted but ours we are supposed to just take it). I am grateful for the pension/sick/holiday pay. Tempted by locum work but I do prefer the security of the benefits above I think

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I earn just under £28k and work in the arts/heritage industry. There’s not a lot a lot of scope for progression and reading everyone else’s salaries on here makes me feel so much regret for getting into this industry in the first place. I’m desperate for a career change (for other reasons than the money tbh) and hoping that I’ve not left it too late (I’m nearly 40)!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
£53k Band 8b NHS - Finance Manager for a large Trust.

I feel like I get paid well for the job I do, but wages are low compared to private sector. But I love knowing I am supporting patients indirectly and don't ever see myself leaving the NHS.

£53k Band 8b NHS - Finance Manager for a large Trust.

I feel like I get paid well for the job I do, but wages are low compared to private sector. But I love knowing I am supporting patients indirectly and don't ever see myself leaving the NHS.
Can always move up to Scotland for a wee bit extra. Band 8b NHS here is £61k - £66k! Although that extra money may be spent stocking up on thermals🤣

• Haha
Just wanted to say thanks to this thread it made me realise I was very underpaid (graphic designer) Loved my job but got a family to support and now found another with a 7k payrise

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Just had a pretty good parise to 28k fte - I work 24hrs a week so 19k part time wage.

I'm on maternity leave right now so I won't really see the benefit of this payrise until I go back but I'm seeing this as a new starting point for the long term goals for me and my family

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Hello fellow SW! We're also in the industry where we can't ever request a payrise. It's not awful pay, but definitely not worth the risk & accountability (and daily abuse which in every other industry is not accepted but ours we are supposed to just take it). I am grateful for the pension/sick/holiday pay. Tempted by locum work but I do prefer the security of the benefits above I think
You know it blows my mind that we are expected to go into situations alone where the police would never dream of going there alone! Yet it is expected of us!! :)

Reactions: 2
You know it blows my mind that we are expected to go into situations alone where the police would never dream of going there alone! Yet it is expected of us!! :)
And the police have equipment to protect themselves. We have a pen and a notebook if lucky 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Tell me about it, I remember when my dad was working, sometimes going to see patients in tower blocks late at night.

Police patrol in twos but docs etc are expected to go by themselves. I think rules have changed now.

My husband works for a private facilities company but is based in a central government building. All security checks passed and manages the building contractors etc. I personally don't think his wage is that good for his role. If somebody is in a similar role, can you please advise what you'd expect to get paid. Thank you.

I own a social media management company, and I am a coach.
Earn around £3k pm, work around 6 hours a day, 4 days a week.