Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

thegoodnaysayer

I think I need to unfollow this thread because it is depressing me so much to realise how little I make?! I'm being fucked 😫

Reactions: 15

MissTeddy

VIP Member
Where you live in the UK has a massive impact on how financially comfortable you feel.
Mortgage payments on a family home in the SE are brutal.

• Heart

Zenchick101

VIP Member
£130k as a compliance officer for a medical devices company. 9.30am - 5pm Mon-Fri. 30 days annual leave, plus bank holidays, plus 2 week company shut down over Xmas and new year.
I'll be a potted plant in your office if that pays

• Haha

Clairer86

VIP Member
Does anyone else think back to when they were younger; we were taught (well i was anyway) to do well at school, pass my exams, go to uni and then it would be easy to earn decent money? I come from a very low working class family, my family still live in the council house i grew up in, and my parents were never wealthy. But i was always taught that the better student you were the more you would earn! (how bloody wrong that was)!!
I did graduate in 2009 which was the worst fucking year for graduates following the crash and i ended up signing on when i finished my BA. I did end up getting a job (back home in my hometown and on pretty shit pay), but then i went back to uni to do my MA. Dont get me wrong it gave me a profession and im a social worker, but looking at what other people earn compared to me, and when i think to the responsibility i have, its actually not a great paid job at all.
Dont get me wrong me and other half both earn and we have a mortgage, 2 amazing kids, and we are happy. But sometimes i do feel like i have wasted my life, and i could have done so much better for myself. But i live in the Lake District- yes its beautiful but its hardly the economic capital of the world!!! Sometimes i do feel a bit jealous when i see people earning so much more than me, especially as it was drilled into me to study study study and the rewards would be instant following graduation.
But we are happy, and there people alot worse off than me. So i should be grateful for what i have got

Tunacanoe

I also did accounting part time by night never went to university as I got pregnant after school 🙈 started with the accounting technician and now work as a finance director salary of 100k

• Heart

Nolongerjustalurker

Chatty Member
After a long 6 months of job hunting, interviews and disappointment, today I accepted a new job, going from 31k to 38k and a home based role 🙌 byeeee m25
I work in the charity sector.

• Heart

Rxt156

VIP Member
Are your parents not charging you rent? My eldest starts his new job in a few weeks and I've ready emailed him the invoice.
Emailed the invoice 😂😂😂 Seems a little formal for your own child

Dad that grew up with nothing that wanted to give his children everything and there is nothing wrong with that.
I will do the same for my children for as long as I need to or can. I often get this exact reaction but I would like you to know there isn’t a single thing wrong with it. I still choose to work and invest my money correctly though I do not need to.
If it makes life any easier just tell everyone that you do pay rent. End of conversation 😅. You don’t need to explain yourself to anyone.

I only ever had to pay a small % but my parents were just making a point.

Reactions: 14

maharini

I’ve gone from a £55k a year job in Comms to earning £400 a month in a minimum wage job with hours that allow me to write in the day and have a bit of banter in my day, be useful. Have put aside £10k of pandemic savings to give me £800 a month for bills & food and currently manage this easily. Hopefully doing it for a year, to finish 2 novels. I’m lucky, mortgage finished, but have been astonished to discover how much cash I wilfully wasted while working. How did I manage to spend an extra £2k a month? When I go back I’ll be living a much more frugal life and concentrating more on experiences than things.

• Heart

Sloth

Chatty Member
Don’t worry, I’m convinced people just write shit like that to piss people off
Not sure if we read the same post but they have said it isn’t fantastic for a chief executive role, which it isn’t. Unsure why that would piss people off. No one suggested it wasn’t a good salary when compared to the uk average.

Homebird44

VIP Member
I work full time in a call centre. Its shit!! I'm on 21k. We work Saturdays and the shifts range from 8am start to 7pm finish. We're back soon as I've been WFH and they've taken our parking away. Morale is low between myself and my colleagues but the managers can't wait to get us all back in.

petitspois

VIP Member
Forgive me if I sound stupid here as I'm not completely educated on the subject. Obviously as a single mother it would be different, but I just can't understand why, as a woman still with her partner, I would bother working at all with those childcare costs. When I have kids I fully intend to be a SAHM because why would I pay most of my salary to spend all my time at work and not see them 🤣 might as well have a little side hustle and make the extra few hundred quid out of that. Fine by me I hate working anyway.
Well loads of reasons; to have something for yourself, some personal income (just generally and in case things go wrong), to carry on with a career you enjoy, to not have childcare as your be all and end all, maybe your partner isn't a high earner. Everyone's different and everyone's situations are different. Hopefully, we all get to play it how we want and not have decisions made for us by circumstances and costs.

Reactions: 13

Cariad

VIP Member
Dont get me wrong, my CV looks impressive and i do love learning and being in a uni environment, but i did quite a generic (usless!!!haha) BA in History/Criminology, and then a really specific MA in Social Work so my options were kind of limited for employment.
I am always jealous of people who either didnt go to uni and they have good well paid jobs, or people who studied business. I always imagine people who have gone into marketing and/or recruitment as the 'cool' kids who get to work hard and play hard in funky London offices. :)
My daughter (25 yrs)did an HR degree ( got a First) and briefly worked in recruitment ( but during lockdown so didn’t get to experience office culture in the city- but it would have been crazy!)….
She ditched this job last September to follow her first love ( fashion) and is now working in sample development with a fashion company and is based in Bali ( earning £25k) but has a villa with pool ( cleaner and pool boy x3/week)- the team frequently hire a villa for the weekend- this weekend they took a sunrise boat trip to go dolphin spotting
Her boyfriend is a software engineer and joined her last December as a “digital nomad” and earns in excess of £60k
I feel I’ve got nothing to show for my 35 years in the NHS other than poor health and can’t wait to retire!

• Heart

HoGi

VIP Member
I'm on £39k, secondary teacher, 8yrs into teaching.

Anyone here who has left the profession with a positive story? I want to leave but unsure of what roles to look for. I know that I have a lot if transferable skills. Thanks
Go into management in public sector your skills are highly transferable as it is like working with kids 🤣🤣

• Haha

Popcornshovel

VIP Member
Forgive me if I sound stupid here as I'm not completely educated on the subject. Obviously as a single mother it would be different, but I just can't understand why, as a woman still with her partner, I would bother working at all with those childcare costs. When I have kids I fully intend to be a SAHM because why would I pay most of my salary to spend all my time at work and not see them 🤣 might as well have a little side hustle and make the extra few hundred quid out of that. Fine by me I hate working anyway.
I don't have kids but some of friends do, and their take-home salary is almost entirely taken up by the childcare cost. But they carry on working for the future benefits. E.g while working they're still paying into their pensions (and getting the employee payment into it as well) and keeping skills current or developing skills for future promotions.

Rxt156

VIP Member

But yeah, 6.5 years ago I was on 26k and coming to the end of a 6 month contract. 7 years ago, not working and paying for a Masters that I didn’t know if it would get me to where I wanted. A lot of luck, bit of risk taking, openness to relocate and enough confidence/bullshit to make the other side blink first!!
read this as ‘paying for malteasers’. Im such a fat cow hahaha

It’s interesting to hear everyone else’s earnings. I would miss the school holidays if I changed industry

• Haha

Click77

I returned to work PT about 4 months ago. I had a 10 year career break after redundancy where I had worked for a higher global company for over 10 years with a 50k year. My career break was longer than expected as my mother became terminally ill and I cared for her for 2 years. I returned to work before the pandemic in an office ‘ mum job’ that worked around school hours. £1000 month for 25 hours. The business collapsed due to Covid.
I took on a new role that I really like as office/ business manager for a small fast growing company. There is the owner and me and one other girl. I do so so so much, have a lot of responsibility and I am paid 11.50 hour, no bank hols, have to use my annual leave. I feel so out of touch with wages and I know I am massively underpaid so this thread has been helpful. I needed to build my confidence after a long break and mums really do suffer from these breaks. My husband has been able to really build his career and travel extensively due to me being a stay at home mum, but I am mid 40’s have a degree, huge experience and need to believe in myself more now I have seen the pay rates around!

• Heart