How Much Do You Earn? #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Plug in your salary (old and new), student loan plan and pension contributions to Listentotaxman.com to see what the difference is.
Thanks, had a quick look and I have two different loan plans 😕 Not got a new salary yet but thinking of the impact of any raises etc.

I work as a Head of HR, I’m just turned 35 and salary is £78k plus bonus of around £3k a year linked to my KPIs - public(ish) sector, work 35 hours a week officially (probably 40-45 in reality). I know it’s not normal - I earn about three times as much as most of my friends so I tend to keep it quiet in real life...

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I’m about to start a new job in the charity sector as an individual giving assistant, 25k a year. Does anyone here work in the charity/fundraising sector and can give me some insight?

I work as a Head of HR, I’m just turned 35 and salary is £78k plus bonus of around £3k a year linked to my KPIs - public(ish) sector, work 35 hours a week officially (probably 40-45 in reality). I know it’s not normal - I earn about three times as much as most of my friends so I tend to keep it quiet in real life...
This is the dream! An excellent salary with very reasonable hours and hopefully you like your workplace as well.

This might be a stage of life thing but I've also found that as I entered my 30s, the disparity in income and lifestyle between my old friends and I have widened considerably and it's definitely led to some tensions, even though I never share my salary or talk much about my work unless it's stuff like a tough client or long working hours recently. People will always assume based on what you do and my partner also can't help but sometimes share how proud he is of me for my professional accomplishments, and that definitely makes things awkward with some people in his circle as well.

Reactions: 5
This is the dream! An excellent salary with very reasonable hours and hopefully you like your workplace as well.

This might be a stage of life thing but I've also found that as I entered my 30s, the disparity in income and lifestyle between my old friends and I have widened considerably and it's definitely led to some tensions, even though I never share my salary or talk much about my work unless it's stuff like a tough client or long working hours recently. People will always assume based on what you do and my partner also can't help but sometimes share how proud he is of me for my professional accomplishments, and that definitely makes things awkward with some people in his circle as well.
Get better friends.

Reactions: 11
Get better friends.
Definitely have done that! Most of my good friends now are from my professional circle or university. I do miss the childhood friendships though and wish I had more of those, but not much I can do about that at this point.

Reactions: 5

This has been something I’ve thought but with family, not that they have a problem (at least haven’t said anything to my face), but I come from a pretty poor family who still struggle now. All of my other siblings earn minimum wage or mid £20,000s and kind of just get by, but I was earning £45k plus bonuses (hopefully) by the time I was 26. I’ve worked for it by being the first in my family to go to uni, then getting a masters and professional qualification, but there’s just the awkwardness of talking about my life sometimes, like my mum asking why I need my nephew to watch my pets for a couple of days and it’s because I’m going on my 3rd holiday this year. Even something as stupid as offering my family a cup of tea and biscuits and they were M&S and my dad commented how they were posh biscuits, you don’t know if that’s just an observation or a funny comment.

I feel like the kids of today would call this imposter syndrome, but it’s a worry I have that my future children and their cousins will have two different lives and that could grow resentment toward them.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
This has been something I’ve thought but with family, not that they have a problem (at least haven’t said anything to my face), but I come from a pretty poor family who still struggle now. All of my other siblings earn minimum wage or mid £20,000s and kind of just get by, but I was earning £45k plus bonuses (hopefully) by the time I was 26. I’ve worked for it by being the first in my family to go to uni, then getting a masters and professional qualification, but there’s just the awkwardness of talking about my life sometimes, like my mum asking why I need my nephew to watch my pets for a couple of days and it’s because I’m going on my 3rd holiday this year. Even something as stupid as offering my family a cup of tea and biscuits and they were M&S and my dad commented how they were posh biscuits, you don’t know if that’s just an observation or a funny comment.

I feel like the kids of today would call this imposter syndrome, but it’s a worry I have that my future children and their cousins will have two different lives and that could grow resentment toward them.
I have a very similar story to share ! My father was the first in his family to go to university and my mother is the only one of her siblings to do so. While trades can pay extremely well, no one in my extended family works in those areas so my family has always been better off relatively, and there has been a lot of tension from my cousins as a result. Unfortunately, I barely speak to them these days and a big part of that was them resenting me since we were kids. I don't even have a memory of this but my mom told me that they found my cousin's scribbles once when we were taking a family vacation, and in it, she talked about how much she hated me and how she thought I was lucky and didn't deserve everything I had. We were five and six. It's hard to have conversations with people who think you're bragging at every turn, even though you're just answering their questions about what plans you've made or offering them some biscuits. My family and I try to be generous with gifts and attention when we do see them, but that adds a whole other layer of complications where people feel like you're looking down on them. I sincerely hope that won't be the case for your future children but at least in my personal experience, it's been tough! One of my uncles is a sweetheart and is super proud of me and my mom, but his wife and daughter resents us.

I'm sure your parents are proud of you and always will be, but it's harder to know with siblings and especially their kids.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
There may be a part of luck too. But anyway, if they love you (and you behave normally with them), they will be genuinely happy for you.
Avoid toxic people. If it wasn't for money, they would probably have been jealous for another reason. It's their problem, not yours.

I find this thread so inspirational. It's motivated me to finally apply for a course to gain a qualification I want and to also apply for a promotion. Thank you to everyone who has shared their story ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I find this thread so inspirational. It's motivated me to finally apply for a course to gain a qualification I want and to also apply for a promotion. Thank you to everyone who has shared their story ❤
Good luck with the application for promotion xx

Reactions: 1
I was listening to something yesterday that said only spend your own time with people whose eyes light up when they see you. Great advice - jealous people will never be on your side.

Here to say that I felt a lot less stress as a departmental Head on £60k a year than I do now on a year out on 12 hours minimum wage. I work really hard, but expectations of my Managers waaaaay out of line for a tenner an hour. And no thanks for extras or a job well done. It’ll make me a better Manager when I go back!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
This may be slightly off topic but this thread is the place I feel like it fits the best so please direct me to the more appropriate thread if there is one.
I’m looking for peoples opinions on how much disposable income do you feel comfortable having left once all essential bills are paid (housing bills, food shop, petrol)?

Reactions: 1
This may be slightly off topic but this thread is the place I feel like it fits the best so please direct me to the more appropriate thread if there is one.
I’m looking for peoples opinions on how much disposable income do you feel comfortable having left once all essential bills are paid (housing bills, food shop, petrol)?
There was a thread on this but not been posted on in a while https://tattle.life/threads/how-much-disposable-income-do-you-have-each-month.28350/

• Heart
Reactions: 2
What do people think on this situation. Should someone who has been working at a company get more pay than someone who hasn’t been there as long? For example someone being there 4 years should they get more over someone there 1 year? Similar amounts of experience otherwise. Or should everyone be paid the same regardless of time at the company?
I always thought it’s fair for people there for longer getting paid a bit more but my manager doesn’t believe it should be a thing.

What do people think on this situation. Should someone who has been working at a company get more pay than someone who hasn’t been there as long? For example someone being there 4 years should they get more over someone there 1 year? Similar amounts of experience otherwise. Or should everyone be paid the same regardless of time at the company?
I always thought it’s fair for people there for longer getting paid a bit more but my manager doesn’t believe it should be a thing.
If 2 people are doing exactly the same job, with exactly the same responsibilities then I personally don’t think one should get paid more than other simply because they have been there longer. That’s how you end up with people sitting in jobs for years doing the entry level amount of work but earning far more than they are due.

Reactions: 6
At my company after a maximum of 2 years from starting everyone doing the same job is paid exactly the same i.e. when you join you might paid a bit less but within 2 years you will be on the same as someone who has been doing the job for 20 years. It is good as there is no secrecy about pay etc.

However prior to that there was a lot of bad blood when people were paid more for the same job just because they have been there longer. Or worse, negotiated a better salary at starting and were earning more on day one than someone who had been there years.

As much as my company's way is a good way of doing it, you have to expect that everywhere will be different. In theory longevity/loyalty should be rewarded but in business it rarely is. Most people I know will move jobs for a higher salary. There is only so far cost of living increases will get you. You change role/company and negotiate a higher starting salary.

I would be annoyed if someone got paid more than me just because they had been at my firm for 5 years and I had been at another firm for 5 years. I think you do need to recognise long service so I don’t mind an extra 2 days holiday or even an extra wee bit of bonus but pay should be the same!

Reactions: 6
In the NHS our wage goes up with length of service. So I may be doing the same job as someone else but I might be further up my banding. Same goes for annual leave, the longer you work in the NHS the more you get.

Attachments