Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

skvallertant

Chatty Member
I believe that transgender is used for people who identify as being a different gender but don’t take steps to transition, whereas transsexuals usually want to medically transition (please do correct me if I’m wrong anyone!) and this makes sense with the rise of gender theory because many trans people these days don’t want to transition. A lot of the confusion and arguments, I feel, are because people who don’t know much about this debate and the modern day terminology around it still think ‘trans’ means ‘people who medically transitioned’ (as it pretty much used to) and therefore don’t see the cause for concern e.g. risk of sexual violence.
Also hi from a previous (legal) academic, although I got out 😂

Thanks to you and @cedarpeach for your insights!! :)

I'm still under the impression that transsexual is an offensive term, though? Maybe I've misunderstood it.

I'm also hoping to get out of academia...help! Th.D (but don't come for me, I'm an atheist studying the syntax of Ancient/Classical Hebrew :ROFLMAO:)

Reactions: 1

barmj

Chatty Member
@Mamacita, OP also said this:

It’s a big deal because you’re about to sleep with them too. Your sexual partner’s history is very much your business. (And if you know anything about sexual health, you’ll know that sleeping with bisexual men is very risky). It’s important to many women and just because you don’t mind, doesn’t mean you are “right” and everyone else should change their sexuality to match yours. It’s absolutely fine that you’re personally not bothered; your body, your choice. It’s not a choice if you’re not told though.

I would never consent to sleeping with a bisexual man. That is not dogma, that is my inalienable right to say no.
Like, what the fuck? Many straight men have sex without protection and they also cheat but sure, let’s focus on bi men. What do they think is going to happen if they have sex with a bi man? You can be straight and be with a bi man. His sexuality doesn’t change your sexuality??? Also, straight people get STDs and HIV too. They lie about their sexual history too, whether they’ve been tested, etc. But nah, OP is being blatant with their biphobia.

barmj

Chatty Member
I absolutely get where you're coming from, but at the same time what stands out from your post is that women's spaces have to become a safe space for everyone. Did Lavern Cox's character not have a penis anymore? I can't remember but what would be a good start would be mandating physical changes such as that for every male criminal who wants to suddenly self identify as women. Them being put in no changes necessary is ridiculous and has proven to be absolutely dangerous. Violent sex offenders have done far more to have easier access to victims then just signing a few pieces of paper, the Golden State Killer was finally sentenced to life in prison yesterday, in California. This monster would jump at the chance to get access to women, it'd be a dream come true.

It might not be fair, but it has to go both ways. If we're supposed to house tws with women then tms belong with men, on one hand theirs the argument that tws are women and should be housed with people of the same gender and for their safety fine. But so Tms should not be housed with their same gender? I'd think a seperate wing should perhaps be allocated to them but from what I've seen they don't want that either.
Then if all trans people are housed with women for safety reasons, what about frail men/non-violent offenders housed with the most sinister criminals, does their safety not matter? should we house them with women too?

I understand what you're saying, but what you're proposing wouldn't be doable. At minimum they should have SRS before being housed with women, this would improve female inmate safety in my book. I mean imagine it from the perspective of I think 81,000 male inmates? being housed with women by just having to pretend you're one? kid in a candy store material here. Men often come out of prison saying they missed sex with women, had sex with men because nothing else was available.
Yeah, I meant a separate wing for trans women in a male prison, not female prison. I think if a bio man is genuinely trans, not an autogynephile, they’d understand why they wouldn’t be welcome in a female prison and they wouldn’t demand to be housed with women. I mean, I would hope they’d be rational like that? But it depends on why they are being sent to prison, I think? Some criminals aren’t rational at all lol

IIRC, Sophia (Laverne Cox’s character) was in prison for credit card fraud, I think she had a harsh sentence (compared to white men committing the same crime) because she is black, and she got rid of her penis when she transitioned (before her prison days). So I’m like, I wouldn’t want her to be in a male prison, it’d be dangerous for her. I remember one of the prison guards in the FEMALE PRISON saying he fancied a go on Sophia, see what her “designer” vagina feels like. Many male prisoners would have the same attitude tbh.

If it’s just a man who claims to be a woman, without transitioning, no effort to pass, then no. Don’t put him in a female prison. But I can imagine the public outcry if that happened. They’d demand to have him housed with vulnerable female prisoners, and that is just bullshit. Maybe I should have worded my post better but no, I don’t think women only spaces should be open for everyone. 😬

CheshireLove

VIP Member
I have a nonbinary friend. They were born female, but if they're going to be gendered by someone they would prefer to be gendered as male, so they've had top surgery and present as male. They're not overly bothered by the occasional slip-up by those of us who have known them for years though.
Sounds a little similar to Lachlan Watson, the actor from the Netflix show Sabrina.

Pambo

Yes, that's really the problem with all interviews with any feminist, they never say, "but men have it much worse"
Good, because it wouldn't be true, so to say something like that would be as biased as pretending men deal with no gender specific problems, and presenting a skewed narrative on the reality of life for 21st century women in the west.

I've a great deal of respect for feminists like Christina Hoff Sommers and Ayaan Hirsi Ali. The likes of Clementine Ford, not so much.

Zenchick101

VIP Member
I just want to drop this here. Someone in a discussion on twitter Referred to a self identified woman as transgendered. No no no, apparently They don’t identify as trans but as “muxe”

and this is apparently seen as a third gender. Why is this a third gender and that’s fine but trans can’t be and have to appropriate real women’s rights? Answers on a postcard please.
huh? I'm lost

• Haha

Jaybtee

VIP Member
Has anyone read the Janice Turner op ed on Cuties (Netflix?) it’s behind the Times paywall so I can’t read.

Zenchick101

VIP Member
At least Atwood isn't a complete moron.

I used to roll my eyes at right wing people shouting about free speech and think, well you're not going to be locked up for your opinion, you might just have people vehemently disagreeing with you. But either the definition of hate speech has expanded uncontrollably or it's just anything goes now. People should be able to voice their opinion not only without being locked up but also without losing their jobs or receiving torrents of verbal abuse and harassment. There is a difference between a KKK member or a terrorist (whose hate they should face consequences for) and someone who just doesn't identify with the extreme left. The far-left are the ultimate fascists right now in our society.
Right isn't Atwood the one denying that there's anything wrong with this movement?