Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

thegirlscout

VIP Member
Without Greer, Dvorkin, Butler and the many women who came before now in Feminist academia there wouldn’t be a discipline. It’s pretty sad if departments don’t teach anything at all about feminist theory as it evolved over time. Do I agree with everything Greer says? No. But a degree in women’s studies/gender studies that didn’t teach her work wouldn’t be worth the paper it’s printed on.
They would more than likely talk about the history of feminism but like @Pundertaker says due to the very nature of the course it is always evolving so what you would be learning about is women’s studies from a 2020 viewpoint. There may be courses about the history of feminism that may be more your thing? If you’re looking at doing a MA and not a MSt, the university of York does a degree called ‘women’s studies’, I’m sure other places have degrees with similar names.

melfish

VIP Member
Stuff like this is just🙈 ‘distinguished guests’ is this for real? Also ‘guys’ is pretty gender neutral to me I mean if I’m talking to a group of female friends I might say “hey guys” to address them without really thinking, it’s a bit like ‘dude’ these days.
View attachment 203330
I don't see why this is a big deal. Also the word "lady" should have been long since banished to the bowels of hell

On a different note, am I the only one who finds it appalling when bisexual men/other MSM trick women into relationships with them by concealing this part of their sexuality? I don’t mean cheating, I mean past experiences.

Then when the women find out, the women get accused of all kinds of terrible things, like homo- and bi-phobia, judgemental, narrow minded. They also get attacked into examining their “prejudices” and gaslit into contorting their sexuality to accept their partner, even though they never consented to being with a MSM.

The man who concealed his sexuality is portrayed fully as a victim.

To me it’s typical male entitlement to sex, men’s feelings coming before women’s needs, and women’s consent being seen as a problem and our boundaries stomped.

You don’t have to have sex with MSM to prove you are not phobic.

(MSM = Men who have Sex with Men).
Why is it my business who my partner has slept with in the past? Tell me, don't tell me. Either way I wouldn't care. It doesn't bother me in the slightest if an ex has slept with men 🤷‍♀️

There's dogma on both sides of the fence. It's like people have lost the ability to think fluidly. Or they're just scared to

Last edited:

melfish

VIP Member
It’s a big deal because you’re about to sleep with them too. Your sexual partner’s history is very much your business. (And if you know anything about sexual health, you’ll know that sleeping with bisexual men is very risky). It’s important to many women and just because you don’t mind, doesn’t mean you are “right” and everyone else should change their sexuality to match yours. It’s absolutely fine that you’re personally not bothered; your body, your choice. It’s not a choice if you’re not told though.

I would never consent to sleeping with a bisexual man. That is not dogma, that is my inalienable right to say no.
Thanks for the sexual health lecture :rolleyes:

Also, please point to the part where I suggested anyone else should change their sexuality to match mine. I don't even know what you are on about, but your aggressive tone blows

barmj

Chatty Member
Wow, she’s huge! I looked her up and read this so I think the picture is slightly misleading. Like, when I saw it, I thought it was a bio man being a total weirdo who claimed to be an 18 year old girl but that doesn’t seem to be the case. I think the only issue I have is her height, it gives her team an unfair advantage, right?

Munroe Bergdorf is a racist prick.
I don’t know much about her. Are you saying she’s racist because she said white privilege is real?

Shaza96

No, that does not. If a man says he's not a women then of course you'd believe him, and of course you aren't transphobic for it. But if a MTF says she's a women and you say you're a man, then you are transphobic. It's not hard.

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
I am watching ‘First Day’ on bbc iplayer, a kids drama about a transgender girl enrolling in high school. I am not sure what to expect but I figured I’d watch before my kids stumble across it.

Zenchick101

VIP Member
Well, it isn't just Trump. It's about the judges he appoints, and there are plenty of down-ticket GOP. I have some research ahead of me. Free speech is becoming the most important issue for me, mostly because I just assumed it was America's oxygen before and I wouldn't need to think about it.
what's that?

Pundertaker

Chatty Member
Really? the whole point of a WS course is 'that it questions what it is to be a woman'? I'd argue it's a bit more complex than that. Any good course should teach you to read widely, and engage with ideas even if they're not 'current' or as 'evolved' as your own.

Below, two course descriptions from courses mentioned in this thread:

Oxford University MSt

York MA

You studied WS? When you graduated, had you figured out 'what it is to be a woman'?
You're being very reductive and making a lot of assumptions here, so I'm just going to let my other posts stand.