Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Lemonelly

I've tried on various forums to convince people that the virus is now nowhere near as serious as the media's been making out and that your chances of catching it are remote and the chances of it being anything other than mild symptoms even remoter. Unfortunately it seems the message isn't getting through and there's still a substantial amount of people who think the minute they step out of their house they will catch coronavirus and die. I think this cartoon sums up many people's attitude now.

View attachment 210357
Can I ask what is your background/area of expertise that enables you to think it’s your role to “convince” people otherwise from their own research and understanding? My dad contracted Covid-19, he’s 62 with no underlying health conditions, he spent 10 weeks intubated in ICU during which time we received 3 end of life calls. We do not know if he will recover fully, but have been given an estimated time of 1 year for his recovery. It was a traumatic experience and a terrible time not to be together as a family, waiting out our own 14 day isolation period. I’m also in the shielding category, an NHS nurse and currently working from home. I don’t think for a second that I’ll step foot outside my home and die. I am concerned however that if I contracted Covid I may be left with a diminished quality of life, unable to walk the length of the high street etc.
Through our families contact with Consultants throughout my dads battle we have a lot of information about this virus which isn’t in the media and it is frightening. If you are telling people they should ignore the national effort in distancing measures and precautions then shame on you. You are putting people like me, who appear healthy but are significantly more vulnerable at huge risk. Blissful ignorance is the nicest term that springs to mind.

• Heart
Reactions: 46

Boddler

I'm getting married tomorrow! All guests have to wear masks, this was only told to us this Monday when updated government guidance came in. Reunited with my parents for the first time in 8 months tonight so there were lots of tears! Think my dad is quietly upset that he can't walk me down the aisle but the main thing is the ceremony can go ahead with our nearest and dearest. Got a pub meal afterwards which was touch and go this week after Boris' announcement last Friday but they've moved us to outside which given the weather forecast is 34° tomorrow is probably a good thing. Now just got to worry about sweat proofing my hair and make up 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 37

SarahGard83

VIP Member
Decided to have family over for a barbecue tomorrow. I'm not sure what the guidelines are or aren't anymore but we've stuck to the rules this whole time. They'll be 11 of us in total and we have a huge garden so not issue with spacing chairs out. I think it'll do us all some good and if my kids can go to school in September and mix with a year group of 300+ then I'm having my family in my garden. Thoroughly pissed off with this year!

• Heart
Reactions: 32

SarahGard83

VIP Member
Had my family over yesterday for a barbecue and drinks. Had an amazing time. Was so nice to have everyone together at the same time. Made me quite emotional. Managed to stay in the garden until about 10 then it got a bit cold so we carried the party on inside. Was only my sister and brother left at that point anyway. Laughed harder than I've laughed in months and suffering this morning but loved every minute of it.

• Heart
Reactions: 28

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I don’t know where to sit on this mask wearing debate. I have a mask because I rely on public transport to go out, ive been refused entry on buses until my mask is on but taxis... all the local taxis are plastered in ‘wear a mask it’s the law’ stickers, i was told very sternly by one that w/o a mask I couldn’t use the taxi — but I've had more taxi rides recently where none of the drivers are wearing masks and outright refuse to wear them, one of them even told me to take my mask off before I got in... 🤷🏻‍♀️ I wear mine as much as possible but find it really hard recently - I get really hot and woozy/lightheaded. 🙃
i fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking HATE the fucking mask,
Now,
a few weeks ago I came on here saying “stop being a twat and just wear the fucking mask”

I still stand by that but FUCK my virtue signalling 🤣😂
My personality swings towards “toddler tantrum” more than “woke bitch” so I’m reposting with my true feelings.

I FUCKING HATE THE FUCKING MASK.
I wear glasses,
they fog up no matter what I do, I’m not going back to contacts, fuck that.

I hate breathing in my own breath,
I don’t care how minty fresh it might be a fucking hate it.
I get anxious when I can’t breath and I’m fogged up to fuck because my glasses are not playing ball.

I touch my face more than I ever have,
I ADMIT I’M A RULE BREAKER
I sneakily pull it away from my face because I feel trapped - it makes me anxious,
I’m probably touching my face and grocery’s more than I ever did before, I whip it off as soon as I can and leave it until the last second to put it on.

I hate it 🤣😂 excuse my honesty I’m having a weak moment 🤣😂😂🤣

“I wear my mask for you, you wear your mask for me
Get fucked I probably don’t even like you, I hate that I have to wear this to “protect you” I’m selfish, I don’t give a fuck about you. I need a snack and a nap.
Warned everyone - toddler.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 27

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Do you ever walk into a room,
and you know there’s been an argument because you could cut the tension with a knife,
but you really only came in for a hobnob so you walk awkwardly to the cupboard, get your biscuit and leave mommy and daddy to fight...

• Haha
Reactions: 27

leoladyxo

VIP Member
Some of you might remember from yonks ago that I was worried about going into the city nearest to me to do my finance exam. I did finally G myself up enough to do it and I passed it on Friday!

I went to a garden party with friends yesterday. It was so nice to celebrate something and see them again after all of this time. 💜

• Heart
Reactions: 25

Gembo

VIP Member
So earlier I said I’m trying to carve out positives where I can. Well today I went out. To a shop. And spoke to an actual 3D person. I felt like I didn’t stop talking & he looked a bit tired when I left!
Had to wear a mask. Putting it on when I got out the car I did get the apocalyptic feels. But also I have an enormous spot on my chin so it worked to my advantage. I needed the loo, there was a mirror directly opposite the cubicle and my very first thought on seeing my reflection was ’I look good in a mask’ I hate my face so I’m going to be keeping my mask long after the virus has gone and you’ve all burnt yours!
And then driving home we decided that we didn’t want our first trip out in ages to be over so soon so we went to our local family run pub for tea and it was lovely! Almost felt a bit normal. I think I need to try and force myself out a bit because I was often pretty anxious about going out anyway but lockdown has made it much worse. I feel a bit better this evening than I have all week. Honestly can’t get over how amazing I look in my mask 😄

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 25

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I really, really, REALLY wish the media would stop with the fucking scaremongering hysteria.

They’re getting their clicks, congratulations!!!
but they’re working people up into a fucking state daily.
this continuous panic since early March will have more people in their doctors office or grave than the covid number 19 will 😐

I’M NOT saying don’t read and listen to what’s out there 🤦‍♀️
but please, we all need to remember we are being fed the narrative the want to feed us,
And that will always be the narrative that gets the most clicks.

I’m struggling with the news right now, I can’t be the only one?
mainstream media seem to have become as bad as the daily mail for click bait sensationalised headlines

• Heart
Reactions: 24

Platypusfattypus

VIP Member
It's only been a few months and people are writing everything off. It will be like every pandemic, after a while the threat will reduce and disappear. We won't always have to socially distance, wear masks etc. Life carries on but in the meantime we have to be kind to each other. Everyone has their own concerns. I get that some are worried about their jobs their homes, etc but I also feel for those who have been told to shield and that their lives are in danger but are now being told just to get on with it. It's a crap situation but it's a temporary one.

• Heart
Reactions: 23

Allthevest20

VIP Member
So testing increases and shock so do cases. 1009. Keeping quiet on the death toll of 77 though now aren't they. Surely showing it's not as deadly as it was?

Plus over 5k deaths to be wiped due to reporting. And saying anyone who dies within 28 days of a positive test is going down as covid? Piss off now. I've had enough of this piss.

The results of a recession will be worse than anything covid has done (MH/Suicides increasing etc). Unfortunately health and wealth go hand in hand. Govt aren't bailing anyone out anymore so need to give a plan.

Open beauty?! An industry worth billions to the tax pot and safer than pubs/restaurants etc.

I wasn't scared at the start. I'm not scared now and I won't be scared in the future. If I die I die it's life. I am following rules even though masks can F off ASAP because I'm fed up of panic attacks now but I just want answers and a proper road map now. Rage.

• Heart
Reactions: 22

hnoz

VIP Member
But that's the thing life will never be " normal " as we knew it ,unless this thing is gone . While it's still around vulnerable people ( that covers a massive amount ) will still need to be protected and that can only happen through a change in people's behaviour 🤷‍♀️

But the thing with Covid is you don't know if you're vulnerable until you have it ...There's vaccines for the other illnesses you mentioned weather people want them or not it's up to them...nuts can be avoided ,as can medication ..that's the difference,,
I disagree, we will absolutely go back to "normal" without covid being gone. And we do know who is more vulnerable to covid, sure the odd person doesn't know they have an underlying condition or will have a bad reaction but by and large it follows a pattern and we do know the vunerable categories. The risk is not the same for everyone and to imply it is comes down to scaremongering imo. As a healthy slim and active 30 year old my chances of complications from covid are not the same as a 75 year old who is obese or has a heart condition for example.

We are at a point when we just need to lump covid in with the rest of the viruses we deal with on a daily basis.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 21

shirleymaclaine1

Can I ask what is your background/area of expertise that enables you to think it’s your role to “convince” people otherwise from their own research and understanding? My dad contracted Covid-19, he’s 62 with no underlying health conditions, he spent 10 weeks intubated in ICU during which time we received 3 end of life calls. We do not know if he will recover fully, but have been given an estimated time of 1 year for his recovery. It was a traumatic experience and a terrible time not to be together as a family, waiting out our own 14 day isolation period. I’m also in the shielding category, an NHS nurse and currently working from home. I don’t think for a second that I’ll step foot outside my home and die. I am concerned however that if I contracted Covid I may be left with a diminished quality of life, unable to walk the length of the high street etc.
Through our families contact with Consultants throughout my dads battle we have a lot of information about this virus which isn’t in the media and it is frightening. If you are telling people they should ignore the national effort in distancing measures and precautions then shame on you. You are putting people like me, who appear healthy but are significantly more vulnerable at huge risk. Blissful ignorance is the nicest term that springs to mind.
👆🏻 This x 10000000000.....very well said!! 👏🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 20

Annie65

VIP Member
I’m really fed up today. So fed up with this Shit show of a life. I have been sat at home since April, I lost my job and I’ve gained nearly 2 stone. The last thing I need as I’ve always struggled with my weight and it really affects my moods.
I’m worried I won’t find a job because it never seems to get any better out there.
2020 was suppose to be my best year ever. I had three concerts booked this year that now all got postponed and I was suppose to visit my family who I’ve not seen for the past 3 years.
fuck you 2020, fuck you. I can’t even see 2021 be any better and I’m fed up.
Sorry for the rant. I know a lot of people have it so so much worse but I can’t today.
I’m out 😑

• Sad
  • Heart

Bobbleowl90

VIP Member
That’s a massive amount of testing so it’s no surprise infections are on the rise. Still dumbfounded as to why people think this is scary considering deaths are getting lower. It’s great news IMO.

• Heart

prinnygrace

VIP Member
I really wish we were still having briefings, at least once a week. Just felt so much more in the loop of what’s going on and what rules are what. I hate having to try and look and find out for myself and find what media sources are right and wrong. The government are nowhere to be seen anymore.

Reactions: 19

50sGirl

VIP Member
Am I the only one struggling to reintegrate back into society? Nobody around me is taking it seriously. We went to a park and literally nobody cared so we won’t be going to that particular park again. I know they’re kids but it was bad there. My friend has invited me and another friend to her home (not the garden as work is being done there) and I’m just not comfortable with that (not even sure if that’s allowed) I’ve voiced my concerns and she’s respectful of them. I’ve been to a cafe and sat outside. They serve you outside and I felt ok doing that. And we’ve been to local woodlands and quiet parks etc. I’m the first one to say we have to live with this virus and do our best but I’m struggling with that. I have a four month old so that plays a part in it. I’m so glad I’m on maternity leave and not at my teaching job yet as I think that’ll leave me terrified too. As hard as lockdown was with the children at home I think I’ve enjoyed keeping us cocooned and now it’s starting to hit me more.
Me!
I‘ve not changed my routine much since lockdown was lifted.
I still get my grocery shopping delivered.
I still only go out to a shop/pharmacy once a month to collect prescriptions.
I still drop off my mother in laws shopping on her doorstep.
The only thing I’ve changed is that, instead of dropping off my dad‘s shopping and leave, I will now spend about 30 minutes with him, twice a week. I only started that last week and we are still on opposite sides of the room, at least 2m apart even though I know I could get closer.
I have no interest in going out anymore. Tbh I don’t have much interest in anything these days.

• Sad

Barbie2020

VIP Member
So many people are speaking sense on here today! We can’t stop living because of this virus and we will get back to normal life! How can we possibly live like this forever? There literally would be no jobs left. Just because some of us are trying to get back to normal doesn’t mean we don’t wear masks or wash our hands. If you are vulnerable then don’t go out it if scares you that much and if you are willing to stay inside until a vaccine that’s totally your choice. On the other end of it we’ve got people losing jobs and not being able to afford food to feed their families and worrying about keeping a roof over their head. Should we be ok with all the people who are in this situation? Should we be fine with the mental health crisis we are facing? Sick of people making us try to feel bad about wanting to get back to how life used to be.

• Heart

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
You are not the only one.

I really want to stay informed and when I look at the actual numbers I feel positive.

But now even reading the BBC who I would normally trust, I find the narrative switches so much at the moment in the media that it really effects my mental health.

I'm trying just to focus on the numbers at the moment in an effort to stau informed but sane.
THIS IS ME!!!! I used to read everything I could find, I watched every press briefing
(I’m not exaggerating I’d watch the U.K. one, the ROI one, the New York one and Trump)
I became obsessed with knowing exactly what was going on where,
I noticed as time went on the media started to get more and more extreme, it’s a constant stream of negativity and “what ifs”

Sure sky news were praying for a second wave before the lockdown had even been lifted! 🤦‍♀️
Schools are only just back and we’re being told the kids are spreading the virus like wildfire and we’re all screwed,
I see very few facts anymore and a lot of speculation and panic,
And what facts we ARE being fed are twisted to fit the “we’re all doomed” narrative.

Im not the type to read into conspiracy theories or believe users on twitter when they argue the headlines,
but having said that, some of the arguments against what were being told right now, about how bad the virus is (at the moment) hold some weight.

my point is, we all need to take a breath and calm the fuck down 🤣😂

• Heart

SarahGard83

VIP Member
Went to the beach today with friends. Arrived just after lunch and found a quiet spot. Although it was busy people were social distancing well and nobody was right on top of us. Kids played for hours. Only just got home. Found a great fish and chip restaurant with seating and the eat out to help out offer so cost us just under £30 for 7 of us. Today has felt the most normal since lockdown and the kids could just be kids. Was nice to forget about covid for a while.