Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
Yeah I've run out of sympathy for the teachers now
Nurses, shop workers etc have been front facing this whole time.

There are some kids that really need to go back to school, either due to poverty, abuse, special needs or mental health. As ling as schools are doing what they can teachers should go back.

My husbands worked with over 600 people this whole time, no one had had it on their site and they have been as careful as they can and no they don’t wear masks!

You'd think the pubs would be the first to be closed what's the point of the lockdowns if people can just gather there:rolleyes:
Economy, that’s the only reason!

• Heart
Reactions: 18

JLXRD

VIP Member
Depression now affects 1 in 5 compared to this time last year when it was 1 in 10 😔 cases have doubled. The lasting effects of this are going to be terrible.

• Sad

BasilRathbon

I've tried on various forums to convince people that the virus is now nowhere near as serious as the media's been making out and that your chances of catching it are remote and the chances of it being anything other than mild symptoms even remoter. Unfortunately it seems the message isn't getting through and there's still a substantial amount of people who think the minute they step out of their house they will catch coronavirus and die. I think this cartoon sums up many people's attitude now.

1597318527300.png

• Haha
  • Angry

hnoz

VIP Member
What a disgusting remark ! keeping the vulnerable safe has to be a priority..
What exactly was a disgusting remark? I really don't think I have said anything that harsh. If people feel too vulnerable to integrate back into society then they should by all means continue to shield.
How can millions of families losing their income not be a concern for you?

Why is it disgusting to question why I have to lose my income? Is me being able to feed my family and keep a roof over my head not a priority?

• Heart
  • Angry

Hayles1990

If this is what the world has come to now then I’m done, I woke up this morning with a horrific migraine and throwing up. I couldn’t even lift my head off of the pillow, my partner couldn’t stay off work because his boss is on holiday. So my grandmother, (only late 60s herself and perfectly healthy) came and picked up my 2 toddlers so I could rest until my other half gets home. As my grandmother was leaving my neighbour but one stopped her and said “You should NOT be taking those children into your house...social distancing, this is why it’s spreading people are going back to normal..selfish selfish” she was promptly put in her place by my ever lairy Nan, but is this what’s happening now? Everyone is allowed to berate and judge everyone else without even knowing the circumstances??

• Sad
  • Heart

hnoz

VIP Member
How can you go back to normal when there's thousands of " Vulnerable " people out there also ? or do they stay in hibernation for the rest of their natural life if no treatment or vaccine is found .You'd be completely happy to go an hug granny like you did before ? otherwise you'll be living in the " new normal " just like we are now,,
The people who are vulnerable right now from coronavirus are also vulnerable from the common cold. What do we do in normal life to protect them from that?
The reality is there are significantly more people who are not extremely vulnerable who need to get back to living their life.

Anyone who has an underlying health condition serious enough to be adversely affected, knows they have it, trust me on that one.

And yes we do know who the vulnerable are, I’m in the shielded category ie most likely to experience severe disease and death, and currently being forced back into the workplace despite being able to successfully work from home. So lack of protection for this group who are employed, and therefore unable to make their own choices is a huge issue.

If we treat Covid-19 like all other viruses then that will be our downfall. I do hope that regardless of your comments you are following social distancing and hand washing, if not for your sake than for the sake of others who are more vulnerable than you.
Well the flip side is you are being forced back to work but as a healthy adult I am at risk of redundancy as my company are having to get rid of 500 roles (over 40% of the work force) due to enforced social distancing. This is only 2 months after a first round of almost 200 redundancies.
So while you might be more at risk to covid right now I am at risk of not being able to feed myself, pay my bills or my mortgage. People who are shielding are not the only ones in a shit situation so the snarky "I hope you are washing your hands" is really not appreciated if I'm being honest.

Sometimes people seem to think they are the only ones sacrificing, when up and down the country hundreds of thousands of people (moving into the millions in the coming weeks) have sacrificed their livelihoods to keep vulnerable people safe by lockdown.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Angry

nbt

VIP Member
Just had my first case of mistaken identity whilst wearing a mask. Turns out the top half of my face looks like someone else another woman knows called Shelley. I am not Shelley. She was adamant 😂

• Haha

Gembo

VIP Member
I really do think we’ll return closely to the old normal one day. I think some things will always stay with us like increased hygiene (not a bad thing) and more people able to work from home. I just refuse to believe we will always have to social distance & go into lockdowns. Pandemics have happened before more than once and long ago and we weren’t living with social distancing from them. I do think that it might be more common to see people wearing masks during flu season or on public transport but I think that will be out of choice, I don’t believe they will be mandatory. I just hope it doesn’t take too long, most other pandemics have been 12-24 months so I am desperately praying that by next year this is not resulting in so many deaths and that we don’t have to live with this fear.

Reactions: 17

Tigercat55

Chatty Member
Just to put in a teacher’s point of view here: I can’t wait to go back! I miss my job so much and can’t wait to be in a classroom again!
On another note, anyone know whether masks need to be worn in shops etc in Wales?

• Heart

Tublet83

VIP Member
Someone I work with has just come back from Dubai on holiday I was really jealous of her eyebrows she’s had done there 😂🙈

Is it too much to go on holiday abroad purely to get my eyebrows waxed? 😂

• Haha

BasilRathbon

Can I ask what is your background/area of expertise that enables you to think it’s your role to “convince” people otherwise from their own research and understanding? My dad contracted Covid-19, he’s 62 with no underlying health conditions, he spent 10 weeks intubated in ICU during which time we received 3 end of life calls. We do not know if he will recover fully, but have been given an estimated time of 1 year for his recovery. It was a traumatic experience and a terrible time not to be together as a family, waiting out our own 14 day isolation period. I’m also in the shielding category, an NHS nurse and currently working from home. I don’t think for a second that I’ll step foot outside my home and die. I am concerned however that if I contracted Covid I may be left with a diminished quality of life, unable to walk the length of the high street etc.
Through our families contact with Consultants throughout my dads battle we have a lot of information about this virus which isn’t in the media and it is frightening. If you are telling people they should ignore the national effort in distancing measures and precautions then shame on you. You are putting people like me, who appear healthy but are significantly more vulnerable at huge risk. Blissful ignorance is the nicest term that springs to mind.
My background is simply that I look beyond the tabloid headlines and read up on scientific studies from more reliable and trustworthy sources, which has led me to the conclusion that coronavirus is now no more serious than any other form of flu for the vast majority of those who catch it. Yes, it's sad what happened to your Dad but his experience sounds very unusual and the vast majority of people who catch the virus will have such mild symptoms that they probably won't even know they've had it.

Within the past day or so we've discovered that the coronavirus death toll has been overestimated by over 5,000 people and the true number of deaths occuring now is barely into double figures per day. Yes, it might have been understandable to worry about catching the virus back in April when deaths were thought to be over 1,000 a day but now, when you're 5 times more likely to die of flu than coronavirus, why are people still panicking?

• Angry
  • Wow

xoxo GG

VIP Member
There’s one patient in the entire hospital that I work in. One. No increase in admissions, barely anybody being admitted even as a query when initially it seemed everybody being admitted was query covid. Death figures are a massive improvement going by the ONS figures. Less people needing critical care. It’s like the tide is shifting and the virus is changing. Infections aren’t everything, with the slight increase initially by now we should be seeing admission increases, 111/999 pathway increases etc.

• Heart
  • Wow

Shestheman22

On another note, here are some words/phrases that I’m sick of hearing and I wish they would quietly disappear back into obscurity 😂:

Masked up
Isolation
Shielding
Furlough
New normal 🤢🤢🤢
Social distancing
WFH
Pandemic
Quarantine
Lockdown
The Rona
Flatten the curve
Herd immunity
Super spreader

Any more? 😂

• Haha
  • Heart

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
watching sky news, and their reports about waiting lists for non covid treatment, and the fact only 1/3 of those who need treatment received it this year,

Is anyone pissed at how this has impacted so many other parts of society. The economy, education, the health of those who were put on the back burner to prioritise covid patients.

if, and I’m saying if 😬 the virus really isn’t as bad as it’s been made out.

Im not saying it’s fake or we shouldn’t be concerned but, was it necessary to fuck up so many other aspects of society, and will many more die because priority was given to covid over everything else.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 16

JLXRD

VIP Member
Now BBC saying cases are leveling off in their latest article.

Honestly do feel like the media are just trying to cause mass uncertainty.

Bobbleowl90

VIP Member
Increase in infections and decrease in deaths is really positive - wish the media would stop putting a spin on it to be a negative thing. Just makes people worried and panic about a SeCoNd WaVe.

• Heart

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
It’s good to see social media is doing what it does best.....

freaking the fuck out and calling for a national lockdown 2.0

no. Fuck off 🤣

• Haha
  • Wow