Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Mrs McCarthy

Chatty Member
Has anyone on here caught Covid? Not know someone but actually caught it themselves?

I read somewhere (news article but can’t remember what outlet) that they estimate 10% of the population in the UK has had Covid. I think this was based on the random population testing for antibodies they are now doing. I know quite a few more than 10 people.. but don’t know anyone who has had it, or have been made aware they have at a later date. There must be a lot more asymptomatic cases than estimated in the earlier days is what I’m thinking this might be down to 🤷🏼‍♀️.

I personally am very cautious about who I see where I go and follow all the guidelines (plus a lot of my own personal ones!) So my post is in no way attempting to downplay the potential severity of the virus. I appreciate it could read that way so thought I would clarify!
We know a lot more people over 65 then people of our age group (we are in our 20s). The only one person we know was a sister of a friend, and she died from it. She was in her 80s, in a wheelchair, had diabetes, arthritis, heart issues, various other health issues.
We are in Devon, and we got into the news back in February when there was an outbreak in a grammar school after half-term. Overall here we had about 1200 cases and about 200 deaths with a population of 1.1 million.

Jxtina

Chatty Member
My kids who are both under 5 have a snotty nose, cough maybe two or three times a day and are all croaky. I’ve got a cold now too - sore throat, sneezing. The weather was boiling this week, had air con on constantly at work, now the temperatures dropped. We’ve got a summer cold!

Paranoid, media warped me - we’ve all got Covid 19!!
Same here! My daughter got a cold from nursery, passed it to me, then got another just as she got over the first and now my husband's caught it. Luckily no temperature but we've been even more paranoid and checking regularly just in case.

Bobbleowl90

VIP Member
Bit of a first world problem but has anybody returned any items of clothing back to store recently?

I got a dress from Zara and obviously couldn’t try it on. Looked everywhere for my receipt with no success and it doesn’t bloody fit 🤬

monga

VIP Member
Hmm maybe but very convenient for the negative narrative for people to say oh well the reason why less people are being hospitalized is because it's just all young people catching it and conveniently not infecting anyone older or at risk.

Is there any actual data on the age range of those testing positive to back up that it's only young people (not sure what counts as young, under 30? Under 40?) Or is this just speculation?
They've said a lot of under 30's but I think it's roughly 20-50 according to the news..

monga

VIP Member
But you literally said about people dying at home with it?

But if that’s what you mean yes that may be the case. But honestly if they were that ill with it, they’d be going to hospital. The vast majority of people won’t just sit it out at home with severe symptoms, if people were going to hospital at the peak undiagnosed but they felt the need to seek medical assistance, people are most likely more inclined to visit hospitals now knowing the numbers have dropped.

Everybody is guessing, but it’s the one positive we’ve currently got.
That's why I said time will tell ,but there was a vast number of people that died at home from covid according to ONS I was just using that as an example as to why hospital admissions would be down if people weren't seeking treatment ..

Mrs McCarthy

Chatty Member
Sobering news today. I don't believe anyone who days we will be back in Lockdown in a month, off the cards imo.

But it’s not like we didn’t see it coming though? I don’t understand how we have fallen done more than Europe though, our economy was better than Spanish economy and yet our drop is just as bad as theirs? And how did Germany manage to not drop so badly?
guess it’s all the money that the government wasted on Nightingale hospitals and not safe PPE? Also could be because Germany had a 60% furlough rather than 80% maybe?

Ohflogoff

VIP Member
The paed we saw said that kids are less susceptible to the virus as the nodules in their lungs aren’t developed. Not sure how true this is.

JLXRD

VIP Member
They've said a lot of under 30's but I think it's roughly 20-50 according to the news..
Can you link please? Surely that covers most of the population in that age range which would explain why the majority of people are in that group...

Doyoureally?

I’m not sure if this counts as not me, but immediate family. My dad (-65, no health conditions) spent 10 weeks in ICU due to Covid.
I really hope he is doing well now.

I am 99% sure myself and my husband had it in March/April but since we are not NHS it's hard to get an antibody test (they weren't testing for Covid at the time like they are now, NHS 111 said if you can cope at home hang up).

High fever, lost any sense of smell or taste for a couple of weeks. This was about a week, week and a half after a definite exposure to the virus.
If you don’t mind me asking, do you both feel fully recovered now?