Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #45

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This might be a little off topic but looking for some reassurance. I have a COVID test in a couple of hours and I'm a bit worried. I saw tweets early COVID days that swabs were painful. I assume not but has anyone recently been swabbed? What was it like?
I don’t think they’re painful, just uncomfortable. I expected it to be worse when they swabbed my nose but for me the worst bit was when they swabbed my throat. They do left, middle, right and the gagging reminded me of being pregnant because I had hyperemesis 😳 a few minutes after it’s done you’ll wonder why you ever worried about it.

Reactions: 1
I've tried on various forums to convince people that the virus is now nowhere near as serious as the media's been making out and that your chances of catching it are remote and the chances of it being anything other than mild symptoms even remoter. Unfortunately it seems the message isn't getting through and there's still a substantial amount of people who think the minute they step out of their house they will catch coronavirus and die. I think this cartoon sums up many people's attitude now.

1597318527300.png

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 18
I've tried on various forums to convince people that the virus is now nowhere near as serious as the media's been making out and that your chances of catching it are remote and the chances of it being anything other than mild symptoms even remoter. Unfortunately it seems the message isn't getting through and there's still a substantial amount of people who think the minute they step out of their house they will catch coronavirus and die. I think this cartoon sums up many people's attitude now.

View attachment 210357
Can I ask what is your background/area of expertise that enables you to think it’s your role to “convince” people otherwise from their own research and understanding? My dad contracted Covid-19, he’s 62 with no underlying health conditions, he spent 10 weeks intubated in ICU during which time we received 3 end of life calls. We do not know if he will recover fully, but have been given an estimated time of 1 year for his recovery. It was a traumatic experience and a terrible time not to be together as a family, waiting out our own 14 day isolation period. I’m also in the shielding category, an NHS nurse and currently working from home. I don’t think for a second that I’ll step foot outside my home and die. I am concerned however that if I contracted Covid I may be left with a diminished quality of life, unable to walk the length of the high street etc.
Through our families contact with Consultants throughout my dads battle we have a lot of information about this virus which isn’t in the media and it is frightening. If you are telling people they should ignore the national effort in distancing measures and precautions then shame on you. You are putting people like me, who appear healthy but are significantly more vulnerable at huge risk. Blissful ignorance is the nicest term that springs to mind.

• Heart
Reactions: 46
Can I ask what is your background/area of expertise that enables you to think it’s your role to “convince” people otherwise from their own research and understanding? My dad contracted Covid-19, he’s 62 with no underlying health conditions, he spent 10 weeks intubated in ICU during which time we received 3 end of life calls. We do not know if he will recover fully, but have been given an estimated time of 1 year for his recovery. It was a traumatic experience and a terrible time not to be together as a family, waiting out our own 14 day isolation period. I’m also in the shielding category, an NHS nurse and currently working from home. I don’t think for a second that I’ll step foot outside my home and die. I am concerned however that if I contracted Covid I may be left with a diminished quality of life, unable to walk the length of the high street etc.
Through our families contact with Consultants throughout my dads battle we have a lot of information about this virus which isn’t in the media and it is frightening. If you are telling people they should ignore the national effort in distancing measures and precautions then shame on you. You are putting people like me, who appear healthy but are significantly more vulnerable at huge risk. Blissful ignorance is the nicest term that springs to mind.
👆🏻 This x 10000000000.....very well said!! 👏🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 20
so sorry to hear about your dad's ordeal. what type of info did the consultants tell you that isn't in the media, if you don't mind me asking?

Reactions: 6
watching sky news, and their reports about waiting lists for non covid treatment, and the fact only 1/3 of those who need treatment received it this year,

Is anyone pissed at how this has impacted so many other parts of society. The economy, education, the health of those who were put on the back burner to prioritise covid patients.

if, and I’m saying if 😬 the virus really isn’t as bad as it’s been made out.

Im not saying it’s fake or we shouldn’t be concerned but, was it necessary to duck up so many other aspects of society, and will many more die because priority was given to covid over everything else.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
👆🏻 This x 10000000000.....very well said!! 👏🏻
Absolutely agree! It’s not your job to convince me or anybody else. And whilst I don’t disagree with some of what you say I cannot help but feel nervous taking my four month old out and about. I don’t think that I’m going to catch it as soon as I step out of the door. But I’m having a hard time being in busy places. I think that’s understandable. Ultimately as time goes on it may show to not have been as scary as it was initially made out. That doesn’t mean that I might not be the anomaly of an otherwise healthy person who just happens not to cope with it well. Live your life yes, be complacent no.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
My background is simply that I look beyond the tabloid headlines and read up on scientific studies from more reliable and trustworthy sources, which has led me to the conclusion that coronavirus is now no more serious than any other form of flu for the vast majority of those who catch it. Yes, it's sad what happened to your Dad but his experience sounds very unusual and the vast majority of people who catch the virus will have such mild symptoms that they probably won't even know they've had it.

Within the past day or so we've discovered that the coronavirus death toll has been overestimated by over 5,000 people and the true number of deaths occuring now is barely into double figures per day. Yes, it might have been understandable to worry about catching the virus back in April when deaths were thought to be over 1,000 a day but now, when you're 5 times more likely to die of flu than coronavirus, why are people still panicking?

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
If this is what the world has come to now then I’m done, I woke up this morning with a horrific migraine and throwing up. I couldn’t even lift my head off of the pillow, my partner couldn’t stay off work because his boss is on holiday. So my grandmother, (only late 60s herself and perfectly healthy) came and picked up my 2 toddlers so I could rest until my other half gets home. As my grandmother was leaving my neighbour but one stopped her and said “You should NOT be taking those children into your house...social distancing, this is why it’s spreading people are going back to normal..selfish selfish” she was promptly put in her place by my ever lairy Nan, but is this what’s happening now? Everyone is allowed to berate and judge everyone else without even knowing the circumstances??

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I’ve been so lucky (touch wood) to have no one close to me have corona virus. I do believe my partner could have had it at the beginning of the year but not 100%. I am not overly concerned about the virus but being as sensible as possible and trying to make the most out of life and not hide away. We did decide to cancel our holiday in September just because we didn’t feel it was sensible to fly to another country in the current situation. However I am more concerned about everything else that it is now affecting. The economy and how much of a mess a lot of us are going to be in without jobs. Mental health is at an all time high. (I’ve always suffered with various issues but has got worse due to lockdown) It upsets me every time I hear someone has ended their life due to struggling with this year 😞 People with cancer and other illnesses have been left behind which is just awful! The worst thing for me is I heard about a lady who had to give birth to her stillborn baby at 26weeks without her partner there because of the virus which is just absolutely disgusting and makes me so upset that there is women going through that! At what point do all these people become just as important? I understand how scary the virus is but I think the aftermath of it is going to be much worse!

• Sad
Reactions: 16
I’ve received the letter from Imperial College London inviting me to take a test. It’ll be sent to me at home to do myself - nose and throat swab. Can anyone that’s done this share their experiences please?

Reactions: 1
My background is simply that I look beyond the tabloid headlines and read up on scientific studies from more reliable and trustworthy sources, which has led me to the conclusion that coronavirus is now no more serious than any other form of flu for the vast majority of those who catch it. Yes, it's sad what happened to your Dad but his experience sounds very unusual and the vast majority of people who catch the virus will have such mild symptoms that they probably won't even know they've had it.

Within the past day or so we've discovered that the coronavirus death toll has been overestimated by over 5,000 people and the true number of deaths occuring now is barely into double figures per day. Yes, it might have been understandable to worry about catching the virus back in April when deaths were thought to be over 1,000 a day but now, when you're 5 times more likely to die of flu than coronavirus, why are people still panicking?
Ah, so it’s an opinion that is no more educated than anyone else’s...with the exception of microbiologists, virologists, and the vast swathes of the population, myself included with clinical training 😂

Yes 5,000 was knocked off the total. So anyone in a coma due to Covid for more than 28 days doesn’t count. My dads experience was unusual, he was one out of two who survived in our large local ICU.

I generally think it’s the right of everyone to live their life as they see fit. However, during a global pandemic if you are taking excessive risks because you wrongly consider it the flu and contract and pass on the virus to more vulnerable people then you are selfish beyond belief.

We are approaching winter, I sincerely hope you never have to experience what my family has.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I know it's all very serious etc but whenever anyone says we are approaching winter or whatever in an ominous way I can't help but think of the whole game of thrones 'winter is coming' thing 😂😅

Maybe Boris and co should use this as their new tagline? STAY ALERT, WINTER IS COMING.

Maybe throw in some white walkers for dramatic effect?

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Attempting to moderate, or telling people what to post is against the rules, please report, keep scrolling or ignore a user - Please read our rules and why they're important

I know this is a forum where everyone is entitled to an opinion but your opinion is not very helpful and personally I think you should head over the conspiracies thread instead!

YOU are lucky you don’t feel scared, YOU are lucky you don’t know anyone who has been affected by COVID and especially lucky to not know anyone who has been affected badly. Just because it hasn’t affected you doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be taken seriously by anyone else.

I sincerely hope that despite you assuming everyone is overreacting that you still follow social distancing and wear a mask etc so that your opinion doesn’t affect anyone else.

I know it's all very serious etc but whenever anyone says we are approaching winter or whatever in an ominous way I can't help but think of the whole game of thrones 'winter is coming' thing 😂😅

Maybe Boris and co should use this as their new tagline? STAY ALERT, WINTER IS COMING.

Maybe throw in some white walkers for dramatic effect?
Me too a little! I wish I didn’t keep thinking it 😂 But as a nurse and given my families experience it fills me with dread!

Seeing the lighter side and finding humour 👍🏼

Spreading misinformation and seeing it as your role to “convince” others of incorrect info 👎

Good lord. My daughters back at school in a few weeks. 4 of her friends have come to play. My heart is so full they are playing lovely (despite waking the baby up three times from her nap) but is it too early for wine 😆

Reactions: 9
How you know covid-19 is in your area;

sore throat,

A cough,

Your outpatient appointment has been cancelled,

John down the road has been made unemployed,

That ap that doesn’t work tells you.....

your neighbours have turned into judgemental ass wipes and you need to go onto social media armed 😐

I’ve received the letter from Imperial College London inviting me to take a test. It’ll be sent to me at home to do myself - nose and throat swab. Can anyone that’s done this share their experiences please?
I've done this. You first book a courier online and then do the test on the day the courier s coming. They also send you a link to a video with shows you how to do the test. It's definitely worth watching as it runs through everything step by step. The throat swab made me gag a lot but the nose swab was ok. My test was collected on a Tuesday and I got a negative result on Saturday.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.