Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #45

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They seem to be finding a lot of longterm implications from it as it's going on ,maybe they're right to be worried ,I'm sure there's a lot more they know about it that's not in the public domain and they won't share incase it causes hysteria. I can't bring myself to think it's just suddenly disappearing with no aftereffects ..if somethings too good to be true ,then it usually is ..I don't really worry about tbh I can't change it so there's no point .I just live along side it as best I can until the day they can find a treatment or vaccine

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
All illnesses have implications, whether short term or long term. You can go blind after having measles and yet it doesn’t stop people from not vaccinating their kids from measles. Flu causes quite lot of complications as well, and surprise, is more dangerous for older people/obese people/people with health conditions, just like pretty much anything else.
This is a new virus, we are going to learn more about it. And it is good, because it means that we can shield certain categories of people and let everyone else carry on.

Reactions: 8
They seem to be finding a lot of longterm implications from it as it's going on ,maybe they're right to be worried ,I'm sure there's a lot more they know about it that's not in the public domain and they won't share incase it causes hysteria. I can't bring myself to think it's just suddenly disappearing with no aftereffects ..if somethings too good to be true ,then it usually is ..I don't really worry about tbh I can't change it so there's no point .I just live along side it as best I can until the day they can find a treatment or vaccine
Your absolutely right re the long term implications. We have been told my dad may never make a full recovery and the post Covid implications for both heart and lungs complication, risk of strokes and clots etc are high. That’s out with ongoing difficulties with mobility.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
All illnesses have implications, whether short term or long term.
Yes!! My best friend had glandular fever in our early 20s and had viral fatigue and was unable to work full time for YEARS. She lost so many years. It was horrible and unlucky but it is just one of those things with viral illnesses.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
Yes!! My best friend had glandular fever in our early 20s and had viral fatigue and was unable to work full time for YEARS. She lost so many years. It was horrible and unlucky but it is just one of those things with viral illnesses.
I mean, I am allergic to penicillin and it‘S really bad. There are people who can eat peanuts and there are people who can die if they eat peanuts. We all have different reactions to things. It’s normal.
Viruses are dangerous, because generally they are difficult to treat. So a new virus is going to be dangerous and of course we wouldn’t know what the complications are. People die from chicken pox, and that’s a children’s illness in this country.

Reactions: 4
Your absolutely right re the long term implications. We have been told my dad may never make a full recovery and the post Covid implications for both heart and lungs complication, risk of strokes and clots etc are high. That’s out with ongoing difficulties with mobility.
Sorry to hear that ,there are cases here the same only involving people in their 30's one guy was in a coma for 2 months another's been left with lung damage and severe muscle wastage, it is a terrible illness no matter how people want to look at it and the longterm effects both for the patients ,their families and the health service will be immense ..

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Sorry to hear that ,there are cases here the same only involving people in their 30's one guy was in a coma for 2 months another's been left with lung damage and severe muscle wastage, it is a terrible illness no matter how people want to look at it and the longterm effects both for the patients ,their families and the health service will be immense ..
It has been incredibly traumatic for families who have been seriously affected. Not being able to be together at a difficult time, the isolation period waiting to see if other loved ones followed suit, having end of life discussions via telephone. It isn’t something I would wish on anyone.

• Sad
Yeah I am not downplaying the seriousness of this, but I do think people need to be realistic in terms of restrictions/lockdowns etc. If and when infections go down, and as the current death rates and hospital admissions continue to reduce we shouldnt let the threat stop us from getting back to normal.

The loss of jobs and the depression statistics are incredibly worrying.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
The long term effects of this terrify me. People’s health if they’ve had covid, those who’ve not been able to get treatment for other conditions, people who have found their mental health suffering, people who have that still to come, job losses...it goes on. Back when we went into lockdown I thought life would be normal by the end of the year or at least very close to it. I can absolutely see now that even if it went away tomorrow the consequences will be felt for years. I can’t think anyone hasn’t been effected some way or another now. Difficult times to be living in and something I hope we never see to this scale again.

Reactions: 13
I mean, I am allergic to penicillin and it‘S really bad. There are people who can eat peanuts and there are people who can die if they eat peanuts. We all have different reactions to things. It’s normal.
Viruses are dangerous, because generally they are difficult to treat. So a new virus is going to be dangerous and of course we wouldn’t know what the complications are. People die from chicken pox, and that’s a children’s illness in this country.
I'm allergic to penicillin too but there's lots of other antibiotics besides that ,there is a chicken pox vaccine ,that's the difference with Covid it's still a learning curve so I'm sure they're just treading carefully ...

I'm allergic to penicillin too but there's lots of other antibiotics besides that ,there is a chicken pox vaccine ,that's the difference with Covid it's still a learning curve so I'm sure they're just treading carefully ...
I was just trying to make a point that the most mundane and safe children’s illness like chicken pox can kill people. That antibiotics that are meant to help can be detrimental. So there is no surprise that a new virus can lead to a lot of implications especially in more vulnerable people.

Reactions: 3
Yeah I am not downplaying the seriousness of this, but I do think people need to be realistic in terms of restrictions/lockdowns etc. If and when infections go down, and as the current death rates and hospital admissions continue to reduce we shouldnt let the threat stop us from getting back to normal.

The loss of jobs and the depression statistics are incredibly worrying.
But that's the thing life will never be " normal " as we knew it ,unless this thing is gone . While it's still around vulnerable people ( that covers a massive amount ) will still need to be protected and that can only happen through a change in people's behaviour 🤷‍♀️

I was just trying to make a point that the most mundane and safe children’s illness like chicken pox can kill people. That antibiotics that are meant to help can be detrimental. So there is no surprise that a new virus can lead to a lot of implications especially in more vulnerable people.
But the thing with Covid is you don't know if you're vulnerable until you have it ...There's vaccines for the other illnesses you mentioned weather people want them or not it's up to them...nuts can be avoided ,as can medication ..that's the difference,,

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
But that's the thing life will never be " normal " as we knew it ,unless this thing is gone . While it's still around vulnerable people ( that covers a massive amount ) will still need to be protected and that can only happen through a change in people's behaviour 🤷‍♀️

But the thing with Covid is you don't know if you're vulnerable until you have it ...There's vaccines for the other illnesses you mentioned weather people want them or not it's up to them...nuts can be avoided ,as can medication ..that's the difference,,
I disagree, we will absolutely go back to "normal" without covid being gone. And we do know who is more vulnerable to covid, sure the odd person doesn't know they have an underlying condition or will have a bad reaction but by and large it follows a pattern and we do know the vunerable categories. The risk is not the same for everyone and to imply it is comes down to scaremongering imo. As a healthy slim and active 30 year old my chances of complications from covid are not the same as a 75 year old who is obese or has a heart condition for example.

We are at a point when we just need to lump covid in with the rest of the viruses we deal with on a daily basis.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 21
I disagree, we will absolutely go back to "normal" without covid being gone. And we do know who is more vulnerable to covid, sure the odd person doesn't know they have an underlying condition or will have a bad reaction but by and large it follows a pattern and we do know the vunerable categories. The risk is not the same for everyone and to imply it is comes down to scaremongering imo. As a healthy slim and active 30 year old my chances of complications from covid are not the same as a 75 year old who is obese or has a heart condition for example.

We are at a point when we just need to lump covid in with the rest of the viruses we deal with on a daily basis.
How can you go back to normal when there's thousands of " Vulnerable " people out there also ? or do they stay in hibernation for the rest of their natural life if no treatment or vaccine is found .You'd be completely happy to go an hug granny like you did before ? otherwise you'll be living in the " new normal " just like we are now,,

• Heart
Reactions: 2

Anyone who has an underlying health condition serious enough to be adversely affected, knows they have it, trust me on that one.

And yes we do know who the vulnerable are, I’m in the shielded category ie most likely to experience severe disease and death, and currently being forced back into the workplace despite being able to successfully work from home. So lack of protection for this group who are employed, and therefore unable to make their own choices is a huge issue.

If we treat Covid-19 like all other viruses then that will be our downfall. I do hope that regardless of your comments you are following social distancing and hand washing, if not for your sake than for the sake of others who are more vulnerable than you.

• Heart
How can you go back to normal when there's thousands of " Vulnerable " people out there also ? or do they stay in hibernation for the rest of their natural life if no treatment or vaccine is found .You'd be completely happy to go an hug granny like you did before ? otherwise you'll be living in the " new normal " just like we are now,,
The people who are vulnerable right now from coronavirus are also vulnerable from the common cold. What do we do in normal life to protect them from that?
The reality is there are significantly more people who are not extremely vulnerable who need to get back to living their life.

Anyone who has an underlying health condition serious enough to be adversely affected, knows they have it, trust me on that one.

And yes we do know who the vulnerable are, I’m in the shielded category ie most likely to experience severe disease and death, and currently being forced back into the workplace despite being able to successfully work from home. So lack of protection for this group who are employed, and therefore unable to make their own choices is a huge issue.

If we treat Covid-19 like all other viruses then that will be our downfall. I do hope that regardless of your comments you are following social distancing and hand washing, if not for your sake than for the sake of others who are more vulnerable than you.
Well the flip side is you are being forced back to work but as a healthy adult I am at risk of redundancy as my company are having to get rid of 500 roles (over 40% of the work force) due to enforced social distancing. This is only 2 months after a first round of almost 200 redundancies.
So while you might be more at risk to covid right now I am at risk of not being able to feed myself, pay my bills or my mortgage. People who are shielding are not the only ones in a tit situation so the snarky "I hope you are washing your hands" is really not appreciated if I'm being honest.

Sometimes people seem to think they are the only ones sacrificing, when up and down the country hundreds of thousands of people (moving into the millions in the coming weeks) have sacrificed their livelihoods to keep vulnerable people safe by lockdown.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 18
The people who are vulnerable right now from coronavirus are also vulnerable from the common cold. What do we do in normal life to protect them from that?
The reality is there are significantly more people who are not extremely vulnerable who need to get back to living their life.
[/QUOTE
OMG ! This coming from a person who's brother is in the extremely vulnerable category ...

Reactions: 1
I guess unfortunately at the end for the government and for the people it will become a choice between vulnerable people who were shielding (1.5 million) and everyone else. There is an estimate that currently there are still 9.5-9.6 million jobs on furlough. How many of those will get their job back? That’s not including everyone who is currently unemployed, has been made redundant or going to be made redundant despite being brought back from furlough, all the graduates and students.
I don’t like the idea of survival of the fittest. But more people are going to suffer if we do not get back to normal - whether it is going to be their mental health, their job, or other health conditions that have not been treated in all this time.

Reactions: 6

Well the flip side is you are being forced back to work but as a healthy adult I am at risk of redundancy as my company are having to get rid of 500 roles (over 40% of the work force) due to enforced social distancing. This is only 2 months after a first round of almost 200 redundancies.
So while you might be more at risk to covid right now I am at risk of not being able to feed myself, pay my bills or my mortgage. People who are shielding are not the only ones in a tit situation so the snarky "I hope you are washing your hands" is really not appreciated if I'm being honest.

Sometimes people seem to think they are the only ones sacrificing, when up and down the country hundreds of thousands of people (moving into the millions in the coming weeks) have sacrificed their livelihoods to keep vulnerable people safe by lockdown.
What a disgusting remark ! keeping the vulnerable safe has to be a priority..

• Heart

Having spent nearly 3 months with my dad in a coma due to Covid and watching his painful and ongoing long term recovery I think I’ve sacrificed enough thank you very much. I also think I have every right to be concerned about my own health, given that I’m a charge nurse and will be at risk in my workplace, aside from the traumatic experience we’ve been through as a family. If you interpreted my comment as “snarky” it says more about your attitude than mine. Asking people to follow advice, wash their hands and keep their distance is hardly a lot to ask.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.