Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
I guess that question is pretty big, sadly, considering the circumstances.
Did you at some point make a plan to leave and was there any one event that made that clear?
What were the circumstances of you actual departure/firing?
I'm back to answer the second part of your question: What were the circumstances of my departure?

Before I begin, I want to apologize for the length of these posts. So far, these aren't questions with simple or concise answers. I'm trying to give a full picture because I know that you guys have been trying to connect the dots, but I recognize it has made a lot of these posts long. Unfortunately, this post may end up being my longest because it is the part of my journey that people have the most questions about. It is also the part of my journey that has been most misrepresented. In order to avoid a lot of follow-up questions, I'm going to be proactive and address a lot here so that we can all put this particular thing to rest. Then we'll be able to move past it and get to the remaining questions y'all have on other topics. If long, sordid tales are not your thing, please just scroll past this one. If they are, buckle in.

So, as we all know, Dustin finally left The Dis. His seat was vacant, and Pete was beside himself over the loss of Dustin. The emotional roller coaster Pete was on was a really rough ride for the team in many ways. Pete kept Dustin's seat open and wouldn't fill it for what seemed an eternity. It felt like he was holding out hope that he would be able to lure Dustin back somehow.

I didn't really know what was going on with Pete. Only the guys were a part of Pete's innermost circle, so the women often dealt with the dramatic effects of Pete's personal soap opera without much context (except for Teresa...she knows where most of the bodies are buried. lol). This was one of those times. Pete seemed to be getting more irritable, but I didn't really know why. He was reorganizing things with the shows, and he felt The Trip needed a lot of changes. Those changes all but hog-tied The Trip. We were told that we would no longer be funded for outings in Orlando and had to restrict ourselves to round-table discussions about the theme parks. Since there was already a show about Disney and a show about Universal, this made The Trip redundant. We were told it had to be this way because the guys would now be too busy to spend any time creating the packages (video content akin to vlogs) that we incorporated into the show. We were also told it was not an option for the women (myself, Teresa, and Jackie) to create the packages ourselves because we weren't capable of meeting the quality standard that The Dis required. Craig, Teresa, and I didn't see the point in continuing and thought the show should just be dropped. We would have been content to let it go and focus our efforts on the shows Pete wasn't crippling. Teresa was stretched thin anyway due to her responsibilities at The Welcome Center. She regretted that she didn't have time for her family, and I wasn't so wrapped up in The Trip that I couldn't call it quits. In truth, the show was often an awkward experience for me even though I tried to make the best of it. We collectively felt it wasn't a tremendous loss if we were going to be working under these new restrictions.

One day before we started filming The Trip, Teresa gave me the heads up that Pete would probably pick a fight with me after the show because somehow he heard we were unhappy with the changes he was making. She also warned me that if I was honest, she would leave me holding the bag because she was not about to tell him her true feelings and suffer the consequences. I told her I understood. We filmed the show, wrapped, and just as she said, Pete came in and went straight for me. He very aggressively confronted me. I matter-of-factly laid out the points I mentioned above and said that maybe we should consider just dropping the show. To protect Craig, I did not mention any of his grumbling about Pete's decisions. And when it came to Teresa, I was careful not to put words in her mouth. I expressed that her circumstances should be given consideration as if those were singularly my personal feelings. And I did it all in a straightforward manner.

Because he was looking for a fight to begin with, he purposefully escalated everything even though it wasn't necessary. I had remained calm and collected, but he started antagonizing me and screaming at me. I suspect he was trying to bait me so that I would react and his vicious behavior would be justified. I was boiling, but I wasn't going to give him what he was desperate for. I heard no words at that point. There was only his ugly face screaming. I remember glaring at him, basically daring him to keep going until he turned blue in the face. No matter what, I wasn't going to respond other than with this dead stare of pure hatred. He eventually went silent and tried to intimidate me by glaring back, but I wouldn't look away. We sat there with eyes locked until he eventually broke, got up, and left the room. Craig, Teresa, and Jackie looked at me in disbelief. It wasn't the first time I had been direct with Pete, but I hadn't stood my ground like that before.

Days later, he apologized. I think he didn't know what else to do with me since I had shown some gumption. I briefly found myself being treated favorably again, and there was the gift of a Disney Resort stay for me and the kids around this time.

Not long after this, Pete finally came around and began interviewing to fill Dustin's spot. Oliver was among the top individuals being considered by Pete. He is talented and a hard worker, but if you look at him, it isn't hard to figure out why he caught Pete's attention. They aren't look-alikes, but Oliver and Dustin share some common physical traits as well as skill sets. He had a lot going for him in this particular race. The only thing that would have hurt Oliver's chances of landing the job was that during his interview when he was asked who his favorite podcaster was, he responded, "It's definitely JeniLynn. She is just lovely. I've been following her since her days at Attractions, and she is the reason I found The Dis." Oliver and I still laugh about that to this day because he didn't realize how much of a mistake that was.

Luckily or unluckily (depending on how you want to frame it), Oliver still rose to the top for Pete. And--full disclosure--I was 100% behind this decision because I felt Oliver was the best choice regardless of Pete's not-so-subtle attraction to him. Oliver was hired. Dustin's seat was filled, and we all hoped that Pete would be able to move on so our lives could be a little less hellish. That didn't up being the case for me.

Company policy required the team to float expenses on our personal credit cards. When we paid for meals, plane tickets, or anything else our content required, we did it with our personal credit, collected the receipts, and eventually turned them in for reimbursement. But turning over our receipts was always a very uncomfortable event. Even though it was money we were owed, it always felt like you were coming to Pete with your hand out. Sometimes, I just ate expenses to avoid having to ask Pete for money because it was just so unpleasant, and I never recorded the amounts from my receipts because I didn't think I needed that information. Questioning a check amount would have provoked him, so I figured I was going to take what I was given even if it was incorrect. But to his credit (pun intended?), I don't think I ever had a check come up short. In fact, it was often the opposite.

It wasn't uncommon to float expenses on our cards for months to avoid approaching him, and it wasn't uncommon to wait additional months to be reimbursed after you turned over your receipts. For this reason, it also wasn't uncommon for Pete to generously pad our reimbursement checks. I think he liked this system because it made him feel magnanimous, and none of us complained when he did it.

On the next reimbursement cycle, my check was padded. I didn't question it. Initially, I didn't even notice it because I never looked at checks in front of Pete. I didn't want to risk him handing me a check and interpreting my immediate lookover as supervising his math. I also didn't give it a priority later on because I hadn't tracked how much I was owed anyway. At that time, I had more pressing matters at home that I was navigating.

I had recently uncovered one of my daughters was emotionally struggling and was self-harming. She had started purposely scratching her skin until it broke open. Her dad and I were trying to figure out how to help her, but, honestly, it was mostly me trying to figure out how to help her. Inflated check amounts just weren't at the forefront of my mind, especially since it wasn't an unusual practice.

I think when I finally drove to the bank to deposit the check, I looked at it to record the amount on the deposit card, had a brief thought about it being a lot more than I remembered, reconciling it as Pete being extra generous, and moving on to the next thing that needed my attention. A couple of days after it was deposited, I received a text from Pete saying that he hadn't intended to give me that much. My immediate response was essentially, "Ok. Well, that makes sense. I'll return the difference to you tomorrow. What is that amount?" In so many words, he accused me of trying to defraud him, banned me from team activities, and refused to tell me the amount he wanted back.

I wrote him an email to try and establish a line of communication. In it, I painfully and embarrassingly groveled. I was already working on leaving The Dis, but this was happening too soon. I had two very strong possibilities sitting outside for me, but my ducks had not been lined up yet, and I still had three kids to take care of--one with a new and serious issue. It was not the time to be thrown into sudden unemployment. I was terrified.

I walked into the studio the next day with a check for $1k and asked Ryno to make sure Pete received it. I didn't know if that was the amount he felt he was owed. I had to take a guess. But once I dropped it off, I texted Pete to tell him the money had been returned. You guys have the screenshots of those texts in a previous thread for verification.

He never cashed that check. Instead, he began telling the team I was a thief. The team knew I had not stolen from Pete. My history at The Dis didn't line up with that. Corey spent about a full week trying to intervene on my behalf. I know that Craig also spoke up for me when he was given the chance. It fell on deaf ears. Pete was hell-bent on getting rid of me. His reaction was really extreme. He was the one who had made the mistake, and my immediate response was, "No problem. How much do you need back?" The whole thing felt manufactured like it had been when he tried to bait me into that fight a month before.

The inevitable did happen. Corey realized Pete was immovable on this and I was going to be terminated. He twisted himself into knots with apologies and asked me to forgive him because Pete was forcing him to witness my termination. He walked me to Pete's living room. I was seated across from Pete. John was there, stoic and silent. And Corey mournfully took a chair. I was told I was being fired for stealing, but I was told that I would be given 6 months of severance pay and 3 months of medical insurance. When I asked if this was in writing as our parting agreement, Pete scoffed. Nothing would be put in writing, and then I understood that this "severance" was hush money and that its ability to be taken from me would be used to ensure I did exactly what Pete wanted for at least 6 more months.

There was nothing left to say. The meeting ended. Corey walked me to the door and began apologizing again. I stopped him and told him that I knew Pete wanted him there to intimidate me, but it had the opposite effect. Corey being there made me feel stronger because I knew he knew I was innocent. I let him know he helped me keep my dignity and a stiff upper lip during it all. We hugged, and then I walked out where I found Craig waiting for me by my car. All stiff upper lips went out the window. We both cried. He was worried, but I told him it was ok. Although he was unaware of the plans I had been working on, we'd had enough conversations that he knew I was going to leave eventually. I reminded him of that and said, "This is just pushing me out the door a little sooner than expected and might not be a bad thing." As I started to walk away from Craig, I do remember stopping and saying, "Mark my words: This is because he wants to bring Dustin back, and now that Oliver is here, he needs my salary to do it."

I got in my car to drive away, and I had the Disney Production Manager on the phone before I made it off of Pete's street. He could hear that I was shaken up pretty badly. I asked if he could take his lunch break because I really needed to talk to him. Thankfully, he sensed the urgency. We met for lunch where I explained everything that had happened. After I had verbally vomited it all up, he said, "This is actually great." I said, "What?" He said, "We've been struggling to find something for you this whole time because you needed a full-time position that would give you a salary. You don't need that anymore." I said, "Huh?" He said, "Pete just gave you 6 months of money for training as a freelancer at Broadcast Production. You can be set up as an Independent Contractor. I hadn't suggested it before because the work wouldn't be steady at first, especially since you are new. But now you don't have to worry about that part. Your finances will be set for 6 months. I'll use that time to make sure you learn everything you need to know. We could have this thing totally figured out before the 6 months are up. Maybe at the end, you still decide to go full-time with Inside the Magic. Maybe you don't. Let's take the next 6 months and see what happens." That did not sound bad to me.

Hours later, I was able to get ahold of Ricky Brigante. I told him that I knew we had set a deadline for January 2017 but that timeline might need to be accelerated. I explained there wasn't a crisis because of my plan to use my "severance" while I picked up jobs at Disney. It still gave me time to look into the legal issue and him time to look for funding. He was cool with everything. We agreed to pick back up again in about 6 months.

I went to sleep that night stressed and exhausted but not panicked. Pete thought he had sent me packing with my tail between my legs, but I relished the fact that he would inadvertently be the reason I got my foot in the door at Disney. And 6 months later, I got a huge kick out of announcing my start with Inside the Magic. I hear it was that day Pete's lawyer informed him that the non-compete he thought was in my contract wasn't actually there.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 48
Oh my gosh I am SO glad you posted this!!! I will not try to moderate anyone but I will state my opinion that JL bringing one name out of left field with little explanation and then providing identifying info of an alleged victim is well, a really crappy thing to do.

Tell me again how Julie’s story is her story to tell in her own time or how you want to honor Shaun T desire for privacy and to erase his time at the Dis?

I fear the police records being dug up will further dox a victim or victims. While I am equally horrified, I am not sure what this all proves about the current situation.

I agree the site dedication not being removed sooner indicates what I see as them not doing enough deep reflection into their work culture. It shows they wanted to get back to normal as soon as possible. So I agree there are parts of this story that are very valid.

I would not have wanted to see someone dox Dustin before he was ready to share his story. There was also new alleged info that came out as his telling unfolded that impacted him. My understanding is he was able to talk directly to Charles privately and I am glad he was able to do so before sharing what he wanted to.

People can do as they choose, I am just sharing my reaction. Thank you Gossip Girl for your thoughts.

JL can and should tell HER story.
If information is publicly available via police records, court records, or newspaper articles, there is no reason to clutch pearls and police. I don’t think JL has gone too far at all with the information she has provided. While she was thankfully not victimized in the horrible ways Dustin and Sean were, she too is still a victim of Pete Werner.

JL has the ammo to eviscerate several employees at The Dis and she’s chosen to tell her story with grace, poise, honestly, and respect. Where most people would behave like John and Kevin by eating pretzels and pretending nothing happened, JL owned that continuing to work for Pete as long as she did when she began to learn the harsh truths of her employer doesn’t paint her in the greatest of light. This day and age such humility is rare and has earned my utmost respect. I can’t imagine being a single mom of 3 kids and that monster held my kids’ quality of life in his hands happily. What’s important is she did the right thing at the end of the day. She refused to disclose the rumor/stories told to her about Pete’s father until someone did some digging and found public records corroborating the disgusting truths about Werner Sr. She shared her story and tried not to speak for other current or former staff members of The Dis or speculate too freely. In my opinion she is running a master class right now.

The truth is sometimes ugly and pretending it doesn’t exist is exactly why Pete was able to abuse and assaulted multiple people without any repercussions and his great kingdom is falling down.
Couldn't agree more. JL was asked about her children in the same environment as Pete, given his predatory history and there is a larger piece of Pete's past the clearly showed a pattern. As stated numerous times by her, she was not about to divulge any of it if it were not true and there wasn't documentation to back it up.

It's public record. It happened. It's horrid and disgusting, but it took place and was documented for the public to be aware and provides context to a much bigger picture.

To me, redirecting upset feelings towards the confirmed predators and their enablers is a better use of my energy than directing it at someone who was also victimized like JL.

I appreciate her bringing further context to a sickening story that, because of her, now makes even more sense.
JL is here to share her experience and thoughts as a victim of it all because she is unable to do so on The DISboards. I welcome her and celebrate her bravery and courage to discuss these things.
Thank you for all of your thoughts and feedback. They are important to me. I am trying to navigate this very difficult situation (one which I have no previous experience navigating) as best I can. I am not a professional in this area, but I have been trying to give every question a lot of thought and consider the impact of my words before I answer. I'm clumsily doing this crazy balancing act to 1) Support the victims of sexual abuse by revealing a bigger picture for examination 2) Help myself get out from under the weight of living through it 3) Shed light on the struggle of my ex-coworkers and 4) Let the community that funded it all be aware of what they contributed to so that they can make an informed decision about the role they want to play moving forward. Being a flawed human being, I may not stick the landing every time, but I am definitely trying.

@JaqAndGus, I hear what you are saying about the "doxing." I was careful not to use the names of potential or probable victims, but I can understand why you feel I got too close to the fire. It's a fine line that I am trying to walk because there are many instances in which my story overlaps with others. That is how life is lived. Contrary to your opinion, none of this is from left field. My story is not completely separate from Dustin's, Julie's, Teresa's, etc. It's not even entirely separate from those who worked at The Dis during different chapters than mine. It's not as simple as that. I wish it was, but it isn't. You state that you are "just sharing your reaction." But, in fact, that is exactly what my post did. However, I had to give some context around what I was reacting to. And as crappy as it is to read all of this, I'm guessing it was far crappier to live all of it and then feel a responsibility to explain it at the risk of being judged by others for not saying things perfectly. I'm doing my best here. Even so, I'll try to do better in this and future posts. You and Gossip Girl's icky feelings have been noted, and I'll do what I can to be sensitive to that as well (or you can always hit the ignore button if you feel you need to).

I'm going to recap in an attempt to be less clumsy with my points: I was asked about the thing that made me pull the trigger to leave. I answered because that is a part of MY story, and I tried to answer it with sensitivity while still being informative. I was careful to emphasize the trigger was hearsay and avoided as much detail as I felt I could without communicating ineffectively. In doing that, I may have done myself a disservice here because there has apparently been an assumption that people now know the story that I didn't tell. So to be more clear...while some seem to feel they have been able to pull the story from my vagaries, I want to *assure* them that they have not because the story that I was told was particularly dark and twisted and not as straightforward as is probably assumed. Because of my attempt to be sensitive, I left out a lot and tried to emphasize that if the story I had been told was true, then the idea that the studio where we worked, being dedicated to the employee that Pete potentially betrayed, was sick and twisted. I did state that it was relevant to me because it pertained to an employee's son. It seemed an important point because it touched my story for that reason--context. But that moment, sitting in the studio, hearing that story, and it triggering me to take a big step towards leaving The Dis, happened to me. It is a part of my story. And that is the part that I told. Anyone who feels they could have done a better job telling it....I would have gladly handed the responsibility over to you.

I have been asked in other posts if I truly thought the stories I heard could be true. I attempted to be proactive and explain why I did think what I heard (but did not reveal) could be true and pointed to something else that was twisted and could be verified by public documents. The connection was a pattern of twistedness in honoring situations that should not be honored and more evidence of a narcissistic personality disorder that has done more damage than can probably be covered in its entirety. That, in my mind and in my story, made the original story of hearsay (which I did not share and no one here knows) more probable. And that was the point of it all. There was no malicious attempt to out potential, probable, or actual victims. It was an attempt to support my experience--my story--with legitimate information because that is important as well. In my mind, that is *very important* because I don't want people to dismiss what we are talking about as "fake news." It's real people. Real lives. Real trauma that really happened and some of it can be verified. If that point can't be driven home, then there really is not much point in any of us sharing any of our stories.

If the posts are giving anyone icky feelings that is probably because these are icky truths. Like the detail about my daughter, which *I am comfortable sharing* because it helps bring the much-needed gravity to the seriousness of our story....if I had left that out people would have had an understanding that what I went through was bad, but they wouldn't have felt the actual weight of my experience. Because I shared it, many seemed to get it, and that helped bring healing--not just to me but also to others who may also tell their stories in time (related or unrelated to The Dis). I can say this because I have gotten quite a few messages from others telling me exactly that.

Thank you, again, to those reading who actually get what I am trying to say and accomplish even when it is clumsy. Your ability to follow is appreciated. And to the others who have pointed out what they feel are points of failure, I've heard you. I've learned from you. I will try to do better and ask that you give me some grace when I don't get it perfectly right.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
I wonder, did you all collectively, or in smaller groups, ever discuss going out on your own and creating a new channel(s)? Did you acknowledge to each other how screwed up the situation was (or specifically he was) or was it an every person for themself survival mode kind of thing (zero judgment if it was)?

You referenced that getting a copy of your contract became key later. In what way? Did you all sign iron-clad non-competes? Or was the idea of going against him too much (please know I don't say that lightly -- I completely understand it might have been)?

And some non-related comments/requests:

It's really nice to see you thriving in a career you love. I'd be interested in hearing more about the work you're doing now, to the extent you're able to speak about it, and/or how you got into it. And totally understand if you're not able to or prefer not to.

If, by any chance, you're still in contact with Oliver ... please share with him that his vlogs are missed, and I really hope that he's found happiness
Answering these one by one with bullet points:

* Did we discuss going out on our own and collectively creating a new channel? Heavens no! There was never enough unity in the group to come close to uttering the words. I doubt anyone even entertained the thought. Pete discovering something like that would have been too risky, and there would have been no protection from the wrath that would have rained down on the people involved.

The only thing that I was party to that comes close to what you describe involves Oliver, and it took place after he walked out on Pete. He asked me to start This Orlando Life with him. Honestly, I would have loved to be devoted to that vlog. Oliver has fantastic ideas. He is not afraid to roll up his sleeves and work hard. Plus, he is a natural on camera. I concede that he was/is better in the "host" position than me. I think if we had both fully put ourselves behind it as intended, it could have been a pretty amazing experience for both of us. But I was working very hard to establish myself at Disney AND working full-time at Inside the Magic AND still parenting three kids. There is no way that I could have handled the additional weight of regularly contributing to the vlog, and I didn't want him to be dependent on someone who couldn't deliver. I suggested that he start the vlog with his partner, Spencer, since Spencer was always available. I told him that I would be happy to appear in the vlog when I could. So Oliver would meet up with me when I was in the Parks collecting content for Inside the Magic, and I would make appearances every once in a while that way.

* When at The Dis, we talked about how screwed up our situation was on a daily basis. But because there were unknown individuals in the group that fed Pete information, which he would often use to justify abusing us, it almost always came down to every person for themself at some point.

* Getting a copy of my contract became key because I was told repeatedly that we had non-compete clauses in our contract. It had been beaten into our heads that this was fact, and we all, including Corey, took it at face value. If it had been true, this would have possibly killed my chances of providing for my family after being fired because my skill sets were amateur and primarily related to blogging. Not many people in the corporate world would have given me a second glance as a stay-at-home mom of three with homeschooling and waitressing experience. My best shot was either working for one of The Dis' competitors or finding someone with compassion who would "champion" me in a different sector. Luckily, I found both.

When I got the copy of my contract, I read it over and couldn't find a non-compete clause. When I got fired and needed to be sure of this, Oliver was kind enough to slip me a copy of the contract he had recently signed so that I could compare the two and make sure that John hadn't omitted any pages when he gave me my copy. The contracts were exactly the same. I still saw no non-compete, but since I am not a lawyer, I thought maybe I was just not fully understanding the contract. I paid $700 to meet with a lawyer who specialized in contracts like this and represented clients who had to fight their former employers in court. He assured me that there was no non-compete and that I would be safe taking any job that I wanted. I remember this very clearly...he told me, "It is absolutely impossible for him to sue you over this, but from the story you are telling me and the supporting evidence you have, you have grounds for suing him. This is wrongful termination. However, if you don't actually want your former job back, and it sounds like you don't, I would take the job you have waiting for you and move on. There isn't much to win in court if you don't want your old job." I was 100% fine with that and quietly moved forward with both Disney and Inside the Magic.

* In 2017, I left Inside the Magic and put all my eggs in the Disney Broadcast Production basket as a freelancer. My tiered contract allowed me to be hired for 5 different positions: Production Assistant, Production Coordinator, Production Manager, Writer, and Producer. I jumped between all of those positions, depending on which jobs were available, to fill my calendar with as many days of work as possible. I worked very hard and got to do some rather cool things. My favorite project during this time, though, was probably Disney Animals. It was an interstitial that was broadcast on Disney Junior, the Disney NOW app, Disney Resort television, and uploaded to the Disney Junior YouTube Channel. I wrote all of the Season 1 episodes, and I was also selected to be the voice-over artist for the episodes featuring a female voice.

Eventually, I was working almost every day because the jobs were plenty and my work was valued. In 2019, after working primarily on projects for Disney's Public Relations, I was hired as a CT (part-time position with no medical benefits) Entertainment Manager with Broadcast Production. In 2020, I was given a TA (temporary assignment) as a full-time (with medical benefits) Production Manager for Broadcast Production so that I could be devoted to Season 1 of the Disney+ Show, The Magic of Disney's Animal Kingdom (MODAK). In spite of my status as Production Manager with Disney, National Geographic gave me Line Producer credit when they put everything up on IMDB because I was in charge of supervising the budget. [Sidenote: There is an irony here that is not lost on me. Pete accused me of financial theft, but I now manage multi-million dollar budgets at a Fortune 500 company, and he is being sued by credit cards while his own company claims he fraudulently created the credit accounts. How's that for a plot twist?]

I was furloughed for a year when the world shut down in 2020, and a lot of things changed in our department. When I was brought back in 2021, the company decided to let me keep my TA, and on my birthday that same year, they promoted me to full-time (without the TA).

Our department just recently changed its name to better reflect the diversity of our projects, so I am currently a Production Manager for the Visual Media Production department of Disney Live Entertainment. And while I still have the ability to manage productions that appear on ABC, Disney+, etc. I am now primarily focused on the projects that debut in The Parks. My responsibilities are many, but the primary ones are creating/managing the budgets and making sure the video/digital elements, created by our team of Visual Effects Designers, are being completed on schedule. It involves a lot of communication between many disciplines. Sooo...Finding Nemo: The Big, Blue & Beyond? Did it. The relaunched Fantasmic!? Did it. The additional insert of Walt in Enchantment? Did it. The addition of Main Street to Happily Ever After? Did it. The creation of The Live Action Little Mermaid Meet backdrop? Did it. A few projects made for the Disney Cruise Line? Did it. The Nightmare Before Christmas Sing-Along at Jollywood Nights? Did it. The other projects I am currently working on are confidential, so we will all have to wait until they are announced before I can say, "Did it." :)

I freaking LOVE my job at Disney. I have worked and continue to work very hard. I now have leadership that recognizes that and values it. And they know how grateful I am to be in such a supportive environment.

One of my Instagram stories alluded to this exchange, but in a meeting with the primary leader of my department (we call them 1:1s), I said, "I regularly tell people that you guys are the best leadership I have ever had at a job." He said, "Ok, but it doesn't sound like it was a hard bar to clear. Basically, I just have to not financially abuse or molest my employees." My response was, "That's fair."

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 44
Hey Yall! Just in case it wasn’t clear. I can 100% agree to JL’s story the same as Sean has. We all heard the same things. And let me make it very clear, JL has my full support!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 40
I guess that question is pretty big, sadly, considering the circumstances.
Did you at some point make a plan to leave and was there any one event that made that clear?
What were the circumstances of you actual departure/firing?
Ok. Sooooo...I will probably divide this into two separate posts because covering it all in one would do my head in tonight. I'll start with your first question: Did I make a plan to leave, and was there any one event that made it clear I needed to?

I definitely made a plan to leave, but I'll start at the beginning with what made it clear I had to go.

When I was a child, my parents divorced, and the parent who raised me was a textbook narcissist and emotionally abusive. For that reason, I grew up in very unstable circumstances and never felt safe. As an adult, I became a single mom with three kids that I loved fiercely and did whatever I could to insulate them from the type of childhood I had. When it eventually sunk in that my job was not real, I knew I had a problem. I felt like I could have been in one of those commercials: "I'm not a real show host, I just play one for Pete." Don't get me wrong. I don't think I was better than the shows I did or the people I did them with. I don't. When I say my job wasn't real, I mean that my purpose was not to entertain others even though you'd think that was the purpose of "Multi-Media Talent." My purpose was to entertain a narcissist by following every whim, meeting every demand, and swallowing every insult. Having grown up with a narcissist, I knew this meant the stability of my kids' situation was at risk. And that wasn't something that I could sit on. That was when I started wondering if I had other options.

I considered going back to waitressing, but it was a last resort since I probably would have had to work nights with no one watching the kids. I needed to find someone who would see my skills as a blogger, believe they had value, and be able to pay me enough to support three kids. Not an impossible feat, but definitely a challenging one.

Pete straps you in, though, by making you feel like you can't succeed without him, and he tries to destroy you if you attempt it. In my case, that would have impacted three kids, so I did feel a little stuck for a while.

I did finally pull the trigger one day after being told a particularly heinous story about Pete's past. I have no idea if it was true, but it freaked me out enough that I finally called Ricky Brigante from Inside the Magic and prayed he wouldn't let anyone know I was inquiring about openings with his blog. That call was the start of months and months of negotiations for what would eventually become one of the jobs I took after leaving The Dis. Ricky and I eventually landed on January 2017 for me to make the jump. It would give me enough time to figure out how to legally do it since I had signed a contract with Pete. It would also give him enough time to ensure he could fund my salary.

The second job ended up being a gift that Pete unintentionally gave me, and I take pleasure in knowing this because I think it would incense him if he knew it. The Dis had agreed to run a social media campaign for Disney Resorts. Disney's Broadcast Production department escorted us around property for a week while the team gathered content for the 7 in 7. My job was to write about the resorts, which was done at the end of the day in my room. I didn't have much real purpose during the days that we walked the resorts, but I was required to be there the entire time anyway. I decided to make the most of it and engaged the Disney team that escorted us. The Production Manager and I ended up chatting quite a bit that week, and he asked me a lot about what I did and the project we were working on. It gave me the opportunity to show him a lot of stuff. I shared projects I had been a part of prior to The Dis as well as some of the ones at The Dis. He asked about how those projects came together and, more specifically, what my particular role and skill sets were. I also talked a lot about my kids and how much bringing them to Disney meant to me.

A few days into the week, he said to me, "I have to ask you a question, and I hope you aren't offended by it." This disclaimer made me very nervous, but I said, "OK?" He said, "You are actually pretty well-rounded and have a decent understanding of production. And you are obviously very passionate about our company's brand. So this whole week I've been struggling with this question because it doesn't quite make sense to me. If you love Disney so much, why aren't you working for us?" I smiled and said, "You know. It's a great question, and I would love to talk with you about that more. If it is ok, I will call you later when my boss isn't standing right over there." He agreed.

I think I called him the first night I got back home and asked if he genuinely meant what he said and if he knew of any opportunities for me. He said he had a few ideas. Over the next couple of months, he introduced me to people in his department and also arranged a couple of meetings for me with other departments. He wasn't exactly sure where he could help me land, but he was pretty determined to help me get out of my toxic workplace, so we kept discussing possibilities.

Meanwhile, I kept working at The Dis and doing my best there. Plans were being made to leave, but I had no guarantees yet. Because of that, I had to keep my focus at The Dis. For the time being, it was how I provided for my family, and I needed to make it work until I knew I had a plan that wouldn't fall through.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
@imjenilynn I think you were able to 'say goodbye' on an episode of the Universal show. How did that come about? Did you ask to do it or did they ask you to do it to try to avoid the criticism of another person leaving without any explanation? Did you see or speak to Pete again after that meeting? If he had to find out from his lawyer that you didn't have a non-compete clause, I'm guessing he threatened to sue you and/or ITM?
I found time between brining the turkey and making the cranberry sauce to answer these questions. Again, taking them one-by-one below:

*As you've heard, one of Pete's toxic traits was being manipulative. He would reframe his wickedness as generosity to get what he wanted from you while appearing charitable. After telling me he was firing me for stealing, he told me that he would allow me to say goodbye on the show as if he was doing me a favor that I didn't deserve. The thing is, though, I'm not stupid. I knew exactly what this was about.

He had regularly been called out by the viewers for never addressing Shaun's sudden disappearance. He didn't like the way people saw through his dismissive silence. It showed his hand a bit because you can't claim to be the boss that everyone dreams of working for when people think you unjustifiably fire your employees.

I told him that saying goodbye on the show wasn't necessary. He said, "You can make up whatever reason you want for leaving. The company won't refute it." I said, "Nah. I'm good. I'm not bothered if people think I did something wrong. We can just part ways here." You could tell that wasn't what he wanted to hear, but he said nothing.

It must have been the following week I was told that I was required to attend the Universal Show and give a goodbye. I said that I couldn't because I was already scheduled for my first day at my next job, which was true. I was told that because I had resigned, I had to give The Dis two weeks. When I clarified I hadn't resigned, I was fired, I was told that Pete might cut off my "severance" if I didn't show up, and no one wanted that. Long story short, I had to cancel my first job opportunity with Disney and was worried that would hurt my chances of getting more jobs with them. It wasn't bad enough that I was framed for theft and turned out as a single mom. I now had to make covering for Pete a priority even if it cost me a chance at employment.

I did what I had to do. I canceled. My chance at Disney wouldn't work if I didn't have Pete financing it anyway. There was no way around it, so I showed up for the Universal show. Anyone who watched saw a very weird dynamic in the room during housekeeping when I said I would be leaving. Oliver was silent. Ryno aimed for laughs. Craig got emotional, and I sort of cut him off and said, "We should push on with this show." They also saw me hijack his goodbye speech at the end. As much as I love Craig, I was not going to give Pete the satisfaction of seeing me go soft. And if Craig kept on, I was going to break and go soft.

The whole thing was wrong on so many levels. It was wrong to jeopardize my opportunity to move beyond The Dis. It was wrong to force me to go on-air when I was in pain, and it was wrong to put the Universal team in that position with me as well. But this is what happens when there is a bully calling the shots.

I know that during my time at The Dis, I didn't appeal to some viewers because they interpreted my behavior as bitchy or condescending. It's been stated here in previous threads that I believed I was "better than" if I remember correctly. I'm hoping this brings some clarity to those who felt that way. That was just me trying to keep my chin up and hold onto my dignity in front of a tormentor who got his jollies from regularly seeing people crumble under his persecution. That was me trying to make sure he didn't have the upper hand.

*In case you haven't picked up from the story above, I did not see or speak to Pete again after my dismissal. He is a bully, but he is also too much of a coward to look his savagery in the eye. He had my co-workers do the dirty work that followed for him. I didn't and still don't hold that against them. Again, it's complicated, but I know that they felt like they didn't have a choice.

*I was told by the people that I kept in touch with that Pete called his lawyer after I released my Inside the Magic announcement. I was told that he was livid and ready to prosecute me to the fullest extent that he could, but his lawyer said, "Nope. Can't do it." And I was also told that after the call with his lawyer, my name was never brought up again. I imagine he didn't want the reminder that he didn't have the upper hand anymore. I did, and I don't think the smile could be wiped off my face when I got that confirmation. Mission accomplished.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 37

The Mando

Late to the party, but can def confirm Pete told me about his father and the things he did to the adopted/foster kids. I’ve had a history of people in my family do that stuff too and we talked about it but ultimately, I don’t have communication with those people because I of the crime. Pete felt his dad was wrong but ultimately the victim.

I’ll say this as 100% opinion. Pete doesn’t like the adopted siblings because I think he blames them for the dad going to prison. I think he knows he’s wrong to hate them for it and he goes out of his way to give them the most money and opportunities because he despises the victims and hates himself for despising them. Pete’s a complex character to say the least.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
Hi! Ryno is my personal friend and had no effect on my opinion here. I personally think this website is full of supporters and haters equally.

I am ready to move on thanks!

However there is a whole missing part of my story that addresses the whole "moving back" portion of the equation. Eventually I will finish it. I hope everyone is doing well. Please know that I am very much in support of Sean and JL and any one else who speaks out. We'll talk again soon.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

• Heart
Reactions: 36

The Mando

Oh maybe she wasn’t paid as much as you’d think and not saying she hasn’t heard her money, but I meant it more that she wasn’t some ‘friends or family’ discount. She has a set rate and is paid her rate.

Keep in mind, Mary from Publix is a friend of the Dis as much as President Josh as much as the actual Little Mermaid. The criteria is extremely broad.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 35

TheNextStacey

Chatty Member
Expectation: "We're coming back better than ever! New and improved! Creative and innovative!"

Reality: "We're still exactly the same. Maybe worse, actually."
Nailed it. So much so, we probably have the next thread title from the 2nd post on this new one.

The DIS Unplugged #11 We're still exactly the same. Maybe worse, actually

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Hey everyone! Welcome @imjenilynn to the party. :)☀ Looking forward to hearing your story and perspective!!
Thank you. So that’s why I’m here I guess. Some people had questions about what happened to me. It felt like I should be the person to answer them. It didn’t feel appropriate before when the guys were sharing since my time there was not on the same level as Dustin and Sean, but it might be ok now? Also, I thought if anyone had questions about stuff in general, I would answer the ones I was able to answer. Sooooo….just happy to be here?

• Heart
@imjenilynn what do you think about the future for the DIS? I think a number of us are in agreement that it looks quite bleak and there hasn't been this creative explosion we were all promised. I wish (some of them) well but I tend to agree as I unfollowed months ago!
If you are asking whether I think their current content is quality, I couldn't say because I don't watch anything they put out.

1) It is too triggering for me. Prior to Pete's removal, I would literally feel ill if I saw his face or heard his voice. Because Oliver and I remain close and in touch, I know this physical response is not limited to me. Healing does come over time, but the trauma is never far from the surface.

2) Even though Pete isn't in their videos now, I still can't bring myself to watch because I don't feel right about it. I do care a lot for most of my ex-co-workers, but I can't support what they are currently doing. That brings us to my third unpopular opinion: The hard truth is that The Dis was built on toxicity and abuse. And even though we didn't know it then, we know now that this includes multiple accounts of sexual abuse. I feel it should be dismantled to help the abused heal (including the current team because they need to step away and heal too). I was ready to support the current team's efforts if they created something new. I would have even been in support if they rebranded and done the same thing independent of Dreams Unlimited. But from what I see at a distance, it doesn't look like something new. It doesn't even look like a meaningful rebrand. It feels like a repeat. They didn't even have the courage to make a clean break from the podcast or Dreams Unlimited name. Instead, they actually combined them because they seem to still be clinging to the legacy of their abuser. I found that disheartening because his legacy is criminal. Young men were drugged and sexually abused. Like I said before, it's a bridge too far for me.

3) John is still at the helm of the ship, and I am not convinced that Pete isn't being propped up by him. I have heard that Pete isn't "associated" with the company anymore, but it is very unclear what that means. If nothing else, it leaves room for the possibility that John and Pete have made a backdoor arrangement. As I mentioned previously, it's reasonable to suspect that Pete can tie John to books that are not on the up-and-up. And I don't think it is a far reach to postulate those books show criminal activity in the eyes of the IRS. Pete went too quietly too quickly, and John stayed too quiet for too long. Again, I have no first-hand knowledge of any of this being true. John just appears to be motivated to keep the status quo with Pete the same way that he did when Pete *was* associated with the company, so I am not convinced their ties have been cut. And I won't cheer for anything attached to John anyway.

All that being said, I believe that the team has it in them to do great things in spite of what you might see at the moment. I've heard their ideas. I've been a part of their creativity. I've seen their hustle. I've been charmed by their personalities, and, in the past, I've been entertained by their results. If they are tanking now, it is probably because their hearts aren't in it. They are still mentally trapped in an environment that has beaten them down for years and to a boss that hasn't really had their backs. It's not hard for me to conclude that morale isn't high even after the "rebrand." I would love to see them be truly untethered and find their footing, but mostly I would love to see them do all that apart from a company that hasn't shown remorse for the damage it has done.

Last edited:
  • Heart

minimax

Chatty Member
If information is publicly available via police records, court records, or newspaper articles, there is no reason to clutch pearls and police. I don’t think JL has gone too far at all with the information she has provided. While she was thankfully not victimized in the horrible ways Dustin and Sean were, she too is still a victim of Pete Werner.

JL has the ammo to eviscerate several employees at The Dis and she’s chosen to tell her story with grace, poise, honestly, and respect. Where most people would behave like John and Kevin by eating pretzels and pretending nothing happened, JL owned that continuing to work for Pete as long as she did when she began to learn the harsh truths of her employer doesn’t paint her in the greatest of light. This day and age such humility is rare and has earned my utmost respect. I can’t imagine being a single mom of 3 kids and that monster held my kids’ quality of life in his hands happily. What’s important is she did the right thing at the end of the day. She refused to disclose the rumor/stories told to her about Pete’s father until someone did some digging and found public records corroborating the disgusting truths about Werner Sr. She shared her story and tried not to speak for other current or former staff members of The Dis or speculate too freely. In my opinion she is running a master class right now.

The truth is sometimes ugly and pretending it doesn’t exist is exactly why Pete was able to abuse and assaulted multiple people without any repercussions and his great kingdom is falling down.
Couldn't agree more. JL was asked about her children in the same environment as Pete, given his predatory history and there is a larger piece of Pete's past the clearly showed a pattern. As stated numerous times by her, she was not about to divulge any of it if it were not true and there wasn't documentation to back it up.

It's public record. It happened. It's horrid and disgusting, but it took place and was documented for the public to be aware and provides context to a much bigger picture.

To me, redirecting upset feelings towards the confirmed predators and their enablers is a better use of my energy than directing it at someone who was also victimized like JL.

I appreciate her bringing further context to a sickening story that, because of her, now makes even more sense.
JL is here to share her experience and thoughts as a victim of it all because she is unable to do so on The DISboards. I welcome her and celebrate her bravery and courage to discuss these things.

• Heart
Reactions: 33

LobCheapek

Chatty Member

• Heart
Reactions: 31

The Mando

I think it's their only brick and mortar too, which makes it doubly confusing.

Also, who WOULDN'T want to stop by this garden spot on their way to their $20k Disney Cruise?:

View attachment 2586870
I forgot that the welcome center never got addressed in all my stuff. - it’s really stupid.

Years ago, Disney allowed vendors to come on the ship while it was in port to put things in people’s rooms before they got to the ship. DUT got a lease nearby the ship so the baskets could be made and then quickly make it to the ship between check out and check in so the guest would arrive and their basket was waiting in their stateroom. Disney eventually eliminated this policy and DUT still had the lease, so they started mailing the baskets or you could pick them up in person.

Back then, the baskets were fairly helpful. It had a highlighter marking activities on the daily planner, it had a white board so you could write notes for your family on where to find you on the ship, a power strip so you had more wall plugs etc etc. but as times changed, the things in the basket weren’t relevant anymore.

Pete told me about the welcome center and said that he didn’t know what to do with it at that point and the lease was soon going to expire. I believe the rent was around $3000 a month but I’m not sure I remember that correctly. Pete said it worked well because they needed a place to make the baskets and anyone who booked with FLtours to be driven there got a free stop over at the Welcome Center.

I asked what was in the baskets and that the cost was roughly $25 per basket, I was told it was 2 full time employees and 1 part time employee. Teresa also could book someone on their next cruise after they got off the ship or if people called in she could book them (which actually did happen with people calling).

I gave my two cents. I said Teresa could easily answer the business phone from her house and then you don’t have to pay a salary. I also suggested the basket was outdated and irrelevant and that instead of paying 2.5 employee salaries to make them and $36k a year to house it all, plus the cost to make each one that they could just stop making them completely. This would save around $126,000 per year in company expenses. Not even taking shipping the baskets into account.

Instead of baskets, DUT already gave $25+ in Disney gift cards (depending on what you spend) to their clients) but DUT could also have a gift card and give the clients that and ‘match’ whatever the Disney amount was. This would ensure that the client would HAVE to use DUT in the future and if they didn’t then the company loses nothing because the money isn’t real, it’s just a deduction off a future trip which would’ve made DUT able to always beat the competition because everyone is the same price as Disney (outside like Costco and stuff) but DUT gift cards would allow you to book with them again at a slightly lower rate than even Disney could book the client. In addition, a gift card would allow them to have ‘giveaways’ on the show and at events and if the winner uses it, its new business, if they don’t then it’s no loss.

I had the gift card made (see attached) and it was simple, it allowed people to use their number on the back to have it linked with their profile so the balance would show there. It also listed most of the products we sold because so many people said they didn’t think we sold anything but Disney. It also featured Pete’s new ‘tv logo’ (fun fact, the plan there was that Pete wanted theDIS to become a round the clock television channel - like you could subscribe to with cable - which is also stupid).

I presented it to Pete first and explained to him that he needed to present it to John himself and claim that Craig made it because John didn’t like me and would kill the project simply because I presented it. Pete showed John and John liked it and then Pete told me that he then told John that I came up with it ‘so I got my credit’ and then John changed his tune and said it wouldn’t work and killed it. I told him I didn’t want credit, I was just trying to help and that he shouldn’t have done that and then Pete got made at me and flipped out that I’m stupid and a terrible employee and businessman anyway and he’d never defend me again cause I’m ungrateful and all that.

and now for the photo above of the street view of the welcome center. Pete proceeded to invest a bunch of money into the welcome center and bought all new furniture and couches. Dragged us down there to film travel agency content (these videos likely still exist because it was them interviewing me on the new couches about booking vacations - this should’ve been in 2019 I believe) - then he wanted me to start working out of the welcome center (which would’ve given me a 1+ hour commute every day, each way for a job I currently did from home) and he also proceeded to rent the unit on the far left (you can see it just has a white sign above it that’s blank). He moved the basket making into that other building and then made the welcome center, just be the welcome center, despite them being able to make baskets for years in the one rented unit.

In what was supposed to be a money saving plan, it ended up costing extra per year with no benefit, but I guess he proved his point to me. Hope it was worth it. And to think it all started with a gift card.

Attachments

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
@imjenilynn Where did John fit in all of this while Pete was being abusive to the staff on a daily basis? Did he just not get involved? We know that the full-time employees are Dreams employees even though they work on the Dis side.
Exactly. I want to know if John was an enabler, i.e. he knew what was going on but turned a blind eye.
I'm curious about Teresa and John and the long time employees, like Craig and Ryno and how they interacted with Pete and each other. We've heard alot of whispers about enablers.

I know there seems to be this common theme that Pete was a master manipulator and evil genius, but I am a little unsure of that. For some of these people that have been around the DIS for 10+ years it feels more like that people are just willing to compromise themselves, or even "play the game", when they are being given money, a job and annual passes. "Ya, this is a toxic environment, but I sure love those free Moonlight Magic events!"
@imjenilynn Like @Cinnamon1, I'm interested in John's knowledge of Pete's bed behavior. I am also wondering if the rest of the Dis staff thought Kevin was an insufferable snob.
@Cinnamon1, @Rufuscat, @Ghost of Bob Varley, I will answer your questions before I circle back to those of @Emmapism, @cavamom, and @Rufio'sGhost because I agree with you 100%. This question about John is currently the most important question because it gets to the heart of The Dis right now. And @ghostofbobvarley is right. A lot has already been said about Pete being abusive. Nothing in my personal tale is going to shock anyone after hearing from Sean and Dustin, so that can take a beat. I'll turn to this question of enabling.

My first unpopular opinion is that all of us who participated in The Dis Unplugged community and kept participating after seeing the toxic signs of work abuse enabled Pete. I'm including the team, webmasters, moderators, fundraisers, clients, viewers, listeners, etc. We all played a part in empowering Pete, but I do get what you are asking. You are trying to get a feel for whether the insiders--John in particular--are complicit in other people's suffering either by nurturing the environment, neglecting it, or simply keeping it open for business.

My second unpopular opinion is a bit complicated, and I am unpacking it in therapy. But the short of it is that, to varying degrees, I would say , yes, we were complicit. The reasons for being there differed. Some reasons are more noble than others. But at the end of the day, like @ghostofbobvarley implied, each person chose to be a tool in Pete's toolbox even after having their eyes opened. The bottom line for me is that, as adults, we should take responsibility for that choice, acknowledge our individual roles, and recognize that on some level we made peace with getting what we could out of a situation that hurt ourselves and others.

The reason the opinion is complicated for me is because everyone there *was* abused, and that really handicaps your ability to emotionally function and think rationally. It's a weird survival mentality. Actual survival isn't a real question. In truth, all of us have the option of getting another job. It is just really hard to see it that way when you are in the thick of it. So I have a lot of empathy for pretty much everyone on the team...except for John.

John does not get a pass from me because he is probably the one person who actually did have the power to stop the abuse, and he DEFINITELY knew about it. In a couple of isolated cases, he helped (like putting Teresa slightly out of reach at the Welcome Center). I suspect that sometimes he apathetically triggered situations (like hamstringing funds, knowing full well it would send Pete on his broomstick in our direction ). Occasionally, he actively blocked Corey who regularly tried to intervene when someone was "taking hits." But, usually, he did try to just brush past it or stay out of it. He was very nice to talk to, but actions speak louder than words. And his actions point to protecting his pocketbook over everything else.

I have spent a lot of time wondering why he has never really addressed the Pete issue...even now. My best guess is that his pocketbook isn't actually safe. Lawsuits aside, I wonder if Pete has proof of shady financial practices John can be tied to. This would explain why John always tries to keep the status quo with Pete even in extreme instances. I fully admit that I have no actual knowledge of anything like this. It is just the thing that makes the most sense to me.

I totally have to take a break now. I woke up sick today, and I have a headache coming on. So I'll get back to all this when I can. I hope this answers enough questions for now.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
So, I'll kick it off with @imjenilynn.

Can you go way back and tell us how you became involved with The Dis, and what those early days were like? Did you see any red flags or was the environment fun and creative?
Yes! So...I started running into Corey at media events when I was a "mommy blogger." I had been a fan of the Dis since 2006 or 2007, so meeting him was a big deal to me. I covered these media events for other blogs, and I let Corey know that I would love to be given the opportunity to work for the Dis. That was kinda it for a while.

A few years passed. During that time, I grew my own blog, started my own webcast (which Panda was on with me), co-hosted Attractions Magazine, and became a "theme park expert" for the local Fox station in Orlando. Unfortunately, I was also going through a divorce and was going to need a better-paying job. As much fun as those other things were, I hadn't monetized any of them, and I was really worried about supporting my kids as a waitress.

I suppose the timing was a coincidence, but I received a message from a friend via Facebook asking if I'd be interested in a position at the Dis. They seemed to think there was a possibility they'd be interested in hiring me if I left Attractions Magazine. I had three mouths I was going to be feeding on my own soon, and Attractions Magazine had already told me that they were unable to give me a paid position, so I said that I would be interested. Additionally, I had always loved how the Dis seemed to give their honest opinions about things. I didn't really have that freedom at Attractions. And who can complain about medical benefits?

It didn't take long before I found myself at a dinner with Corey and Pete at Kona Cafe and discussing a potential position with the team. I had to pinch myself a few times. It really felt like I'd won the lottery.

Pete was clear that he was a "my way or the highway" person, but that really didn't bother me. It was his business. I had no problem with letting him run his business. I was just grateful to be given a chance to support my family by visiting, writing, and talking about theme parks rather than serving tequila to tables of men asking inappropriate questions.

The early days at the Dis are always good for the new person (in a slightly uncomfortable way). You are Pete's new, shiny toy. He elevates you. He love-bombs you with gifts. You get taken on an official shopping trip to the mall, where you are bought a Coach bag and whatever else strikes his fancy that day. In my case, he also sent me a large check before I even joined the team and told me he was going to give me an image makeover. More specifically, he wanted me to become the "Hillary Clinton of the Disney Community." I'm not sure why he landed on that in particular, but that is what I was told. Within my first few months, I was told to host the show for three weeks while he was gone (even though the others had been there much longer and should have been given the seat). And, in truth, all those things are the first red flags because that's not a professional environment. That is a predator setting the stage for someone to become financially, mentally, and emotionally dependent. It's also a narcissist putting pawns into position so that he can potentially play them against one another. These are the primary factors Pete needs to maintain control, and he wastes no time putting it all in place when he brings someone in.

I had slight concerns about most of these things, but you aren't given the option to say no to Pete. Even though it is unspoken, that is understood...even in the beginning. You aren't allowed to say no. This part is hard for many to understand because it sounds silly within the context of a healthy, working environment. But this wasn't a healthy, working environment. When Pete decided to give you something (an experience, a gift, money, a resort stay, I guess even a timeshare), turning him down wasn't really an option. You were expected to accept it. You were expected to show gratitude. And you got bonus points if you showed gratitude in public. I wish I could explain it better than this, but you just knew there would be consequences for you at some point if you insulted him. And if you didn't accept the thing he was giving you, you would insult him. So you went with the part of you that wanted to accept the gift, hoped there weren't strings attached, and were grateful for it.

All that being said, I loved my job during the first year. And once the team realized they could trust me, I formed really strong bonds with them (some that still hold to this day). It also gave me the flexibility that I needed as a single mom at the time. But beneath the good stuff, there was always an undertone that something wasn't right. And I immediately started to pick this up from the team when I was brought in.

There was tension from my very first dinner with the team. Pete set it up. We all met at a restaurant in downtown Orlando. It was my introduction to everyone. During the dinner, I would catch weird glances being shot across the table. They were clearly communicating with each other about stuff...just not out in the open. There was some chit-chat at the table, but most of it felt forced. I remember more awkward silence than I expected for a talkative podcast panel. It seemed odd to me then, but I get it now. I totally get it now.

At that same dinner, Pete commanded Dustin to follow him on his smoke break. The way that it was done was very "showy." Everything just kinda halted when Pete did it, and I think that was his intention. They left, and we all just sort of looked at each other for a moment. Everyone had poker faces even though it felt like his exit was meant to elicit a response. In hindsight, I'm sure they felt like they couldn't say much in front of me. They didn't know me. At the time, they didn't know what I might repeat to Pete. And I was wondering why everyone was giving off this hostage vibe, but I clearly couldn't say that to them. Ultimately, I acted like everything was normal because I wanted it to be. Sadly, in time, this did become normal...just not in the way that I had hoped.

In time, I learned that the "perks" of the job weren't just attached to strings. My whole life was attached because Pete didn't like boundaries. And because I was the sole provider, that meant the lives of my kids were attached too. For example, we were pressured to celebrate Thanksgiving with Pete. We attended the first year I worked for the Dis. There was no way that I was going to refuse my first year. In my second year, I turned the invite down, but it made me really nervous. I knew there would be a price to pay for that. All of us who did not attend were iced out at work for a bit as penance.

I finally had an epiphany. I had been given the title "Multi-Media Talent" or something like that, but it had become obvious that it wasn't a real job. I honestly felt like a character in Pete's fantasy kingdom he created to protect his ego. Knowing that the way I paid rent depended on one person's ego became a constant stress for me.

Fast forward a bit....I don't remember what year it was (2015?), but I went to D23 with them in CA. By the time I went on that trip, I already knew that I couldn't stay at the Dis. I needed to find a way out even though I also knew that it wouldn't be pretty if I did. I had already started negotiating a salary with another blog by then, and I remember asking John and Kevin for a copy of my contract during that trip. I had misplaced my copy, and I needed to know exactly what I had signed. This put John and Kevin on notice (which meant Pete would also be put on notice), but it didn't matter. Getting that copy became key in 2016.
---
It's MUCH better from the outside looking in...
You ain't kiddin'.
---
I love that JL is yere. Just throwing this out there, but @imjenilynn was the best at doing the Dis Daily Fix. Those were always a fun 5 minutes of Disney added to my day.
The Daily Fix was my favorite project that I did during my time at The Dis. I liked it even more than The Trip. And there are some fun, narcissistic behind-the-scenes stories about Pete associated with it. If you followed The Daily Fix, I'll put some of the random pieces of what should have been a standard format into place for you.

• Heart
Reactions: 29

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28