The DIS Unplugged #10 We’re Not Happy to be Here

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
While I realize new “tea” is chum in the water for this site, some of these posts are making me very uncomfortable for a different reason. I want to voice a request for caution in naming or describing in a way to “dox” potential or actual victims of crimes. They above all else deserve privacy. For example, just because a potential victim is deceased, I think it’s still pretty low to introduce his name into this conversation. His loved ones are still alive and unless they give consent, this whole thing feels icky. I say this with first hand experience of having loved ones (including ones now deceased) be victims of sexual assault and I’d reign down fire on anyone that would use them as fodder for internet gossip. JL is clearly okay with revealing her kids’ info online (I sincerely hope your daughter gave permission for you to share the details of her past mental health situation on this website) but it’s really another matter to reveal other people’s info.
Maybe I missed something but has that been done?

Reactions: 1
While I realize new “tea” is chum in the water for this site, some of these posts are making me very uncomfortable for a different reason. I want to voice a request for caution in naming or describing in a way to “dox” potential or actual victims of crimes. They above all else deserve privacy. For example, just because a potential victim is deceased, I think it’s still pretty low to introduce his name into this conversation. His loved ones are still alive and unless they give consent, this whole thing feels icky. I say this with first hand experience of having loved ones (including ones now deceased) be victims of sexual assault and I’d reign down fire on anyone that would use them as fodder for internet gossip. JL is clearly okay with revealing her kids’ info online (I sincerely hope your daughter gave permission for you to share the details of her past mental health situation on this website) but it’s really another matter to reveal other people’s info.
For your convenience, the first rule, as stated by Tattle.Life Administration.
Rules.png

Reactions: 12
To me, this releavtion about Pete's father doesn't really change my opinion one way or another to what took place over the last 10-15 years. All it does is fill in a piece of the puzzle for why he may have acted this way. It doesn't change make me sympathize with him or make me feel worse about him.

I may be alone in this and don't want to minimize what was clearly sexual assualt from two first-hand witnesses, but what really sets me off was that others stood back and let Pete have his way of things becuase it was "too hard" to fight him on everything. The tipping point for me was hearing JL talk about being basically framed for stealing and everyone knew it wasn't true, but didn't do anything to stop it. They just sat back and tried to write a check and make that person go away. John had a chance to make things right as a partner but chose to do nothing. This is the reason I feel John was absolutely complicit in everything that happened. I 100% feel John Magi is an equal villian in this as he could have done something, but would rather let Pete have his way then treat others with respect and dignity. Until he comes out and gives his side of it (which I know he never will), to me he is the worst type of person in that company.

I am sure an arm-chair psychologist would argue Pete's actions were inevitatble due to his upbringing while I reject that argument, John also knew who Pete was from first hand experiences and chose to go on ABD trips and shopping excursions instead of stopping this when the first warning sign came up. These are not isolated incidents, it seems the revolving door of employees all have their own story to tell. THAT IS NOT NORMAL.

Reactions: 16
To me, this releavtion about Pete's father doesn't really change my opinion one way or another to what took place over the last 10-15 years. All it does is fill in a piece of the puzzle for why he may have acted this way. It doesn't change make me sympathize with him or make me feel worse about him.

I may be alone in this and don't want to minimize what was clearly sexual assualt from two first-hand witnesses, but what really sets me off was that others stood back and let Pete have his way of things becuase it was "too hard" to fight him on everything. The tipping point for me was hearing JL talk about being basically framed for stealing and everyone knew it wasn't true, but didn't do anything to stop it. They just sat back and tried to write a check and make that person go away. John had a chance to make things right as a partner but chose to do nothing. This is the reason I feel John was absolutely complicit in everything that happened. I 100% feel John Magi is an equal villian in this as he could have done something, but would rather let Pete have his way then treat others with respect and dignity. Until he comes out and gives his side of it (which I know he never will), to me he is the worst type of person in that company.

I am sure an arm-chair psychologist would argue Pete's actions were inevitatble due to his upbringing while I reject that argument, John also knew who Pete was from first hand experiences and chose to go on ABD trips and shopping excursions instead of stopping this when the first warning sign came up. These are not isolated incidents, it seems the revolving door of employees all have their own story to tell. THAT IS NOT NORMAL.
Craig sat by while his best friend was canned and Jenny Lynn was called a thief and liar he should get a real job with real retirement incentives but having access to rides first and free cupcake events instead of retirement plan sounds way cooler than being an adult.

Reactions: 4
For your convenience, the first rule, as stated by Tattle.Life Administration.
View attachment 2600796
Mea culpa. I forgot that was a rule. I’ll go sit in the corner now.

I don't see anyone knowing or disclosing the names of Pete's father's victims. Are we talking about the same thing?
Hence, my question.
Not really, I’m talking about JL repeating hearsay with a name of a potential Victim of Pete.

Mea culpa. I forgot that was a rule. I’ll go sit in the corner now.

Not really, I’m talking about JL repeating hearsay with names of potential victims.
Where's the name??? Here's exactly what she said.

Below is the exactly what Pete told me directly. If there are any inaccuracies, they will have come from him:

Pete’s foster brother was at his house once. His brother is sweet and gentle, but he is also mentally handicapped and would annoy Pete for that reason. His presence there that day triggered my conversation with Pete.

Pete shared that his dad had been in jail for many years because he sexually abused his foster siblings. I was horrified, especially because his brother is special needs. It made me ill.

It looks like you have found a clipping that talks about his dad being a sex offender. This is what it refers to. He assaulted his foster kids, according to what Pete shared with me that day.

And, yes, now that we know Pete is also a sex offender…the apple does not fall far from the tree.

Reactions: 8
Late to the party, but can def confirm Pete told me about his father and the things he did to the adopted/foster kids. I’ve had a history of people in my family do that stuff too and we talked about it but ultimately, I don’t have communication with those people because I of the crime. Pete felt his dad was wrong but ultimately the victim.

I’ll say this as 100% opinion. Pete doesn’t like the adopted siblings because I think he blames them for the dad going to prison. I think he knows he’s wrong to hate them for it and he goes out of his way to give them the most money and opportunities because he despises the victims and hates himself for despising them. Pete’s a complex character to say the least.
Sean, (just trying to wrap my head around this) does this mean the adopted/foster kids were still apart of the family after the dad's incarceration? I understand they might have then been of age after release, but that is a hard pill to swallow.

Reactions: 3
Oh my gosh I am SO glad you posted this!!! I will not try to moderate anyone but I will state my opinion that JL bringing one name out of left field with little explanation and then providing identifying info of an alleged victim is well, a really crappy thing to do.

Tell me again how Julie’s story is her story to tell in her own time or how you want to honor Shaun T desire for privacy and to erase his time at the Dis?

I fear the police records being dug up will further dox a victim or victims. While I am equally horrified, I am not sure what this all proves about the current situation.

I agree the site dedication not being removed sooner indicates what I see as them not doing enough deep reflection into their work culture. It shows they wanted to get back to normal as soon as possible. So I agree there are parts of this story that are very valid.

I would not have wanted to see someone dox Dustin before he was ready to share his story. There was also new alleged info that came out as his telling unfolded that impacted him. My understanding is he was able to talk directly to Charles privately and I am glad he was able to do so before sharing what he wanted to.

People can do as they choose, I am just sharing my reaction. Thank you Gossip Girl for your thoughts.

JL can and should tell HER story.

If information is publicly available via police records, court records, or newspaper articles, there is no reason to clutch pearls and police. I don’t think JL has gone too far at all with the information she has provided. While she was thankfully not victimized in the horrible ways Dustin and Sean were, she too is still a victim of Pete Werner.

JL has the ammo to eviscerate several employees at The Dis and she’s chosen to tell her story with grace, poise, honestly, and respect. Where most people would behave like John and Kevin by eating pretzels and pretending nothing happened, JL owned that continuing to work for Pete as long as she did when she began to learn the harsh truths of her employer doesn’t paint her in the greatest of light. This day and age such humility is rare and has earned my utmost respect. I can’t imagine being a single mom of 3 kids and that monster held my kids’ quality of life in his hands happily. What’s important is she did the right thing at the end of the day. She refused to disclose the rumor/stories told to her about Pete’s father until someone did some digging and found public records corroborating the disgusting truths about Werner Sr. She shared her story and tried not to speak for other current or former staff members of The Dis or speculate too freely. In my opinion she is running a master class right now.

The truth is sometimes ugly and pretending it doesn’t exist is exactly why Pete was able to abuse and assaulted multiple people without any repercussions and his great kingdom is falling down.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
If information is publicly available via police records, court records, or newspaper articles, there is no reason to clutch pearls and police. I don’t think JL has gone too far at all with the information she has provided. While she was thankfully not victimized in the horrible ways Dustin and Sean were, she too is still a victim of Pete Werner.

JL has the ammo to eviscerate several employees at The Dis and she’s chosen to tell her story with grace, poise, honestly, and respect. Where most people would behave like John and Kevin by eating pretzels and pretending nothing happened, JL owned that continuing to work for Pete as long as she did when she began to learn the harsh truths of her employer doesn’t paint her in the greatest of light. This day and age such humility is rare and has earned my utmost respect. I can’t imagine being a single mom of 3 kids and that monster held my kids’ quality of life in his hands happily. What’s important is she did the right thing at the end of the day. She refused to disclose the rumor/stories told to her about Pete’s father until someone did some digging and found public records corroborating the disgusting truths about Werner Sr. She shared her story and tried not to speak for other current or former staff members of The Dis or speculate too freely. In my opinion she is running a master class right now.

The truth is sometimes ugly and pretending it doesn’t exist is exactly why Pete was able to abuse and assaulted multiple people without any repercussions and his great kingdom is falling down.
Couldn't agree more. JL was asked about her children in the same environment as Pete, given his predatory history and there is a larger piece of Pete's past the clearly showed a pattern. As stated numerous times by her, she was not about to divulge any of it if it were not true and there wasn't documentation to back it up.

It's public record. It happened. It's horrid and disgusting, but it took place and was documented for the public to be aware and provides context to a much bigger picture.

To me, redirecting upset feelings towards the confirmed predators and their enablers is a better use of my energy than directing it at someone who was also victimized like JL.

I appreciate her bringing further context to a sickening story that, because of her, now makes even more sense.
JL is here to share her experience and thoughts as a victim of it all because she is unable to do so on The DISboards. I welcome her and celebrate her bravery and courage to discuss these things.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
All of this information is absolutely horrific. I remember Pete talking in one episode about how his brother was so proud of/happy for Pete for providing their family trip to Aulani. Then Pete announced how he was making this Aulani trip annual, only to cancel the next apparently booked vacation. Of course I do not know if this brother was biological or foster, but the way he gushed about this moment being so emotional and this trip being such an amazing experience seems impossible to reconcile with this abominable history. I come from an abusive family, but nothing like this situation, and this scenario just seems unfathomable. The depth and depravity of Pete's lies is just astounding.

Reactions: 5
Oh my gosh I am SO glad you posted this!!! I will not try to moderate anyone but I will state my opinion that JL bringing one name out of left field with little explanation and then providing identifying info of an alleged victim is well, a really crappy thing to do.

Tell me again how Julie’s story is her story to tell in her own time or how you want to honor Shaun T desire for privacy and to erase his time at the Dis?

I fear the police records being dug up will further dox a victim or victims. While I am equally horrified, I am not sure what this all proves about the current situation.

I agree the site dedication not being removed sooner indicates what I see as them not doing enough deep reflection into their work culture. It shows they wanted to get back to normal as soon as possible. So I agree there are parts of this story that are very valid.

I would not have wanted to see someone dox Dustin before he was ready to share his story. There was also new alleged info that came out as his telling unfolded that impacted him. My understanding is he was able to talk directly to Charles privately and I am glad he was able to do so before sharing what he wanted to.

People can do as they choose, I am just sharing my reaction. Thank you Gossip Girl for your thoughts.

JL can and should tell HER story.

Couldn't agree more. JL was asked about her children in the same environment as Pete, given his predatory history and there is a larger piece of Pete's past the clearly showed a pattern. As stated numerous times by her, she was not about to divulge any of it if it were not true and there wasn't documentation to back it up.

It's public record. It happened. It's horrid and disgusting, but it took place and was documented for the public to be aware and provides context to a much bigger picture.

To me, redirecting upset feelings towards the confirmed predators and their enablers is a better use of my energy than directing it at someone who was also victimized like JL.

I appreciate her bringing further context to a sickening story that, because of her, now makes even more sense.
JL is here to share her experience and thoughts as a victim of it all because she is unable to do so on The DISboards. I welcome her and celebrate her bravery and courage to discuss these things.
Thank you for all of your thoughts and feedback. They are important to me. I am trying to navigate this very difficult situation (one which I have no previous experience navigating) as best I can. I am not a professional in this area, but I have been trying to give every question a lot of thought and consider the impact of my words before I answer. I'm clumsily doing this crazy balancing act to 1) Support the victims of sexual abuse by revealing a bigger picture for examination 2) Help myself get out from under the weight of living through it 3) Shed light on the struggle of my ex-coworkers and 4) Let the community that funded it all be aware of what they contributed to so that they can make an informed decision about the role they want to play moving forward. Being a flawed human being, I may not stick the landing every time, but I am definitely trying.

@JaqAndGus, I hear what you are saying about the "doxing." I was careful not to use the names of potential or probable victims, but I can understand why you feel I got too close to the fire. It's a fine line that I am trying to walk because there are many instances in which my story overlaps with others. That is how life is lived. Contrary to your opinion, none of this is from left field. My story is not completely separate from Dustin's, Julie's, Teresa's, etc. It's not even entirely separate from those who worked at The Dis during different chapters than mine. It's not as simple as that. I wish it was, but it isn't. You state that you are "just sharing your reaction." But, in fact, that is exactly what my post did. However, I had to give some context around what I was reacting to. And as crappy as it is to read all of this, I'm guessing it was far crappier to live all of it and then feel a responsibility to explain it at the risk of being judged by others for not saying things perfectly. I'm doing my best here. Even so, I'll try to do better in this and future posts. You and Gossip Girl's icky feelings have been noted, and I'll do what I can to be sensitive to that as well (or you can always hit the ignore button if you feel you need to).

I'm going to recap in an attempt to be less clumsy with my points: I was asked about the thing that made me pull the trigger to leave. I answered because that is a part of MY story, and I tried to answer it with sensitivity while still being informative. I was careful to emphasize the trigger was hearsay and avoided as much detail as I felt I could without communicating ineffectively. In doing that, I may have done myself a disservice here because there has apparently been an assumption that people now know the story that I didn't tell. So to be more clear...while some seem to feel they have been able to pull the story from my vagaries, I want to *assure* them that they have not because the story that I was told was particularly dark and twisted and not as straightforward as is probably assumed. Because of my attempt to be sensitive, I left out a lot and tried to emphasize that if the story I had been told was true, then the idea that the studio where we worked, being dedicated to the employee that Pete potentially betrayed, was sick and twisted. I did state that it was relevant to me because it pertained to an employee's son. It seemed an important point because it touched my story for that reason--context. But that moment, sitting in the studio, hearing that story, and it triggering me to take a big step towards leaving The Dis, happened to me. It is a part of my story. And that is the part that I told. Anyone who feels they could have done a better job telling it....I would have gladly handed the responsibility over to you.

I have been asked in other posts if I truly thought the stories I heard could be true. I attempted to be proactive and explain why I did think what I heard (but did not reveal) could be true and pointed to something else that was twisted and could be verified by public documents. The connection was a pattern of twistedness in honoring situations that should not be honored and more evidence of a narcissistic personality disorder that has done more damage than can probably be covered in its entirety. That, in my mind and in my story, made the original story of hearsay (which I did not share and no one here knows) more probable. And that was the point of it all. There was no malicious attempt to out potential, probable, or actual victims. It was an attempt to support my experience--my story--with legitimate information because that is important as well. In my mind, that is *very important* because I don't want people to dismiss what we are talking about as "fake news." It's real people. Real lives. Real trauma that really happened and some of it can be verified. If that point can't be driven home, then there really is not much point in any of us sharing any of our stories.

If the posts are giving anyone icky feelings that is probably because these are icky truths. Like the detail about my daughter, which *I am comfortable sharing* because it helps bring the much-needed gravity to the seriousness of our story....if I had left that out people would have had an understanding that what I went through was bad, but they wouldn't have felt the actual weight of my experience. Because I shared it, many seemed to get it, and that helped bring healing--not just to me but also to others who may also tell their stories in time (related or unrelated to The Dis). I can say this because I have gotten quite a few messages from others telling me exactly that.

Thank you, again, to those reading who actually get what I am trying to say and accomplish even when it is clumsy. Your ability to follow is appreciated. And to the others who have pointed out what they feel are points of failure, I've heard you. I've learned from you. I will try to do better and ask that you give me some grace when I don't get it perfectly right.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
Sean, (just trying to wrap my head around this) does this mean the adopted/foster kids were still apart of the family after the dad's incarceration? I understand they might have then been of age after release, but that is a hard pill to swallow.
I haven’t spoken to Pete since 2022, but at that time they were still part of the family. I assume they still are.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
Thank you for all of your thoughts and feedback. They are important to me. I am trying to navigate this very difficult situation (one which I have no previous experience navigating) as best I can. I am not a professional in this area, but I have been trying to give every question a lot of thought and consider the impact of my words before I answer. I'm clumsily doing this crazy balancing act to 1) Support the victims of sexual abuse by revealing a bigger picture for examination 2) Help myself get out from under the weight of living through it 3) Shed light on the struggle of my ex-coworkers and 4) Let the community that funded it all be aware of what they contributed to so that they can make an informed decision about the role they want to play moving forward. Being a flawed human being, I may not stick the landing every time, but I am definitely trying.

@JaqAndGus, I hear what you are saying about the "doxing." I was careful not to use the names of potential or probable victims, but I can understand why you feel I got too close to the fire. It's a fine line that I am trying to walk because there are many instances in which my story overlaps with others. That is how life is lived. Contrary to your opinion, none of this is from left field. My story is not completely separate from Dustin's, Julie's, Teresa's, etc. It's not even entirely separate from those who worked at The Dis during different chapters than mine. It's not as simple as that. I wish it was, but it isn't. You state that you are "just sharing your reaction." But, in fact, that is exactly what my post did. However, I had to give some context around what I was reacting to. And as crappy as it is to read all of this, I'm guessing it was far crappier to live all of it and then feel a responsibility to explain it at the risk of being judged by others for not saying things perfectly. I'm doing my best here. Even so, I'll try to do better in this and future posts. You and Gossip Girl's icky feelings have been noted, and I'll do what I can to be sensitive to that as well (or you can always hit the ignore button if you feel you need to).

I'm going to recap in an attempt to be less clumsy with my points: I was asked about the thing that made me pull the trigger to leave. I answered because that is a part of MY story, and I tried to answer it with sensitivity while still being informative. I was careful to emphasize the trigger was hearsay and avoided as much detail as I felt I could without communicating ineffectively. In doing that, I may have done myself a disservice here because there has apparently been an assumption that people now know the story that I didn't tell. So to be more clear...while some seem to feel they have been able to pull the story from my vagaries, I want to *assure* them that they have not because the story that I was told was particularly dark and twisted and not as straightforward as is probably assumed. Because of my attempt to be sensitive, I left out a lot and tried to emphasize that if the story I had been told was true, then the idea that the studio where we worked, being dedicated to the employee that Pete potentially betrayed, was sick and twisted. I did state that it was relevant to me because it pertained to an employee's son. It seemed an important point because it touched my story for that reason--context. But that moment, sitting in the studio, hearing that story, and it triggering me to take a big step towards leaving The Dis, happened to me. It is a part of my story. And that is the part that I told. Anyone who feels they could have done a better job telling it....I would have gladly handed the responsibility over to you.

I have been asked in other posts if I truly thought the stories I heard could be true. I attempted to be proactive and explain why I did think what I heard (but did not reveal) could be true and pointed to something else that was twisted and could be verified by public documents. The connection was a pattern of twistedness in honoring situations that should not be honored and more evidence of a narcissistic personality disorder that has done more damage than can probably be covered in its entirety. That, in my mind and in my story, made the original story of hearsay (which I did not share and no one here knows) more probable. And that was the point of it all. There was no malicious attempt to out potential, probable, or actual victims. It was an attempt to support my experience--my story--with legitimate information because that is important as well. In my mind, that is *very important* because I don't want people to dismiss what we are talking about as "fake news." It's real people. Real lives. Real trauma that really happened and some of it can be verified. If that point can't be driven home, then there really is not much point in any of us sharing any of our stories.

If the posts are giving anyone icky feelings that is probably because these are icky truths. Like the detail about my daughter, which *I am comfortable sharing* because it helps bring the much-needed gravity to the seriousness of our story....if I had left that out people would have had an understanding that what I went through was bad, but they wouldn't have felt the actual weight of my experience. Because I shared it, many seemed to get it, and that helped bring healing--not just to me but also to others who may also tell their stories in time (related or unrelated to The Dis). I can say this because I have gotten quite a few messages from others telling me exactly that.

Thank you, again, to those reading who actually get what I am trying to say and accomplish even when it is clumsy. Your ability to follow is appreciated. And to the others who have pointed out what they feel are points of failure, I've heard you. I've learned from you. I will try to do better and ask that you give me some grace when I don't get it perfectly right.
Well now I may be swaying over to the icky feelings side of the house…

it seems this narrative is veering into rumors and hearsay regarding a completely different set of folks… why? This is all getting really weird…

Reactions: 1
Well now I may be swaying over to the icky feelings side of the house…

it seems this narrative is veering into rumors and hearsay regarding a completely different set of folks… why? This is all getting really weird…
Who are you referring to? I’ll clarify if I have been misunderstood.

Who are you referring to? I’ll clarify if I have been misunderstood.
Thank you for telling your storage JL. Please do not entertain the weirdos who are trying to make something out of nothing you’re telling your story you’re telling your lived experience.

I’m also happy that you got to fulfill your dream to work at Disney and are making such incredible strides for the guest experience… I just hope you had nothing to do with Jollywood Nights!

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.