The DIS Unplugged #10 We’re Not Happy to be Here

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I‘m not sure if more people are going negative to drive more traffic and clicks, but I feel like we’re at a point where it’s hip to hate on Disney for everything. And frankly, I’m getting tired of it.
I think it’s clear to me that Jollywood night one was an overall a clusterfuck for many reasons and Disney rectified a number of problems to try to alleviate the pain points that people experienced on night one. So I think the criticism was legit, but also that’s the risk of doing any new release on the 1.0, that if won’t truly be its final form.

one thing I like to keep in mind is that the average person has a different experience than most bloggers because normies don’t feel the need to do all the big things and already know to make priorities…whereas YouTubers need to do as much as possible to try to be as relevant as possible to their audience.

Reactions: 7
I wonder, did you all collectively, or in smaller groups, ever discuss going out on your own and creating a new channel(s)? Did you acknowledge to each other how screwed up the situation was (or specifically he was) or was it an every person for themself survival mode kind of thing (zero judgment if it was)?

You referenced that getting a copy of your contract became key later. In what way? Did you all sign iron-clad non-competes? Or was the idea of going against him too much (please know I don't say that lightly -- I completely understand it might have been)?

And some non-related comments/requests:

It's really nice to see you thriving in a career you love. I'd be interested in hearing more about the work you're doing now, to the extent you're able to speak about it, and/or how you got into it. And totally understand if you're not able to or prefer not to.

If, by any chance, you're still in contact with Oliver ... please share with him that his vlogs are missed, and I really hope that he's found happiness
Answering these one by one with bullet points:

* Did we discuss going out on our own and collectively creating a new channel? Heavens no! There was never enough unity in the group to come close to uttering the words. I doubt anyone even entertained the thought. Pete discovering something like that would have been too risky, and there would have been no protection from the wrath that would have rained down on the people involved.

The only thing that I was party to that comes close to what you describe involves Oliver, and it took place after he walked out on Pete. He asked me to start This Orlando Life with him. Honestly, I would have loved to be devoted to that vlog. Oliver has fantastic ideas. He is not afraid to roll up his sleeves and work hard. Plus, he is a natural on camera. I concede that he was/is better in the "host" position than me. I think if we had both fully put ourselves behind it as intended, it could have been a pretty amazing experience for both of us. But I was working very hard to establish myself at Disney AND working full-time at Inside the Magic AND still parenting three kids. There is no way that I could have handled the additional weight of regularly contributing to the vlog, and I didn't want him to be dependent on someone who couldn't deliver. I suggested that he start the vlog with his partner, Spencer, since Spencer was always available. I told him that I would be happy to appear in the vlog when I could. So Oliver would meet up with me when I was in the Parks collecting content for Inside the Magic, and I would make appearances every once in a while that way.

* When at The Dis, we talked about how screwed up our situation was on a daily basis. But because there were unknown individuals in the group that fed Pete information, which he would often use to justify abusing us, it almost always came down to every person for themself at some point.

* Getting a copy of my contract became key because I was told repeatedly that we had non-compete clauses in our contract. It had been beaten into our heads that this was fact, and we all, including Corey, took it at face value. If it had been true, this would have possibly killed my chances of providing for my family after being fired because my skill sets were amateur and primarily related to blogging. Not many people in the corporate world would have given me a second glance as a stay-at-home mom of three with homeschooling and waitressing experience. My best shot was either working for one of The Dis' competitors or finding someone with compassion who would "champion" me in a different sector. Luckily, I found both.

When I got the copy of my contract, I read it over and couldn't find a non-compete clause. When I got fired and needed to be sure of this, Oliver was kind enough to slip me a copy of the contract he had recently signed so that I could compare the two and make sure that John hadn't omitted any pages when he gave me my copy. The contracts were exactly the same. I still saw no non-compete, but since I am not a lawyer, I thought maybe I was just not fully understanding the contract. I paid $700 to meet with a lawyer who specialized in contracts like this and represented clients who had to fight their former employers in court. He assured me that there was no non-compete and that I would be safe taking any job that I wanted. I remember this very clearly...he told me, "It is absolutely impossible for him to sue you over this, but from the story you are telling me and the supporting evidence you have, you have grounds for suing him. This is wrongful termination. However, if you don't actually want your former job back, and it sounds like you don't, I would take the job you have waiting for you and move on. There isn't much to win in court if you don't want your old job." I was 100% fine with that and quietly moved forward with both Disney and Inside the Magic.

* In 2017, I left Inside the Magic and put all my eggs in the Disney Broadcast Production basket as a freelancer. My tiered contract allowed me to be hired for 5 different positions: Production Assistant, Production Coordinator, Production Manager, Writer, and Producer. I jumped between all of those positions, depending on which jobs were available, to fill my calendar with as many days of work as possible. I worked very hard and got to do some rather cool things. My favorite project during this time, though, was probably Disney Animals. It was an interstitial that was broadcast on Disney Junior, the Disney NOW app, Disney Resort television, and uploaded to the Disney Junior YouTube Channel. I wrote all of the Season 1 episodes, and I was also selected to be the voice-over artist for the episodes featuring a female voice.

Eventually, I was working almost every day because the jobs were plenty and my work was valued. In 2019, after working primarily on projects for Disney's Public Relations, I was hired as a CT (part-time position with no medical benefits) Entertainment Manager with Broadcast Production. In 2020, I was given a TA (temporary assignment) as a full-time (with medical benefits) Production Manager for Broadcast Production so that I could be devoted to Season 1 of the Disney+ Show, The Magic of Disney's Animal Kingdom (MODAK). In spite of my status as Production Manager with Disney, National Geographic gave me Line Producer credit when they put everything up on IMDB because I was in charge of supervising the budget. [Sidenote: There is an irony here that is not lost on me. Pete accused me of financial theft, but I now manage multi-million dollar budgets at a Fortune 500 company, and he is being sued by credit cards while his own company claims he fraudulently created the credit accounts. How's that for a plot twist?]

I was furloughed for a year when the world shut down in 2020, and a lot of things changed in our department. When I was brought back in 2021, the company decided to let me keep my TA, and on my birthday that same year, they promoted me to full-time (without the TA).

Our department just recently changed its name to better reflect the diversity of our projects, so I am currently a Production Manager for the Visual Media Production department of Disney Live Entertainment. And while I still have the ability to manage productions that appear on ABC, Disney+, etc. I am now primarily focused on the projects that debut in The Parks. My responsibilities are many, but the primary ones are creating/managing the budgets and making sure the video/digital elements, created by our team of Visual Effects Designers, are being completed on schedule. It involves a lot of communication between many disciplines. Sooo...Finding Nemo: The Big, Blue & Beyond? Did it. The relaunched Fantasmic!? Did it. The additional insert of Walt in Enchantment? Did it. The addition of Main Street to Happily Ever After? Did it. The creation of The Live Action Little Mermaid Meet backdrop? Did it. A few projects made for the Disney Cruise Line? Did it. The Nightmare Before Christmas Sing-Along at Jollywood Nights? Did it. The other projects I am currently working on are confidential, so we will all have to wait until they are announced before I can say, "Did it." :)

I freaking LOVE my job at Disney. I have worked and continue to work very hard. I now have leadership that recognizes that and values it. And they know how grateful I am to be in such a supportive environment.

One of my Instagram stories alluded to this exchange, but in a meeting with the primary leader of my department (we call them 1:1s), I said, "I regularly tell people that you guys are the best leadership I have ever had at a job." He said, "Ok, but it doesn't sound like it was a hard bar to clear. Basically, I just have to not financially abuse or molest my employees." My response was, "That's fair."

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 44
Watching some of these new Christmas party videos, I have to vent about the emotional intelligence of these people. I understand that they're inside a theme park that is built on whimsy, and essentially children's stories, but Adults do enjoy the fun as wel. And, let's face it, it's priced for adults. There's no circumstance where the people filming these vlogs should be behaving at the emotional equivalent of small children. Erica calls fireworks "sky boom booms", and needs to leave early because it's way past her bedtime. I know one or two people who have early schedules, they would not accept an expensive ticket to an event knowing that they wouldn't be attending the entire thing. I also know that if they did accept the ticket as a work commitment, they would have the ethics to actually put in the work required regardless of their personal schedule. It's called balance, and either you have the maturity to live up to your chosen commitments, or you decline the offer and let someone else step into that role. Of course, she brought nothing to the table because the only thing they even use her for is to showcase her questionable allergies. Ryno has better friends on his personal channel who are capable of articulating their thoughts.
Then I made the mistake of watching Deni because I wanted to see what she thought of Jollywood. Deni always irked me because she also is a little stunted. I won't get into the fact that she films herself laughing at nothing, for me it's her language. She uses words like "hubby", and "kiddo" frequently. It's borderline insulting because she's old enough to be somebody's grandmother. Use your big girl words, you dunce, and stop randomly laughing at nothing. Even children's shows use actual words in their programming, why do these grown ass adults act like this?

Yes, I too like to go to Disney parks and have fun, but that dosen't mean that my IQ drops fifty points when I step into them.
You're just a big meanie-weenie! 😾

• Haha
Reactions: 4
You go JL!

Karma is one hell of a concept considering where both you and Pete respectively are now.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Damn girl, you are an inspiration. Congrats on your achievements. I hope that sharing your story has been cathartic for you and feels supportive to the others who have spoken up. I'm not typically a believer in karma, but can't help but notice that you, Sean, Dustin, Shaun, Oliver, and others have moved on to great things, both professionally and personally. I hope Pete and John are suffering some consequences here, even if it isn't anywhere near what they deserve.

I agree that we all play a part in this, even those of us who don't know any of these people but were casual viewers who certainly noticed how horribly Pete treats people, yet still tuned in, posted on Disboards etc. I'm glad Tattle exists so we can learn the truth and do our part (no matter how small) to no longer support anything to do with Pete and John.

Craig, Ryno, Erica, Panda, Corey, others.... your turn.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
@imjenilynn in addition to letting us know what really happened with Sean Thompson, could you also tell us the real story about why Oliver left. Pete told me that it was because of Ryno and Craig and the way they treated him...call me suspicious, but I may have doubts about what Pete has told me in the past 🧐
Oliver's story was accurately told by @Jafar in a previous thread. I'm a little sad that @Jafar doesn't post anymore because his accuracy in retelling things (while not 100%) was rather high and his take on the various personalities at The Dis were generally on point. I don't know who he is, but he had good information.

Oliver was not treated badly by Craig or Ryno. Oliver walked out on Pete because of Pete, and, in truth, I've always been a little jealous of how he did it. Craig and Oliver, in particular, were very close when they worked together. The two of them were the primary contributors of video content while he was there. There was definitely no animosity between them, and my understanding is they were very much in lock-step with one another during those days.
---
Oliver has been mentioned here many times, and it seems he was sorely missed. Count me in on that.

I don't know if he ever reads here or anyone can relay the message, but he was a bright spot at The Dis and his channel with @imjenilynn was so much fun. They had great chemistry and I truly felt as if I was included with them on the vlogs. Great balance of information, tips, and fun.

I hope he's well, happy, and thriving!!!
I can honestly say that I've never seen him happier. He went back to school and trained hard for the position that he has at Universal (in which he has also moved up some). He is in a very healthy relationship, and he and his boyfriend work steadily on remodeling a home they bought together in Orlando. The results have been gorgeous!
---
The only thing different is Bob Varley who gave off great dad vibes. Everyone banged up on him pretty bad. Can’t imagine what Pete put him through.
The trigger that made me finally call Ricky at Inside the Magic is connected to this. The story I was told was hearsay, and neither Bob nor his son are alive now to give an account of anything. But after I heard what I heard, I was going to put as much space between my son and Pete as I possibly could.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
This can't be true. Please tell me she did not actually say this. And I can just hear her nasally voice saying it in a baby voice. Sky boom booms 🤢
If someone who calls fireworks sky boom booms has the sense to get out, but the others don’t it’s their own damn fault.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
@Charm “Deni always irked me because she also is a little stunted. I won't get into the fact that she films herself laughing at nothing, for me it's her language. She uses words like "hubby", and "kiddo" frequently. It's borderline insulting because she's old enough to be somebody's grandmother. Use your big girl words, you dunce, and stop randomly laughing at nothing.”
Add to this fact that she’s evolved/devolved from looking like a lesbian to 12yr old boy for some reason!

Reactions: 4
One of my Instagram stories alluded to this exchange, but in a meeting with the primary leader of my department (we call them 1:1s), I said, "I regularly tell people that you guys are the best leadership I have ever had at a job." He said, "Ok, but it doesn't sound like it was a hard bar to clear. Basically, I just have to not financially abuse or molest my employees." My response was, "That's fair."
Well, he's said many times that he can't be on Disney property without anyone knowing who he is. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 6
@Charm “Deni always irked me because she also is a little stunted. I won't get into the fact that she films herself laughing at nothing, for me it's her language. She uses words like "hubby", and "kiddo" frequently. It's borderline insulting because she's old enough to be somebody's grandmother. Use your big girl words, you dunce, and stop randomly laughing at nothing.”
Add to this fact that she’s evolved/devolved from looking like a lesbian to 12yr old boy for some reason!
To be fair, the look she has currently is the look she always had prior to her growing out her hair for a bit. If you google her image you will find one with her hair short and red. I think she looked better with the longer hair, but clearly she likes it shorter.

Reactions: 1
Did someone say Deni or Erika now have a patreon? ....dang, maybe I should start a patreon 😀

Reactions: 2
The trigger that made me finally call Ricky at Inside the Magic is connected to this. The story I was told was hearsay, and neither Bob norhis son are alive now to give an account of anything. But after I heard what I heard, I was going to put as much space between my son and Pete as I possibly could.
@imjenilynn Are you able to elaborate on this?

Reactions: 7
Oliver's story was accurately told by @Jafar in a previous thread. I'm a little sad that @Jafar doesn't post anymore because his accuracy in retelling things (while not 100%) was rather high and his take on the various personalities at The Dis were generally on point. I don't know who he is, but he had good information.

Oliver was not treated badly by Craig or Ryno. Oliver walked out on Pete because of Pete, and, in truth, I've always been a little jealous of how he did it. Craig and Oliver, in particular, were very close when they worked together. The two of them were the primary contributors of video content while he was there. There was definitely no animosity between them, and my understanding is they were very much in lock-step with one another during those days.
---

I can honestly say that I've never seen him happier. He went back to school and trained hard for the position that he has at Universal (in which he has also moved up some). He is in a very healthy relationship, and he and his boyfriend work steadily on remodeling a home they bought together in Orlando. The results have been gorgeous!
---

The trigger that made me finally call Ricky at Inside the Magic is connected to this. The story I was told was hearsay, and neither Bob nor his son are alive now to give an account of anything. But after I heard what I heard, I was going to put as much space between my son and Pete as I possibly could.
Thanks JL. I haven’t posted in a while for my own mental health but also primarily because when this went from just a silly way to speak freely about The Dis to a very real situation that had/has serious consequences in the lives and livelihoods of many, I did not feel right participating in that anymore. I still catch up from time to time though!

Reactions: 22
Thanks JL. I haven’t posted in a while for my own mental health but also primarily because when this went from just a silly way to speak freely about The Dis to a very real situation that had/has serious consequences in the lives and livelihoods of many, I did not feel right participating in that anymore. I still catch up from time to time though!
Be well! Do what you gotta do. This has been tough on a lot of us that lived it (not just gossiped about it), so I get the need to take a breath. Just know that I appreciated the light you tried to shed on things back then.

Reactions: 10
From May 8th 2014 Disunplugged Facebook page:

We'd like to welcome JeniLynn Knopp as the newest member of the DIS Team!! JeniLynn brings with her a ton of Disney knowledge, personality, and passion for the industry. Please join us in making her feel welcome!

View attachment 2570982
---
I notice there was a tame post on the DIS Boards about Jenilynn's comments on Tattle (Tattle wasn't even mentioned or her comments repeated) but that was removed within an hour. Looks like they're trying to stifle people again.
JL and the Three Bears

Reactions: 2
Be well! Do what you gotta do. This has been tough on a lot of us that lived it (not just gossiped about it), so I get the need to take a breath. Just know that I appreciated the light you tried to shed on things back then.
Thanks so much and I understand even from the short time I was personally affected. Now that things have died down I’ll try to be a little more active with facts as I know them. I’m still going to refrain from speculation and opinion though. Too many have been hurt in this and I don’t want to contribute to more pain, even when it’s about people who have hurt me.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Sending hugs to everyone who went through hell at the Dis. I’m so sorry you had to endure what you endured.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.