The DIS Unplugged #10 We’re Not Happy to be Here

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So, I'll kick it off with @imjenilynn.

Can you go way back and tell us how you became involved with The Dis, and what those early days were like? Did you see any red flags or was the environment fun and creative?

Reactions: 12
I don't know how many times I have to say Panda has his own channel and show, he won't be back to the Dis channel. Deni has launched her own patreon now, perhaps due to a pay cut leaving GKTW?

Reactions: 5
I love that JL is yere. Just throwing this out there, but @imjenilynn was the best at doing the Dis Daily Fix. Those were always a fun 5 minutes of Disney added to my day.

Reactions: 6
So, I'll kick it off with @imjenilynn.

Can you go way back and tell us how you became involved with The Dis, and what those early days were like? Did you see any red flags or was the environment fun and creative?
Yes! So...I started running into Corey at media events when I was a "mommy blogger." I had been a fan of the Dis since 2006 or 2007, so meeting him was a big deal to me. I covered these media events for other blogs, and I let Corey know that I would love to be given the opportunity to work for the Dis. That was kinda it for a while.

A few years passed. During that time, I grew my own blog, started my own webcast (which Panda was on with me), co-hosted Attractions Magazine, and became a "theme park expert" for the local Fox station in Orlando. Unfortunately, I was also going through a divorce and was going to need a better-paying job. As much fun as those other things were, I hadn't monetized any of them, and I was really worried about supporting my kids as a waitress.

I suppose the timing was a coincidence, but I received a message from a friend via Facebook asking if I'd be interested in a position at the Dis. They seemed to think there was a possibility they'd be interested in hiring me if I left Attractions Magazine. I had three mouths I was going to be feeding on my own soon, and Attractions Magazine had already told me that they were unable to give me a paid position, so I said that I would be interested. Additionally, I had always loved how the Dis seemed to give their honest opinions about things. I didn't really have that freedom at Attractions. And who can complain about medical benefits?

It didn't take long before I found myself at a dinner with Corey and Pete at Kona Cafe and discussing a potential position with the team. I had to pinch myself a few times. It really felt like I'd won the lottery.

Pete was clear that he was a "my way or the highway" person, but that really didn't bother me. It was his business. I had no problem with letting him run his business. I was just grateful to be given a chance to support my family by visiting, writing, and talking about theme parks rather than serving tequila to tables of men asking inappropriate questions.

The early days at the Dis are always good for the new person (in a slightly uncomfortable way). You are Pete's new, shiny toy. He elevates you. He love-bombs you with gifts. You get taken on an official shopping trip to the mall, where you are bought a Coach bag and whatever else strikes his fancy that day. In my case, he also sent me a large check before I even joined the team and told me he was going to give me an image makeover. More specifically, he wanted me to become the "Hillary Clinton of the Disney Community." I'm not sure why he landed on that in particular, but that is what I was told. Within my first few months, I was told to host the show for three weeks while he was gone (even though the others had been there much longer and should have been given the seat). And, in truth, all those things are the first red flags because that's not a professional environment. That is a predator setting the stage for someone to become financially, mentally, and emotionally dependent. It's also a narcissist putting pawns into position so that he can potentially play them against one another. These are the primary factors Pete needs to maintain control, and he wastes no time putting it all in place when he brings someone in.

I had slight concerns about most of these things, but you aren't given the option to say no to Pete. Even though it is unspoken, that is understood...even in the beginning. You aren't allowed to say no. This part is hard for many to understand because it sounds silly within the context of a healthy, working environment. But this wasn't a healthy, working environment. When Pete decided to give you something (an experience, a gift, money, a resort stay, I guess even a timeshare), turning him down wasn't really an option. You were expected to accept it. You were expected to show gratitude. And you got bonus points if you showed gratitude in public. I wish I could explain it better than this, but you just knew there would be consequences for you at some point if you insulted him. And if you didn't accept the thing he was giving you, you would insult him. So you went with the part of you that wanted to accept the gift, hoped there weren't strings attached, and were grateful for it.

All that being said, I loved my job during the first year. And once the team realized they could trust me, I formed really strong bonds with them (some that still hold to this day). It also gave me the flexibility that I needed as a single mom at the time. But beneath the good stuff, there was always an undertone that something wasn't right. And I immediately started to pick this up from the team when I was brought in.

There was tension from my very first dinner with the team. Pete set it up. We all met at a restaurant in downtown Orlando. It was my introduction to everyone. During the dinner, I would catch weird glances being shot across the table. They were clearly communicating with each other about stuff...just not out in the open. There was some chit-chat at the table, but most of it felt forced. I remember more awkward silence than I expected for a talkative podcast panel. It seemed odd to me then, but I get it now. I totally get it now.

At that same dinner, Pete commanded Dustin to follow him on his smoke break. The way that it was done was very "showy." Everything just kinda halted when Pete did it, and I think that was his intention. They left, and we all just sort of looked at each other for a moment. Everyone had poker faces even though it felt like his exit was meant to elicit a response. In hindsight, I'm sure they felt like they couldn't say much in front of me. They didn't know me. At the time, they didn't know what I might repeat to Pete. And I was wondering why everyone was giving off this hostage vibe, but I clearly couldn't say that to them. Ultimately, I acted like everything was normal because I wanted it to be. Sadly, in time, this did become normal...just not in the way that I had hoped.

In time, I learned that the "perks" of the job weren't just attached to strings. My whole life was attached because Pete didn't like boundaries. And because I was the sole provider, that meant the lives of my kids were attached too. For example, we were pressured to celebrate Thanksgiving with Pete. We attended the first year I worked for the Dis. There was no way that I was going to refuse my first year. In my second year, I turned the invite down, but it made me really nervous. I knew there would be a price to pay for that. All of us who did not attend were iced out at work for a bit as penance.

I finally had an epiphany. I had been given the title "Multi-Media Talent" or something like that, but it had become obvious that it wasn't a real job. I honestly felt like a character in Pete's fantasy kingdom he created to protect his ego. Knowing that the way I paid rent depended on one person's ego became a constant stress for me.

Fast forward a bit....I don't remember what year it was (2015?), but I went to D23 with them in CA. By the time I went on that trip, I already knew that I couldn't stay at the Dis. I needed to find a way out even though I also knew that it wouldn't be pretty if I did. I had already started negotiating a salary with another blog by then, and I remember asking John and Kevin for a copy of my contract during that trip. I had misplaced my copy, and I needed to know exactly what I had signed. This put John and Kevin on notice (which meant Pete would also be put on notice), but it didn't matter. Getting that copy became key in 2016.
---
It's MUCH better from the outside looking in...
You ain't kiddin'.
---
I love that JL is yere. Just throwing this out there, but @imjenilynn was the best at doing the Dis Daily Fix. Those were always a fun 5 minutes of Disney added to my day.
The Daily Fix was my favorite project that I did during my time at The Dis. I liked it even more than The Trip. And there are some fun, narcissistic behind-the-scenes stories about Pete associated with it. If you followed The Daily Fix, I'll put some of the random pieces of what should have been a standard format into place for you.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Quick follow up…who was on the team when you joined, at the awkward restaurant meeting?

Reactions: 7
Quick follow up…who was on the team when you joined, at the awkward restaurant meeting?
I clearly remember Teresa, Kathy, Craig, Shaun, and Dustin because I was nervous about making a good impression on the people I hadn’t met yet. I don’t think John and Kevin were there. I think I met them separately on the day I signed my contract. And Corey was the one who had originally contacted me and coached me prior to my interview with Pete, so I don’t remember him or Julie being there either. And that was the team. Ryno, Jackie, and Oliver were hired after me.

Reactions: 11
I clearly remember Teresa, Kathy, Craig, Shaun, and Dustin because I was nervous about making a good impression on the people I hadn’t met yet. I don’t think John and Kevin were there. I think I met them separately on the day I signed my contract. And Corey was the one who had originally contacted me and coached me prior to my interview with Pete, so I don’t remember him or Julie being there either. And that was the team. Ryno, Jackie, and Oliver were hired after me.
Jenilynn, I remember a rumor that you got reprimanded by Pete for appearing in that well made documentary about Disney vloggers. Is that true?

Reactions: 3
From May 8th 2014 Disunplugged Facebook page:

We'd like to welcome JeniLynn Knopp as the newest member of the DIS Team!! JeniLynn brings with her a ton of Disney knowledge, personality, and passion for the industry. Please join us in making her feel welcome!

1699974527136.png

---
I notice there was a tame post on the DIS Boards about Jenilynn's comments on Tattle (Tattle wasn't even mentioned or her comments repeated) but that was removed within an hour. Looks like they're trying to stifle people again.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
Jenilynn, I remember a rumor that you got reprimanded by Pete for appearing in that well made documentary about Disney vloggers. Is that true?
That is not true.

Here is what is true: I was invited to be in the documentary partially because of my journey as a Mommy Blogger prior to the Dis but mostly because of my connection to Panda (who was sort of at the helm for helping the director pick the cast). I was still pretty new to the Dis (and living in that initial grace period where I was the new toy), but Corey told me I better get the green light from Pete before accepting the invitation. I told Pete that I would make sure the director knew it needed to be in the documentary that I worked for The Dis, and Pete said it was fine. Pete never had a reason to reprimand me because he had given me permission.

Here is what is also true: The guys on the team were required to spend a lot more time with Pete, and he was much less guarded with them. So he would tell them things that he would never say to my face. I say this because one of them did tell me after the documentary was made and released that Pete was furious that the director didn't know who he was and that he hadn't been asked to be in it. But to the best of my knowledge, none of his anger was directed at me at the time.

It's possible that someone changed the story down the line. Pete likes to rewrite history to create versions that appeal to his overdeveloped sense of self. After I left the Dis, it would make sense if Pete told people that he had reprimanded me. That makes me sound subordinate. And it also makes him sound big and powerful. But I don't know if he was the origin of that rumor. What I do know is that this rumor isn't true.
---

We'd like to welcome JeniLynn Knopp as the newest member of the DIS Team!! JeniLynn brings with her a ton of Disney knowledge, personality, and passion for the industry. Please join us in making her feel welcome!

View attachment 2570982
---
I notice there was a tame post on the DIS Boards about Jenilynn's comments on Tattle (Tattle wasn't even mentioned or her comments repeated) but that was removed within an hour. Looks like they're trying to stifle people again.
Yep! This picture was actually taken in April I think. It was the day that I met John and Kevin. We had lunch at Olivia's. I signed my contract, and we took this picture on the Boardwalk to mark the occasion. And looking back, I can totally see why Pete wanted to give my image a makeover. Lol.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
That is not true.

Here is what is true: I was invited to be in the documentary partially because of my journey as a Mommy Blogger prior to the Dis but mostly because of my connection to Panda (who was sort of at the helm for helping the director pick the cast). I was still pretty new to the Dis (and living in that initial grace period where I was the new toy), but Corey told me I better get the green light from Pete before accepting the invitation. I told Pete that I would make sure the director knew it needed to be in the documentary that I worked for The Dis, and Pete said it was fine. Pete never had a reason to reprimand me because he had given me permission.

Here is what is also true: The guys on the team were required to spend a lot more time with Pete, and he was much less guarded with them. So he would tell them things that he would never say to my face. I say this because one of them did tell me after the documentary was made and released that Pete was furious that the director didn't know who he was and that he hadn't been asked to be in it. But to the best of my knowledge, none of his anger was directed at me at the time.

It's possible that someone changed the story down the line. Pete likes to rewrite history to create versions that appeal to his overdeveloped sense of self. After I left the Dis, it would make sense if Pete told people that he had reprimanded me. That makes me sound subordinate. And it also makes him sound big and powerful. But I don't know if he was the origin of that rumor. What I do know is that this rumor isn't true.
---

Yep! This picture was actually taken in April I think. It was the day that I met John and Kevin. We had lunch at Olivia's. I signed my contract, and we took this picture on the Boardwalk to mark the occasion. And looking back, I can totally see why Pete wanted to give my image a makeover. Lol.
I think you look great in that photo. If anyone needed a makeover it was the other three. I think Kevin has stuck with that hair since he was a teenager.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
---
Well, they can all go suck a lemon. That's what my dad used to tell me to say to someone who was bullying or being mean - pretty tame so I didn't get in trouble. Ah...the '80s. 🍋🍋

This is her story and her truth. She has every right to use her voice and own it.

JeniLynn, I hope in some way, this is therapeutic and perhaps cathartic for you. It's kinda crazy that a gossip site can also be a safe place for the truth. 💙💙

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Yes! So...I started running into Corey at media events when I was a "mommy blogger." I had been a fan of the Dis since 2006 or 2007, so meeting him was a big deal to me. I covered these media events for other blogs, and I let Corey know that I would love to be given the opportunity to work for the Dis. That was kinda it for a while.

A few years passed. During that time, I grew my own blog, started my own webcast (which Panda was on with me), co-hosted Attractions Magazine, and became a "theme park expert" for the local Fox station in Orlando. Unfortunately, I was also going through a divorce and was going to need a better-paying job. As much fun as those other things were, I hadn't monetized any of them, and I was really worried about supporting my kids as a waitress.

I suppose the timing was a coincidence, but I received a message from a friend via Facebook asking if I'd be interested in a position at the Dis. They seemed to think there was a possibility they'd be interested in hiring me if I left Attractions Magazine. I had three mouths I was going to be feeding on my own soon, and Attractions Magazine had already told me that they were unable to give me a paid position, so I said that I would be interested. Additionally, I had always loved how the Dis seemed to give their honest opinions about things. I didn't really have that freedom at Attractions. And who can complain about medical benefits?

It didn't take long before I found myself at a dinner with Corey and Pete at Kona Cafe and discussing a potential position with the team. I had to pinch myself a few times. It really felt like I'd won the lottery.

Pete was clear that he was a "my way or the highway" person, but that really didn't bother me. It was his business. I had no problem with letting him run his business. I was just grateful to be given a chance to support my family by visiting, writing, and talking about theme parks rather than serving tequila to tables of men asking inappropriate questions.

The early days at the Dis are always good for the new person (in a slightly uncomfortable way). You are Pete's new, shiny toy. He elevates you. He love-bombs you with gifts. You get taken on an official shopping trip to the mall, where you are bought a Coach bag and whatever else strikes his fancy that day. In my case, he also sent me a large check before I even joined the team and told me he was going to give me an image makeover. More specifically, he wanted me to become the "Hillary Clinton of the Disney Community." I'm not sure why he landed on that in particular, but that is what I was told. Within my first few months, I was told to host the show for three weeks while he was gone (even though the others had been there much longer and should have been given the seat). And, in truth, all those things are the first red flags because that's not a professional environment. That is a predator setting the stage for someone to become financially, mentally, and emotionally dependent. It's also a narcissist putting pawns into position so that he can potentially play them against one another. These are the primary factors Pete needs to maintain control, and he wastes no time putting it all in place when he brings someone in.

I had slight concerns about most of these things, but you aren't given the option to say no to Pete. Even though it is unspoken, that is understood...even in the beginning. You aren't allowed to say no. This part is hard for many to understand because it sounds silly within the context of a healthy, working environment. But this wasn't a healthy, working environment. When Pete decided to give you something (an experience, a gift, money, a resort stay, I guess even a timeshare), turning him down wasn't really an option. You were expected to accept it. You were expected to show gratitude. And you got bonus points if you showed gratitude in public. I wish I could explain it better than this, but you just knew there would be consequences for you at some point if you insulted him. And if you didn't accept the thing he was giving you, you would insult him. So you went with the part of you that wanted to accept the gift, hoped there weren't strings attached, and were grateful for it.

All that being said, I loved my job during the first year. And once the team realized they could trust me, I formed really strong bonds with them (some that still hold to this day). It also gave me the flexibility that I needed as a single mom at the time. But beneath the good stuff, there was always an undertone that something wasn't right. And I immediately started to pick this up from the team when I was brought in.

There was tension from my very first dinner with the team. Pete set it up. We all met at a restaurant in downtown Orlando. It was my introduction to everyone. During the dinner, I would catch weird glances being shot across the table. They were clearly communicating with each other about stuff...just not out in the open. There was some chit-chat at the table, but most of it felt forced. I remember more awkward silence than I expected for a talkative podcast panel. It seemed odd to me then, but I get it now. I totally get it now.

At that same dinner, Pete commanded Dustin to follow him on his smoke break. The way that it was done was very "showy." Everything just kinda halted when Pete did it, and I think that was his intention. They left, and we all just sort of looked at each other for a moment. Everyone had poker faces even though it felt like his exit was meant to elicit a response. In hindsight, I'm sure they felt like they couldn't say much in front of me. They didn't know me. At the time, they didn't know what I might repeat to Pete. And I was wondering why everyone was giving off this hostage vibe, but I clearly couldn't say that to them. Ultimately, I acted like everything was normal because I wanted it to be. Sadly, in time, this did become normal...just not in the way that I had hoped.

In time, I learned that the "perks" of the job weren't just attached to strings. My whole life was attached because Pete didn't like boundaries. And because I was the sole provider, that meant the lives of my kids were attached too. For example, we were pressured to celebrate Thanksgiving with Pete. We attended the first year I worked for the Dis. There was no way that I was going to refuse my first year. In my second year, I turned the invite down, but it made me really nervous. I knew there would be a price to pay for that. All of us who did not attend were iced out at work for a bit as penance.

I finally had an epiphany. I had been given the title "Multi-Media Talent" or something like that, but it had become obvious that it wasn't a real job. I honestly felt like a character in Pete's fantasy kingdom he created to protect his ego. Knowing that the way I paid rent depended on one person's ego became a constant stress for me.

Fast forward a bit....I don't remember what year it was (2015?), but I went to D23 with them in CA. By the time I went on that trip, I already knew that I couldn't stay at the Dis. I needed to find a way out even though I also knew that it wouldn't be pretty if I did. I had already started negotiating a salary with another blog by then, and I remember asking John and Kevin for a copy of my contract during that trip. I had misplaced my copy, and I needed to know exactly what I had signed. This put John and Kevin on notice (which meant Pete would also be put on notice), but it didn't matter. Getting that copy became key in 2016.
---

You ain't kiddin'.
---

The Daily Fix was my favorite project that I did during my time at The Dis. I liked it even more than The Trip. And there are some fun, narcissistic behind-the-scenes stories about Pete associated with it. If you followed The Daily Fix, I'll put some of the random pieces of what should have been a standard format into place for you.
This is reading like there will be multiple parts to this story, and I am here for it.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
That is not true.

---

I can look out my OKW Villa window and see where you were standing right now. The weather looks much better on that day. :cry:
Thanks for straightening that rumor out for me.

Reactions: 7
So what were the events that led to your leaving the DIS? I seems like there were probably many ☹

Reactions: 6

So much of your story of how new employees were treated really ties into what Sean said! He mentioned all those things, such as the love bombing/gifts/trips etc... Pitting members of the team against each other as well. It is such a manipulative move to cause strife in an organization; therefore the team can't work together to call out the injustices being done by the boss. It causes such a me vs. them environment with Pete pulling the strings for his entertainment.

Jenilynn,

Here's where it became glaringly apparent to me (and likely anyone who watched The Dis) that you fell out of Pete’s good graces. It was also a cringeworthy glimpse into how he would abuse his staff:

There was one episode of the DIS where Teresa joined Pete on the panel, but you were not there that day. During the show, Pete went off on Teresa in a truly ugly fashion about how much he hated how you would sign off "The Trip" podcast (which Teresa road shotgun on), which I believe was "Trip Out."

Anyway, seemingly out of nowhere, Pete started mocking you and seething to Teresa about your catchphrase. Teresa was clearly caught off guard and uncomfortable with the blindsided attack and could say nothing but “Why are you yelling at me? Tell her.”

Which Pete promised he would.

JL, I assume Teresa told you about this outburst and that you probably went back and watched that episode of The Dis:
Did you?
And what did you think and feel after watching your boss attempt to devalue you in front of your coworkers and his viewers?
Did you ever speak to him about this incident?
What role did that specific piece of cruelty play in your leaving?

It was abusive to both you and Teresa, but I imagine it was particularly hurtful for you to watch him demonstrate such vitriol for your passion project - and you personally.

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.