The DIS Unplugged #10 We’re Not Happy to be Here

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've said it once before, but I believe Rufio's Ghost and Jafar deserve as much credit as anyone for bringing to light some of the issues surrounding the DIS. They were some of the first ones who came here with stories about their interactions with people in the DIS circle. Their stories were credible and laid the foundation for most of these threads and eventually what happened with Sean Faulk posting here.

Not a shot at JL or anyone else, but its easy to come here now and tell stories, once the Emperor has been shown to have no clothes and has been banished to New Jersey (or wherever he is), but Rufio and Jafar were telling their stories long before that and had nothing to gain. Good for them.
I want to echo the first half of this post. Thank you @rufiosghost and @Jafar. I do not know either of you personally, but I wish I did.

And while I’m not offended by the second half (shot intended or not), I disagree with it. It is not easy to openly talk about this when you lived it—no matter what part of the “reveal” we are in—especially not for Sean and Dustin. Also, some of us didn’t know this site existed until other ex-Dis began posting. And there is the small problem with not being able to register for an account when registration is closed so often.

Please applaud these two posters. I certainly am. But I don’t think you should dismiss the struggle of posters that follow them.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
And while I’m not offended by the second half (shot intended or not), I disagree with it. It is not easy to openly talk about this when you lived it—no matter what part of the “reveal” we are in—especially not for Sean and Dustin. Also, some of us didn’t know this site existed until other ex-Dis began posting. And there is the small problem with not being able to register for an account when registration is closed so often.

Please applaud these two posters. I certainly am. But I don’t think you should dismiss the struggle of posters that follow them.
Yes, I agree with you 100% here, JL. Respect to those who stood up first and couldn't take it any longer, but no shade to those who are speaking up now and clearly have been through tit. No one owes this board their story at all let alone as it's happening or right after. With every story I read about Pete and his reign of terror, I just realize that he used like every single tactic that an abusive partner uses against their victim and he did it with a whole group. He kept them so off balance and afraid of his wild card ass that even when they left, they didn't want to speak out for fear of him retaliating...because when they were with him, he would always retaliate in one way or another. That must take a psychological toll, one you may not realize was paid until long after the threat is gone.

Which isn't to say that some folks didn't do underhanded things that hurt others in the midst of the Pete chaos. There is blame to share for sure...but there's a lot of shame involved in staying in an abusive situation far longer than you know logically after the fact that you should have. You feel like your brain has failed to protect you and things that you thought you'd for sure do if someone was abusive, you don't do because they're so good at manipulation and coercion and control. It's really scary when you think about just how horrible it is and can be.

The real win is getting out at all. Some folks still haven't.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I feel for those that haven't. I know we snark on them a lot (I'm talking about Craig and Ryno in particular), but finding a new job in a specific market isn't easy. I don't think any of us expect them to walk away and work at Target, especially Craig with a really young child. I do think they should branch off and do their own thing. Frankly I'm sick that the profits of all this are still lining John and Kevin's pockets when it's become evident that John is not immune to any of this and likely largely looked away so that his potentially shady accounting practices didn't get found out and so that he could continue to take trips as he pleases.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Today's podcast: Holy hell that opening shot with Erica and Julie. Lovely. (I'm on record as being a Julie fan and I mean, I wouldn't kick Erica out of bed).

Reactions: 1
Today's podcast: Holy hell that opening shot with Erica and Julie. Lovely. (I'm on record as being a Julie fan and I mean, I wouldn't kick Erica out of bed).
I breathed a sigh of relief when J&K didn't pop up and it's lovely to see Julie.

Reactions: 1
Craig: Then we send out Erica with a 21-gun salute. Or however we get rid of people on this show. In the past it was just erase-them-and-never-talk-about-them-again.
Julie: You actually get to say goodbye!

• Haha
  • Heart

All fair points.

Reactions: 3
Craig: Then we send out Erica with a 21-gun salute. Or however we get rid of people on this show. In the past it was just erase-them-and-never-talk-about-them-again.
Julie: You actually get to say goodbye!
That was about 26 minutes in if anyone wants to see it. My opinion of Craig has gone up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
I'm pretty sure Julie got a full time teaching job in their district, so it's nice to see her back!

Reactions: 3
@imjenilynn I think you were able to 'say goodbye' on an episode of the Universal show. How did that come about? Did you ask to do it or did they ask you to do it to try to avoid the criticism of another person leaving without any explanation? Did you see or speak to Pete again after that meeting? If he had to find out from his lawyer that you didn't have a non-compete clause, I'm guessing he threatened to sue you and/or ITM?
Wanted to let you know that I will circle around to this when I have a little more time (so maybe not this week). It is a good question because it will illustrate what happened to people when the queen cried, "Off with their heads!"

With the way people are saying Craig handled Erica's send-off today, though, it looks like he's at least been given the room to change that. I'm so glad to hear it.

• Heart
Wanted to let you know that I will circle around to this when I have a little more time (so maybe not this week). It is a good question because it will illustrate what happened to people when the queen cried, "Off with their heads!"

With the way people are saying Craig handled Erica's send-off today, though, it looks like he's at least been given the room to change that. I'm so glad to hear it.
Thanks JL, I so appreciate reading your perspective on everything and it brings even more pieces of the puzzle together. Don't worry about how long a post is, I enjoy the detail as it really provides context for what you went through. My heartfelt gratitude to you for having the courage to come forward and share these moments. All of the revelations so far have been deeply troubling and sad.

One thing I noticed was that much of what you have shared so far has in fact reinforced what Tyler Crouch of the Disneyland DIS has said publicly and it all makes me even more disgusted with those who remain, especially John. Your admission that everyone enabled the toxic behavior and allowed it to persist in a place where no one trusted one another and were scared someone might "out" a persons true feelings to Pete is clearly the glue that kept the awfulness happening for so long.

Looking forward to reading more from you. Your honesty and candor is refreshing.

Reactions: 14
I thought farewell for Erika was nice. I was amused by the fact that she said one of her most memorable moments during her time there was when the went to Pete's house to remove the podcasting equipment. She said it was a cathartic bonding experience for them all. I would have love to been a fly on the wall that day.

Reactions: 18
@imjenilynn I think you were able to 'say goodbye' on an episode of the Universal show. How did that come about? Did you ask to do it or did they ask you to do it to try to avoid the criticism of another person leaving without any explanation? Did you see or speak to Pete again after that meeting? If he had to find out from his lawyer that you didn't have a non-compete clause, I'm guessing he threatened to sue you and/or ITM?
I found time between brining the turkey and making the cranberry sauce to answer these questions. Again, taking them one-by-one below:

*As you've heard, one of Pete's toxic traits was being manipulative. He would reframe his wickedness as generosity to get what he wanted from you while appearing charitable. After telling me he was firing me for stealing, he told me that he would allow me to say goodbye on the show as if he was doing me a favor that I didn't deserve. The thing is, though, I'm not stupid. I knew exactly what this was about.

He had regularly been called out by the viewers for never addressing Shaun's sudden disappearance. He didn't like the way people saw through his dismissive silence. It showed his hand a bit because you can't claim to be the boss that everyone dreams of working for when people think you unjustifiably fire your employees.

I told him that saying goodbye on the show wasn't necessary. He said, "You can make up whatever reason you want for leaving. The company won't refute it." I said, "Nah. I'm good. I'm not bothered if people think I did something wrong. We can just part ways here." You could tell that wasn't what he wanted to hear, but he said nothing.

It must have been the following week I was told that I was required to attend the Universal Show and give a goodbye. I said that I couldn't because I was already scheduled for my first day at my next job, which was true. I was told that because I had resigned, I had to give The Dis two weeks. When I clarified I hadn't resigned, I was fired, I was told that Pete might cut off my "severance" if I didn't show up, and no one wanted that. Long story short, I had to cancel my first job opportunity with Disney and was worried that would hurt my chances of getting more jobs with them. It wasn't bad enough that I was framed for theft and turned out as a single mom. I now had to make covering for Pete a priority even if it cost me a chance at employment.

I did what I had to do. I canceled. My chance at Disney wouldn't work if I didn't have Pete financing it anyway. There was no way around it, so I showed up for the Universal show. Anyone who watched saw a very weird dynamic in the room during housekeeping when I said I would be leaving. Oliver was silent. Ryno aimed for laughs. Craig got emotional, and I sort of cut him off and said, "We should push on with this show." They also saw me hijack his goodbye speech at the end. As much as I love Craig, I was not going to give Pete the satisfaction of seeing me go soft. And if Craig kept on, I was going to break and go soft.

The whole thing was wrong on so many levels. It was wrong to jeopardize my opportunity to move beyond The Dis. It was wrong to force me to go on-air when I was in pain, and it was wrong to put the Universal team in that position with me as well. But this is what happens when there is a bully calling the shots.

I know that during my time at The Dis, I didn't appeal to some viewers because they interpreted my behavior as bitchy or condescending. It's been stated here in previous threads that I believed I was "better than" if I remember correctly. I'm hoping this brings some clarity to those who felt that way. That was just me trying to keep my chin up and hold onto my dignity in front of a tormentor who got his jollies from regularly seeing people crumble under his persecution. That was me trying to make sure he didn't have the upper hand.

*In case you haven't picked up from the story above, I did not see or speak to Pete again after my dismissal. He is a bully, but he is also too much of a coward to look his savagery in the eye. He had my co-workers do the dirty work that followed for him. I didn't and still don't hold that against them. Again, it's complicated, but I know that they felt like they didn't have a choice.

*I was told by the people that I kept in touch with that Pete called his lawyer after I released my Inside the Magic announcement. I was told that he was livid and ready to prosecute me to the fullest extent that he could, but his lawyer said, "Nope. Can't do it." And I was also told that after the call with his lawyer, my name was never brought up again. I imagine he didn't want the reminder that he didn't have the upper hand anymore. I did, and I don't think the smile could be wiped off my face when I got that confirmation. Mission accomplished.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 37
I wasn't a fan of Jenilynn's. She had such a strange energy. Now that we know the real story, it all makes sense. Not that it matters to her, but I'd like to apologize for how I felt. I admire her courage for telling her real story. I wish her all the best in the future.

Reactions: 11
I wasn't a fan of Jenilynn's. She had such a strange energy. Now that we know the real story, it all makes sense. Not that it matters to her, but I'd like to apologize for how I felt. I admire her courage for telling her real story. I wish her all the best in the future.
Thank you for understanding.

Reactions: 7
I don't know if JL can or wants to answer re: other Dis members but I'm so curious why Craig still works for DUT/The Dis. Craig seems to have a good head on his shoulders and has talent & skills behind the camera but he's remained in that toxic stew of an environment. I assume he wanted job stability while he and Kylie were going through IVF and now that he has a son he's being responsible about providing for his family but surely other theme park blogs/YT channels etc would jump at hiring Craig. I wouldn't be surprised if he had contacts within Disney or Universal who could recommend him for a position which matched his skills. I truly hope Craig breaks free and realizes how much happier and creative he can be elsewhere

Ryno, Teresa & Jackie can all pound sand. Three big virtue signaling phony hypocrites

Reactions: 8
I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall when it comes to Teresa. Clearly her BIL Walter is no longer married to Pete, but she hangs around for the job I guess? It seemed like she hung close to Pete long after their separation. Someone mentioned distancing her by getting her to the welcome center so she wasn’t around as much. She obviously gets clients from the show. I’m sure at this point it’s easier for her to turn a blind eye to maintain her livelihood knowing damn well he’s a creep.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.