Slopalong: Cooking with Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Notmycat dear heart would you mind sharing the recipe for the banana, tea and chickpea curry from A Year in 120 Recipes? I am interested in seeing if it was tweaked when it went into the book. Thank(space)you x

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Morning all, thanks to @That Forensic Man for adding to the wiki

This next recipe is from the royal Marsden cancer cookbook, the tagline of the book is "nutritious recipes for during and after cancer treatment to share with friends and family"[...].

[...]however by the picture that accompanies it, is not really fair to people dealing with cancer as they have enough to deal with, without looking at the bowl of red slop with some green peas.
I showed the photo of this recipe to a cancer survivor friend of mine, who replied with:
"That would just remind me of my cancer with peas added"

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
Any Irish fraus know where I could get tinned chicken in white sauce? Apparently the chicken was in Aldi 2 years ago but it wasn't in the one I went to this morning. Closest I can find so far are chicken meatballs or soup
Does she really throw away the white sauce? She should try ~reverse engineering~ it so she can finally figure out how to make a bechamel.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
I’m actually tempted by the rhubarb and custard pancakes. But I might wait to see the slopalong result before I commit 😂
I am going to follow it to the letter, dear heart, so you will be able to learn from the professional chef and food writer's my mistakes

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
I am enjoying the way some Fraus are trying to find a recipe that might be edible, and then some are looking for most gopping thing they can find.

• Haha
Reactions: 60
Any Irish fraus know where I could get tinned chicken in white sauce? Apparently the chicken was in Aldi 2 years ago but it wasn't in the one I went to this morning. Closest I can find so far are chicken meatballs or soup
Tesco, sainsburys, Asda, Morrisons all list it

Reactions: 5
@thatforensicman - I've tidied up the table for you in the wiki so that all the recipes are dynamically hyperlinked, and now all the info displays properly, including the last column with the ratings (v important)!

I must say all the slops sound horrible - no wonder I was never tempted to buy a Jack book.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
@thatforensicman - I've tidied up the table for you in the wiki so that all the recipes are dynamically hyperlinked, and now all the info displays properly, including the last column with the ratings (v important)!

I must say all the slops sound horrible - no wonder I was never tempted to buy a Jack book.
Thank(space)you dear heart, looks loads better 🤗
Now I see how to do that I'll probably do something similar with the other two tables later (monkey see monkey do)
If you want to inflict a slop on someone see a certain slop made add it to requests!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Morning all, thanks to @That Forensic Man for adding to the wiki

This next recipe is from the royal Marsden cancer cookbook, the tagline of the book is "nutritious recipes for during and after cancer treatment to share with friends and family", the recipe is located in there are during treatments part of the book in the main meals section.

This was possibly published during the Allegra years so Leggy possibly had some input into its development, however by the picture that accompanies it, is not really fair to people dealing with cancer as they have enough to deal with, without looking at the bowl of red slop with some green peas.
Eughh. I actually like barley “risotto” AND beetroot. But methinks not together

Reactions: 11
Thanks dear heart x

It really was inedible. So so so sweet with no flavour and gristly chunks.

On the new scoring scale is 1/5 Dire.
Thank you for your service to the greater slop and creating something so horrifying it lives rent free in my head <3

@That Forensic Man Stretchy hummus is here: https://tattle.life/threads/jack-monroe-342-dostoevsky-rice-encyclopaedia.31769/post-10776563

I can't find the fried banana skin porridge, but hopefully another frau can 🔺 it :)

• Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
Tesco Ireland, I can't check it as t the site keeps going to UK on me, I'm an NI frau

@SmolWarrior Banana tea and chickpea curry

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
<rubs eyes>
So, we're to boil pre-cooked tinned tatties and carrots in water for 10 mins? I feel nauseous.
Quoting myself like a ninny, but the recipe makes no sense at all. Is the spinach going in the pan back on the heat? Surely once you add the egg and the flour, you've got a cacky omelette. When does it get combined with the disintegrated root veg? Please send sensos.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
it did cross my mind. But as the only people who have ever liked a Jack Monroe recipe are Jack herself, and apparently SB (who declares it all ‘soo delicious, mamapapa) then on the balance of probabilities a reckon we’ll be ok.
That lad’s scared out of his tin that he’s going to lose his mum.

Valorous ninnies, I salute you all. I’m only here to see your sieves so am awed by the bonus crap hand tats and binders. Superb work. Reading the thread so far you’re hit already by the recurrence of things missing from ingredients lists that turn up in the method, vice versus with mystery lemon juice (Support Lemon Juice for Bad Days?) and the blatant wtf disparity between recipe and pic. I realised this morning that the missing ingredient is sat on my spices shelf. Check your cupboards for cruets, you might have it too. This way to seven book glory.

C9E1AE74-7F68-4C34-8F9B-39B6E8073A80.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 41
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.