Jack Monroe #342 Dostoevsky rice encyclopaedia

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How on earth is she supposed to get to Lidl you silly sausage?! Harold LEFT and took the big car with him. Besides, that would only remind her of the halcyon days and romantic dates strolling the middle aisles whilst being deliciously ordinary.
The homophobic old bastard has probably got her barred because of her glorious technicolour (lights on).

• Haha
Reactions: 39
After all the recent Jacks, I think Heatwave Chef Jack might be the worst!

Long may her twitter remain unprofessional cause I don't think I could take much more of the Prunes or Sucky Snacks.
Apols for Too Much Information, but high heat has an unfortunate impact on my digestive system.

To eat anything prune based would be tsunami invoking.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 38
Oh lads it was really bad.

Started with a can of very high quality chickpeas from the corner shop when I took the dog for a stroll round the village green. The cat scared me when I was taking this so apols for the worst photo in history.

Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 19.23.39.png

Would also like to note that I didn't use the whole can because I didn't want to be wasteful, so the other half have gone into a couscous salad with blanched red onion, fresh chilli, tomatoes, cucumber, garlic and roasted aubergine. Because I enjoy foods with texture and flavour.

Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 19.24.16.png

She doesn't specify how much mayonnaise in proportion to chickpeas, so I guessed. The aquafaba loomed in the background.

Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 19.25.14.png

I began my first blend without any aquafaba.

Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 19.26.31.png

Because I'm terrible I did actually try some at this early stage and have to say that it was just as you'd expect from the following picture: gritty mayonnaise with a heavy dose of chickpea and self-loathing. I blended on.

Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 19.27.58.png

Again, it was just a very mayo-y chickpea purée, so I decided at this point I would try adding some aquafaba. I've made good vegan mayonnaise with aquafaba before, so I was hopeful.

It did look like absolute dogshit though.

Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 19.30.10.png

But, we blend on, boats against the current and all that. I had zero confidence in this recipe to begin with but fraus, I was disappointed.

Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 19.31.20.png

Honestly the most astonishingly bad thing I've made. This is neither stretchy, nor is it hummus. I would describe it as a wet chickpea mayo. The addition of the aquafaba did make it less mayo-y, but only on first taste; the aftertaste was appalling. It didn't have any of the lovely tahini, garlic or lemon flavours that you might get in a homemade hummus. Did have flavours of what I imagine a chicken's arse tastes like, though, so if that's your thing then fire on in.

It also slopped off the spoon. It's got the texture of a bog.

Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 19.34.03.png

I was going to save it for Mr Owl's return from the beach to get his reaction for you all but I think I love him too much to subject him to it.

Jack's a menace of the first water because this was rank. I'm having wine.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 163
Kemi Badenoch flipped burgers.
Jack, Jack, political activist Jack, where are you?

• Haha
Reactions: 28
dia=giphy]3o6gEc43BWFK5BPlPmedia]

what the hell is this supposed to be
One of her foods has escaped.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 26
Stretchy hummus makes me think of the slime the kids were into a couple of years ago, usually made from saline solution and shaving foam. I don't want to eat it.
I'm obviously a weird little pixie (sorry, lil pixie) because stretchy hummus makes me think of something much cruder
stretchy hymen😳
- I'm so very sorry, I shall sit in the corner and hang my head in shame, but I can't help it. It's made even worse when someone mentions it again.😬😬😬

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 26

Started with a can of very high quality chickpeas from the corner shop when I took the dog for a stroll round the village green. The cat scared me when I was taking this so apols for the worst photo in history.

View attachment 1427451

Would also like to note that I didn't use the whole can because I didn't want to be wasteful, so the other half have gone into a couscous salad with blanched red onion, fresh chilli, tomatoes, cucumber, garlic and roasted aubergine. Because I enjoy foods with texture and flavour.

View attachment 1427453

She doesn't specify how much mayonnaise in proportion to chickpeas, so I guessed. The aquafaba loomed in the background.

View attachment 1427459

View attachment 1427462

Because I'm terrible I did actually try some at this early stage and have to say that it was just as you'd expect from the following picture: gritty mayonnaise with a heavy dose of chickpea and self-loathing. I blended on.

View attachment 1427466

Again, it was just a very mayo-y chickpea purée, so I decided at this point I would try adding some aquafaba. I've made good vegan mayonnaise with aquafaba before, so I was hopeful.

View attachment 1427473

But, we blend on, boats against the current and all that. I had zero confidence in this recipe to begin with but fraus, I was disappointed.

View attachment 1427480

Honestly the most astonishingly bad thing I've made. This is neither stretchy, nor is it hummus. I would describe it as a wet chickpea mayo. The addition of the aquafaba did make it less mayo-y, but only on first taste; the aftertaste was appalling. It didn't have any of the lovely tahini, garlic or lemon flavours that you might get in a homemade hummus. Did have flavours of what I imagine a chicken's arse tastes like, though, so if that's your thing then fire on in.

View attachment 1427490

I was going to save it for Mr Owl's return from the beach to get his reaction for you all but I think I love him too much to subject him to it.

0/10 for edibility
10/10 for effort
12/10 for Gatsby

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 56

View attachment 1427451

View attachment 1427453

View attachment 1427459

View attachment 1427462

View attachment 1427466

View attachment 1427473

View attachment 1427480

View attachment 1427490

Thank(space)you for taking one for the team. Enjoy the couscous - you deserve it!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41

View attachment 1427451

View attachment 1427453

View attachment 1427459

View attachment 1427462

View attachment 1427466

View attachment 1427473

View attachment 1427480

View attachment 1427490

You took one for the team there. Have a sucky snack as your prize. That ummmm mixture looks like it could be repurposed as a wall filler.

• Haha
Reactions: 34

View attachment 1427451

View attachment 1427453

View attachment 1427459

View attachment 1427462

View attachment 1427466

View attachment 1427473

View attachment 1427480

View attachment 1427490

That'll be cracking for putting up wallpaper. 👍

• Haha
Reactions: 32

View attachment 1427451

View attachment 1427453

View attachment 1427459

View attachment 1427462

View attachment 1427466

View attachment 1427473

View attachment 1427480

View attachment 1427490

Bravo! I admire your dedication to the cause! 👏 Won't comment on that sloppy :poop: (actually, I will - from memory, it looks like baby porridge) but your salad sounds wonderful! :love: Enjoy your well-deserved wine! x

• Haha
  • Heart
1. She's claiming Content as some sort of therapy/assistance dog
2. She's going to develop an ailment/disease that requires an assistance dog. Like cataracts or something equally obscure that she hasn't already adopted
3. She got confused and just thought it was a dog symbol. Like when she forgot that the book about church Suppers that she read cover to cover was from America, not Eastern Europe.
I feel like I say this at least once a thread but Georgiagate will never not be funny. I have an extra hoot when I hear Midnight Train to Georgia - TOOT TOOT!

It’s up there with thread 31 for me. Bangin!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 62
Bravo! I admire your dedication to the cause! 👏 Won't comment on that sloppy :poop: (actually, I will - from memory, it looks like baby porridge) but your salad sounds wonderful! :love: Enjoy your well-deserved wine! x
Do you think it would make the review of not making your family tit their pants or throwing up, because that's the aim right?

• Haha
Kemi Badenoch flipped burgers.
Jack, Jack, political activist Jack, where are you?
Ah, but has she sent a video of herself in the leadership debate to her old burger boss with a passive aggressive note? If not, then she’s not Jacking properly. Nul point.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.