Slopalong: Cooking with Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
“Pour in the tea (without the teabag)” 🤪 wow thanks for that Jack!

I am so glad I discovered this thread Fraus, you’re all doing sterling work. I had to stop grunking the main threads as it took up too much time, and now only read the top posts on each thread, but this new thread is a real treat. Thank you!

I may join in sometime if I’m feeling brave! In the meantime, go well, pals.

Reactions: 36
So when are others planning to do the slop-along? I'm going for Monday as i have groceries being delivered over the weekend but I have a couple of things to use up before that.

I'll upload my performative stock take list later and fart about online as part of my 100 hour week.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
So when are others planning to do the slop-along? I'm going for Monday as i have groceries being delivered over the weekend but I have a couple of things to use up before that.

I'll upload my performative stock take list later and fart about online as part of my 100 hour week.
Im going shopping tomorrow so will get my ingredients then. The corned beef bolognaise sounds so disgusting I just have to make it.

• Haha
Reactions: 30

Probably Monday or Tuesday for me!

Reactions: 12
It's like her purpose in life is to remove all flavour and joy from food.
One of the great unsolved mysteries of life - how can JM, who very very obviously cannot cook, be hailed as a budget *cook*? I've encountered untested/ridiculous recipes before (I am looking at you, Gordon), but she truly wins the prize.

Reactions: 20
I am at my partners parents this weekend (the "outlaws" as Jack calls hers after dating for a week :rolleyes:.) Should I inflict the peach brick on them, or would that be too cruel?

I do generally cook for them while I am there, so when I am busy in the kitchen I could busy myself a little more. I could report their reaction, however they are so polite, I am 100% certain they would say it was delicious, but wouldn't be able to eat any more. It would then be parcelled up in foil for me to take home.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
@MancBee I think the big question is do you like your in laws/outlaws? (If you been with your partner for a day, they are your in laws). If you don't like them, I think you should make it as special treat 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 27

Mine will be Wednesday I think, I never go to Asda but I’m tempted to for pure authenticity and apparently it’s only ten minutes longer to walk than it is to get the tram, I could dig out my traveling backpack and go full Jack 🤟🏼

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
Mine will be Wednesday I think, I never go to Asda but I’m tempted to for pure authenticity and apparently it’s only ten minutes longer to walk than it is to get the tram, I could dig out my traveling backpack and go full Jack 🤟🏼
I’m thinking I need to do an Asda trip too… I need that authentic tinned mince!

MrEm is going to think I’ve finally cracked.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Handy tip from someone who is not Jack: I blitz up leftover veg from a roast and freeze in portions. Then I can have bubble and squeak whenever I want, without ever having to inflict that godforsaken sounding shite on myself.

@SmolWarrior Banana tea and chickpea curry
I have reached peak Jackeurysm.
Coriander OR mint OR parsley??
Mandarins OR peaches/apricots?? (I will give her peaches or apricots)
Please make her stop! Flavours. They exist. Cooking isn’t just mashing random foods together and then holding your nose whilst you force it down.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
I’m currently sat in Asda car park with a napping toddler in the back of the car. When he awakes, I will be going in, armed with my rucksack, forensic stock take and list. I am wearing cargo pants (primark, £5) and bright orange trainers. I took a sexy selfie in the mirror before I left home. I am prepared to spend hours trawling the aisles for cheap produce as Jack apparently does (before coming home with a bag of uninspiring Smart Price goods that are mainly found down one aisle). I have my own Big Car so I don’t need to rely on a ‘friend’ to pick me up. I will then be ready to cook my slop.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 67

I’m doing mine next weekend as my ex (who LEFT - actually I left her because she is very much the Jack in this scenario) will have the kids and they won’t even eat my moussaka (because fussy) so I definitely won’t inflict Jack’s version on them.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Handy tip from someone who is not Jack: I blitz up leftover veg from a roast and freeze in portions. Then I can have bubble and squeak whenever I want, without ever having to inflict that godforsaken sounding shite on myself.

I have reached peak Jackeurysm.
Coriander OR mint OR parsley??
Mandarins OR peaches/apricots?? (I will give her peaches or apricots)
Please make her stop! Flavours. They exist. Cooking isn’t just mashing random foods together and then holding your nose whilst you force it down.
That's where you're wrong, tender one

1667563020781.png

• Haha
Reactions: 39
I'll do mine sometime next week. I want to make the Turkey Batman, which involves manoeuvring raw turkey mince into a cookie cutter. I may need a couple of days of playing Eye of the Tiger on repeat to build up the courage.

I know another Frau is doing it, but I'm also tempted to try the anchovy butter. There is a South African brand of anchovy paste that was one of my dad's favourite foods, and I grew up often having it on toast. We never mixed it with pasta and lentils though (why would you?). Sadly it is illegal in the EU, and the local brands don't quite do it for me. I want my ovaries to groan, damn it.

• Haha
Reactions: 35

Thursday for me as I'm BUSY until then. Still haven't worked out how I'm going to explain this to my sister (who lives with me 🔺 ).

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I would humbly request that those of you who live with other people play it completely straight. "Just trying a new recipe, what do you think?" We need impartial reviewers!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 45
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.