Slopalong: Cooking with Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A thread to document and discuss the challenges and chaos of making one of Jack Monroe’s many ‘recipes’.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 54
Link to the wiki, feel free to edit or tag me and I can do the honours ✍

We need to 🔺 recipes for:
Vegan crackling
Afterbirth oats

And allocate the following tributes/requests from:
@Whaa? Veg peeling loaf (extra points if the creator tastes it)
@Nottonightbabe Mandarin and yogurt pasta
@Notmycat Eggy cup

Recipe ideas:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Could someone who’s more intelligent than me please put my rinsed hoops on the done list? 😅 don’t want anyone else to waste their precious time and hoops with it.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
Link to the wiki, feel free to edit or tag me and I can do the honours ✍

We need to 🔺 recipes for:
Vegan crackling
Afterbirth oats

And allocate the following tributes/requests from:
@Whaa? Veg peeling loaf (extra points if the creator tastes it)
@Nottonightbabe Mandarin and yogurt pasta
@Notmycat Eggy cup

Recipe ideas:
Can see Vegan crackling online, but not one from Jack. Think it's still on her to do list?

ETA, from Kachoooo's Coming Soon - vegan crackling ✅ confirmed to be rice paper April 2022 (not a JM original - stolen off interwebs.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
I believe the afterbirth oats are a version of ‘microwave lemon curd and blueberry porridge’ from bad food and even worse days (ok ok Good Food for Bad Days). I know she states it’s a one pan recipe and the book says use a microwave but they are the same idea, I think.
Yes, indeed I know you’ll all be shocked to learn it’s a re-hash of an existing slop but there we are...and she’s done some tricksy presentation on the Twitter photo because in the book the whole lot is stirred in together but the photo she posted on Twitter shows the porridge must have been prepared in another vessel and plopped on top of the afterbirth.
Happy to be corrected, when she finally gets back from the school run and publishes it, of course

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 30
Been grunking old threads watching all the previous slopalongs and this is a great (since deleted) one I haven’t seen before for anyone still looking for something!
What a sorry state this is
980A5CB6-98BE-4150-9B08-B4E08477F89E.jpeg

Edit: this one is evening better! STEWED STEAK ALERT
76315DE9-B4B2-47E2-96B6-0FA68FC47F95.jpeg

D7FB54D5-CA6C-42B2-8D7A-A1FCF39FB7FE.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 34
I would,like the record to show that I made toffee apple oats, they most certainly were not “Hotes Oats” they were oats Hotes made. My own recipe three ingredient porridge is beyond reproach, does not attack or achieve sentience. Thankyou.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 74
I was gonna change mine to the horrific salmon paste pasta from Lorraine but I don't think I can face it.

My OH is working Sunday so I might craft my poo then.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 58
I was gonna change mine to the horrific salmon paste pasta from Lorraine but I don't think I can face it.

My OH is working Sunday so I might craft my poo then.
Do the salmon paste tender, do!

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 32
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 38
I have to be honest that I haven’t paid much attention to Jack as always felt something was off.
I’ve just thrown up in my mouth reading this recipe intro.

It also feels a little safe.
She’s saying words she doesn’t understand. Eponymous does not work in this sentence.

• Haha
Reactions: 40
SLOPATHON

I'm still trying to catch up...I'm ignoring the news and personal hygiene, because this is far more important.

If no-one has done the rancid salad bag botulism pesto, I'll do that.

If that has been taken already, pick something for me. I'm veggie/awkward in various ways, but Old Harold here is a human dustbin, which will come in very handy, so anything!

xx

ETA - think I've done a chaos. Asked if this should be moved to the right thread, thankyou

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 36
SLOPATHON

I'm still trying to catch up...I'm ignoring the news and personal hygiene, because this is far more important.

If no-one has done the rancid salad bag botulism pesto, I'll do that.

If that has been taken already, pick something for me. I'm veggie/awkward in various ways, but Old Harold here is a human dustbin, which will come in very handy, so anything!

xx

ETA - think I've done a chaos. Asked if this should be moved to the right thread, thankyou
Quoting myself as a ninny as I de-chaos. Thanks Mods. Have updated the Wiki. Will be doing the gram flour pasta and use me for anything sauce because a) it might be okay b) it damn well won't be as nice as the pasta sauce I make.

Thinking of doing a a Jamie £1 wonder as a comparison.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I have to be honest that I haven’t paid much attention to Jack as always felt something was off.
I’ve just thrown up in my mouth reading this recipe intro.

It also feels a little safe.
“Finely slice the aubergine”. That suggests - to me, I mean, I’m not a chef - slices of maybe a couple of millimetres’ thickness. Thinner than I’d slice a cucumber for my kids. Just why? Surely, if you’re going to blitz it, then chunks of aubergine (maybe with the skin off, IDK, again, not a chef) would work fine? It’s all just so baffling.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.