New baby and post birth advice #56

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We had the first settling session at nursery this morning and I stayed. Started off awful, little one absolutely sobbing and wouldnā€™t let me put him down. He was literally clinging onto me like a koala bear which heā€™s never done before šŸ«  Heā€™d eased up by the end but has now been awake 5 hours and fighting his nap so thatā€™s fun šŸ™ƒ

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Going to look round our first nursery today. In my mind this is my favourite but donā€™t want to go in with rose tinted glassesšŸ˜¬
Can anyone help/advise any questions I should be asking?! Donā€™t want to miss anything obvious!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Going to look round our first nursery today. In my mind this is my favourite but donā€™t want to go in with rose tinted glassesšŸ˜¬
Can anyone help/advise any questions I should be asking?! Donā€™t want to miss anything obvious!
I'm a big believer in going with how your gut feels about a place - you'll get a vibe straight away. A lot of places will tell you what you need to know anyway, but don't forget to ask about how they're managing the new free childcare hours, what the nap routines are and what you need to provide. Those were the big three for us.

LO had his first proper settling session today. Apparently he whimpered for a few minutes when he saw me walk away (their baby room is kind of in a conservatory so windows all the way around) but was quickly consoled and soon playing away. What a boy.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Think about whatā€™s important to you for baby hinch to have access toā€¦ ask if they can describe a typical day/couple of days.
Are there scheduled nap times? (Common for older children to go down all at the same time either before or after lunch),
Whats their outside space like?
Do they take them for trips out?
Where do they go, how often?
whatā€™s included in the fees?
What do you need to provide?
Do their fees cover all hours they open? (Our old nursery has an early bird fee for before 8am/and a late collection for past 6pm).
Do all the rooms have natural light?
Whatā€™s staff turnover like?
How many children do they have in each room?
Are they very structured or do they follow curious play?
Ask them to describe drop off/collection

A few ideas off the top of my head, youā€™ll know when you visit if you like it. I went in one and couldnā€™t wait to leave as it was a lovely setting but the atmosphere was so cold and clinical it gave me the heebie jeebies- I wasnā€™t convinced anyone was having fun in there!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Can anyone share some wisdom with napsā€¦ Mini Roll is 3 months on Sunday and starting to resist daytime naps more and more which is having a knock on effect on his night sleep. Until now his naps have always been in the living room with noise, day light etc in a Moses basket or in the pram on a walk. Should I be putting him in our dark bedroom in the next to me with white noise for naps, like we do for night sleep?? Should I swaddle him like nighttime or just use a blanket?

he also has a huge habit of sleeping in the baby bjorn bouncer which I doubt is good for his airways šŸ„“ but so hard to transfer him to the Moses basket from it.

feel like we need a more structured nap time routine but have no idea where to start!

Can anyone share some wisdom with napsā€¦ Mini Roll is 3 months on Sunday and starting to resist daytime naps more and more which is having a knock on effect on his night sleep. Until now his naps have always been in the living room with noise, day light etc in a Moses basket or in the pram on a walk. Should I be putting him in our dark bedroom in the next to me with white noise for naps, like we do for night sleep?? Should I swaddle him like nighttime or just use a blanket?

he also has a huge habit of sleeping in the baby bjorn bouncer which I doubt is good for his airways šŸ„“ but so hard to transfer him to the Moses basket from it.

feel like we need a more structured nap time routine but have no idea where to start!
Hey, I didnā€™t have a routine with naps at that age but I did start putting him upstairs in the next to me from about 10 weeks. At least for the first nap of the day anyway, Iā€™d put him in his sleeping bag, dummy and white noise so same as night sleep ā˜ŗ

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Hey, I didnā€™t have a routine with naps at that age but I did start putting him upstairs in the next to me from about 10 weeks. At least for the first nap of the day anyway, Iā€™d put him in his sleeping bag, dummy and white noise so same as night sleep ā˜ŗ
thank you so much!! Did you close curtains/blinds? Did you stay with him or use baby monitor?

thank you so much!! Did you close curtains/blinds? Did you stay with him or use baby monitor?
Yes I shut the blinds and curtains and had the room dark, I used a monitor. Quite often in those early days Iā€™d sit next to the crib for a while until heā€™d gone into a deep sleep. Good luck! X

• Heart

I've literally just done something similar today with my three month old! I put him up in his next to me for his morning nap and did everything we do at night (sleeping bag, white noise, dark room etc). He had just under an hour which I was pretty impressed with and it gave me time to deep clean the dishwasher and washing machine which I've been putting off for weeks! The only problem is, I started it today because we had a lazy day at home planned but tomorrow morning he has an appointment and on Friday we have a baby group so I won't be able to do it again for a bit. That's what's confusing me about daytime routines because our schedule for each day is different that it's going to be hard to do anything at the same time!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Does anyone else find Tesco baby clothes a bit on the small side? Just had to wrangle baby burritos head into a 3-6 month vest, heā€™s only 15 weeks! Might just donate the rest, canā€™t see it getting any easier šŸ˜³

Reactions: 2
Nursery haven't logged any naps for baby L today šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬ pray 4 me
I bookmarked some posts when we were looking. There is a lot to think about! Good luck

Does anyone else find Tesco baby clothes a bit on the small side? Just had to wrangle baby burritos head into a 3-6 month vest, heā€™s only 15 weeks! Might just donate the rest, canā€™t see it getting any easier šŸ˜³
I found George/Asda on the small side, baby L grew out of them before any others, Tesco seemed more generous in comparison! He's still wearing a 6-9 month F+F hoodie to nursery although we can't zip it up šŸ˜…

• Heart
Yeah I found Tesco good in size for jackets and baby gros, but vests quite small!

Yes but I never learn and keep buying them anyway šŸ˜‚
itā€™s mainly just their vests for us tbh. Weā€™ve had the odd Tesco outfit that he grew out of quickly too but most have been fine!
heā€™s quite a longgg baby so that probably doesnā€™t help!

Asdas George is also terrible in vests !

Weā€™ve found Sainsburyā€™s Tu more correct in sizing on everything

I've literally just done something similar today with my three month old! I put him up in his next to me for his morning nap and did everything we do at night (sleeping bag, white noise, dark room etc). He had just under an hour which I was pretty impressed with and it gave me time to deep clean the dishwasher and washing machine which I've been putting off for weeks! The only problem is, I started it today because we had a lazy day at home planned but tomorrow morning he has an appointment and on Friday we have a baby group so I won't be able to do it again for a bit. That's what's confusing me about daytime routines because our schedule for each day is different that it's going to be hard to do anything at the same time!
yes exactly!! Im also wondering about that too. I donā€™t want to become super attached to a schedule but at the same time babies do quite like routines donā€™t they šŸ˜…

Totally bamboozled by little one's poops recently. Also never thought I'd be this invested in poo but hey ho!

Anyone got any insight? He's 10 weeks, exclusively breastfed and has just recently started producing quite liquidy poops after pretty much every feed, and today's had green mucus in it?! Was not prepared for that! We have a doctor's appointment tomorrow but just curious if anyone else has experienced this because Google is inconclusive.
Maybe a dairy allergy? That was our first sign in our EBF daughter. Could you try cutting out dairy and seeing?

Had the most baffling appointment at the dentists today. Good news is the tooth is less grey/purple looking than yesterday so thereā€™s a chance itā€™s healing! If not it will just go grey and die but wonā€™t have any long term effects and isnā€™t in pain.
Then she started asking me if he gets juice and sweets. I said of course not? Heā€™s 9 months old. Then she started lecturing me about giving him milk in a bottle and itā€™s ā€œridiculousā€ heā€™s still having a feed during the night I should only give him water. I practically had steam coming out my ears. I explained to her that some babies need fed through the wee hours until one, milk is his main source of nutrition since heā€™s a baby man ffs!
I came away feeling really judged and pissed off. We brush his teeth twice a day, he LOVES brushing his teeth. Iā€™m not a bloody idiot. There was also a pissy passing comment about formula instead of breast milk that I didnā€™t fully hear but I canā€™t stop thinking about it. Iā€™m not usually one to complain but I think I might. Imagine making a mum of a 9 month old feel bad for giving him milk šŸ« 

• Wow
  • Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
yes exactly!! Im also wondering about that too. I donā€™t want to become super attached to a schedule but at the same time babies do quite like routines donā€™t they šŸ˜…
I know!! And then week days and weekends will be different too šŸ¤” no idea what to do for the best!

Had the most baffling appointment at the dentists today. Good news is the tooth is less grey/purple looking than yesterday so thereā€™s a chance itā€™s healing! If not it will just go grey and die but wonā€™t have any long term effects and isnā€™t in pain.
Then she started asking me if he gets juice and sweets. I said of course not? Heā€™s 9 months old. Then she started lecturing me about giving him milk in a bottle and itā€™s ā€œridiculousā€ heā€™s still having a feed during the night I should only give him water. I practically had steam coming out my ears. I explained to her that some babies need fed through the wee hours until one, milk is his main source of nutrition since heā€™s a baby man ffs!
I came away feeling really judged and pissed off. We brush his teeth twice a day, he LOVES brushing his teeth. Iā€™m not a bloody idiot. There was also a pissy passing comment about formula instead of breast milk that I didnā€™t fully hear but I canā€™t stop thinking about it. Iā€™m not usually one to complain but I think I might. Imagine making a mum of a 9 month old feel bad for giving him milk šŸ« 
I was thinking about you and Baby T today and his tooth. I cannot BELIEVE that happened to you. I mean thatā€™s awful coming from anyone but the dentist??? Please put a complaint in- these people shouldnā€™t get away with comments like that. And the remark about breastfeeding? She can jog on. Please please ignore her- you are doing amazing with him.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
wtf is wrong with people!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.