New baby and post birth advice #56

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My partner cut both our babies cords in theatre and my first was emcs!
I never got skin to skin with my daughter (1st) when she was born now that i think about it. I didnt even hold her or see what she looked like til i was i recovery 🤣
With my son he was shown to me when he came out then taken away for checks, weight and cord cutting then put on me for skin to skin and never taken away again, probably was about 5 mins for it all and he screamed the entire time till he was on my chest 🤣
my husband wasn’t allowed to cut the cord properly during my emergency caesarean, but they cut it long and once they’d done all of the checks on baby they let him “trim it” and took a photo on his phone which was quite sweet!

Reactions: 3
Gripe water for trapped wind... does it work or just a marketing ploy?
Many many many months ago now but we think gripe water was what worked for us. Infacol not so much. 😅

Another lots have raved about on these Threads is dentinox

hope you find something that helps x

my husband wasn’t allowed to cut the cord properly during my emergency caesarean, but they cut it long and once they’d done all of the checks on baby they let him “trim it” and took a photo on his phone which was quite sweet!
Thats sweet that you/he got a photo! It may be different health boards policies or reason for csection, I have no idea! But he definitely got to do the proper cut 🤣

Reactions: 1
Gripe water for trapped wind... does it work or just a marketing ploy?
We’ve tried it all, I found Dentinox and gripe water both good, but I’ve put baby fudge back on just infacol as he slept through the night once when he was on it when I ran out of dentinox and he has slept through two nights since! So it must be helping him

Reactions: 2
@themuffinwoman Thankyou. I actually paid over well over half the house when my parents passed away. So hoping that I can use that to stay or set myself up if it came to it.
I’m gonna have a talk to my brother when husbands out. I wanna make it work, I know there’s a lot of stress right now but I just feel there’s 0 respect left for me

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Thank you everyone for your posts about your c sections! It appears then that in the UK you don’t get immediate skin to skin, I know the first lil checks only take a few mins, but next time (whenever that is) I’ll be asking, the worst they can say is no 🤷🏼‍♀️ I don’t see why initial checks can’t be done whilst baby is on my chest like a vaginal birth could.
i think the cord may have been a circumstantial thing but again, can only ask the next time! Although appreciate it’s subject to both mum and babies health, so we should be so lucky either way !

• Heart
Thank you everyone for your posts about your c sections! It appears then that in the UK you don’t get immediate skin to skin, I know the first lil checks only take a few mins, but next time (whenever that is) I’ll be asking, the worst they can say is no 🤷🏼‍♀️ I don’t see why initial checks can’t be done whilst baby is on my chest like a vaginal birth could.
i think the cord may have been a circumstantial thing but again, can only ask the next time! Although appreciate it’s subject to both mum and babies health, so we should be so lucky either way !
Yes I’ve had 3 vaginals and it’s usually skin to skin and then checks - my third was different as unknowingly to me, they didn’t think he was breathing and so checked him first but the birth was pretty wild I needed that minute 😅
My husband chose not to cut the cord and I couldn’t work out why because he did our other two and it’s because he knew they didn’t think he was breathing and couldn’t do it x

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I am not sure whether it’s because babies are more likely to need a bit of help breathing after a section? They don’t lose mucus from their chest as they would being pushed through the birth canal. But maybe I’m wrong! I got skin to skin after a few minutes and didn’t feel like I was waiting ages. The midwives and surgical team were lovely and made sure I knew where baby was or I could see him until they placed him on my chest.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I am not sure whether it’s because babies are more likely to need a bit of help breathing after a section? They don’t lose mucus from their chest as they would being pushed through the birth canal. But maybe I’m wrong! I got skin to skin after a few minutes and didn’t feel like I was waiting ages. The midwives and surgical team were lovely and made sure I knew where baby was or I could see him until they placed him on my chest.
I think it’s this and logistics. the cord needs to be cut but can’t be while he’s on you doing skin to skin.

Reactions: 2
Weird one but tummy troubles/IBS after pregnancy…. Now I don’t think I have IBS, but my stomach has become much more sensitive than it was since I’ve given birth. Tmi but if I have anything vaguely spicy I’m on the loo for days, I can’t even tolerate nandos medium spice 😭 even too many onions set me off. I never used to be like this to this extent, anyone else have this? I’m fine the rest of the time, and it’s only spicy food or onions (there’s a word for things like onions and garlic but I can’t remember 🤷‍♀️).

@Pontiac_Bandit similar bedtimes here. I usually can rock him back to sleep or feed and he will go back down for 2-3 hours so still tired… I’ll keep doing what I’m doing. Thankyou.

im finding it hard to find the qualities I like atm. Just feel let down and just keep thinking how selfish he is. When I’m on my own I feel more relaxed. As soon as I’m around him atm I feel stressed and on edge.

@Burrito88 I’m not sure if it’s noise maybe, he starts to be unsettled for a while then finally wakes. He’s round the back of house so quietest part. Got back out curtains and blinds up…. Hopefully just abit of a phase, it seems a fairly new thing.

Thankyou, I think maybe speaking to someone would be a good idea just to know exactly where I stand with everything. I feel like I don’t wanna mess people around with I’m leaving him then I’m not. Obviously I’d like this to work out. The only thing is I know he won’t leave the house, so I’d have to leave and yeah nearest and only family is 3 hrs away…. And kinda scares me the big change.
we just see to have really lost our way, things have been awful for him at work… I get he’s stressed but he then takes that out on me.

@CallMeHollywood Thankyou, my parents were similar and my mum was miserable for a lot of years. I don’t wanna end up like that. I think they stayed together for us and convenience.
I’m really sorry, it’s so frustrating when they don’t do their fair share and have you on edge. Hate feeling like you have to bottle up how tired you are/walk on eggshells to protect their feelings at the expense of your own.

I’m so gutted I noticed today Baby T has chipped his top front tooth and it’s gone purple/grey. Doesn’t seem to be causing him pain luckily but he has an appointment tomorrow to check it out although they’ve already said they probably won’t do anything. It’s just so strange I’ve no idea how he did it as he was so happy all morning. Nothing obvious springs to mind. His poor wee teeth :(
---
Weird one but tummy troubles/IBS after pregnancy…. Now I don’t think I have IBS, but my stomach has become much more sensitive than it was since I’ve given birth. Tmi but if I have anything vaguely spicy I’m on the loo for days, I can’t even tolerate nandos medium spice 😭 even too many onions set me off. I never used to be like this to this extent, anyone else have this? I’m fine the rest of the time, and it’s only spicy food or onions (there’s a word for things like onions and garlic but I can’t remember 🤷‍♀️).
Omg I’ve been the same since pregnancy and was never like this before. I had a very unfortunate time of it when we were out a very long walk far from home let’s just say 😭🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I remember when baby fudge was born, his umbilical cord was short so he only could come up to my hip until mr fudge cut the cord and they put him straight on me then 😆

• Haha
For my first his gender was a suprise so they must of prepped two birth note things a pink and blue one that had our surname and date on it just needed time of birth, weight etc on it. So when they were wheeling me down to my emc the midwife put her papers on the bed and the pink one was at the top so the whole time I was having the baby I was like omg it's a girl. When they lifted baby up to dad to announce the gender and he said boy I was like that bloody idiot thinks the umbilical cords a willy🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Yes I suppose this makes sense!! I can’t complain, they got him to me fairly quickly and I didn’t feel upset by it or anything. I think when I have the odd days feeling ‘sad’ (for want of a better word) that I didn’t and probably won’t have a vaginal birth it’s this bit specifically. The baby coming out and putting them straight on you. Aaah well, I’ll ask for next time either way and see what they say🤪 thank you!! X

• Heart
[
I think it depends on the hospital / even staff too. I’m in the uk - London- and our anaesthetist asked if we wanted checks done in recovery to allow for uninterrupted skin to skin or immediately (providing we were both well). The cord my partner wasn’t fussed over but I’m sure they asked (or maybe we thought they were joking, I can’t quite remember 😂)

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I’m really sorry, it’s so frustrating when they don’t do their fair share and have you on edge. Hate feeling like you have to bottle up how tired you are/walk on eggshells to protect their feelings at the expense of your own.

I’m so gutted I noticed today Baby T has chipped his top front tooth and it’s gone purple/grey. Doesn’t seem to be causing him pain luckily but he has an appointment tomorrow to check it out although they’ve already said they probably won’t do anything. It’s just so strange I’ve no idea how he did it as he was so happy all morning. Nothing obvious springs to mind. His poor wee teeth :(
---

Omg I’ve been the same since pregnancy and was never like this before. I had a very unfortunate time of it when we were out a very long walk far from home let’s just say 😭🤣
Meant to reply to this earlier but poor T :( glad it’s not bothering him though xx

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.