New baby and post birth advice #56

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Had the most baffling appointment at the dentists today. Good news is the tooth is less grey/purple looking than yesterday so there’s a chance it’s healing! If not it will just go grey and die but won’t have any long term effects and isn’t in pain.
Then she started asking me if he gets juice and sweets. I said of course not? He’s 9 months old. Then she started lecturing me about giving him milk in a bottle and it’s “ridiculous” he’s still having a feed during the night I should only give him water. I practically had steam coming out my ears. I explained to her that some babies need fed through the wee hours until one, milk is his main source of nutrition since he’s a baby man ffs!
I came away feeling really judged and pissed off. We brush his teeth twice a day, he LOVES brushing his teeth. I’m not a bloody idiot. There was also a pissy passing comment about formula instead of breast milk that I didn’t fully hear but I can’t stop thinking about it. I’m not usually one to complain but I think I might. Imagine making a mum of a 9 month old feel bad for giving him milk 🫠
I would complain about this!!!! I’m not a massive complainer but the last place you should be judged is the bloody dentist! X

Reactions: 6
I would complain about this!!!! I’m not a massive complainer but the last place you should be judged is the bloody dentist! X
I think I might if I’m still peed off in the morning. It was just really unnecessary and it’s ruined my day tbh. But I’m also like can I be arsed? 🤣

Reactions: 3
Had the most baffling appointment at the dentists today. Good news is the tooth is less grey/purple looking than yesterday so there’s a chance it’s healing! If not it will just go grey and die but won’t have any long term effects and isn’t in pain.
Then she started asking me if he gets juice and sweets. I said of course not? He’s 9 months old. Then she started lecturing me about giving him milk in a bottle and it’s “ridiculous” he’s still having a feed during the night I should only give him water. I practically had steam coming out my ears. I explained to her that some babies need fed through the wee hours until one, milk is his main source of nutrition since he’s a baby man ffs!
I came away feeling really judged and pissed off. We brush his teeth twice a day, he LOVES brushing his teeth. I’m not a bloody idiot. There was also a pissy passing comment about formula instead of breast milk that I didn’t fully hear but I can’t stop thinking about it. I’m not usually one to complain but I think I might. Imagine making a mum of a 9 month old feel bad for giving him milk 🫠
Ugggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I used to go to the biggest patronising, passive aggressive witch of a dentist - sounds like she’s moved to your neck of the woods. Zero bleeping people skills, she can get in the bin!

Reactions: 4
Please do complain. A less knowledgable or confident parent than you might take that advice as gospel and stop feeding their baby milk (against NHS guidance). Absolutely HATE healthcare professionals who pass off their personal opinion as medical advice

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Keep meaning to ask after every bath but forgetting… how does everyone keep water out of LO’s eyes during bathtime? The reviews of most on Amazon are conflicting, and I saw something suggest a dry flannel on the forehead which I’ve been doing but it still lets water in obvs.

Thanks all for your replies yesterday. I feel better just having a vent and being able to talk about it. Feels like a weight lifted abit.

trying to focus on baby wotsits first birthday. Any opinions on a trike that coverts or the little tikes car….? Or what’s been a big hit with your little ones.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Thanks all for your replies yesterday. I feel better just having a vent and being able to talk about it. Feels like a weight lifted abit.

trying to focus on baby wotsits first birthday. Any opinions on a trike that coverts or the little tikes car….? Or what’s been a big hit with your little ones.
We're always here for a vent!

We picked up a (very old, slightly smelly) police Little Tikes car from facebook for free. Worth checking your local groups. Once it's pressure washed and had a lick of paint it'll be good as new. MIL is slightly annoyed as we forgot we said she could buy him one new for his birthday but now is going to get him his first pair of shoes instead.

My parents have got him a swing set that goes up to age 7 :)

Reactions: 1
I think I might if I’m still peed off in the morning. It was just really unnecessary and it’s ruined my day tbh. But I’m also like can I be arsed? 🤣
If you can muster up the energy please complain - like someone else said, that awful judgemental advice might cause problems if a nervous parent goes in future, but also you could hit them with a passive aggressive "as a trained nursery practitioner" etc etc and go for the "from one professional to another you're not only wrong but harmful" angle - basically, be petty and channel all recent frustrations into making the dentist feel about 2 inches tall 😂 (I'm glad his tooth's ok!)

Keep meaning to ask after every bath but forgetting… how does everyone keep water out of LO’s eyes during bathtime? The reviews of most on Amazon are conflicting, and I saw something suggest a dry flannel on the forehead which I’ve been doing but it still lets water in obvs.
I hold his head out of the water but if it gets in his eyes, so be it.

I hold his head out of the water but if it gets in his eyes, so be it.
Same. She has a Shnuggle and good head control so she's sat up when she's in her bath, but when she's in the bath with me it's a case of if it happens, it happens 🤷🏼‍♀️ I don't use any soap or anything until she's out of the bath, so it's just plain water.

My niece used to be petrified of water on her face/in her eyes, and my sister used to use a golf visor with a fabric strap so water could get underneath when washing her hair.

Same we just let water go onto his face when washing hair etc, tbh he splashes so much he basically gets it in his eyes himself. Sure I read it’s good to get them used to it from a young age too!

Please do complain. A less knowledgable or confident parent than you might take that advice as gospel and stop feeding their baby milk (against NHS guidance). Absolutely HATE healthcare professionals who pass off their personal opinion as medical advice
Yes I agree with this. I was thinking about your comment @Tifastrife but what if they said that to someone that was in a mentally bad place? The dentist I saw when my 3 year old still had a dummy was really caring about the fact it was his comfort but to the point it would affect his teeth. The least bit judgmental that he had a dummy, but wanted to educate me on why he needed to get rid of it for his teeth.
(We knew we had to get rid of it and were leaving it for Father Christmas) but honestly, that’s what you need as a parent.
My 7 year old will not clean his teeth. Like he hates it, the dentist talked to him about the importance and explained it all - different dentist, but again, no judgement. Just everything they could do to help x

• Heart
Reactions: 7
With Biscuit Junior I always tried to keep water off his face, and now at the age of 7 he hates water on his face and he gets really wound up in the shower when the water goes near his eyes. We've been working on getting him used to to it, but it's hard work.

With Baby Biscuit we've been wetting her whole face since her first bath, and now she's totally not arsed by it. Just a little bit, we're not waterboarding her 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8

We got a trike for my eldest 1st birthday and I didn't think we would use it much but he loved it and we used it loads locally. The one we got wasn't the easiest to maneuver but easy enough to go to the park and back and more fun than the pram to him. He's 3 in June and hasn't got the hang of doing the pedals on it yet but he's so good on his balance bike and scooter 🤷🏻‍♂️ so doesn't really get used now as its so bulky and he would rather take one of those to the park and hop on the board on the babies pram if he's tired.
Little tikes cars are great, he has one at my parents and loves it but they are a bugger to build so don't start the night before 🫠 if I has to pick the little tikes was prob more value for money as he played on it every day at my parents over summer x

Reactions: 2
My almost 3 week old has given me a false sense of security, we were getting the hang of things and today boom, he wants feeds little and often and don't want to be put down. Currently holding him in my arms listening to my hubby snore, it's going to be a long night. Everytime I put him down he cries

• Heart
Reactions: 11
My almost 3 week old has given me a false sense of security, we were getting the hang of things and today boom, he wants feeds little and often and don't want to be put down. Currently holding him in my arms listening to my hubby snore, it's going to be a long night. Everytime I put him down he cries
Been there and it's so hard! It's easier if you remind yourself that he wants to be close to you because he loves you, and because he still thinks he's part of you, and because being close to you is the best comfort ever for him ❤ make sure you have access to drinks/snacks/TV programmes with the sound turned down and subtitles on, and don't be afraid to ask for support from your husband so you're not having to be awake all night every night if this goes on a little while. Sending love ❤

• Heart
Oh sending you lots of love, those nights are long and lonely!
If it helps, I always used to feel better understanding why things were changing. Baby is likely about to go through a growth spurt and is feeding little and often to stimulate your milk production so they get all the milk they need for this spurt! It’s frustrating and tiring but these babies really are very clever. Do you have any tv shows you’re into at the moment? Maybe you could have them on standby during the feeds to keep you sane x

• Heart
How do you know when baby’s asleep for a good stretch or an evening? Baby burrito naps for 45 mins through the day (5 naps today!), went down at 8pm and assumed he’d wake by 9pm but he’s been asleep ever since. I would’ve done a dream feed but I had a cheeky nap myself and only just woke up 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Totally bamboozled by little one's poops recently. Also never thought I'd be this invested in poo but hey ho!

Anyone got any insight? He's 10 weeks, exclusively breastfed and has just recently started producing quite liquidy poops after pretty much every feed, and today's had green mucus in it?! Was not prepared for that! We have a doctor's appointment tomorrow but just curious if anyone else has experienced this because Google is inconclusive.
My daughter (who is now 7!) used to have poos like this quite frequently. They had quite a lot of mucus and green specks. She was a very quick feeder and I think she was getting too much foremilk but I couldn’t force her to feed any longer. I went to the GP about it but they dismissed it because there was no other symptoms.
I was concerned about an intolerance but fast forward 7 years and she is fine with no allergies etc.
My 4 month old has the occasional greenish nappy too, I’m a lot less anxious about it with him because I’ve seen it before and all was ok in the end!

• Heart
@WeepingCassandra ohhh good shout marketplace!! He loves the little ride on cars at clubs… so feel he might get more use outta that then a trike for now in the garden.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.