Mumsnet #26 Fanny wafts and meany pegs, what goes on in mumsnetters heads?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was thinking exactly this!! Also she’s been diagnosed with sepsis within a couple of hours… no wait for blood cultures?! Totally made up I think, suspected sepsis would be mentioned maybe but nahhh. It went from chest infection to a mention of a cut too. Of course anti vax family members who may recognise her post.

No families I have worked with would be updating a forum if their child was in resus sick enough to be heading for PICU. They barely update family, are in the moment. They would be remembering exact numbers either as she would be monitored continuously with them probably changing.

Her writing suddenly got more coherent too.
Yep, it's a case of -

award (1).jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I agree the story doesn't add up but I have to say I disagree with the idea that people don't go on their phones when they're in that situation. When my daughter was in a coma in ICU I couldn't sit and do nothing. All the adrenaline set me into action mode, so I ended up texting loads of people to update them. I sometimes cringe and wonder why her childminder needed to see a photo of her hooked up to all those machines or why I needed to bother my co-workers with hour by hour updates. It's the stress of the situation, you want to take action and do something but you find yourself entirely helpless. So you busy yourself and channel your anxiety into things you perceive as useful but they really aren't. My daughter is fine now by the way, I'm just saying stress does funny things to people.

But yeah, the other parts of the story don't add up so I'm not buying this particular one either.

Reactions: 14
I’m going straight to the bad place in the afterlife but…….the mother who was so worried about her child and couldn’t even type can now let us know her daughter’s blood pressure and heart rate in detail. Of course it’s sepsis and she’s going to intensive care.
I said it had been a while since we had a poorly troll thread!! Welcome back Clare’s mam 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
@InkBlot yes if I was poorly and waiting around and not unconscious I'd mess around on my phone.

I just sneezed 8 times. Wonder if I need an MN thread.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I just need to reiterate my hatred of the word "meanypegs". twit. Thank you, as you were.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
I just need to reiterate my hatred of the word "meanypegs". twit. Thank you, as you were.
Speaking of, anyone else see the in-depth analysis of the phrase "Swivel eyed loon".

It's probably not PC anymore but I confess I tittered when I read it, not heard that since about 1989.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I agree the story doesn't add up but I have to say I disagree with the idea that people don't go on their phones when they're in that situation. When my daughter was in a coma in ICU I couldn't sit and do nothing. All the adrenaline set me into action mode, so I ended up texting loads of people to update them. I sometimes cringe and wonder why her childminder needed to see a photo of her hooked up to all those machines or why I needed to bother my co-workers with hour by hour updates. It's the stress of the situation, you want to take action and do something but you find yourself entirely helpless. So you busy yourself and channel your anxiety into things you perceive as useful but they really aren't. My daughter is fine now by the way, I'm just saying stress does funny things to people.

But yeah, the other parts of the story don't add up so I'm not buying this particular one either.
A friend's daughter has a complex syndrome and spends a lot of time in hospital. My friend updates quite often from hospital what's going on

Reactions: 1
I do think there's a difference between updating friends, family and workmates with texts and messages about your child's ill-health, to starting a thread on Mumsnet, and subsequently updating that thread numerous times, with intricate medical detail.

I don't think I would have the concentration or the commitment to do it.

On the other hand, I can imagine someone who is lonely and bored, starting a thread, and thoroughly enjoying all the attention and positive affirmations they get. Apart from Poorly Pam (and I do think that was true, with hindsight), most of the three part saga threads have been proved to be untrue. Especially when there is a cast of supporting characters like Lovely DH, Best Friend, Dishy Doctor and Nasty Nurse.

Reactions: 11
If you’re sitting by a bedside, it’s completely normal and understandable seek support online. Even in A&E or in the thick of a crisis, if you’re used to dealing with a serious, chronic condition I can see why you’d be online. If you’re suddenly in a brand new emergency situation and things are not stable and it’s all going on - posting on AIBU is weird. I get messaging friends and family or even a smaller forum where you’re actually known. I’m afraid I don’t believe this.

Reactions: 5
The I'm going to hell thread is madness. The replies are full of loons telling the poster to basically hold off in telling a bloke she slept with for a few months that she hasn't recently given birth to his baby. They all think it's a right giggle lol, what a bunch

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I'm gobsmacked by the 'Unsure what to wear to party' thread in S&B. The OP has chosen a dress from Primark, oops, I mean MyTheresa for nearly £4k.:eek:

My car cost less than that.

However, if you're that rich, then surely you wouldn't need people's opinions on whether the dress is suitable or not? FWIW the dress is quite pretty, but for a one off - it's not really something you could wear again and again - it seems a lot of money. If I was going to buy a gold sparkly dress I'd go for the cheapest and most flattering option (yes, probably from Primark) knowing I'd only wear it once.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.