Laura Adlington

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It def wouldn’t harm you to walk 10000 steps a day Laura, this girl claims to be anti diet but she slams anything that is pro health also. I kinda see what she was trying to say but in my eyes its just her being negative and using any excuse to not try and lose weight. And as for Laurens stupid comment about ‘a man’ choosing that number… SHUT UP, god she is annoying! It wouldnt harm her to walk 10000 steps a day either! I feel like with these 2 they just want to eat crap and live an unhealthy lifestyle and use there podcast to justify it (saying this as somebody who could do with losing 2-3 stone)

Reactions: 21
I feel like they were trying to come at it from a good place of 10k steps not being the be all and end all, finding a type of movement you enjoy is key and beating yourself up with an arbitrary number doesn’t help… but… why not aim for 10k steps as quite a low impact way of incorporating movement into your day? It’s about five miles and it’s better than doing nothing, if you’re able bodied and walking is an option. Not sure it’s in the clip they shared but in the podcast Laura talks about when she had a fitbit and waving her arm around while sitting down to make it meet the step count, she cannot motivate herself to do ANYTHING.

Reactions: 12
And walking 10k steps a day is useless so dont bother (in lauras world)

Try it Laura and see if its a 'marketing tool' or if it does have benefits to your body & mind.
14k steps a day gained from walking to work and back as I have a sedentary job was what kept me 2 st lighter than I am now with better blood pressure and overall fitness. Kicking myself for not continuing to be active once lockdown and WFH hit.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I feel like they were trying to come at it from a good place of 10k steps not being the be all and end all, finding a type of movement you enjoy is key and beating yourself up with an arbitrary number doesn’t help… but… why not aim for 10k steps as quite a low impact way of incorporating movement into your day? It’s about five miles and it’s better than doing nothing, if you’re able bodied and walking is an option. Not sure it’s in the clip they shared but in the podcast Laura talks about when she had a fitbit and waving her arm around while sitting down to make it meet the step count, she cannot motivate herself to do ANYTHING.
Yeh I thought that was pretty odd! If you’re not going to try and hit the steps then why try to fool your Fitbit into thinking you are?! Strange to do and even stranger to admit. I think it was probably a joke to be fair? You’re absolutely right, if she wants to lose weight then she needs to do something! Walking is a great place to start! I think she just likes being miserable and moaning about everything.

Reactions: 7
I would love to see Laura overhaul her life, start some sort of health plan and I don’t mean a diet, but just start doing something like swimming a few times a week as she says she loves the water or maybe long dog walks as I’m not convinced he gets long walks. I guarantee it would do wonders for her mental health which clearly she struggles with. She talks about how she isn’t willing to diet because food is her ‘joy’ and she doesn’t want to give that up but you can’t have everything, I’m sure everyone feels the same about food but we all know we can’t just eat what we want all the time, if I had it my way I would have junk food all day every day, of course I’d rather have a pizza then a salad but I can’t do that because I know it’s bad for me…. You can still cut down and enjoy food, I mean who doesn’t love food?

Reactions: 12

Try it Laura and see if its a 'marketing tool' or if it does have benefits to your body & mind.
I’ve completely fallen out of the habit and am trying so hard to get back to it, but for a month solid, rain or shine, I made time for an hours walk, 5 times a week, just me and my EarPods, listening to music or an audiobook.
I lost a stone in that month, without any other changes.
I felt more energised and definitely saw an improvement in mood.
I get that the 10,000 steps might be just a number that’s been randomly chosen, but I guarantee that it’s not going to do Laura and Lauren anything but good if they did those steps.
It’s so wrong to bash anything that promotes healthier living.

How negative can one person be? She’s getting worse isn’t she!
She needs to remember that just because she doesn’t want to have a step goal it doesn’t mean others won’t. I personally try to aim for 10000 steps a day but if I don’t do it, I don’t beat myself up about it.
I’d be interested to hear what she thinks we ‘should be doing’ bearing in mind she’s overweight and miserable, all the activities and suggestions she’s made in the past certainly don’t seem to help her.

Reactions: 9
10k steps probably is made up and anything over 3k is a bonus but honestly, does she have to moan about everything? Aiming for 10k is not going to do anyone any harm, is it?

She has a dog so getting in the steps should be easy, I would have thought.

I totally agree with everything said here, and I’m starting to get a bit fatigued with the podcast and the constant eye rolling towards anything that might possibly reduce someone’s weight, like the 10,000 steps. The number is surely so that the goal is specific and measurable and not just ‘walk more’. A bit like the 5 a day message, which serves as a minimum level of fruit or veg intake but I suppose they probably think that’s just a marketing tool designed by a man as well.
Whoever said they just want to justify their lazy lifestyles hit the nail on the head.

Oh yeah forgot to say the ‘was it invented by a man’ comment… makes noooo sense because it’s not something that women specifically are told they ‘should’ do? For once it’s a piece of health/body advice that is universally recommended to any human capable of doing it and yet they have to turn it into a gender thing.

I think she said in the “movement” podcast she walks with the dog for a hour a day.

it was an interesting idea for a podcast, but I think Laura is just paying lip service and not willing to practice what she preaches. Lauren at least acknowledgedthat she tried to do some exercise and what problems she found, why it wasn’teasy To fit in around work etc.

Reactions: 2
Oh yeah forgot to say the ‘was it invented by a man’ comment… makes noooo sense because it’s not something that women specifically are told they ‘should’ do? For once it’s a piece of health/body advice that is universally recommended to any human capable of doing it and yet they have to turn it into a gender thing.
I’m honestly sick to the back teeth of the “it must have been a man” trope. Honestly grinds my gears - especially coming from anyone who would scream blue murder if they heard someone say “it must have a been a woman”!

Reactions: 6
I’m a big girl and I’m trying to lose weight for my health. I get the whole ‘love the skin you’re in’ thing I do but she is dangerously health impacting obese. She has admitted to fertility problems due to her size and yet promotes very negative views on ways to try and improve health. Eating better & moving more isn’t about losing weight or your image when you are as obese as myself & many others it’s about not eating and lazing your way to a heart attack. Yes these things will help you lose weight but the bigger goal would be lower blood pressure, less joint pain etc and many many more things

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Lauren is such a man hater.
She really is. I like to think (hope) that it is more equal nowadays but her constant digs at men isn’t needed. Not all men are dick heads, some of them are but not all.
I just went for a walk and listened to the most recent podcast, if anyone listening was thinking of joining a gym those two will have put them off. I know it’s their experience but I’m fat/plus size and go to the gym, people there are so supportive, of course there are fitter and smaller sized people there but that’s life. Everything just feels so negative, think I need to reconsider following/listening

She really is. I like to think (hope) that it is more equal nowadays but her constant digs at men isn’t needed. Not all men are dick heads, some of them are but not all.
I just went for a walk and listened to the most recent podcast, if anyone listening was thinking of joining a gym those two will have put them off. I know it’s their experience but I’m fat/plus size and go to the gym, people there are so supportive, of course there are fitter and smaller sized people there but that’s life. Everything just feels so negative, think I need to reconsider following/listening
Absolutely all of this PLUS the ‘fun sponge’ description. I’ve exercised at various weights (🙋🏼‍♀️ life-time yo-yo dieter - although less so in recent years thankfully), and never felt ‘less than’ or ridiculed by other gym users. If you start anything with a negative mindset then you’re much more likely to experience what you’re expecting (if that makes sense).
Also, re. 10,000 steps - FFS, it’s just an easy to remember and aim for number! Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows that if you do something simple like this most days AND try to eat 5 portions of fruit and veg (again, just an easy to remember target) then you’re going to feel better mentally and physically. It isn’t some big scam, it’s a target so that people who possibly wouldn’t know/understand what to aim for can understand.

I’m a fattie and a total gym bunny. It’s all about finding your place, you can’t just dismiss all
gyms in one go. The vast majority of gyms and gym users are very nice and don’t make an issue of anyone’s size. I know worrying about people’s judgement puts larger people off exercise but really, you’re on safer ground in a gym than exercising outdoors. These two nobheads should not be going out of their way to put plus sized people off gyms.

There is a saying I don’t remember it word for word but she should see working out as celebrating what her body can do instead of thinking exercise is to punish herself or body for eating.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.