Laura Adlington #2 when you’re Laura, every silver lining has a cloud

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s not that you aren’t happy for people announcing pregnancy/birth news - it’s that when you are in the depths of infertility, that news is like a gut punch and a very real reminder that it’s not you, you are happy for them but sad for yourself
I fully understand that, however when a fundamental change to your health could potentially change your fertility outcomes, it's a little selfish. Like being annoyed at people who are committed to the gym and working out for having a good body. Fully understand how sad it is for people who have tried everything but just cannot have their own baby.

Reactions: 10
I fully understand that, however when a fundamental change to your health could potentially change your fertility outcomes, it's a little selfish. Like being annoyed at people who are committed to the gym and working out for having a good body. Fully understand how sad it is for people who have tried everything but just cannot have their own baby.
Agree 100% I’m around a size 24 now and want to have another baby, or at least try to next year. So I’m making changes now to lose some weight. It’s slow and only small changes but it’s a start. Bobalongwithkirsty has inspired me. You can’t complain about not being able to get pregnant if you’ve ignored the medical advice to lose weight. It’s actually insulting to women who really have done everything they can but still struggle

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Oh yeah I totally agree with that, I was only commenting on the feelings part
I don’t understand why Laura goes on about infertility but seems to have just given up trying
Even if she didn’t want to lose weight, she could try other options like going abroad etc but it just seems like she only wanted IVF if it was on the NHS

Reactions: 3
I’m childless by choice, so maybe not my place to comment, but I’m sure Laura’s mentioned before that she was told to lose a lot of weight to be eligible for IVF or something? I just don’t understand how you could so desperately want a child, but not do everything in your power, ie. Lose weight, to achieve that? Like even if there was a small chance it would help would you not do it?
there are people that will never have children, and they can’t do anything to fix that, but Laura just seems to have ruled out weight loss to get something she is clearly desperate for? I just don’t understand her mentality here.

Reactions: 19
She’s never actually said if she even attempted to lose the weight, as I recall she said that she was told to lose weight and she was overwhelmed by how many stones. It gave the impression that it was a straight ‘nah I can’t do that’
And trust me I know losing weight is so hard but to not even try, wow.

Reactions: 12
If she wanted a baby so much but couldn’t lose the weight why not have weight loss surgery? I imagine she could afford it. AND she’d be healthier all round. Being overweight is not a medical condition that prevents her conceiving. There’s lots she could do but has chosen not to. And why does her forehead look so bulbous in that photo?

Reactions: 7
It’s not that you aren’t happy for people announcing pregnancy/birth news - it’s that when you are in the depths of infertility, that news is like a gut punch and a very real reminder that it’s not you, you are happy for them but sad for yourself
I understand that, I didn’t mean to be insensitive to anyone going through it.
---
If she wanted a baby so much but couldn’t lose the weight why not have weight loss surgery? I imagine she could afford it. AND she’d be healthier all round. Being overweight is not a medical condition that prevents her conceiving. There’s lots she could do but has chosen not to. And why does her forehead look so bulbous in that photo?

Do we think she is going to go down the Ozempic route?

I agree with all other posters
She wants children but needs IVF to do that , to get IVF you need to lose weight .
Yes it's hard but if its something you truly want , you do it . Laura is so unhappy and unhealthy which shows .
I wonder if in doing all this insta stuff , she feels that being larger is her identity , if she loses weight who is she ? What's her audience ?

Reactions: 5
She has talked before about coming very close to having bariatric surgery, to the point of being about to start the liver shrinking diet to prepare for it and then sabotaging it with a binge. There are underlying issues with food that mean she’s not ready for the lifelong change in eating that comes with surgery and I do think that people underestimate what that is like. If you are an emotional eater, weight loss surgery doesn’t come with any fix for that.

I do think it’s possible to separate ‘diet culture’ and ‘being on a diet’ from reining in portion sizes, choosing whole foods over processed foods and prioritising filling/energising macros over comforting ones. And yes,10k steps was a marketing ploy but it’s about five miles and surely walking five miles is better than three is better than one is better than being sedentary. Rallying against the 10k misses the point of setting a target that’s just doing more than what you do now.

So true, there seems to be an underlying anger. Possibly because the holistic loss suggested was very overwhelming to hear. But breaking it down into manageable daily goals is the way to do it. 100 steps today is 100 more than you did yesterday and from there you build, only in competition with yourself. Of course it's hard, if it wasn't nobody would struggle but the key is break it down in to small daily things and it grows from there, the first loss motivates you to get your next one etc. I just feel there's alot of anger there and it's easier to lash out at step goals, suggested meal plans etc. I really don't care what she does with herself but it irks me to see her lashing out at those trying to improve themselves and preying on vulnerability to sell a book. There's no genuine care nor truth behind that. One look at her tells you she's not happy with herself. Saying so doesn't make it true.

Reactions: 9
I think she would dig her heels in about any changes to lifestyle that took her off the sofa, feeling miserable and watching Netflix. It really doesn't take much to improve your emotional wellbeing and when you feel better, you are motivated to make other small changes. She has a dog ffs, a walk in the sun and a change of scenery would do wonders for her. It might be more effort to walk initially, but as she got stronger, it'll be easier regardless of if she lost weight or not.

Reactions: 4
Something I have never understood about Laura are her struggles with infertility. I was in that position where we needed ivf and I was too heavy. I made the necessary changes and lost the weight. It wasn’t easy but when it was hard my desire for a baby kept me pushing hard and sweating it out! She has said she needs to lose weight before they will help her but won’t do it. She’d rather be fat than try and lose weight to have a baby. I just can’t fathom that. She is the person who can make her dream happen.
It is like a punch in the gut every time you hear a pregnancy announcement when you’re in that struggle, because of your own grief and sadness.

• Heart
Something I have never understood about Laura are her struggles with infertility. I was in that position where we needed ivf and I was too heavy. I made the necessary changes and lost the weight. It wasn’t easy but when it was hard my desire for a baby kept me pushing hard and sweating it out! She has said she needs to lose weight before they will help her but won’t do it. She’d rather be fat than try and lose weight to have a baby. I just can’t fathom that. She is the person who can make her dream happen.
It is like a punch in the gut every time you hear a pregnancy announcement when you’re in that struggle, because of your own grief and sadness.
I wonder will that become a marital problem further down the line. If I was a man and my wife had it within her power to try and lose some weight so we could have help to have our desired baby, and they didn't do it, I think I'd be really hurt, disappointed and probably angry. Then again he could initiate some health improvements himself and encourage her. They both seem to have just thought, we won't even try to get into a position to be eligible for ivf treatment. Regrets may come down the line and anger at each other.

Reactions: 5
This is absolutely it. I am always genuinely delighted for friends when they have children, but when I first learn the news, the sadness is immense. Grief over my losses, the reminder of my (self described) failure. It’s complicated. I’ve had a lot of therapy to cope with my situation, and it’s a really normal emotion for people who are childless not by choice. I wouldn’t slag Laura off for having those feelings.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
She has talked before about coming very close to having bariatric surgery, to the point of being about to start the liver shrinking diet to prepare for it and then sabotaging it with a binge. There are underlying issues with food that mean she’s not ready for the lifelong change in eating that comes with surgery and I do think that people underestimate what that is like. If you are an emotional eater, weight loss surgery doesn’t come with any fix for that.

I do think it’s possible to separate ‘diet culture’ and ‘being on a diet’ from reining in portion sizes, choosing whole foods over processed foods and prioritising filling/energising macros over comforting ones. And yes,10k steps was a marketing ploy but it’s about five miles and surely walking five miles is better than three is better than one is better than being sedentary. Rallying against the 10k misses the point of setting a target that’s just doing more than what you do now.
10k was a marketing ploy but it's not completely unscientific either. I think averaging under 8k is unhealthy to the point it impacts how long you live .
Like the 5 a day on fruit. Yes it's also made up, but presumably people understand the benefits of fruit & veg.

Reactions: 2
Never posted before (I don’t think). Long time lurker!
Laura makes me SO angry!! Since when was being morbidly obese ok?!
Yes, it’s great to feel comfortable wearing what you like and not being “fat shamed” for wearing shorts, swimwear etc….but being that fat is not healthy!!
Serial yo-yo dieter here - I’m a size 14 so not massive BUT I am at my biggest and feel sluggish. I’m making the wrong choices at the moment with food and know long term I will regret not making the right choices. If I carry on, I will soon be a 16 and feel worse, and then, continue the cycle….
This is in no way insulting people larger than a 14 - it’s just how I personally feel about myself and my energy/mood levels. When I’m eating a (fairly) balanced diet and exercising I feel so much better - even if the weight doesn’t budge quickly.
Being morbidly obese is not good for your health. I lost someone I loved because he was obese (heart issues due to weight) I wish I had told him to stop the over eating (and drinking) because he is missed everyday by many people.
Laura, if you read here: Matt will be a young widow if you don’t change your ways. You will get more followers if you document your journey to a healthier lifestyle and you might get the happy ending you want baby wise if you make a few changes. Rome wasn’t built in a day….. A few hundred less calories a day and 1000 extra steps is enough to get you feeling happier in yourself. Use your followers to support you. No one wishes you harm.
(I know it is very hard to not eat the crisps/chocolate….I have eaten a whole share bag of chocolate while watching a movie - my better choices start tomorrow - not Monday)!!!

Reactions: 7
Laura doesn't like to call herself an influencer because a lot of them are "wankers"
Also describes her husband as an "absolute bellend" 😯
Honestly I have a dark sense of humour , but can not imagine describing my husband as a bellend

Reactions: 11
Laura doesn't like to call herself an influencer because a lot of them are "wankers"
Also describes her husband as an "absolute bellend" 😯
Honestly I have a dark sense of humour , but can not imagine describing my husband as a bellend
She’s right, most influencers are! I might describe my partner as a bellend to friends but not publicly to so many followers, wonder what he thinks of it

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.