Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

lilamay

VIP Member
Found this in the comments under her 'ultimate lasagne' recipe. :rolleyes:

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 06.53.03.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 06.55.45.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 07.01.38.png

Excuses, excuses.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 76

Breakdance Badass

VIP Member
To be clear:
Don’t go to A&E with black shimmery eyeshadow on
Don’t announce you have Covid symptoms then prance down to Asda

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 76

colouredlines

VIP Member
My train is late 🔺️🔺️🔺️ so I took a closer look at the latest recipe:

Moonshine Mash first appeared in Cooking On A Bootstrap, a bootleg riff on polenta made with potatoes and corn. I so named it because ‘hooch’, or moonshine, is typically made from potatoes or corn, and the idea of my own sneaky irreverent take on something usually considered quite special rather tickled me.

So we start with yet another failure to comprehend that words have meanings. Polenta is a specific foodstuff. It is not a potato. It is derived from corn, but you can't just substitute sweetcorn for it. It's also not "usually considered quite special" unless you fear forrin things. It's actually simple to make and very filling, and a little goes a long way!

Sorry to fixate on Jack's inability to understand that words mean things (see also: risotto, carbonara, souffle, tortilla). Funny that she gets so het up over eau de Nil vs duck egg blue, but will gladly call instant mash polenta, no? What happened to her autistic obsession with the truth?

blending canned corn with its brine

It's not brine. It's often sugar water 🤢 Culinary tip, Jack: we drain it because sweetcorn has a delicate flavour that we usually want to taste. Flavour is a concept worth looking into. It can make a big difference to your cooking.

I opted not to add fat to mine, simply because I only have lard in the house at the moment

You're a fucking food writer. Why do you have every spice known to man, but no oil?

(so that WAS lard spread on your bagel?? Oh Jack, I was joking...)

First preheat your oven to 190C, and pop your sausages in a roasting tin. Place them on the middle shelf, and cook for 40 minutes.

I was gonna comment on her habit of writing out a recipe like her readers have never seen a kitchen before. Seriously, I had a Brownie Guide cookbook as a kid that had more respect for my intelligence. Then I remembered the Lockdown Larder questions. Okay Jack, you have a point.

To make these this tiny mirepoix-style small and delicate pieces, I firstly sliced the broccoli stalk, carrot and onion on a mandolin slicer, then used my handheld veg dicer to make them pleasingly dinky and even.

But you're an expert onion chopper!!! You wrote a song about it!

seasoning sparingly with salt but generously with pepper.

But in your last recipe you loved salinity in your food or some similar inanely worded nonsense? Why do you hate salt?

Pop the kettle on to boil for the gravy, and measure the granules into a mug. Pour the boiling water over and stir well until the gravy thickens, and set to one side.

A lot of words to say: "follow the instructions on the packet."

Serve piping hot, and enjoy!

SHAN'T.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 75

BlendedSlop

VIP Member
Jack Monroe #77: Eau de Nil by ouchy mouth (except bollocks and eyelids)

Fraus I am crying laughing at the thread tonight. Brenda's bangers are the gift I never knew I needed.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 74

Veronicaaa

VIP Member
I'd develop a passion for cookery pretty damn sharpish too if my only alternative was eating Jack's slop.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 74

I steal names

VIP Member
20200922_141544.jpg

Me, Jack, me! Weirdly enough, people have many different areas of interest, we're not all the same, you passive aggressive cock.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 71

Emmapism

VIP Member
Hmm, we haven't heard much about Jack's crippling arthritis in a long time. If we mention it here in a few posts, she'll have a flare-up by the end of the week, right?
She tweets an awful lot for someone who basically lost the use of her hands two years ago

• Haha
  • Heart

Lanie

VIP Member
She is actually pretty tackless in her tweets to people, my dad died of cancer more than likely lifestyle related. I don't think he was sitting in his final days going ok this is shit, but oh well. he knew is lifestyle was to blame but he still wished he had made better choices.

He was actually pretty devastated to be told he had six months to live as he was only in his fifties and had alot of living still to do.

She can be quite heartless in her little thoughtless comments.

Sorry I had to edit his age as I put it wrong as I was upset.

• Heart
  • Sad

PoorPatrol

VIP Member
Thrilled by my ‘metric ton’ of notifications of likes from newbies the last couple of days, mostly from threads of yore. Seek the truth my pretties, and abandon all hope (of getting anything done) all ye who enter here!

Pyou’re allowed a piss and a sandwich at any time FYI

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 70
She’s thinking of unlocking her account the day 6 months of restrictions have been announced (in England), she’s praying for a DKL. Us too tbh

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 68

MooBelle

VIP Member
Didn't she, not too long ago, imply that Prince Harry told her this tip in circumstances she couldn't possibly discuss?
She also said Prince Harry (IN PERSON) told her a 'top tip' when sharing nudes. If you mega enlarge said nude pic and put a teeny tiny code in the picture then if the picture is ever leaked you could zoom in onthe code and thus work out who had sent it.

Some observations i made at the time and still standby
1.Doesn't matter who leaked them, they are still public
2. If you share so many pictures of your bits and pieces with so many different people that you need to catalogue them then you need to fucking stop it.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 67

Mycuppatea

The way he talks about fostering, you don’t get a sense of love and care, it’s that same thing that Jack does - INSISTS on being so kind and helpful, but with a constant touch of bitterness about the personal cost. I totally agree that foster carers should be paid really well but those children need way more than a roof over their heads, they need to feel secure, wanted, and loved. Sounds like he begrudges being a foster carer and it’s all just such hard work - nobody’s forcing you mate!! I’m sensing that theme of wanging on about begrudging their self-imposed public duty. Army, fire service, fostering.
Both my children are adopted and one of them had a foster carer who was such a performative foster carer. It was all about her and her feelings, how everyone was always saying how amazing she was and how she sacrificed everything, and she made her own life so hard making sure everyone could see how perfect she was. It was really annoying to feel obliged to soothe her ego during our introductions to our child who, thankfully, was an oblivious baby and didnt know what a burden she was on the selfless angel among women who was paid to look after her. It must be toxic to live in that atmosphere when you are old enough to feel and understand it.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 66