Jack Monroe #424 She’s as Greek as Prince William

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The more I think about it, the more bewildered I feel. Surely she knew this would happen when she cropped the date out of her screenshot. The only reason you'd do it would be if it didn't align with her story.
Maybe I'm getting into tin foil hat territory but what if
1) she actually made the donation ages ago on a reasonable date
2) she purposefully cropped out the date to make it look as shifty as possible
3) squigs "harass" the foodbank (ie. double check when the donation was made)
4) foodbank confirms it was made a while ago
5) jack has proof that she is actually good, it's just nefarious trolls making her look bad, and all the trolls want her DEAD

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 64
I’m preparing for the Lazarus pesto as if I were preparing for a dream-job interview.
I keep looking at the blog post. Jack said the recipe makes two jars; she demonstrates this by adding two photos. The photos are the same jar. She’s added the same picture, with the same jar, same sticker with the same writing and same dirty mark on the sticker.
I SHANT do this:

Ingredients (made two decent sized jars):
D67A7658-F485-4D83-A09C-100C06AC042E.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 89
Re the Nigella & Jay Rayner quotes-is it good practice to recycle quotes from the past? Things change-loads of celebrities got it wrong about all sorts of people in the past (Savile for example, you’ll find loads of glowing praise for that nonce from others before his true colours became widely known). Obviously just an analogy but I’d have thought that it’s shady to recycle past statements. I only bought veganish because Nigella said it was great. It absolutely isn’t & I can’t believe she actually read any of the recipes

• Sad
Reactions: 40
On a mad grunk but jumping in with Jack's perception of class and also the real version.
Cupace20221103010832.png

Cupace20221103011240.png

Bonus laser eyes Jack. Behold the birthing of a pumble.
Cupace20221103013159.png

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 96
I found this. It's old but shows the back scratching. Jay must have realised his reputation would go down not up with the endorsement . Nothing to do with the slop.

If he has requested his endorsement be removed, I think it may well be because it reads as if he is praising the recipes in that particular book. If the recipes were closely looked at (roll on the e-book) I think it might be embarrassing for him to have called them 'a brilliant collection of enticing budget recipes'. I am unable to read the Telegraph article, but shameless to fake reviews for unread books.

Reactions: 33
Argh I can’t find nightmare pud!!! It’s in about Dec 2020

edit - credit Sideboob Bob
sound ON

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 38
Re the Nigella & Jay Rayner quotes-is it good practice to recycle quotes from the past? Things change-loads of celebrities got it wrong about all sorts of people in the past (Savile for example, you’ll find loads of glowing praise for that ponce from others before his true colours became widely known). Obviously just an analogy but I’d have thought that it’s shady to recycle past statements. I only bought veganish because Nigella said it was great. It absolutely isn’t & I can’t believe she actually read any of the recipes
I just read what she said - 'these are wonderful and inspiring recipes' as opposed to Nigel Slaters more guarded and non-specific 'she understands what it is like to be skint and have the desire to put something delicious on the table'.

I think once someone has said it, it can be quoted. I googled a few articles about endorsements and they basically said it was good etiquette to ask for permission before using one.

Reactions: 21
Maybe I'm getting into tin foil hat territory but what if
1) she actually made the donation ages ago on a reasonable date
2) she purposefully cropped out the date to make it look as shifty as possible
3) squigs "harass" the foodbank (ie. double check when the donation was made)
4) foodbank confirms it was made a while ago
5) jack has proof that she is actually good, it's just nefarious trolls making her look bad, and all the trolls want her DEAD
That only works if she shows that there were zero sales from when the donation was made until the shop closed

Reactions: 36
Place your bets till mackie is sporting these

• Haha
Reactions: 14
@Mendacious Trumpet you found the Christmas whichetty grub 🤢.
You're not wrong - really does look like them.

images (90).jpeg

I'd find it hard to choose between the grubs and that thing. It looks completely revolting.

I don't know that I'd actually be brave enough to eat the grubs. I'd probably faint / claim a religious exemption faced with either dish.
Unless we somehow manage to drag this guy through a time portal.
images (89).jpeg

I'd eat a lot of things for him.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 16
Same. I actually bought some salmon paste a few months ago, which is still sitting on my mantlepiece, because I was going to do the salmon noodles. I can't face wasting decent ingredients and energy on her terrible recipes, especially not in this economy. I just find disappointing food really upsetting. For reference - I have been known on at least one occasion to have burst into tears when I've ordered badly in a restaurant. I can't do it to myself. So I can simply applaud the brave Fraus and look forward to seeing the results with my hands over my eyes.

She's also got some crab paste recipes out there, if anyone fancies a pasty crustacean experiment? 🦀

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 20
The cynic in me looks elsewhere on Instagram for answers and potentially finds them, the person who keeps falling for her crap thinks she is not well and Instagram is a true reflection of what is going on and Twitter is her bravado.
Do you mean you see someone else on insta related to this and they’re indicating something?

Reactions: 12
What I’ve noticed from reading a few of Jack’s recipes is the amount of food she’s wasting, or not eating whilst it’s fresh. Is this because in reality she prefers to buy takeaway or ready meals?
In the Lazarus pesto I’m making she says at the start of the story that:
a large black bunch of mint in the fridge, some sticky soggy parsley and a clump of basil that had seen better days.
(Aware she’s probably filtered the photo, but the pesto looks quite vibrant and certainly not like it was soggy parsley and black mint)
She finishes the post with:
I want to try a coriander and lemon pesto too – and judging by the flagging bunch in the fridge, I might just get the chance to..!!

That’s just one recipe. Others have soft bendy carrots, sad looking mushrooms, potatoes with eyes. I mean, why is she letting fresh food decay in the fridge?
And just to say, I love using fresh herbs when I’m cooking, but id rarely have mint, basil, parsley and coriander all at once, going off. It seems such a waste of money.
Even more annoying if you consider that if you keep mint in a glass of water it will not only stay fresh it will sprout roots so you can plant it and have a whole load of new mint. Parsley and coriander also keep well in water in the fridge and you’d think as a ‘foodie’ and ‘chef who has worked in a professional capacity’ she’d know such basic stuff. Freeze chillis and sliced/ wedged lemons and limes, chives freeze really well. I think she’s trying to play on that really thin ‘I use whatever I have in’ shtick, forgetting that shouldn’t mean ‘everything I have in is off.’ More mithering but any time I’ve let a pack of herbs go off they’ve gone all slimy so couldn’t even have gone directly in a sauce let alone be the star ingredient as in basil for a pesto-it’s the fresh simplicity that’s the appeal-here, have my fridge casualty coriander, mint and peanut ‘pesto.’ 🤢

Reactions: 41
Argh I can’t find nightmare pud!!! It’s in about Dec 2020

edit - credit Sideboob Bob
sound ON
Thank god, I've used every combination of search term I could think of and couldn't find it😂

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I think it's the natural human instinct to think the best of people, and to want to help them, which is no bad thing. I keep thinking "well, if she just asked for help and was open and transparent, most of this could be resolved." I've even posted on here how she could sort out her Patreon mess and make it easier to manage going forward.
I must be a bleep because I've worn my Achilles heel out where Jack is concerned. No Vimes Heels here. Actually I think it's because I've already had severe narc exposure and I don't have the patience and sympathy for it these days.

On another note, when are we doing the slop along, is it just any time this month? I was thinking I could attempt this gummy, moist concoction at the weekend as I have all the ingredients. If it looks passable I might post it to Jack's publishers as a thankyou for endorsing Jack.
Screenshot_20221103-104506_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 49
Lads I've found my slopalong recipe..... it is something called 'smoky dogs' and involves inexplicably mashing kidney beans into a work surface. As a professional chef frau this is obviously something I do on the regular and sounds totally normal! Please update my list entry.

Still in the throes of Covid and actually now will wait for taste to return so I can enjoy my cooking experience in all it's true glory. Excited!

• Haha
Reactions: 63
That only works if she shows that there were zero sales from when the donation was made until the shop closed
For us and anyone with a brain yes, but I think a lot of squigs/blue tick friends would fall for it

Reactions: 16
The first participant in the Slopalong is underway as I type! We're on a separate Slopalong thread here now:

• Heart
Reactions: 42
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.