Jack Monroe #424 She’s as Greek as Prince William

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ll always keeping feeling sorry for her. It’s my Achilles heel and my Achilles are fucked.
I think it's the natural human instinct to think the best of people, and to want to help them, which is no bad thing. I keep thinking "well, if she just asked for help and was open and transparent, most of this could be resolved." I've even posted on here how she could sort out her Patreon mess and make it easier to manage going forward.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
A squig has just pointed out that Southend Vineyard's foodbank only accepts donations via PayPal.

She could have ringfenced the money in a Metro account because you can pay from a bank account through PayPal (which is what she's done) but that still doesn't explain why she would omit the date or not demonstrate she ringfinced it appropriately if that's what she did. It would stop a lot of the questions.

Reactions: 54
I have seen two different ads for Thrifty Kitchen. On one there are endorsements from Nigella and Jay Rayner, on others only Nigella. I wonder if Jay said NO.

Jacks pinned post features a cover with both quotes, as does Pan Macmillans website. Click through the 'pre-order' link to Amazon and Waterstones and the book cover has Nigella claiming Jack is a force for good in the world, not Jay enthusing about her brilliant and enticing recipes. 🧐.

eta Jack has pictured the actual book on her shelf, so time will tell if its a change on the cover that goes on sale.
Changes as late as this must be expensive. Serve the publishers right for not double checking. They are as bad as Jack.

Reactions: 27
I am an idiot and therefore can’t work out how to link to a post from a previous thread but @MistyWindows’ post about Jack’s Insta gave me questions.

Is there an *ink stain* on the bottom of that spoon? <starts to feel queasy>

Speaking of queasy, how the Slopalong has mushroomed is awesome but I am so relieved it’s in a separate thread so I can dip in and out of the slop at points my stomach can take it. SO sad there’s no official Dorito Tamales recipe I can tackle for the team so will softly, gently cheer on from the sidelines instead.

Can’t help thinking a thread where 40+ people systematically debunk any merit/tastiness/cookability of Jack’s recipes is actually incredibly, powerfully damning.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 56
Whoever is doing the mousaka, good luck working this one out.
Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic, and pop into a large pan with the oil. Cook on a medium heat for a few minutes to soften, then tip in the tomatoes, wine, lemon, herbs, salt and pepper. Fill a mug with water and pop it on the side. Bring it to the boil, then reduce to a simmer.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 83
I have seen two different ads for Thrifty Kitchen. On one there are endorsements from Nigella and Jay Rayner, on others only Nigella. I wonder if Jay said NO.

Jacks pinned post features a cover with both quotes, as does Pan Macmillans website. Click through the 'pre-order' link to Amazon and Waterstones and the book cover has Nigella claiming Jack is a force for good in the world, not Jay enthusing about her brilliant and enticing recipes. 🧐.

eta Jack has pictured the actual book on her shelf, so time will tell if its a change on the cover that goes on sale.
And remember that the Nigella endorsement has been recycled word-for-word from Bad Slop for Bad Days. Odd that either:

- They couldn’t find a new celeb endorsement, or
- They didn’t approach Nigella for a new one, or
- They did approach Nigella and yet strangely she couldn’t spend ten seconds creating a new one

Makes you think.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 72
Reading @colouredlines post about the Leggy timeline in the last thread has me recalling something and, well…

“So Jack, what first attracted you to the wealthy successful chef and restaurant owner, Allegra MacVeady?”
968AC175-D528-46C9-B0A2-472340ABB608.jpeg

Evening Standard, Nov 2013
D05B4E0C-555C-44E0-ADF3-DBFDC1805D53.jpeg
A8E7F0E2-7358-48B4-B6FF-FDF5A665C93A.jpeg

@colouredlines post in the last thread
A043E6BA-C512-40AA-9642-329B1031A180.jpeg

Guardian, Sept 2014
7132D045-20CF-41CE-B665-D77305D22ADD.jpeg
D6EFBD9D-0B4E-4A95-BCD1-9DE827A054BD.jpeg

Read: I’ve moved into my partner’s massive London house rent free and she’s inflicted me upon her kitchen staff, though I’m being disingenuous and entitled as duck by not saying any of that.

Also, policewoman new year wife? <<insert Mariah I don’t know her gif here>> (She LEFT, and I traded UP! 🤜 👊 🤛 High Fist Five!)
Edit 🥕

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 70
A squig has just pointed out that Southend Vineyard's foodbank only accepts donations via PayPal.

She could have ringfenced the money in a Metro account because you can pay from a bank account through PayPal (which is what she's done) but that still doesn't explain why she would omit the date or not demonstrate she ringfinced it appropriately if that's what she did. It would stop a lot of the questions.
If she hasn’t got an awful lot to hide here she’s doing an excellent job of appearing as someone who has. Her previous “look everyone I’m definitely poor” screenshots had the Metro logo clearly displayed. So why edit “Metro” out of the Teemill screenshot? And why not also take a very quick screenshot of the Teemill pages which show the takings? I think she’s fucked this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 50

If that is the case, it never needed to hit her bank account at all. Teemill pays into PayPal only, the foodbank accepts donations via PayPal?! So as soon as it came into PayPal, it could go out to them. There was NO (LEGITIMATE) REASON WHATSOEVER to move it into her bank account. Dodgy fucker.

Yet again a five minute perfunctory google could have told her this. Then she could have posted a dodgy screenshot of her PayPal and avoided providing evidence of yet more questionable antics around OTHER PEOPLE’S CASH!!! This fool couldn’t even cover up a needle with an entire field of bleeping haystacks.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 77
What I’ve noticed from reading a few of Jack’s recipes is the amount of food she’s wasting, or not eating whilst it’s fresh. Is this because in reality she prefers to buy takeaway or ready meals?
In the Lazarus pesto I’m making she says at the start of the story that:
a large black bunch of mint in the fridge, some sticky soggy parsley and a clump of basil that had seen better days.
(Aware she’s probably filtered the photo, but the pesto looks quite vibrant and certainly not like it was soggy parsley and black mint)
She finishes the post with:
I want to try a coriander and lemon pesto too – and judging by the flagging bunch in the fridge, I might just get the chance to..!!

That’s just one recipe. Others have soft bendy carrots, sad looking mushrooms, potatoes with eyes. I mean, why is she letting fresh food decay in the fridge?
And just to say, I love using fresh herbs when I’m cooking, but id rarely have mint, basil, parsley and coriander all at once, going off. It seems such a waste of money.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 80
And remember that the Nigella endorsement has been recycled word-for-word from Bad Slop for Bad Days. Odd that either:

- They couldn’t find a new celeb endorsement, or
- They didn’t approach Nigella for a new one, or
- They did approach Nigella and yet strangle my she couldn’t spend ten seconds creating a new one

Makes you think.
Nigella's quote is also on the cover of Cooking on a Bootstrap. I am surprised Jack didn't make it a slogan for her merch.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 48
She can't evidence overall takings and a timestamped donation which marries up to the demonstrated amount raised. She doesn't have it.

If this were a genuine error (I forgot to close the fundraiser, I was waiting for the final 30 days to lapse so I could donate in one lump sum, I honestly forgot) she could have cleared this up months ago and done what she'd promised with evidence. She could have owned her mistakes if there were ones. Instead she's spitefully digging a hole, one rusty spoonful of slop at a time. She's long missed the opportunity to admit there was an honest mistake. If she can't evidence a dated donation with proof that that was all that was raised, she shouldn't have lied about donating it.

I sincerely hope actionfraud are on the case because it is looking more and more like a crime was committed by the day. If she wants the backlash to stop she needs to provide proof of takings and a dated donation transaction.

• Heart
Reactions: 71
I thought of Jack last night when I got the donations for last night's meal for the homeless charity I volunteer for. I had to cook for 50 with 100 kippers, one pack of sausages and one of sausage meat.

I'm up for cooking her slop after that, can someone point me in right direction?

• Heart
Reactions: 43
What I’ve noticed from reading a few of Jack’s recipes is the amount of food she’s wasting, or not eating whilst it’s fresh. Is this because in reality she prefers to buy takeaway or ready meals?
In the Lazarus pesto I’m making she says at the start of the story that:
a large black bunch of mint in the fridge, some sticky soggy parsley and a clump of basil that had seen better days.
(Aware she’s probably filtered the photo, but the pesto looks quite vibrant and certainly not like it was soggy parsley and black mint)
She finishes the post with:
I want to try a coriander and lemon pesto too – and judging by the flagging bunch in the fridge, I might just get the chance to..!!

That’s just one recipe. Others have soft bendy carrots, sad looking mushrooms, potatoes with eyes. I mean, why is she letting fresh food decay in the fridge?
And just to say, I love using fresh herbs when I’m cooking, but id rarely have mint, basil, parsley and coriander all at once, going off. It seems such a waste of money.
It's because she buys so much of it and most of the time she's home alone. Tell me you're a spend thrift without telling me etc

Reactions: 37
She can't evidence overall takings and a timestamped donation which marries up to the demonstrated amount raised. She doesn't have it.

If this were a genuine error (I forgot to close the fundraiser, I was waiting for the final 30 days to lapse so I could donate in one lump sum, I honestly forgot) she could have cleared this up months ago and done what she'd promised with evidence. She could have owned her mistakes if there were ones. Instead she's spitefully digging a hole, one rusty spoonful of slop at a time. She's long missed the opportunity to admit there was an honest mistake. If she can't evidence a dated donation with proof that that was all that was raised, she shouldn't have lied about donating it.

I sincerely hope actionfraud are on the case because it is looking more and more like a crime was committed by the day. If she wants the backlash to stop she needs to provide proof of takings and a dated donation transaction.
Even if she doesn’t provide it publicly, pretty sure Action Fraud will be asking for it…

Whoever is advising her on reputation cleanup is doing a tit job. “Ok Jack, you said multiple times in the summer that the money Teemill paid into your personal PayPal had gone to charities (plural) you refused to name. So, provide evidence from your Bank Account of money going to a lone charity (singular) who accept donations via PayPal. Oh, and when writing your mea culpa apology, make sure you fill it with excuses and how none of it is your fault. Then wait an hour or two, then plug your new book”.

“What’s that? Patreon? Yeah, when you do that mea culpa, just use your Kickstarter list of excuses, make sure you call it a “small amount” of money, and yes, DEFINITELY post a photo of you fulfilling some rewards that demonstrates conclusively that you lied when you said most people were only giving you a quid”

“Pardon? Oh, yes, DEFINITELY make sure there’s a £1,000 laptop in it when you claimed 3 months ago to the day that you were writing job applications on your mobile phone while sitting in solar lit gloom and boiling soap to make shower gel. Make sure it’s front and centre in the picture, maybe with an expensive notebook next to it to show everyone how contrite you are.”

“Ok, finally, post a tweet almost solely consisting of lies you’ve told that can be easily refuted and disproved by your own published words. How about being expelled, being working class and being a single mother again? Eviction? Not enough characters. Just stick to the first three whoppers. That all should restore you to your former grift glory. Now, let’s talk about this bridge I have to sell to you…”

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 86
“What’s that? Patreon? Yeah, when you do that mea culpa, just use your Kickstarter list of excuses, make sure you call it a “small amount” of money, and yes, DEFINITELY post a photo of you fulfilling some rewards that demonstrates conclusively that you lied when you said most people were only giving you a quid”
And charge people £3.50 to read it.

• Haha
Reactions: 47
I wonder if she will make a triumphant return to This Morning to promote Grifty Kitchen?

If so, they should invite Eamonn back to guest host for one episode only.
I was wondering that, if she'll do a book promotion tour. We might have some new year watch-alongs to look forward to! Wonder who will have her on their show though... 😬

Also - I did not need to read Jack talking about snogging 🤢 first thing in the morning.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 35
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.