Jack Monroe #417 Hard to play the victim when you’ve ripped people off.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ooh, just been for a look on Wikipedia Proper, and…
I was looking for the Talk page to see if there was any interesting discussion of the changes - there's not - and stumbled across this instead:
Screenshot_20221018-180734_Samsung Internet.jpg
'Jack Monroe (character)' and 'fictional superhero' both seem like apt descriptions of our smol pixie.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Here you go. I’ve seen a few things along those lines
Late 2012 from her blog. Quits a job to become self employed, says ALL profits will go to good causes (via her PayPal). contradicts this the following month when she says she’s earning an income from her small business (on her own blog and in the national press)
View attachment 1659877

2013, Guardian. Sainsbury’s campaign: Living wage, rest to tax and charities
View attachment 1659823

2014, Guardian - pays self living wage, saves rest.
View attachment 1659864
I know there are more than this. I’ll dig around.
I've mithered about this before, but you don't pay yourself "the living wage" and then get to separate the tax. What I'm trying to say is that anyone genuinely earning the living wage through PAYE doesn't get to keep it ALL and have a "pot for tax". It's a completely disingenuous way of describing how she's faffed about with her fee from this.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 82
Late 2012 from her blog. Quits a job to become self employed, says ALL profits will go to good causes (via her PayPal). contradicts this the following month when she says she’s earning an income from her small business (on her own blog and in the national press)
View attachment 1659877

View attachment 1659823

View attachment 1659864
Sorry but like hell she turned down all those big brand deals, woman would shill hemorrhoid cream if it gave her more sideboard pennies 🙄

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
I actually asked my SIL this recently - she is a publishing non-frau 🔺️ and she said based on the lack of main stream media advertising and looking at sales figures for good food for bad days, at her publishing house the new one would have an advance of around 5-7k. Not something to be sniffed at but is it really worth it when she's raking in probably half of that per month on patreon?
That sounds about right. IME most publishing houses are reluctant to shell out too much for cookbooks because there's so many of them on the market - including self-published ones like Georgia Church Suppers - and it's very difficult for new books and new authors to get noticed. Jack has a "name" because of her "advocacy", and she also has an agent from a major firm representing her. That would increase her perceived value.

• Sick
Reactions: 34
Patreon seem to go out of their way to avoid giving refunds themselves, unfortunately - they want you to sort it out with the creator directly. We've seen evidence on twitter of at least one person getting a Patreon refund for the most recent month after showing that Jack hadn't responded to them.

View attachment 1659903
‘While it is discouraged, it is not a violation of our terms if a creator doesn't deliver the expected benefits’.

wow. how the hell does Patreon get away with this? And also the passing of the buck for refunds. I’d never heard of it until the Jackie nonsense. Glad I’ve never subscribed to anyone!

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 50
Too lazy to find the link from the last thread. The
Got them down as £60 3x “tiles” for locating lost keys/phones by internet magic :)

I hope she didn't continue after TV presenter, because that's 10 👉🦶:sick:

No dear heart, that's a different pair
Adds headphones trashed by gluing flowers on

View attachment 1659595View attachment 1659602
is that the flower crown headphones again? I hadn’t seen that photo!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 18
View attachment 1659877

View attachment 1659823

View attachment 1659864
Ralf Little this year said he thought she handed (I think Patreon) money over to TT. How stupid can you be Lurcher.

Attachments

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 53
wow. how the hell does Patreon get away with this? And also the passing of the buck for refunds. I’d never heard of it until the Jackie nonsense. Glad I’ve never subscribed to anyone!
I started subscribing to some musicians' Patreons during lockdown, and both of them have been excellent - private online concerts, transcriptions of songs, advance listens for new music etc. Quite unlike the smol pixie's 0️⃣

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Thanks dear heart. I’m thinking it must have been the guardian article because i wouldn’t have made a point of reading her blogs at the time. What a liar!
She has over a decade of claiming that part or all of monies being given/paid directly to her are going to charity, but providing minimal evidence of it actually going anywhere.

It started with her big house sale, then her craft business, then sort of just escalated from there. I’m trying to compile a list of everything with her exact claim, and where available evidence of how much was brought in and how much went out and to where.

As you might imagine, because I’m trying to be FORENSIC, it’s taking a while*, (I’m also BUSY working at a real job somewhere between Jack’s actual work hours and get claimed 100 hour work weeks)

One might almost describe me as doing this
Painstakingly
if one were so inclined. I’ll post here under a spoiler when I’m done. I know other ninnies will definitely have things to add that I completely miss.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 74
‘While it is discouraged, it is not a violation of our terms if a creator doesn't deliver the expected benefits’.

Patreon have taken a huge amount of venture capital, but have never quite made it as a tech unicorn. They've had a couple of rounds of layoffs, and are being valued at 70% less than they were a year ago. If anything, they're going to be fighting even harder against giving refunds from now on :(

(https://www.businessinsider.com/pat...d-past-year-ipo-postponed-leaked-memo-2022-10 has some interesting background info)

• Wow
Reactions: 29
That cloth, not even a careless teatowel, draped over the hob, and with plates on top!
My kitchen is usually a war zone- but the one thing I make sure to do is keep things safe re cables or heat. When I was about 12, I stopped my mum who was about to put her hands into a sinkful of dishes, because I saw that the kettle lead (plugged in and on) had slipped in to the water.
It takes a second for something to happen.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 40

That’s interesting, cos they’re recording whether or not creators are fulfilling their deliverables. Immediately after whether or not a user is suspended… Must just be for decoration? 🤷🏻‍♀️

EC7DDCCF-ABDB-4234-BFAD-8D89B887DFAE.jpeg

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
She has over a decade of claiming that part or all of monies being given/paid directly to her are going to charity, but providing minimal evidence of it actually going anywhere.

It started with her big house sale, then her craft business, then sort of just escalated from there. I’m trying to compile a list of everything with her exact claim, and where available evidence of how much was brought in and how much went out and to where.

As you might imagine, because I’m trying to be FORENSIC, it’s taking a while*, (I’m also BUSY working at a real job somewhere between Jack’s actual work hours and get claimed 100 hour work weeks)

One might almost describe me as doing this
Painstakingly
if one were so inclined. I’ll post here under a spoiler when I’m done. I know other ninnies will definitely have things to add that I completely miss.
I insist you refer to this in future as the Jack Grift Index

I insist..

(Not really, call it what the hell you want)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
I started subscribing to some musicians' Patreons during lockdown, and both of them have been excellent - private online concerts, transcriptions of songs, advance listens for new music etc. Quite unlike the smol pixie's 0️⃣
Fair play That sounds brilliant. 🥁

it seems like Jackie is utterly gaming the system though. How vile

Reactions: 26
That cloth, not even a careless teatowel, draped over the hob, and with plates on top!
My kitchen is usually a war zone- but the one thing I make sure to do is keep things safe re cables or heat. When I was about 12, I stopped my mum who was about to put her hands into a sinkful of dishes, because I saw that the kettle lead (plugged in and on) had slipped in to the water.
That happened to me, I was washing up a butter knife at the time. Just got a bit of a bzzz kind of sting, and then a big hug from my friend who was in the kitchen and saw it happen, thank goodness and could have helped if I hadn't leapt back and been able to let go. Lucky to tell the tale, and another reason why I always insist on wearing proper shoes in the kitchen.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
I've mithered about this before, but you don't pay yourself "the living wage" and then get to separate the tax. What I'm trying to say is that anyone genuinely earning the living wage through PAYE doesn't get to keep it ALL and have a "pot for tax". It's a completely disingenuous way of describing how she's faffed about with her fee from this.
Yes, and also worth noting that she doesn't say she has only put a sum equivalent to the tax liability into the tax pot. Hypothetically, that statement would be true even if she had put 99% of the difference between the total fee and the 'living wage' into the tax pot, and given the two charities 50p each. Not that I'm suggesting that's what she did, but it's another example of not making herself accountable. Which, ironically, she didn't even need to do; she earned the money, and was free to spend it as she chose.

Reactions: 34
I have said it before she is ABSOLUTELY the real life version of the picture you get in your first lesson of HE of kitchen hazards.

• Haha
Reactions: 42
I was looking for the Talk page to see if there was any interesting discussion of the changes - there's not - and stumbled across this instead:
'Jack Monroe (character)' and 'fictional superhero' both seem like apt descriptions of our smol pixie.
That does look like one of her gawdawful double denim ensembles. Plus he appears to be wearing Jack’s stunt hair.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.