Jack Monroe #392 This is why ppl cook you on that gossip app innit

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
sorry, I'm still on the pies

for one thing, she said she was doing one big pie featuring these ingredients yesterday; for another why is everyone in the comments salivating over them having learned what's in them?

I'm actually feeling stressed by this

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
Great work so far, GrannyOgg. Keep it up!!

On the literal autism: I had an old colleague who’s son was autistic. He used to take things very literally, for example: one year at Easter, he was making cards at school. The design of the card was a large Easter egg with smaller eggs made out of tissue paper.
he brought it home and my colleague and her family said well done etc. she said to her son along the lines of ‘that’s a lovely Easter egg, and I like all the wee eggs on the front of it too’. He responded ‘it’s not an egg with small eggs on the front. It’s a bit of paper with tissue paper stuck on it’.
that to me is classic literal thinking for someone with autism.
That's what I call being literal too.
Being autistic isn't about labelling your actions. I don't do stuff and then say,
"I did that cause I'm autistic.."
It wouldn't cross my mind really, until someone else is confused why I did something how I did something. How I do something is just how I do something..

If that makes sense, which probably doesn't.. Lol.

Jack's little joke, nothing to do with autism, just a sorry excuse for a play on words about some sorry excuses for pies.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 75
What's the betting she's been Googling 'dysphasia' for her next ailment (once the Polio has passed, obvs) and that's why it popped up as predicted?

sorry, I'm still on the pies

for one thing, she said she was doing one big pie featuring these ingredients yesterday; for another why is everyone in the comments salivating over them having learned what's in them?

I'm actually feeling stressed by this
Her fans are insane, and have no imagination, and no tastebuds, I assume?

Reactions: 42
Any one feel we may be in for a corker of a night… she’s behaved for a few days… SB has gone home from the day visit… tweets are speeding up as she “hoovers up” lots of “dust” and takes the stuff from “the pharmacy” 🤪

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 35
Yes Jack, you are so literal and famously never use figurative language. You certainly never once said in your hairy jackfruit patties with pineapple hats recipe that the texture of the mixture should be akin to the moment just before Wile E Coyote falls off a cliff. Incidentally that example still makes no sense to me but I don't think it's because I'm autistic, it just makes NO bleeping SENSE.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 80
Yes Jack, you are so literal and famously never use figurative language. You certainly never once said in your hairy jackfruit patties with pineapple hats recipe that the texture of the mixture should be akin to the moment just before Wile E Coyote falls off a cliff. Incidentally that example still makes no sense to me but I don't think it's because I'm autistic, it just makes NO bleeping SENSE.
Every thing she writes should come with a trigger warning.
Not because it's distressful and may remind someone of a hard time in their life though, it's because everything she writes is so banal, clichéd and fabricated that you'll want to drive into a wall at 100mph..

• Haha
Reactions: 35
Excellent point how we don’t all have a fully stocked larder/spice rack by Kerry Hudson (not squiggled as she has over 30k followers).
Or, like us, you DO have a full spice rack but everything's about 15 years past the use-by date, except the things you actually USE, which are empty.

• Haha
Reactions: 59
Just a small and trivial point.
“there’s a pie with your name on it. Autistic = incredibly literal”

but this isn’t an example of being incredibly literal is it? It’s knowingly making a play on words. It’s (if it even happened) a self-aware joke, not thinking that if you say “there’s a pie with your name on it” it has to have a name on it, cause you’re autistic and don’t understand idiomatic phrases.

I don’t want to diagnose anyone online and I don’t know a great deal about autism but I am not autistic as far as I know, and I might feasibly, jokingly text someone “there’s a pie with your name on it” if it literally had their name on it, because I’d see it as a pun around the idiom (the pie is meant for you) and the unusual reality (it actually does have your name in pastry)

my point is that this doesn’t seem an autistic thing at all?
I also wonder if a person who truly has Autism would also know that they 'are incredibly literal' and would have the awareness that the phrase has a not literal meaning. Would this not mean they actually can understand idioms and so would possibly not be super literal?
Sorry if this is offensive to anyone who either has autism or loves someone with Autism. My experience is limited to knowing children with Autism who definitely do not understand doubke meaning in this way

Reactions: 43
Miles behind so apologies if already suggested, but could housemate’s name be Brio?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 51
Every thing she writes should come with a trigger warning.
Not because it's distressful and may remind someone of a hard time in their life though, it's because everything she writes is so banal, clichéd and fabricated that you'll want to drive into a wall at 100mph..
Not only is her writing style the least typically autistic thing ever, but it's also the literary equivalent of those mouth sounds she was making at her Edinburgh thing. *boak*

I also wonder if a person who truly has Autism would also know that they 'are incredibly literal' and would have the awareness that the phrase has a not literal meaning. Would this not mean they actually can understand idioms and so would possibly not be super literal?
Sorry if this is offensive to anyone who either has autism or loves someone with Autism. My experience is limited to knowing children with Autism who definitely do not understand doubke meaning in this way
My kids and I are all (diagnosed) autistic, and vary in how literal we are. I used to be extremely literal, but now I really appreciate word play.
My kids also vary in how good they are at picking up on complex metaphorical language- but- (except maybe in cases of co-morbid intellectual disability), it tends to improve with age and experience: especially if you're a keen reader. It doesn't tend to be intuitive, though.

• Heart
Reactions: 46
Imagine the sinking feeling of dread you'd get if you were out, then someone informed you there was a black pudding and prune pie waiting for you at home. How ominous.
I just dread to think how many tins of Del monte she was gifted if the bleeding prunes are still being wheeled out at every opportunity 😳 😁

• Haha
  • Sick
Imagine the sinking feeling of dread you'd get if you were out, then someone informed you there was a black pudding and prune pie waiting for you at home. How ominous.
In a way it acts as a warning - to stop off at the chippy and guzzle as much as possible in the car

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 22
When my lad was younger I'd take him up the pub and friends would ask ' do you want a drink mate? Lager? ' to him.
He'd be , just water please, I can't drink alcohol on my tablets. Always made me laugh.
Adhd autism, doing his final year of IB , then off to uni

• Heart
The name on the pie is Boo (the 'I guess' is implied) and therefore the pie is actually for her. There is no housemate. Womp womp case closed.

• Haha
Reactions: 47
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.