Jack Monroe #383 Thrashing in a trap of their own making

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
i just asked my 12 year old what she’d do if i used her room for storage and said she could sleep in my bed but i don’t think i quite clarified that the question was hypothetical… i just think i experienced what it would feel like if looks could literally kill

• Haha
Reactions: 79
has she mentioned the housemate is regards to moving to the sofa? If one of my housemates started sleeping on our sofa I’d be quite annoyed as it would mean I couldn’t use the living room for a lot of the time… Although I suppose they’re already putting up with no wifi/cold showers etc! I’m relatively new - is there a timeline of the housemate or could anyone give me a recap? I’ve been following Jack for 2 yrs (since the covid school lunches stuff) and have only seen mention of a housemate from her in the last few days despite the fact she’s said they’ve been living there for sometime…

Reactions: 44
The lack of holidays provided by JM for SB may not be down to her. If I was SBs dad I would be threatening to go for custody if an unstable ex was thinking of dragging my kid more than a short drive away with god knows what burgers/blokes or substances likely to be consumed. If I felt I needed to give some normality of a family hols with his mum I’d grit my teeth book somewhere cheap like pontins and invite the ex along where we could control and outnumber the situation.

Reactions: 37
So she currently resides in a 3 bedroom home with a lounge and plenty of garage/shed space but she needs to move SB into her room and use his room as a decluttering space? All of this is in order to move herself, cat, dog and child into a one bed flat?
More than one reception, plus she recently posted a picture of the vast outbuilding which had been cleared for staging 🙄

Reactions: 22
has she mentioned the housemate is regards to moving to the sofa? If one of my housemates started sleeping on our sofa I’d be quite annoyed as it would mean I couldn’t use the living room for a lot of the time… Although I suppose they’re already putting up with no wifi/cold showers etc! I’m relatively new - is there a timeline of the housemate or could anyone give me a recap? I’ve been following Jack for 2 yrs (since the covid school lunches stuff) and have only seen mention of a housemate from her in the last few days despite the fact she’s said they’ve been living there for sometime…
The housemate question is very strange.
She recently said they have been there since last year. Despite saying she is not allowed a lodger.
Yet often she says she is alone in the house, and the housemate appears to contribute nothing towards the rent, bills or food.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 46
Can't afford to wash her hair but in the space of what, 2 weeks? Can have a weekend break at Pontins, 2 days in Edinburgh, go to Bristol and fly to Dublin? Mainly at her own expense she would have us believe. GTF. Billy liar has nowt on her.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
I know from this bizarre arrangement she seems to think is fine that SB patently does not live with her, but if he does, where is his 'stuff'? Clothes, games, books etc? All in her bedroom now?
And she, with her most painful arthritic shoulder ever, is going to sleep on a sofa for months? As anyone who has suffered from any kind of joint pain knows - a sofa instead of a bed is complete madness.
What exactly is the point of this exercise?
but she’s sooooo tiny, a sofa will seem massive to her teeny tiny body

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I think there is a science park/exploratory by there too (replacing the one at Temple Meads yonks ago)
Do you mean we the curious? (formally @bristol). There was a fire in the summer and it's currently closed for repair until January, but there's always so much to do. We do something different every week with our kids.
It's the last weekend the zoo is open in its current, historical location, she could come for the weekend and take him there on Saturday. There's Aerospace Bristol, so many museums and cinemas, climbing walls, bowling alleys etc and there are several cool exhibitions on right now like Wake the Tiger and the Van Gough interactive experience.

I've been trying to catch up for at least 15 threads now! I wanted to pop in when someone asked about what the tipping point for new people was. Hi, I'm a new person. And my tipping point was actually years ago, but I've been keeping my distance from the Jack topic on purpose because I am a twitterite.

I'm the same age as Jack and work in publishing, so I've been aware of her since the blog days. Like many a 20-something in publishing, I was a big blogger/Tumblr girl. I found Jack's blog while researching recipes for a cookbook I was working on for my company (we came for your niche 10 years ago Jack, we did a whole series on one pot, one pan, cheap eats!). I cottoned on that things weren't always entirely truthful, every blog post seemed to have contradictory statements, and as someone who did actually grow up in poverty, I was pretty offended by her cosplay. Everything she described was a laughable parody of what middle-class people thought poor people looked like, so for quite a long time I was convinced she was a Tory stooge. Look guys, you can survive on £10 a week you ungrateful, greedy, lazy scroungers! So I've kept tabs and popped off on Twitter from time to time.

I'm part of a cookery writers group (unfortunately not the famous whatsapp group, one for just us poor folk who actually do invent and test recipes or edit books for the famouses). Sometime at the start of the year, we all collectively agreed we'd had enough- sometime around Patreon/VBI/some decry that she's the only person cooking in the whole wide world, that we decided to email the Daily Mail and suggest they investigate.

Yes, sorry for it being the Daily Mail, but we decided they were our best bet since the other media outlets seem to revere her as some sort of working class diety, and also the Mail published quite extensive criticism of her after the Cameron tweets. We put together a little memorandum, a bit like the AwfullyMolly one, with screenshots and bullet points of her most egregious grifts and suggested they take a closer look. Nothing ever came of it. So when the AwfullyMolly thing came out there was some spiderman style finger pointing, but it wasn't any of us. But we think we know who it is because there are other groups like ours! it was only after this kicked off that I decided I couldn't take Twitter nonsense any more and came here. It's a much nicer place to be that the twitter hellscape, thanks for lots of laughs fraus!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 230
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.