Jack Monroe #382 Any thicker she’d set (unlike her white sauce)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
For me that was a painful read (not in a good way). And ill-informed at that. Contrary to what this piece states, she’s claimed to be working class on numerous occasions across the years. There are swathes of this piece that could be seized upon by Jack as a “gotcha” to any criticism of her (and not solely the compare and contrast with bad Jamie Oliver). And there are parts that are just nonsensical.

I am not coming from a position where I want or expect everything about her to be critical and get a thrill out of anything critical published. I thought that newer piece by Katie Roache (I’m making that name up I think-the one in past couple of days on the PDF download) was poorly written, inaccurate on even some basic facts and added nothing for eg. But particularly in the case of a press article or as here, academic research, I do expect it to be based upon rigorous (ie more accurate) research rather than, as here, cherry-picking to fit a predetermined academic thesis/argument. Some of this is so contorted to fit that thesis as to be nonsensical.

Also, and I say this as a former ‘academic’ with an actual Doctorate, but duck me, academic writing can’t half be dry as duck while being as overblown as duck- a bit like the writing equivalent of a hoop skirt made of radiator orange peel on a rollercoaster on a particularly windy day.

PS I’m also irritated that it takes no issue with her Jeremy Kyle shite- almost lauds it as JM being clear she’s MC in fact
I'm going to agree with you. Whilst I'm no academic (what do you mean, none of you would have guessed :unsure:you're all too kind😍😆😆😆) I forced myself to read that entire article and sat here shaking my head and saying "WTAF" out loud. My OH (who hasn't LEFT) was looking at me strangely (but gently, lovingly) asking what was concerning me. How to explain...?

If she reads that, she'll think it absolves her. That's my takeaway. It's long-winded and full of unnecessary wordery (yep, I made that up!), ie completely verbose! Perhaps that's just because it is a "scholarly" article, but it grinds my gears, so to speak. Not a happy 🐇! Jack Monroe, grifter is still a scamming, lying...*

Where's that Matei (probably got the name wrong but Hi anyway!🥰) gone when you need him? :love:

*What were the chances of me searching for a cockroach gif and the first one that pops up is only eating a fecking burger! DYING!! 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 50
"Tonight, on Can't cook, Shan't cook...Ainsley, I, Jack Monroe self professed saviour of the poor will be cooking...

Peaceful oat goblins, with ready brek and a light vinaigrette. Topped off with mushed avocado and capers.

For the main- Authentic Greek pizza, with a base made out of flour and blended, mushed, spaghetti hoops. Sauce made from tabasco and ground tobacco. And the topping being half a tub of lard mixed with powdered cheese and pickled herring.

For dessert I present to you...Warm ice cream, defrosted, refrozen and then heated in the mee crow wah vey, with prunes and foccacia bread. And a sprig of parsley."
This is superb!
Can't cook, shan't cook
nominated for thread title (for every thread forevermore)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 70
No. You normally go into the office to discuss edits or the ad campaign or whatever.

My theory is they told her to stfu on Twitter. And they thought it would be gentler and easier to contain if they went to her rather than getting her to come in. The last week has been an absolute catastrophe for the Jack Monroe brand. Molly, her appearance in Edinburgh (when she couldn’t even remember the core concept of the book they were supposed to be discussing - and this was supposed to be a promo for her new book not a rehash of an old one), the bonkers middle of the night shagfest, the attack on a disabled man. It’s a total car crash.

We know they left before 1pm because Content was drinking out of one of their glasses. And she’s been silent since. 4 hours and no tweets.

Looks like one of the grown up has taken Jack's phone off her. Luckily she has a secret emergency Nokia - waiting for the return of Mack Jonroe.

• Haha
Reactions: 46
That may or not be a joke.
There's just no way of knowing.
Screenshot 2022-08-31 17.07.28.png

Jack may be a liar but she'd never joke about her famous vintage pickled arseholes. These babies are authentic veterans of the 2021 £20 shops. Could even be yellow sticker boys or the rare and highly sought after night radish.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 72
Really want to know how many people were on the publishing team.
Imagine a fresh faced intern tagging along to go the house of a famous food writer for brunch only to be served
View attachment 1542820

"these cherry tomatoes taste...interesting" you say weakly.

"Ah that'll be because I fried them" Jack grins like a Cheshire cat as you eye them dubiously.

"In cheese"

<camera pans into horrified pupil of eager intern before fading fully to black>
How, just how, does she manage to make the most simplest of dishes look soooo bleeping revolting..?!

She is what happens to food when the cook is arrogant enough to not doubt all of the overthinking about every addition to the plate, and too lazy to pull it all off with anything like the required skill and creativity.

Reactions: 39
42 and still eat afters with a teaspoon.
Are you supposed to eat it with a different spoon?

Also, the texture of eggy bread with creamed spinach and avocado is too disgusting to contemplate. I guess it def wouldn't crumble your teeth.

• Sick
Reactions: 47
It’s the only way she get anybody round for a spot of lunch.

I mean, who would willingly eat snot and nipples on toast? Where did she get the thinly sliced nipple anyway? 🤔

Maybe the six hour stud never made it home? I think somebody needs to check under her patio tbh and check locally for missing males.

If they were last seen on cctv at maccies drive through, or the local 24hr garage buying johnnies and ear plugs, I’d say she’s bang to rights.

Call the fuzz.
Oh god she’s gone full Gein.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 37
Because Jack hasn't updated and sent stuff out, when you go to cancel, it says unable to cancel subscription due to pending transactions apparently. However Patreon can override that issue if you keep on at them.
Also found out, when you cancel there's an anonymous survey (see below). The more people who say content isn't delivered the more likelihood that the Patreon creators account will be suspended. However Patreon support really push people to talk issues over with creators and with Jack it seems impossible.

Am subscribed to some excellent creators on there who are very engaging, hence knowing a bit about it.
That seems like quite a big issue - Jack's activity (or lack of) preventing people from stopping giving her money. I wonder if she's aware?

Reactions: 22
Are they all toothless and over 80? Maybe mush on mush on mush with cheese-fried tomato mush and soggy radish appeals to people who struggle with chewing.
Hey Jackie I have a collaboration idea for you. Wiltshire Farm Foods have a range for people with chewing difficulties, perhaps you can contribute a special slop dish? (Which no one would choose, thankfully - they don’t deserve to be subjected to her “food”)

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Really want to know how many people were on the publishing team.
Imagine a fresh faced intern tagging along to go the house of a famous food writer for brunch only to be served
View attachment 1542820

"these cherry tomatoes taste...interesting" you say weakly.

"Ah that'll be because I fried them" Jack grins like a Cheshire cat as you eye them dubiously.

"In cheese"

<camera pans into horrified pupil of eager intern before fading fully to black>
On a grunk but I am compelled to ask why does everything look chock cold, slimy but dry and just..grubby? Plates always look coated in a kind of film. Sordid, manky cutlery plonked all over. Yuck.
Does she think it looks rustic ? Homely ?
Random. Back to grunking.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 42
For me that was a painful read (not in a good way). And ill-informed at that. Contrary to what this piece states, she’s claimed to be working class on numerous occasions across the years. There are swathes of this piece that could be seized upon by Jack as a “gotcha” to any criticism of her (and not solely the compare and contrast with bad Jamie Oliver). And there are parts that are just nonsensical.

I am not coming from a position where I want or expect everything about her to be critical and get a thrill out of anything critical published. I thought that newer piece by Katie Roache (I’m making that name up I think-the one in past couple of days on the PDF download) was poorly written, inaccurate on even some basic facts and added nothing for eg. But particularly in the case of a press article or as here, academic research, I do expect it to be based upon rigorous (ie more accurate) research rather than, as here, cherry-picking to fit a predetermined academic thesis/argument. Some of this is so contorted to fit that thesis as to be nonsensical.

Also, and I say this as a former ‘academic’ with an actual Doctorate, but duck me, academic writing can’t half be dry as duck while being as overblown as duck- a bit like the writing equivalent of a hoop skirt made of radiator orange peel on a rollercoaster on a particularly windy day.

PS I’m also irritated that it takes no issue with her Jeremy Kyle shite- almost lauds it as JM being clear she’s MC in fact
Yes to all of this. It's so terribly written. That horrible 'academic' style where 10 big words are somehow better than 5 clear ones. So glad not to have to deal with this anymore in my work. And yes, def a predetermined argument and everything chosen to fit it. It's ridiculous to claim that Jack isn't feminine or that she's so different from most other women or mothers. She's abnormal in the number of lies she tells, but otherwise very average.

Reactions: 47
She definitely had her son there to ensure the publishers wouldn’t say anything scary to her in front of him. And so they think she’s a busy single mum.

The pills were on display in bags on the otherwise tidy table just to remind them what a smol fragile pixie she is, too frail to finish her book on time.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 76
That seems like quite a big issue - Jack's activity (or lack of) preventing people from stopping giving her money. I wonder if she's aware?
Jack is always aware. She's a slink and they are not to be underestimated. Ten years of this. She's got stamina.

Reactions: 33
I remember when twitter first started kind of becoming popular I must have been around 17/18, and everyone was leaving school and starting uni ect... People would tweet things like "just completed my assignment, took the poodle for a walk and now coming home to cook some spicy pasta" basically narrating everything they had done in their day that no one actually cared about. Past the age of 20 people stopped tweeting things like this as they realised no one actually cares what they had for tea or how their operation went. Jack hasn't moved past the teenage tweeting stage of realising no one actually cares to hear you narrate your day on twitter. She's stopped taking tramadol for her shoulder but yet she still takes ritalin which some dealers actually bash up and use to sell to addicts. She won't touch tramadol but will pay 150 a month, in her own words for ritalin. ADHD is debilitating yes, but there are so many non stimulant options, the fact she's gone private suggests the NHS Dr has obviously told her no in the past. She's the definition of histrionic personality disorder. No one has experienced autism like Jack has, or arthritis or ADHD. I can guarantee that a lot of people on this thread actually suffer with a lot of mental health and physical issues but don't document it 24/7 to try and one up other people. It's so infuriating, lmao the list of everything Jack's tried for arthritis pain, why bloody bother asking anyone when you've literally exhausted all options. Oh there won't be a pain medication or solution that works for Jack's arthritis, it's just much more severe than anyone else's we couldn't possibly relate. She does realise there's an abundance of non opiate based pain medication, it's just pointless attention seeking.
If there were a solution, the attention would go away. A certain person I know had a dental abcess which they suffered bravely for quite some time until I made them go to a dentist (no they weren't afraid of dentists). Dentist prescribed amoxicillin. Person said they were allergic to it BUT TOOK IT ANYWAY (because it's not their fault if dentist said they should take it) Person ended up in hospital for a week with intestinal bleeding. Deep joy. Much martyr. Post-illness nursing happyness. Many years later, their ex told me all about the time Person had bowel c- and nobody even came to visit. (I was able to put them straight). Sigh

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 32
No tweets for more than 4 hours...meeting with the publishing team went well then :sneaky:

And you know the radish jar won’t have been properly sterilised in the first place
She probably just gave it a quick rinse under the cold tap, leaving behind the dregs of whatever was in there before. Peanut butter, bollock sausage runoff, thrice used fish oil...

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 36
He's managed to give one out of two away but is really struggling to get shot of the second. Really makes you think...

View attachment 1543184
I came back online to note that the traction he has had from this has been absolutely awful compared to the numbers of Jack’s books he used to shift when he put this offer out. I have in the past bought strangers a book via BGBS but I unfollowed when he became a Jackolyte.

Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.