Jack Monroe #356 I can put 30p in the mortgage, Harold!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Jumping forward 7 pages and resurrecting myself from the recently deceased to please encourage any lurkers to post the actual introduction to the rinsed hoop recipe, if you felt so inclined, on Twitter. I do not tweet nor interact with the twit, but there’s plenty of folk who do!

ETA just seen a squig is already ahead of the game. Of course. Good old squigs.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Every time I read the words "rinse your hoops" I am minded of the fact that "hoop" is slang (poss Irish?) for hole. As in "Stick it up your hoop".

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 47
As we as Arnold Palmer existing, if you Google gorgonzola semifreddo then there are recipes for it, so I bet she just followed a recipe in one of Allegra's cookbooks.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
You see what you’ve done there dear heart is acknowledge minor mistake, own up to it and then moved on. Whereas what you should have done is get passive aggressive with anyone who questions it, derail or just refuse to correct any misunderstanding. Do you need the rest of the Fraus to tell you how much you’ve done?
Do you literally want me to DIE? Softly gently send cashos and a large detached forever home-o*

*home must be better than my parents’ landlady’s and all of my ex OHs worth at least £550,000 and have an orangery and wisteria.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Thread nom (is this how it's done? Sorry Frauen if not) 'This latest chaos shall be known as Jack Sabbath'.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
An Arnold palmer is gorgeously refreshing, but it needs American style ice tea and lemonade, not tetley and r-whites.
Woo hooooo! I claim my life, sat on a porch, drinking Arnold Palmers, with Matthew McConaughey as my huzzzbun. Send cashos.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Omg that really is the lyrics! Between that, “havin’ hoops”, and the 1978 truthers, I think we’re all now living in an episode of Life On Mars.
If that means having a roll with hanging out with Det. Gene Hunt, then let the record show that I am ALL FOR IT
7EC37B7E-3E37-457A-A5CF-45BAE9823182.gif

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
Yes, that makes sense - my parents occasionally had a tube of that stuff and yes, as a child it really smelt like sick and I was at a loss to understand why adults wanted to add it to spag bol. As you say, it's nothing like fresh / fridge-store parmesan - I have that grated in a tub as well as hard (yes, I am so fancy! Also really lazy) and at least the fridge tubs have enough flavour to be a handy shortcut. But I'm guessing the fridge versions don't feature in a lot of foodbank donations, didn't an earlier frau mention they don't generally accept chilled perishables? Does anyone make the shelf-stable stuff anymore? I'm afraid to google, for the sake of my gag reflex.
I watched a programme about parmesan/ parmegiano *can't recall the rest of the Italian name...?!!! (reggiano?)The stuff that fails to be top class isn't wasted but becomes 'Italian Hard Cheese.' I need to get out more. Oh, and Jack ...hard cheese.

Reactions: 22
I did it

I just want to assure everyone that minimum food was wasted (especially @TheDragonWithAFlagon) my sister ate all of it and I have some quotes from her too.
Let’s embark.
8A242F86-2546-4C18-893E-970698F15910.jpeg

I used a little tin because they’re what I tend to buy, I also didn’t have any ‘dried cheese’ in as it’s not 1990. I used a tiny amount of Red Leicester instead.
A17497FF-C526-462A-97A9-913F1904A16C.jpeg

So firstly, as many suspected, it was very hard to rinse off the sauce. You can see below how orange the pasta still was.
I had to get my hands in which felt like a violation if I’m honest.
The sauce was also very gloopy and hard to get down the plug hole.
D7FC7D2A-ED52-45A7-BEDA-CA33572BF818.jpeg

6BF5CA3F-F141-4DFE-B12C-252E83BFDC39.jpeg

Now the microwave (pronounced how Mom would), I thought the amount of time stated was WAY too long and it probably was. It was hissing and popping away like mad in there, as if it were trying to beg for me to put it out it’s misery.
20CBE801-A76B-45DD-B74E-91BFFAD37A68.jpeg

CC139AB3-D123-4166-9D87-21312963CD98.jpeg

It came out steaming and hotter than Satan’s bollocks.
AF2B0691-EBAB-48BE-B993-ED7950A9C138.jpeg

I added a tiny bit of butter and my poor cheese, along with loads of pepper.
30862D43-3431-4BAB-9D28-6BF69F451828.jpeg

Finished product smelt terrible, but was actually much more intact than I expected!
The length of ‘cooking’ time kind of dried the pasta a bit? But it was definitely overheated and started to cool and got mushy very rapidly, the sauce definitely plays a role in keeping them warm.
Like I said I told my sister I’d buy her a brewskie if she ate it and she did without much trouble.

IN CONCLUSION:

It wasn’t awful, but was a waste of time. It just tasted like the sauce but was dryer, so if you have spaggy hoops and don’t like the sauce it’s pointless and you’re tit out of luck I’m afraid.
The pepper taste did cover up the tomato a bit, but you may as well just add pepper to the sauce 🤦🏻‍♀️ I usually put salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce in and herbs if I’m feeling FANCY, so there you go stupid poors I bet you never thought of that! *rattle tip jar*
Physically, I honestly think it was more effort than cooking dry pasta, yes it’s quicker, but still involves draining, pouring and stirring so what’s the bleeping point?
ALSO I don’t know this but suspect a colander wouldn’t work, I think the hoops would slip through.

As my sister said “it’s… something”, it’s edible but pointless.
It also felt and looked depressing 😅 when I summoned her upstairs she said that she was ‘looking around for some kind of dish, only to spot a little orange bowl of sadness’.

TA RA tatty bye! 👋

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 157
Reporting for duty! Not sure if she’d ever mentioned it before this, but she sort of indicated during that relationship that she invented said drink and her and 6ft big car OH used to drink it, and posted a pic of it in (I think) seedlip bottles?

That was a tortured sentence, sorry. Not fixing it though because I am EXHAUSTED.

ETA original screenshots from dearest @Marmalade Atkins and the original post and ensuing chat is here

89AC7519-5C76-4119-893F-FDC510D83EF6.jpeg
C6ABBDEE-3F5E-41CC-89A4-775F9A1282C0.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 32
As we as Arnold Palmer existing, if you Google gorgonzola semifreddo then there are recipes for it, so I bet she just followed a recipe in one of Allegra's cookbooks.
Blursty kindly collated all the mentions of this monstrosity a while back https://tattle.life/threads/jack-mo...essicated-olive-and-grape.15760/#post-3976476

I just noticed that in one post she's called it 'torta con gorgonzola semi freddo' and am confused about a. how she's making a semifreddo tart and b. why she's describing an Italian recipe in Spanish.

• Haha
Reactions: 45
Does anyone want to make a new thread? I would offer to, but I don’t think I‘d be able to focus properly and would end up doing a chaos.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
The support on Twitter is from all the usual suspects who are assuming the Tories are slandering JM again - they're blissfully ignorant of the actual issues about her. The Patreon threads need shared far and wide. #releasethepatreonfigures

• Heart
Reactions: 39
I like to make a hard Arnold Palmer (fnar fnar) by adding a measure of lemoncello to iced tea and still lemonade.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 33
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.