Jack Monroe #332 A doctor, a teacher and a ceramicist walk into a bar

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Dear “money’s too tight to mention” Jack, are you going to be selling your hairpieces as well? If so, will you be listing Mick’s Merkin or did you have to give it back? Asking for a friend

573DEFAF-EABD-4E95-B3AE-F389C4F0FD49.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 47
I don't like vinted. It is terrible. I do use charity shops though frequently. To buy and donate.

No offence but if she sells her tat on vinted it will literally make about 60quid tops, even for high end shizz. My mates are always banging on about getting designer gear for pennies off there.
Vinted can be terrible. It tries to get you to list your clothes ridiculously cheap and then you get lowball offers. You do OK out of high end stuff that still has tags attached. If you present stuff nicely and write a product description, you tend to get more interest. But there’s no way she’ll be arsed to do that.

But then we may as well speculate about what would happen if Jack got her hands on a flying unicorn, because there’s as much likelihood of that as her sticking with a project. (The answer is she’d bung it in a curry.)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
Given that Cooper's nose injury was inflicted by Brambly mice, perhaps there is a literary theme with the Dane too and it was The Great Dane Who Came To Tea...

It ate all the food in the house...so Jack's parents had to go without
It drank all the water in the taps...leading to hygiene poverty
It drank all the beer in the fridge...less said about that the better

So Jack had to go out and have bollock sausages for tea

And it never returned after that, it disappeared without a trace tootling 'godbye goodbye goodbye', leading some to question if it had ever really existed in the first place.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Honestly though, if she literally is struggling this much after living on 20 pound a week and selling all of her stuff, she really needs to assess her career.

I'd love to tell her imagine a world where you get a set wage every month and you use that wage to buy and pay your bills. This is what a job provides.

Freelance only works if your any good at it and can budget and get lots of work!

Reactions: 33
I am convinced Harold (HE LEFT) was a retired analyst/accountant and handy with a spreadsheet.

Now there is nobody to do the data entry from the lever arch files to Excel, the VBI is no more 😢

• Haha
  • Sad
In no way could I be described as a minimalist, but even so, the background in every picture of her house stresses the duck out of me. So much stuff and clutter on every available horizontal and vertical surface it makes me feel itchy/shudder
And LJC lurking in the background

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Try not buying them in the first place you stupid fud
Umm, sweetie, I think you’ll find these were investments. She spunked her book advance money on designer bags and Burberry trench coats so that she could sell them when there was a rainy day. So all she needs to do now is find someone in the market for a minging Mulberry bag and that forever home will be hers.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
Sorry Manc, I’m not sure this is right. Lots of clothes do get recycled but many are exported to other countries where they either depress the local textile industry or are dumped in landfill. Last year the UK exported 80m dollars worth of used clothes to Ghana alone.

I’m not saying this to be argumentative, but the belief that all donated clothes are re sold or recycled or given away to be used is a misconception. There are simply too many used clothing items in the world and we are just making more and more. Giving your used items to a charity shop doesn’t wipe that out.
That is what I love about this site, we can always discuss things without taking offense and learn something as we go.

Our charity sends the unusable textiles to a company in Bradford that turns it into insulation, furniture wadding, table protectors and all manner of things.

I know that charities do sell surplus textiles and would hope that they would ensure that the company buying them would dispose of them ethically. Though what a company says and then does is a totally different thing.

As for on topic Jack, her clothes may as well be sold by the Kg, they will end there anyway. Who the hell want her worn out or tasteless clothes?

• Heart
Reactions: 74
Honestly though, if she literally is struggling this much after living on 20 pound a week and selling all of her stuff, she really needs to assess her career.
You're right, but I don't believe she's struggling. Recent-ish Jack expenses include a trip to Venice, buying an expensive dog, etc. plus she manages to pay rent for a house in a posh area.

• Heart
I don’t know she’s bothering really - the sale of her clothes is going to make pennies, if she’s lucky. Whereas she’s due another big fat Patreon windfall any day now. 🙄
It was used as a reminder that despite being on television this week and having a designer dog, she is still saving for a forever home.

Reactions: 37
Umm, sweetie, I think you’ll find these were investments. She spunked her book advance money on designer bags and Burberry trench coats so that she could sell them when there was a rainy day. So all she needs to do now is find someone in the market for a minging Mulberry bag and that forever home will be hers.
My mate sold a mulberry bag recently. I think she got 100 quid for it. She was annoyed but she had no use for it. I think it cost her about 400

• Wow
Reactions: 28
I wonder how long before her stuff appears online? As if you'd want a saggy grey sports bra anyway!

• Haha
Reactions: 22
I’m sure the Great Dane was her parents’ dog. Given that Great Danes have short life spans so it’s unlikely it was a childhood pet if it died ten years ago, more like they got it when she was in her mid teens so she probably only lived with it for a few years. As usual she’s stretching a tiny bit of truth to breaking point.

Reactions: 28
You're right, but I don't believe she's struggling. Recent-ish Jack expenses include a trip to Venice, buying an expensive dog, etc. plus she manages to pay rent for a house in a posh area.
Every comeback to her avaricious tweets now seem to refer to the Forever Home and security for her and her boy. She's gone from denying she makes any money from her 'campaigning' to saying she deserves every penny, basically. Just an observation of her new tictacticals!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 53
I’ve looked at selling clothes I’ve probably definitely spent thousands on over the last 20 years. Resale prices are tiny for used clothes, no matter how good quality. Will donate them if they are wearable or sell them to a weight place for recycling for about 50p.

It won’t make a dent in the 100k deposit you want to save - it’s barely worth doing. Give to charity and curtail your spending and you will declutter and save far more effectively.

• Heart
I give my decent stuff to Thrift. You just put it all in a bag and send the bag off. They do all the work. You nominate a charity and they can either have all the profit or half, you get the other half in thrift credit. I sell very little unless I bring the price right down to peanuts but it is nice when I get an alert that someone has bought something.
(This is just a recommendation for any other Fraus)

• Heart
what annoys me more than anything is her attitude. She says this is all for a forever home, however recently she has spent £££ on herself and seemingly nothing on the boy, will get get a holiday this year? Will he have trips to fun places, or will he be told the funds are to be saved for the forever home that is still years away. To be honest if I was her, I'd make shapes to fix my relationship with LL so I can stay put, work on getting a more stable career, spend the next few years doing all of the things with the kid and then once he has flown the nest, start looking into a forever home.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Sorry Manc, I’m not sure this is right. Lots of clothes do get recycled but many are exported to other countries where they either depress the local textile industry or are dumped in landfill. Last year the UK exported 80m dollars worth of used clothes to Ghana alone.

I’m not saying this to be argumentative, but the belief that all donated clothes are re sold or recycled or given away to be used is a misconception. There are simply too many used clothing items in the world and we are just making more and more. Giving your used items to a charity shop doesn’t wipe that out.
What should we do with our clothes then? (Apart from dyeing them/not dyeing them and getting into twitter spats). My stuff is unlikely to sell on ebay and I don't want to just send to landfill.

Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.