Jack Monroe #332 A doctor, a teacher and a ceramicist walk into a bar

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Am I in a fugue state? Hasn't the selling clothes bit been done before? All the black sacks in her wardrobe, the admin involved!

bleeping hell, Jack. Get a job. Get a life. Get lost.
She said she even packaged them up last time. Despite not advertising or selling any.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
I've sold loads on Vinted. I used the money to buy...more clothes off Vinted.
Feel stupid now, I could be writing this in my forever spite orangery. 🙄

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 73
School polos that have gone grim make great cleaning cloths. They're knit rather than woven fabric so don't fray if you cut them.

Old socks and pants and worn out t-shirts are good stuffing for a draught excluder. Which we are all going to need this winter.

And just buy less, if you can, or commit to buying second hand not new. Capsule wardrobes are brilliant if you can make them work for you. Visible mending can look cool.

If you have a sewing machine, largish squares of old shirts/dresses/blouses/bedding and a rolled hem = hankies. Don't buy polyester blend, it never breaks down, buy cotton.
Back on topic, are we a step closer to the Return of the Slop? Or is the Slop Era as over as the Vague Bishop Indieband Era?

• Heart
Reactions: 30
I love how she keeps saying owning a home is security. It's not that secure pet. You don't pay your mortgage yer out on your ear just as quick if not quicker than not paying your rent. It's not your home until the bank says so.

Also you also have to have insurances and be ready to shell out for maintaince. Owning is not all its cracked up to be.
This is exactly why I don't own a home. We could afford to buy but we are settled in our council flat and if there are any issues we have one number to ring and it's sorted out for us relatively quickly. We don't have to worry about getting the right person to do a job for us or worry that we'll get ripped off or even worry that we won't be able to afford repairs after we're retired. A forever home can be a ball and chain, especially if you are POOR like Jack. My mum owned her house but she couldn't afford repairs in retirement so she sold up and moved into an RSL bungalow so even if you buy you can still end up renting

Eta I know it's quite different if you are in private rented, I've been there too, moving almost every year when I was younger, that's tough

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
If you want to get a good idea of just how cluttered it is then I would recommend popping over to the Daily Kitchen Live watchalong thread.
Someone posted a quite frankly horrific video from the company that produced the Hellmans live IG videos.
It was a promo for how good they are as a company and shows many, many slo mo pictures of Jack's grim kitchen and hallway. You can see the dust and oil on top of the utensils hanging on the rack. There's even footage of the outside of the not crappy not bungalow.
Or maybe don't watch it. You don't want an aneurysm.
Screenshot 2022-07-01 at 11.37.45.png

• Haha
Reactions: 29
School polos that have gone grim make great cleaning cloths. They're knit rather than woven fabric so don't fray if you cut them.

Old socks and pants and worn out t-shirts are good stuffing for a draught excluder. Which we are all going to need this winter.

And just buy less, if you can, or commit to buying second hand not new. Capsule wardrobes are brilliant if you can make them work for you. Visible mending can look cool.

If you have a sewing machine, largish squares of old shirts/dresses/blouses/bedding and a rolled hem = hankies. Don't buy polyester blend, it never breaks down, buy cotton.
Back on topic, are we a step closer to the Return of the Slop? Or is the Slop Era as over as the Vague Bishop Indieband Era?
Ooh this made me think (and sorry if it’s been said already) - old T shirts are meant to be good for drying hair! Less damaging than towels but still absorbent. Signed, someone who also just learned that apparently it’s not actually particularly good for your hair to let it air dry 😔 or sleep on it wet 😔

Reactions: 21
Ooh this made me think (and sorry if it’s been said already) - old T shirts are meant to be good for drying hair! Less damaging than towels but still absorbent. Signed, someone who also just learned that apparently it’s not actually particularly good for your hair to let it air dry 😔 or sleep on it wet 😔
No dear heart, dirty leggings are the way to go for hair drying needs.

Also, here's a thought, she said use shampoo for all your washing needs, but has also said she's a no shampoo type of gal. So she uses shampoo for everything but her hair? Hmmmmm.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
I give my decent stuff to Thrift. You just put it all in a bag and send the bag off. They do all the work. You nominate a charity and they can either have all the profit or half, you get the other half in thrift credit. I sell very little unless I bring the price right down to peanuts but it is nice when I get an alert that someone has bought something.
(This is just a recommendation for any other Fraus)
Thanks for this! I've been putting off doing a boot sale for weeks as I can't find the time, so I think I'll just do this instead!

Reactions: 18
Have you tried leggings?

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 46
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.