Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Octopies

Chatty Member
Hello lovelies. I’m sorry to say I’ve had some time off. The last Monroe-ing I caught up with was the fateful this morning appearance. Then I went off about my usual life and kept meaning to catch up on the threads.

Anyway, last night I got a late night call to say my mum had gone into hospital. I don’t really know why I’m telling you this, other than, you feel a bit like friends, for someone who doesn’t have many real life friends. I am an adult, but an only child, and I feel really helpless and very responsible. I feel like a kid again.I am scared. I’ve stayed up all night in case of an update. I couldn’t stand to miss a phone call, especially if things deteriorate.

And what’s kept me going (and awake) are these threads. I was suitability SHOOKETH at JMs appearance on TL. Amazing stuff. Still catching up slowly but just wanted to say thank you for being my company this evening, even if you didn’t know you were helping someone, you were

x

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 98

Pixieoneeye

I am beyond raging with her comments regarding the cancer cookbooks. I have come out of lurking because of her bloody ouchy mouth.
My mum currently is battling oral cancer. She had the tumour under her tongue removed, as well as most of her tongue and all her teeth. She had just gone through 6 weeks of radiotherapy which had left her with burns and permement oral thrush. She has a RIG tube directly into her stomach as she cannot take food any other way. Jack shut the fuck up about your sore mouth. As you cannot comprehend how "ouchy" a mouth can actually be. (Sorry, rant over)

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 90

Begborrowsteal

VIP Member
Folks, im 1.5 bottles of wine down, mid discussion with the cheating fuckhole of a fiance, but I honestly love this thread and the comfort and empathy you guys provide. Monroe can try and paint us as trolls all she wants, but you have all really helped me and I cannot thank you all enough ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 87

Aug1977

Hi. This is my second ever post. I registered a long time ago as was directed here by the Sali Hughes vid. I have to say I wasn't keen on the vibe so I didn't come back. Now I am here because of Jack Monroe. I've followed her for a long time because I liked her books and her writing but after a while I started to notice some inconsistencies, odd details (I can't afford bus-fare to take my kid to school despite being a best-selling author, journalist, commentator and so on) and weird timeline of events around her career and how long she was in grinding poverty etc. that made no sense whatsover (I'm very much a details person so I tend to notice this stuff). I also got increasingly annoyed with the way she handled the whole trans thing which was obviously a phase and her suddenly deciding she was female again when she won a Women of the Year award or whatever it was. She is very quiet about that period of her life interestingly. The threatening people with legal action on the Kickstarter campaign was awful, not to mention the relentless bullshit she posts on Twitter about her personal life. It seems terribly convenient how she is always a victim and manages to hit evey 'intersection' going in regards to identity.

The main issue I have was that I really was brought up in poverty and have experienced grinding poverty for a loong loong time, so I find her constantly pleading it whilst flashing off her nice home and various paraphernalia really really insulting. I find the whole 'I am Queen of the Povos' schtick really upsetting when in actual fact she experienced poverty for a relatively short time. You'll notice the timeline changes a lot - one minute it is six months, the next eighteen months - I feel like she is tourist and we are all here to make her feel better and tell her how much of saviour she is.

I also have a chronic illness and take a shedload of medication and struggle to get shit done on a daily basis. I find her competitiive 'I'm so very very disabled' act quite insulting as well. She may well have arthritis, I'm not suggesting she doesn't, but her behaviour and actions often don't reflect what she says. Take this mornings postings. How, if she is so delirious in pain, has she managed to get up, get dressed up, take her picture and go out to the supermarket early in the morning? Does she forget what she posted? It's there in black and white! The hyperbole and shoe-horning in anything to see her as a victim does my head in, as well as the rage postings when someone corrects her or challenges her.

With all this in mind, I've decided she is not who I thought she was and have breathed a sigh of relief when I found this board. I'm not the only one noticing the absolute horseshit she comes out with on a daily basis.

• Heart
Reactions: 86

LennyBriscoe

VIP Member
FFS! I just had a marathon Grunka and I’d only been away a few hours. Soooooo grateful there were no more underwear shots 😰.

@Harrybosch we’ve got a resident expert for Bosch and Briscoe’s Kitchwn Disco - @Quincy M.E (retired) 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 (LOVE Quincy, he doesn’t give any fucks either).

I come on here every day, probs addicted. I don’t read the DM anymore, which I was reading even though it made me feel shitty. And I don’t go on Facebook as much. I’ve mentioned before that my son has Autism and GDD and he won’t sit and play a game with us, or have a cuddle and watch a film or anything, he dots from room to room and we have trouble getting him to engage in things other than his iPad. And I hate it. I hate that this happening to him and us. So here’s my go to place because it’s a like having a chat with your mates. I too love the fact that there’s no arguments and people on this thread are respectful. And I have proper laughed so many times in the last few months.

• Heart
Reactions: 84

colouredlines

VIP Member
20200627_091917.jpg

There once was a woman called Jack
Who wanted to give poetry a crack
Though egged on by her fans,
She was trounced by THAT MAN
Because there's nothing poetic about chickpeas bathing in their own ephemera, you loon

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 79

MarmiteExtract

VIP Member
That’s hilarious new levels of self-centred. Yes, Jack, the universe does send you ALL the horrible things, like millionaire fiancées, prime TV slots in your chosen industry, a healthy kid, a good relationship with your child’s father, five-figure earnings for what seems to be a job that involves very little prep...

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 71

byropaw

Hello! This is my first time commenting. I found you all when I was trying to work out all the inconsistencies in Ms Monroe's story and laughed with pleasure when I arrived. Since then, I've settled in to enjoy.

Anyway, today is Saturday my time. I have to speak. The kitten, the fan proposed crowdfund, the mouth ulcers, the cook seeking inspiration about food then making her own recipe, Kind Twitter, recalibrating her social media relationship... I cannot believe this, and I'm so embarrassed for her. Also my new phrase when someone is annoying is, "Oh triangulate me"

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 70

Pocahontas

VIP Member
CHRIST JUST STOP in-bloody-deed, Jack. She *does* understand that they're simply responding to what *she's* putting out, doesn't she?
Here’s a thing... now call me crazy, but ..
If you don’t want strangers’ opinions on your wildly dramatic and escalating physical ailments, how’s about don’t post it on your sizeable platform of sycophants????? You massive, massive TOOL.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 67

Hunty

Chatty Member
Fucking hell, playing catch up as always and have only just finished the Shan't thread and I just had to get this off my chest so I will apologise in advance if this upsets anyone and is probably totally way off what you are all talking about by now...

I am beyond raging with her comments regarding the cancer cookbooks, no idea what she was trying to achieve with mentioning those, well I do, attention obviously.. my grandfather died a few years ago of throat cancer, he had radiation tharapy and what it did to his mouth and throat was horrific, the burns it left, he lost part of his tongue, the pain he was in, and he eventually died from it but watching him suffer, not able to eat proper food, no longer able to have the foods or drinks he enjoyed and you are moaning about a few ulcers and shit you have done to yourself supposedly, because let's face it you lie so much who knows if it's true and if it is, it cannot even begin to compare to those who have had and are suffering cancer to so even mention cancer cookbooks is disgusting, you are a despicable fucking cunting cretin and you can burn in fucking hell for those comments

I'm sorry folks but this has really tipped me over the edge of all the shitty stuff she has said and done, this has rubbed me up a different way, 🤬🤬

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 66

colouredlines

VIP Member
Thread title suggestion:

Jack Monroe #34: When your medicine cabinet won't lift your gloom, the nice lady doctor prescribes Facetune

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 64

I steal names

VIP Member
I'm just looking at the photo of her get up for going to the shops and pondering. Do you think her neighbours ever look out their windows and wonder WTF she's up to now?

"Margaret, quick, that woman next door is moving a giant sideboard into the house, on her own!"

"Margaret, she's been out again. They must be decorating, she's carrying 15 tins of paint with her now".

"Margaret! She's banging about in that old shed, I think I see her with more sideboards now..."

• Haha
Reactions: 63