Jack Monroe #321 It's just that Jack wasn't especially cool or well liked

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had a Scottish friend who had a Ford Mondeo (that autocorrected to Monroe šŸ˜‚) with a number plate that was something like W369 FUD. He couldnā€™t sell the thing for toffee.
I worked with a girl years ago whose company car arrived with that reggie. We were all gutting ourselves and she claimed she had no idea what it meant . Fair enough,but she was able to change it and did so when every day on arrival the car park boys said ā€˜ itā€™s always great to see ( insert colleagues name here) fud coming into the car parkā€™

• Haha
Reactions: 23
I realise that this probably makes me sound really stupid, but i do not understand what the VBI could actually achieve? Or what it might look like.
I understand that the original VBI was pointing out thay cheaper items are por quality and poor quality items cost more long term.
How would that work for cheaper/ poor quality foods? Is it that smaller boxes/packs cost more per 100g? Most shops show the cost per kg or 100 or whatever in store, so Jack's spreadsheet is redundant.
Then I think it has been suggested that it would track increases in goods through the last x number of years. Again, i don't think many people on the breadline give a tit about the average/increased cost of bread for the last 5 years, they care if they can afford it now. Informative maybe but not helpful to those in need. So VBI is pretty pointless here too for thise who actually need to budget.
Then i wonder if it is tracking the cost of shopping vs income, but hasn't that been done too..
Someone please explain thsi because I just don't understand what it is or, more importantly, what it is FOR

I worked with a girl years ago whose company car arrived with that reggie. We were all gutting ourselves and she claimed she had no idea what it meant . Fair enough,but she was able to change it and did so when every day on arrival the car park boys said ā€˜ itā€™s always great to see ( insert colleagues name here) fud coming into the car parkā€™
What does it mean? I really don't know

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Thank you everyone for being so kind after I had a big wobble last night. I've reigned it in and am all set to get back to what I need to do. Thank you x

On topic, true to form, I thought of a retort about five days late for the cannon and the Peasants Pudding (it may have been said!)... Eton (t)rifles

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 87
Am in Asda, the Smartprice range Jackie has been banging on about, how she had reinstated etc...has been phased out and is now Just Essentials, all different prices. Many lines discontinued. How is she going to cope?!
It is indeed, and they have Just Essentials avocados! Wonder whether Jack will have a snarky dig at them about that, just like she did with Waitrose..? šŸ¤”

• Haha
Reactions: 27
You have no idea how tempting it is to buy all 99p variants of vimesbootsindex.com, connect them all and then just put this page up but I fear I'll be forcefully ejected from Tattle if I do it.

View attachment 1333376
Well you are not directly interacting with mackie? It would be glorious šŸ˜‚
we could of course have 'does the vimes boot index exist?' No! As a thread title and let google do it's thing?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
I feel like someone should buy the domaine name ā€œVimes boots indexā€ then create a web page to explain that it doesnā€™t currently exist and that itā€™s been xx weeks/days/hours since the date promised it would be ready by. At least then when people go looking for it theyā€™ll know the truth.
I know just the person for this (if not already suggested)ā€¦. @traumatised sideboard

Put Slopbot on the front cover of it šŸ¤£

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
I realise that this probably makes me sound really stupid, but i do not understand what the VBI could actually achieve? Or what it might look like.
I understand that the original VBI was pointing out thay cheaper items are por quality and poor quality items cost more long term.
How would that work for cheaper/ poor quality foods? Is it that smaller boxes/packs cost more per 100g? Most shops show the cost per kg or 100 or whatever in store, so Jack's spreadsheet is redundant.
Then I think it has been suggested that it would track increases in goods through the last x number of years. Again, i don't think many people on the breadline give a tit about the average/increased cost of bread for the last 5 years, they care if they can afford it now. Informative maybe but not helpful to those in need. So VBI is pretty pointless here too for thise who actually need to budget.
Then i wonder if it is tracking the cost of shopping vs income, but hasn't that been done too..
Someone please explain thsi because I just don't understand what it is or, more importantly, what it is FOR

D322F558-C6D0-4B22-BA60-B8C9FABF506E.jpeg

Oh the car number plate says Wee Fud which kind of means head in Scotland not Scottish ffs šŸ„•is a fud

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25

As @Jenny2603 Said
SEND EXPLANATIONOS.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
The Vines boots index is like Nessie. Nobodyā€™s seen it yet people keep popping up claiming it exists

• Haha
Reactions: 45
Some squig is already squatting on the .co.uk!

Hmmm, a typo in the title, maybe it actually is Jack's site!

That'll be something to do with her for sure, she's always so quick to try and trademark/stamp her name on everything (Marc Jacobs by Marc Jacobs etc). This is the woman that tried to trademark Lockdownlarder šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 35
You are totally right. This has no use at all. The criticism of ONS was that the data isn't updated often enough, and isn't relevant as poors aren't allowed legs of lamb or champagne. Goat legs and kombucha are allowed, obviously.

So 5 months later nothing has been published when the ONS update every 6 months. Hmmm.

When I was skint I couldn't care less about other people's shopping, or what happened 2 years ago - I cared about what I could buy that week. I wouldn't want to speak for everyone, but I agree with you: I am will more interested in what I can afford next week or next month, not that pasta was 5p cheaper in 2017. I would be surprised if someone took solace in the fact Tesco sold beans for 9p once.

It's a vanity project, it got likes and press coverage but will never come to fruition. The analogy doesn't work for food, because 100g of pasta is as filling whether it cost 5p or 50p - the taste might vary but not how many people it serves.

• Heart
Reactions: 56
You are totally right. This has no use at all. The criticism of ONS was that the data isn't updated often enough, and isn't relevant as poors aren't allowed legs of lamb or champagne. Goat legs and kombucha are allowed, obviously.

So 5 months later nothing has been published when the ONS update every 6 months. Hmmm.

When I was skint I couldn't care less about other people's shopping, or what happened 2 years ago - I cared about what I could buy that week. I wouldn't want to speak for everyone, but I agree with you: I am will more interested in what I can afford next week or next month, not that pasta was 5p cheaper in 2017. I would be surprised if someone took solace in the fact Tesco sold beans for 9p once.

It's a vanity project, it got likes and press coverage but will never come to fruition. The analogy doesn't work for food, because 100g of pasta is as filling whether it cost 5p or 50p - the taste might vary but not how many people it serves.
Everything about it doesnā€™t stand up to any scrutiny. Is she planning to keep it constantly updated? If itā€™s not then all it does is tell you about price increases at a fixed point in time, which is bugger all use to anyone. The only marginally useful thing it was mooted to be doing was showing if lower priced food was raising in cost faster than more expensive food, but the ONS have done their own report on this and come to the conclusion that on the whole price rises are happening at the same rate. Iā€™d trust the ONS over Jack any given day.

Reactions: 38
I feel this lull might be a good time to ask the question that has been plaguing me:

How in Godā€™s name do we pronounce ā€˜Vimesā€™?

V-eye-ms?
Vim-es?
Vee-mes?
Performative bullshit oops sorry that one snuck in there
V-eye-mez?
With a silent V?
Veem?

Enquiring minds want to know.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
View attachment 1333541

Oh the car number plate says Wee Fud which kind of means head in Scotland not Scottish ffs šŸ„•is a fud
To be forensic about itšŸ˜
A fud is the name given to the tail of a rabbit and therefore ladies front bums became known as fuds because of the pubes resemblanceā€¦..
Either that all my whole life Iā€™ve been under misapprehension.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 36
I feel this lull might be a good time to ask the question that has been plaguing me:

How in Godā€™s name do we pronounce ā€˜Vimesā€™?

V-eye-ms?
Vim-es?
Vee-mes?
Performative bullshit oops sorry that one snuck in there
V-eye-mez?
With a silent V?
Veem?

Enquiring minds want to know.
Rhymes with times!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 26
A fud is the name given to the tail of a rabbit and therefore ladies front bums became known as fuds because of the pubes resemblanceā€¦..
It is the same as fanny. Oddly enough I don't like the word and I rarely use it

I also don't like the c word and I've only ever used it on here in relation to Jack

Funny that

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Our favourite game is finding number plates that we would totally refuse.

(I donā€™t know if you can refuse number plates but the game is fun)

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.