Jack Monroe #291 What about the price of hummus?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A big fan of their work?

It's a government funded company. They regularly give influencers wads of cash to post a photo eating leftovers, with a wanky hashtag acting as if they've saved the world.

Is jack wanting some tax payers money?
She’s got 3 years worth of taxpayers money 😡

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 33
Imagine sleeping over your new squeezes house for them to clamber into bed with a grease riddled meal in the middle of the night, now if that's doesn't out you of Carnal relations then nothing would. 🤢🤢🤢

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 44
Also I was never one for it because it actually suppresses my appetite but loads of people at uni used to cook random tit a 2 am and declare it the best ever.
this was usually after the latest student bender though.

• Sad
Reactions: 28
Also I was never one for it because it actually suppresses my appetite but loads of people at uni used to cook radnom shot a 2 am and declare it the best ever.
this was usually after the latest student bender though.
She was being really surly and incoherent last night.....

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 38
I know she's done way worse things to be annoyed at but the eating in bed has just tipped me. Apologies to anyone who does it but I find it gross. If I'm having a bad pain day I'll tend to stay in bed but I still get up and sit at the table to drink tea or eat. She's just rank.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Same.

The story has elements that ring distant bells. As though she has picked them up from a film or a Guardian OpEd about something. But then the guilt sets in…
La Boheme? Rent?

I really appreciated the new details in the thread. The yellow sticker ginger, the dressing gowns. Adding unnecessary lurid details a decade later doesn't make me think Jack is lying, not at all

May I call on a maths person to speak on the £6 turning into quadruple figures?

Screenshot_20220422-220349_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220422-220315_Chrome.jpg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 35
😳 that could be awkward if she’s involved with whispers, a man!
It didn’t stop gingerbread from working with her, even though she isn’t a single parent. They are satisfied that she identifies as one; so using that same analogy maybe she can identify as a lesbian whilst in a relationship with a male.

• Haha
Reactions: 39
Omfg content aside (this will affect other people in ways it won’t affect me so I will leave that response to them) this is not how Twitter is supposed to be used!! Put it on your broken website you absolute narc!!
This is a brilliant point

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I know she's done way worse things to be annoyed at but the eating in bed has just tipped me. Apologies to anyone who does it but I find it gross. If I'm having a bad pain day I'll tend to stay in bed but I still get up and sit at the table to drink tea or eat. She's just rank.
I don't even like eating in bed on mother's day. I actually sit on the side of the bed and eat because my kids normally demand I stay upstairs so they can surprise me. I clear a space on my beside table and eat sitting on the side of the bed.

Her origin story sounds like it's been lifted from some gothic novel in the 1800s.

How did her bank charges get so bad. She was only without income for what like 6 weeks, I don't think bank charges quadruple that quick, also if she had of phoned the bank and explained they could have done something to help her afford it or possibly freeze the charges for a few weeks.

Her poverty story doesn't scream down on their luck it screams, being unprepared, crap with money and not facing their issues head on. Her life might have been easier of she had of phone up these companies at the start explained she was awaiting benefits and set up a pre paid plan, not burying ones head in the sand.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
La Boheme? Rent?

I really appreciated the new details in the thread. The yellow sticker ginger, the dressing gowns. Adding unnecessary lurid details a decade later doesn't make me think Jack is lying, not at all

May I call on a maths person to speak on the £6 turning into quadruple figures?

View attachment 1212709View attachment 1212711
So I've assumed a flat 40% annual interest figure. That takes 16 years to go to 4 figures.

Column A is the debt at the start of the year, column B at the end.

Screenshot_2022-04-22-13-22-14-55_87869c5c71fa0655e350912352595c23.jpg

That's assuming no extra debt, one off charges etc.
Suggests the debt was higher initially, or using pay day loan companies.
The 40% was picked as a friend had that as a catalogue rate, and couldn't work out why her debts barely down each month.
But overall, sounds as accurate as the 344% price hike.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 42
Maybe Jack needs to dig out these to help her sleep. The famous sleep mask from thread 1 post one View attachment 1212702
She had to stop because Harold doesn’t like it, too new fangled for his tastes.

He wakes her up at 2 to go to the loo, so she just multi tasks and makes snacks (in the dark of course) ,not on the meal plan because they are free (2am rules)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 26
She doesn’t seem to get up before lunchtime. Unless, of course, she uses that time to clean her large house. I take it she doesn’t have a garden, she never seems to mention it.
Oh she does indeed have a garden a very large garden with many outbuildings, hammock, egg chairs, pizza oven and many chairs
6F31A577-43B9-4E86-8AC9-4B5CE0E640AF.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 64
So I've assumed a flat 40% annual interest figure. That takes 16 years to go to 4 figures.

View attachment 1212736

The 40% was picked as a friend had that as a catalogue rate, and couldn't work out why her debts barely down each month.
This table just sums up what I adore about these threads. You are all such a bunch of clever ninnies.

• Heart

View attachment 1212736

It feels likely to me that the £6 debt incurred a late payment fee (or multiple) plus letters which went unanswered and were probably added to the bill.
years ago Clydesdale Bank charged me two fees, one for an unpaid bill and another for going over my overdraft fee too. I think it cost me over £100 for something which was probably similar to Jack’s £6…
I’m almost certain Jack would have made a claim back for all her bank charges.

• Sad
Reactions: 22
but lunch today was supposed to be sausage panzanella - it's on the planner and everything!

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.